PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT-S Trailer Wiring Facts Posted....

Windagetray
08-20-2015, 06:29 PM
OK. So, for anyone who wants to hook ANY applicable wiring harness into the 2014 Spyder RT-S, here is some help.

The connecter into which you install the "Y" harness is connector CIC2 (Cargo Inter Connector 2)
CIC2 is located in "Zone 7" which is under the left rear of the seat and behind the left rear cargo box.

The pinout for CIC2 is as follows:

A-Black 16AWG wire GROUND

B-Orange 20AWG wire for TAIL LIGHTS and LICENSE PLATE LIGHT

C-White 20AWG wire for BRAKE LIGHTS

D-Pink/Beige 20AWG wire for BACK UP LIGHTS

E-Brown/Yellow 20AWG wire for RIGHT TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS

F-Gray/Pink 20AWF wire for LEFT TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS

G- not used

H-Orange/Violet 16AWG to BATTERY [actually to 10AMP fuse F4 (trailer module) in the Right Fuse Block]

J- not used

K- not used

NOW....which is pin "A" you ask......

Looking INTO the FEMALE connector:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114131&stc=1 "A" is the upper right pin, "E" is the upper left pin, "F" is the lower right pin, and "K" is the lower left pin.

Looking into the MALE connector:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114132&stc=1 "A" is the upper left pin, "E" is the upper right pin, "F" is the lower left pin, "K" is the lower right pin.

I hope this helps someone out!

I will post more as I go through my trailer wiring project....

finless
08-20-2015, 08:38 PM
NICE INFO!

I wondered what that connector was for. On my 2011 RTS it between the battery and the front of the left passenger grip. It is attached to the frame with a connector attachment gizmo that has a release latch.

Now I know what that is!

Thanks!

Bob

Windagetray
08-21-2015, 07:26 AM
I am not sure that the pinout and colors would be the same on a 2011. They COULD be....but, I just wouldn't bet on it because I just don't know anything about the earlier models!

NICE INFO!

I wondered what that connector was for. On my 2011 RTS it between the battery and the front of the left passenger grip. It is attached to the frame with a connector attachment gizmo that has a release latch.

Now I know what that is!

Thanks!

Bob

billybovine
08-21-2015, 11:36 AM
I am not sure that the pinout and colors would be the same on a 2011. They COULD be....but, I just wouldn't bet on it because I just don't know anything about the earlier models!

All RT's and ST's, all model years are the same pin out and color codes. That is why a 2015 hitch, with harness, as stated in the catalog will fit all years.

Windagetray
08-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Thank you. I'll take that as "gospel" until someone proves otherwise!

Too bad they didn't keep the trailer harnesses/connections the same for all those years!

All RT's and ST's, all model years are the same pin out and color codes. That is why a 2015 hitch, with harness, as stated in the catalog will fit all years.

Windagetray
08-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Thank you. I'll take that as "gospel" until someone proves otherwise!

Too bad they didn't keep the trailer harnesses/connections the same for all those years!

OK. I found a wiring color issue! Remember that my RT-S is a 2014 but, the "Y" harness I am using is has a sticker indicating it was made in 2010. Pin "H" which should be coming from the battery is listed on the 2014 as Orange with a Violet tracer (and it is) however, the 16 AWG wire on the "Y" connector is solid BLUE! All of the other wire colors on the "Y" harness match the colors listed for the 2014 connector CIC2. Just the "H" pin is a different color. ALSO note that the blue wire is ONLY on the part of the "Y" connector (I think it's the male connector) that hooks to the Spyder connector coming from the front (battery) of the bike. The 12VDC lead on pin "H" is there ONLY to connect to a trailer light isolator! In other words, it does NOT pass through the female connector. There is nothing "downstream" to which it would connect.

I will make any other corrections as I find them. When I'm all done, I'll post appropriate pictures and correct the first post with my findings.

billybovine
08-21-2015, 11:08 PM
OK. I found a wiring color issue! Remember that my RT-S is a 2014 but, the "Y" harness I am using is has a sticker indicating it was made in 2010. Pin "H" which should be coming from the battery is listed on the 2014 as Orange with a Violet tracer (and it is) however, the 16 AWG wire on the "Y" connector is solid BLUE! All of the other wire colors on the "Y" harness match the colors listed for the 2014 connector CIC2. Just the "H" pin is a different color. ALSO note that the blue wire is ONLY on the part of the "Y" connector (I think it's the male connector) that hooks to the Spyder connector coming from the front (battery) of the bike. The 12VDC lead on pin "H" is there ONLY to connect to a trailer light isolator! In other words, it does NOT pass through the female connector. There is nothing "downstream" to which it would connect.

I will make any other corrections as I find them. When I'm all done, I'll post appropriate pictures and correct the first post with my findings.

That's correct that 10 amp power circuit is only to power the isolator. So is only on the male end of the Y

Also note the backup light circuit only passes through and is not connected to the isolator.

Windagetray
08-22-2015, 06:41 PM
That's correct that 10 amp power circuit is only to power the isolator. So is only on the male end of the Y

Also note the backup light circuit only passes through and is not connected to the isolator.

Yes, and there were two very short red wires (20AWG) about 3" or 4" long which pass through from one of the "Y" connectors to the other that are not used for trailer wiring functions either. I'm not sure if they serve any function on the Spyder or not....I'm sure they are there for some reason but can't find them on the wiring diagram.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Yes, and there were two very short red wires (20AWG) about 3" or 4" long which pass through from one of the "Y" connectors to the other that are not used for trailer wiring functions either. I'm not sure if they serve any function on the Spyder or not....I'm sure they are there for some reason but can't find them on the wiring diagram.
That's the backup light wire billy mentions. The Y harness wiring diagram is not in the service manual, and the colors in the Y harness don't all coincide with the bike harness colors they connect to. The red wire in the Y harness connects to the pink/beige wire in the bike harness.

billybovine
08-23-2015, 12:00 PM
That's the backup light wire billy mentions. The Y harness wiring diagram is not in the service manual, and the colors in the Y harness don't all coincide with the bike harness colors they connect to. The red wire in the Y harness connects to the pink/beige wire in the bike harness.

I agree that there is no reason the "Y" harness wire colors need to be the same as the Spyder harness. If I was the design engineer it would be. OCD :D

If those 2 red wires are connected to pins J & K. Those could be the remnants of a system to see if a RT622 trailer was connected. If so that has been long since been abandoned. Let me know if that is right.

Windagetray
08-25-2015, 09:10 PM

The two red wires are very short and connect male "J" to female "J" and male "K" to female "K" DIRECTLY. NEITHER went to the isolator/9-pin connector. I'm not sure if the older trailers had back up lights or not but for some reason the pink/beige (backup lights) from the mail "Y" connector did in fact go to the isolator and then returned back to the female "Y" connector. ALL wire colors matched the 2014 CIC2 colors except the battery connection as previously stated. When I cut the harness apart, I had to splice the pink/beige from the male back to the female so (hopefully!!) my back up lights still work.

Windagetray
08-25-2015, 09:19 PM
I agree that there is no reason the "Y" harness wire colors need to be the same as the Spyder harness. If I was the design engineer it would be. OCD :D

If those 2 red wires are connected to pins J & K. Those could be the remnants of a system to see if a RT622 trailer was connected. If so that has been long since been abandoned. Let me know if that is right.

I wonder if it would be more prudent to cut those red wires or just leave them connected? As stated in my reply to WasWinger, they go directly from the male to the female of the "Y" connectors. I could imagine that they would tell the "nanny" that a wiring harness has been installed but since nothing regarding them changes as a trailer is connected or disconnected....I'm not sure how the nanny would know if the trailer was connected or not. I didn't see any indication in the 2014 RT-S that "J" or "K" pins of CIC2 are connected to anything at all so, it probably doesn't matter what I do with the red wires......

FWIW- I just completed the harness tonight and so long as BRP used the conventional pin assignments for the various lights, it should at this point be plug and play. If BRP went "rogue" on the pin assignment....I'll have a bit more work to do....

billybovine
08-26-2015, 09:47 AM
I wonder if it would be more prudent to cut those red wires or just leave them connected? As stated in my reply to WasWinger, they go directly from the male to the female of the "Y" connectors. I could imagine that they would tell the "nanny" that a wiring harness has been installed but since nothing regarding them changes as a trailer is connected or disconnected....I'm not sure how the nanny would know if the trailer was connected or not. I didn't see any indication in the 2014 RT-S that "J" or "K" pins of CIC2 are connected to anything at all so, it probably doesn't matter what I do with the red wires......

FWIW- I just completed the harness tonight and so long as BRP used the conventional pin assignments for the various lights, it should at this point be plug and play. If BRP went "rogue" on the pin assignment....I'll have a bit more work to do....

By your description it sounds like you got it. Now to find a clean neat routing and install that works for you.