PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate seat

Ex Winger
08-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Just installed the Ultimate mid rider seat on my RTS today not a big job.Doing about 1300km in the next 3 days so that will be the test.I got the rain covers for the seat.Do you use them every time it rains or just heavy rains?Exspensive so I hope this is the right seat.
Bill:yes:

Brian Kay
08-19-2015, 03:19 PM
How your trip did on that seat. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the "tall" version.

Need info, updates, etc. Good luck!

MisterP
08-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Ultimate told me to put the rain cover on whenever rain threatens. The seat is not waterproof and you don't want to get the foam wet.

Ex Winger
08-19-2015, 03:43 PM
How your trip did on that seat. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the "tall" version.

Need info, updates, etc. Good luck!
I,ll. let you know after our trip.Any thing has to be better than the stock seat.
Bill

ARtraveler
08-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Let us know how the long trip works out and how the new Ultimate performed. :yes:

trikermutha
08-19-2015, 11:47 PM
I haven't used the stupid rain cover yet..just wipe with rag and go..

ronrico
08-20-2015, 12:15 AM
I had the tall on my 2011 and never used the rain covers and just loved the seat. I like long rides and this seat just make those ride just so much better. Going to get another one for my 2014 and soon I figure out which color combo I want.

Justacruisin
08-20-2015, 08:29 AM
I ordered my Ultimate seat with driver back-rest for a 2014 ST-Limited yesterday. Should be in, in about 3 weeks.

I also had a custom exhaust installed this week. Sounds great. A nice mellow sound while cursing. Give it the gas,

"Music to my ears."

Justacruisin;)

Bob Denman
08-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Ultimate told me to put the rain cover on whenever rain threatens. The seat is not waterproof and you don't want to get the foam wet.
I wonder what steps would be necessary to make this less of an issue with these seats? Wrap the foam cushion with plastic, before installing the cover? :dontknow:

2 Cruysyn
08-20-2015, 09:35 AM
...I got the rain covers for the seat. Do you use them every time it rains or just heavy rains? Expensive so I hope this is the right seat.
Bill

I use mine when it looks like it's going to rain. That's not to say my Ultimate has never been rained on. Some times you just don't know. As Des (Ultimate) explained it to me it's the stitching. Get it wet enough and, over time, capillary action will carry the water to where you don't want it.

Borrowed from the Ultimate site;

We use the finest available marine grade vinyl for our seat covers. They look and feel like leather, but have much better resistance to the weather elements. We do not use plastic between our foam and cover like the original seat that came on your motorcycle because we want our seats to breathe. Manufacturing our motorcycle seats without the sheet of plastic between the vinyl and foam allows for a cooler ride.

You spent the money why not protect your "expensive" investment whenever you can?

OverHillAndDale
08-20-2015, 11:52 AM
I wonder what steps would be necessary to make this less of an issue with these seats? Wrap the foam cushion with plastic, before installing the cover? :dontknow:

Ultimate claims that every other seat manufacturer does this except them, and the reason is that such a wrap holds in heat. Don't know if that's valid, but they claim this is a differentiator with them.

The seat cover isn't bad (made by Frogg Toggs) and is easy enough to put on. It comes in a very small stuff bag and doesn't take up much room to store. However, it does annoy me if I look outside and see rain when my bike is outside. Mine has actually gotten wet a few times with no side effects, but it's never been drenched and left wet.

peterparker
08-20-2015, 12:11 PM
I ordered my Ultimate seat with driver back-rest for a 2014 ST-Limited yesterday. Should be in, in about 3 weeks.

I also had a custom exhaust installed this week. Sounds great. A nice mellow sound while cursing. Give it the gas,

"Music to my ears."

Justacruisin;)

I like mellow sounds when I curse too!!:roflblack:

Blue_VGR
08-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Greetings - I have had a Russell Daylong seat for my Kawasaki Voyager and this company also does not wrap their seat. I was told that I should use the cover when it looks like rain while riding. Several times I've had to leave the bike outside in the rain and always put the cover on the seat and most of the times put the entire bike cover.

Ultimate claims that every other seat manufacturer does this except them, and the reason is that such a wrap holds in heat. Don't know if that's valid, but they claim this is a differentiator with them.

Ex Winger
08-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Did just over 1600 km in 4 days.Not a big ride but this seat is great.Stock seat I would never have went on this trip.When I ordered the seat I told them if I can,t get it in one week keep it.It was delivered at noon before our trip.Have to thank Amanda at Ultimate seats as she called to see if we got it on time as she knew I wanted to get it.
Bill

Bob Denman
08-24-2015, 05:48 PM
:congrats: Glad to hear that it did the trick! :clap: :thumbup: