PDA

View Full Version : transmission problem- wont shift

phagen28
08-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Parked my 2011 RT SE5, when I came back out to ride I started the machine, took off the park brake and flipped the paddle to go in 1st and it was like it was electronicaly disconnected and would not go forward or back up. I let it sit for awhile and it was fine. Called dealer and drove it in to their shop today about 50 miles. It drove normally about the 1st 30 miles then the trans problem warning came on and it wouldn't shift anymore. No downshift or upshift. At one redlight it started out in 4th gear(barely) because it couldn't shift down to 1st. I have left it at the shop for a look at the computer tomorrow but wondered if any have experienced this problem before and what they found out about it.

Chupaca
08-20-2015, 11:56 PM
there are several things that could cause this. Oil, gear position sensor, loose or disconnected shift arm bad actuator but if it is already at the shop they should be able to tell you...:gaah:

Peter Aawen
08-20-2015, 11:59 PM
The first thing to check if this happens is the oil level!! The engine & transmission share oil, the engines do use a little (as they should, especially if you work them hard, long&/or hot!) & if the oil gets low, usually the first thing you'll notice is that gear changes become more difficult. Too low, & even before the engine starts suffering any ill effects, you can often end up with no gear change at all!! :yikes:

Did you check the oil level before you took it in?? :sour:

Bob Denman
08-21-2015, 06:57 AM
:agree: One of the ways that the bike will tell you that the oil level needs attention...

.. is that it gets really cranky about the shifting chores. :shocked:

billybovine
08-21-2015, 11:41 AM
I am with the rest low oil. Must have been 1 1/2 quarts or more low.

Bob Denman
08-21-2015, 12:13 PM
If it doesn't turn out to be the oil level; then I'd start on the list that Gene put up there for you...
But let's all hope that it's the simplest thing to fix! :thumbup:

Geneticfreak
08-23-2015, 10:33 AM
I had the same issue and oil was the remedy. Didn't get a low oil indicator light, just started refusing to shift. I was disappointed that the dealer didn't even think to mention it, just jumped right to saying it was probably a bad solenoid and would cost around $2000 to replace. Oil should have been the first reaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phagen28
08-31-2015, 09:44 PM
well just an update on my Spyder RT. I have left it at the Dealer where I bought it. That was 8/20. I last talked to them today and they have checked the oil(ok) cleared codes, test drove and set same codes and some new codes.They told me they have a service ticket started with BRP but have gotten no call back.How could that be??I know it will likely be two weeks soon and I still won't have any info. I really don't know how to handle the situation now.

jimsrts15
08-31-2015, 10:36 PM
Call BRP and file your own complaint stating all that has happened with spyder and ask them to get fixed.

Bob Denman
09-01-2015, 07:15 AM
:agree: Our riding Season is short enough, without having the bike sitting in the shop. :gaah:

RosieriderKY
09-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Not sure if this is the same issue, but just in case, I picked up my brand new 2015 RTS SE6 2 Fridays ago and the following Wednesday with only 225 miles it would not shift and when it did it would die in about 3 minutes and I got E code where the gear indicator is. Found out there is a recall on the shift sensor. Dealer here got me going by yesterday and said they found water around the sensor. I have no idea how water would get there as it had not ever seen water unless it was the first 3 miles but I am glad to be back on the road and hope it does not happen again. Good luck. randy

bobgeorge
09-01-2015, 08:53 AM
I have had my 2015 RT for 1 month...1,145 miles and I got stuck in 4th gear while downshifting. The bike will not go forward. I got the below codes:

P195B - Line pressure too low, 5bar feed pilot pressure regulator broken, leak in clutch circuit
P195C - Line pressure valve stuck, particle ingestion valve damage
P07B1 - Clutch valve stuck open on tank, a particle made the valve to stick in its close to tank position

Mine is at the dealer now. I'm waiting to hear the issue after they run diagnostics.

5legsshort
09-01-2015, 11:10 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?84810-2015-RT-Recall

bobgeorge
09-01-2015, 12:04 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?84810-2015-RT-Recall

The tech typed in my VIN and said there were no recalls on my unit.

phagen28
09-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Ok, got my Spyder back today. The dealer hooked up on BUDS retrieved code PO902 clutch solenoid INOP.
Replaced clutch solenoid. Road tested rechecked for codes and found none. thanks for the interest and the things to look for.

billybovine
09-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Ok, got my Spyder back today. The dealer hooked up on BUDS retrieved code PO902 clutch solenoid INOP.
Replaced clutch solenoid. Road tested rechecked for codes and found none. thanks for the interest and the things to look for.

Thanks for updating us.

A bad solenoid. Not really that serious a problem, of the possibilities of what it could have been.