PDA

View Full Version : 998 V-Twin How many quarts

WEB-WVR
08-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Yes.....I have used the search function and have read various posts in the past....:bowdown:

So I have a 2014 ST-L V-twin 998

The specs says to use 4.5 quarts when both filters are changed.

I had read here where some of you are just putting in a straight gallon (4 guarts)...and that is that. :thumbup:

QUESTION: How much oil are you using on your oil change for this engine ??? or what would you recommend ?

I dont want an overfill issue with oil spraying all over the place. One needs to presume that if you put in a full 4.5 quarts that you actually drained out every last bit of the old oil....is that even possible ???

Planning ahead here....thank you oh great and knowledgeable ones ! :ohyea:

billybovine
08-22-2015, 06:06 PM
If you dump 4 liters/quarts in at once the oil tank will overflow because it is not big enough. Follow the procedure in the owner's manual. Start with 3 liters/quarts. Start and idle the engine for 2 minutes without revving. If you have a SE5. Make sure the parking brake is set and cycle the gear shift from neutral to 1st and back again a couple times to clear the air out of the HCM. Add about 3/4 liter/quart and top up from there. if you did a cold engine oil change, do not fill higher than half way between add and full.

oldgoat
08-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Just did an oil & filter change on my '08 GS SM5.

Didn't read the instructions & had forgotten what I did last time.

This time I warmed up the engine, drained reservoir & crankcase, changed the oil filter (I only have 1) then put 4 quarts of Amsoil into the reservoir.

It filled it right to the top of the filler neck.

I had to syphon a quart out & follow the instructions !!!

Old guys should read instructions as their memories are not always that sharp.

Chupaca
08-22-2015, 06:36 PM
billybovine
:agree: always refer to the manual to start with. Capasities are given for an empty to full senario. They will not be acurate on a working machine. Always put less and add as needed....:thumbup:

coz
08-22-2015, 06:37 PM
I've dumped in 4 and it's never overflowed......just sayin. It's an sm. matter of fact, I've always dumped in 4, and never had a problem. That's a big tank.

coz
08-22-2015, 06:47 PM
billybovine
:agree: always refer to the manual to start with. Capasities are given for an empty to full senario. They will not be acurate on a working machine. Always put less and add as needed....:thumbup:
That's What SHE Said.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

DrewNJ
08-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Start with 4qts. And go for a ride. You'll likely need to top off a bit on the SE but I highly doubt it will be 1/2qt.
I run exactly 4qts on my SM.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mazo EMS2
08-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Dump in 3, start and run motor for several minutes, shut it down and add the 4th. Good to go til next oil change. (unless you spring a leak of course)

JKMSPYDER
08-22-2015, 07:01 PM
I have an ST-S SE and always fill with 4qts and then crank the engine. The oil tank has never overflowed. I find that after riding for about 10 minutes, I check the oil again and add maybe 4 to 8 ozs. Once I had the dealer change the oil and I supplied the 5 qts. When I picked my Spyder up they gave me the qt bottle with 1/2 qt left. After I rode it home I checked it and it was overfilled. I think even when both filters are changed that there is still oil in the engine no matter how long you let it drain. So now I only fill with 4 qts and then check.

coz
08-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Now, I don't put it all in as fast as I can. It's a small hole, you have to go slow.:rolleyes:

Bfromla
08-22-2015, 07:22 PM
If you have that much doubt, may be best to take to dealer. :dontknow: The filter will absorb some but has to be done right. @ at right temps. Ive done many a change on other engines yet to try a spyder. Should be no problem. Tools would be only other complication, but not for dealer.

greatrides
08-22-2015, 08:10 PM
I have had a 2012 rs se5 and now a 2014 sts se5 and both of them took just over 4qts.

jerpinoy
08-22-2015, 11:10 PM
Good advice:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

billybovine
08-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Ok so you can dump in 4 qts at once. I overflowed the tank years ago and never tried again. Now I will be wondering why that happened.

AMTJIM
08-23-2015, 12:09 PM
I just pour it all in the airbox since it seems to prefer that location...

WEB-WVR
08-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Thank you all for the advice. :thumbup: I will of course follow the manual. It sounds like a lot of you go with 4 quarts and as said....yeah..I would bet it is difficult to get all the old oil out too.

I guess BahaRon goes with 4.25 quarts and keep the remainder for any future topping off as needed.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to this Winter; going to take off all the panels and study this monster. I plan to change out the air box then also. Oil changes by me in the future should not be an issue.... as long as my body will bend where needed ! :spyder2:

Thanks again ! :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
08-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Once I get my RT full, the total is 4 1/4 quarts.

coz
08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Ok so you can dump in 4 qts at once. I overflowed the tank years ago and never tried again. Now I will be wondering why that happened.
Wouldn't it start to drain down into the crankcase as you refill the tank? Just like when you shut the engine off after a ride, after a few minutes the oil level in the tank drops. It does take a few minutes to funnel four qt. into the tank.:dontknow:

Stridersr7
09-20-2018, 03:46 PM
So when I did my oil change with Motul 7100 5/30 I think with the oil and transmission filter. I think I found 2 drain holes on bottom and emptied them. Then put a gallon in maybe. Been awhile. So when you fill it up and if it’s too much oil then what? I mean is that bad? I’m bout to change it again cause it’s been 4K Miles on that full synthetic stuff with ESTER