PDA

View Full Version : 2015 RT Recall?

Roadster Renovations
08-18-2015, 06:10 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113860&stc=1

This says it effects the RT also. Found it on Facebook. Not sure if it's true, but it looks official.

Bob Denman
08-18-2015, 07:22 AM
:shocked: It's a bit tough to read... :dontknow:
Someone should PM Steve about this.

Roadster Renovations
08-18-2015, 07:43 AM
If it's true it should have been posted here first. They need to be proactive about this stuff.

spydaman60
08-18-2015, 07:46 AM
it does say "a limited number----", so maybe they are just trying to kep it under the radar and direct it to those effected. :banghead:

MikeT
08-18-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm brand new to the Spyder family, and how things work, so I apologize for the perverbial " I got a dumb question".
This document that Doc Humphries has posted certainly looks official. If the validity of this is confirmed by Steve???? Does this work like an auto recall??????
1.BRP sends you a letter with information on, and instructions on how to comply with the recall
2. You make an appointment with any BRP dealer
3. Dealer" sends in" recall completion info.
The catch always is: when will the part(s) be available??????????
Thanks

PrairieSpyder
08-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Looking at the top margin . . it's printed from a web-site BRP.service. (can't make out the rest)

It also says owners should be notified.

Could this be something put out to the dealer service people?

Sarge707
08-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Its a Contaminated Liquid in the Gear Position Sensor in Limited quantitys of Spyder F3 and RT models. P-codes, Trouble shifting may occur and in rare cases Sudden Heart Attack, Brain hemorage or immediate impotency?:yikes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Looking at the top margin . . it's printed from a web-site BRP.service. (can't make out the rest)

It also says owners should be notified.

Could this be something put out to the dealer service people?

That's about what I was thinking... :thumbup:
It sounds as if BRP is playing this one, "Close to the vest".

finless
08-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Not a recall. Based on other documents like this I have seen many times, it's a TSB or Technical Service Bulletin that someone pulled off of BOSSWeb. Thus the URL printed at the top. Users cannot get these without a BOSSWeb subscription and login (that dealers have).
These do not get mailed to users!

Bob

Bob Denman
08-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks Bob! :thumbup:
I couldn't read the print on it well enough to determine if was just a TSB or not... :opps:

Magdave
08-18-2015, 03:39 PM
TSB's for any other vehicle on the road can be had. When is BRP going to grow up and keep their customers in the loop. They should be available for owners on their web site. We all know most of the dealers do not.

Roadster Renovations
08-18-2015, 04:06 PM
The dealer may have given this guy a copy. According to him, he was stranded and his bike was towed in with this cause..... And since it's Facebook, you know how that is....

finless
08-18-2015, 04:30 PM
TSB's for any other vehicle on the road can be had. When is BRP going to grow up and keep their customers in the loop. They should be available for owners on their web site. We all know most of the dealers do not.

100% agree Dave!!!!!
This is really stupid they keep this on the down low. Who are the helping by doing so?

Only thing I can think of is they have something to hide that they do not want owners to know!!!!
Or trying to keep a monopoly on service to dealers only!

Bob

loisk
08-18-2015, 04:59 PM
My thought is that TSBs are not made public because BRP does not want us all taking our spyders in to have the issue addressed as 'preventative maintenance'.
They would rather just supply & fit when needed.

OK as far as it goes, but in practice what this procedure means is that spyder riders are stuck on the side of the road, pay towing fees, liaise with a dealer who may or MAY NOT have read or remembered the TSB, resulting in delay and faffing around until they, if the rider is lucky, hit on the right cause of the problems.

Not Good BRP.

How about BRP put the TSBs on a website for all to see - and rely on us as thinking adults to treat the info as "good info to have" just in case, rather than presume (if that is indeed their way of thinking) that we'll all swamp dealers demanding the fix, whether we need it or not. We're all smart enough to know that problems occur, and that our bike may suffer but equally may be totally fine! I for one would love to know what to look for in the event that my bike stops on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere!!!

PS Not conspiracy theory at all - Marketing Theory

DrewNJ
08-18-2015, 05:29 PM

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ThreeFeet
08-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Cavman just got a new 2015 and has it in the shop at Cowtown for this problem. Don't think he got ANY notice. And so it goes. Kevin is getting it fixed and Cavman will have it back this week. Not all dealers have a tech who knows anything about the spyder. Some do more damage than they help. The fix requires the tech to take the side panel of the gear box and replace the sensor. BIG job with any problems after could be a real PIA. The job has to be done right!!

Cavman
08-18-2015, 08:32 PM
I was told what they found they called BRP about it. BRP had never seen/heard of such a thing and to send the parts so their techs could study the parts?
Something was not being oiled inside thus my transmission went wacky. It's HCM issues.

xBobbyx
08-19-2015, 01:04 AM
That's what happened to mine. Got my 15 RT a few weeks ago. It went out the second day I had it. They came and picked it up and had it for a day and brought it back. They even told me about the sensor before I left with my bike. But said there was no way to tell which sensors would fail and when. My sensor went out and was flashing R and N with an E in the gear indicator box. You could get it in gear but shifting was tricky. Sometimes it shifted and other times it didn't. Luckily I was close to home when it happened. All is well now. Love my SPYDER!!!

Magdave
08-19-2015, 12:16 PM
That's what happened to mine. Got my 15 RT a few weeks ago. It went out the second day I had it. They came and picked it up and had it for a day and brought it back. They even told me about the sensor before I left with my bike. But said there was no way to tell which sensors would fail and when. My sensor went out and was flashing R and N with an E in the gear indicator box. You could get it in gear but shifting was tricky. Sometimes it shifted and other times it didn't. Luckily I was close to home when it happened. All is well now. Love my SPYDER!!!

And that is why you make it a recall and not a TSB. Not knowing which ones will fail and when is reason to replace them all. Having your bike die in the wrong neighborhood could lead to very bad things :yikes:

finless
08-19-2015, 12:44 PM
And that is why you make it a recall and not a TSB. Not knowing which ones will fail and when is reason to replace them all. Having your bike die in the wrong neighborhood could lead to very bad things :yikes:

+100 Dave.... it's BS to know you have a problem but not do something about it leaving people stranded.

Same with the huge number of DESS issues being reported this year! It's stranding people and many dealers do not go check TSB's every day to know there is an issue..... Thus the DESS gets cleared by BUDs and they send the customer off to get stranded again.

They DO need to open this up so owners can be smart about things!

I became aware of this issue when I had the set screw on my oil drain plug.... If it wasn’t for Lamont finding the TSB on BOSSweb it would have gone down badly. None of the Dealers I talked to about it even knew about the set screw issue! I am sure there are many people running around missing that oil passage set screw because it got tossed and disregarded during an oil change by the dealer.

I have a feeling there are far too many TSB's and TST's on BOSSweb for any, or even good techs to remember all of them across all models! If they open this to us, we that truly care about or ride can have that knowledge base....

OPEN IT UP BRP PLEASE!

Bob

Roadster Renovations
08-19-2015, 02:57 PM
+100 Dave.... it's BS to know you have a problem but not do something about it leaving people stranded.

Same with the huge number of DESS issues being reported this year! It's stranding people and many dealers do not go check TSB's every day to know there is an issue..... Thus the DESS gets cleared by BUDs and they send the customer off to get stranded again.

They DO need to open this up so owners can be smart about things!

I became aware of this issue when I had the set screw on my oil drain plug.... If it wasn’t for Lamont finding the TSB on BOSSweb it would have gone down badly. None of the Dealers I talked to about it even knew about the set screw issue! I am sure there are many people running around missing that oil passage set screw because it got tossed and disregarded during an oil change by the dealer.

I have a feeling there are far too many TSB's and TST's on BOSSweb for any, or even good techs to remember all of them across all models! If they open this to us, we that truly care about or ride can have that knowledge base....

OPEN IT UP BRP PLEASE!

Bob

I agree 100%. Not only that, but we as owners will only concentrate on our particular bikes.

CharlieIndia
08-26-2015, 09:01 PM
I bought a new 2015 rts se6 drove it little over a hundred mi. the spyder died shifting into 4th gear. R-N- E on the screen. If they r aware of the problem why not fix it, first not only bad p.r, law suits r probable if it dies like that on a busy freeway and some one gets hurt or worse yet:gaah: dies! Lucky I was close enough to limp home. Not even a week old and in the shop. This can't be good for brp after a few 2013 spyders caught fire.:banghead:

Dave7691
08-26-2015, 09:30 PM
I bought a new 2015 rts se6 drove it little over a hundred mi. the spyder died shifting into 4th gear. R-N- E on the screen. If they r aware of the problem why not fix it, first not only bad p.r, law suits r probable if it dies like that on a busy freeway and some one gets hurt or worse yet:gaah: dies! Lucky I was close enough to limp home. Not even a week old and in the shop. This can't be good for brp after a few 2013 spyders caught fire.:banghead:

Ours has 400+ miles on it 2 days on the road same thing but on a four lane highway and no shoulder to pull over on .
just picked it up now the trans slips in first gear how could they tell me it was all fixed , that just shows they never road tested it.
They never ran the vin before it left the shop at time of purchase or this would not have happened .
the day we brought it in to be fixed they told me if there was a program out on it they wouldn't of let it go out but later in the day they said it was one of the one that needed to be replaced .
so once again trailering it back to the dealer .

Chupaca
08-26-2015, 11:18 PM
this is very similar to the dess failures going on as well. They change them as they fail...I've always said change them all then let the manufacturer deal with them. We have seen several fail more than once so even the replacements are dubious parts...:banghead::banghead: hope this issue is short lived...:pray:

WellsboroSpyder
08-29-2015, 05:39 AM
I'm brand new to the Spyder family, and how things work, so I apologize for the perverbial " I got a dumb question".
This document that Doc Humphries has posted certainly looks official. If the validity of this is confirmed by Steve???? Does this work like an auto recall??????
1.BRP sends you a letter with information on, and instructions on how to comply with the recall
2. You make an appointment with any BRP dealer
3. Dealer" sends in" recall completion info.
The catch always is: when will the part(s) be available??????????
Thanks

This is not a recall. It's a tech bulletin ment for spyder dealers to be aware of.

ulflyer
08-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Surely BRP has some idea what the VIN numbers are so the Techs could check them before they went out the door! :(

HIspyder
08-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Would those of you who have been affected by a bad GBPS post your model and Production date?

MikeT
08-29-2015, 01:31 PM
In reading thru the posts here, it seems like these failures are with the "newer" delivered units. I have no idea how BRP/Can-Am identifies their production runs during the calendar year, or the model year.Somewhere this info is in code on the unit. It wouldbe nice toknw what units are potentially affected, and which units are OK.

Magdave
08-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Apparently they do not know the VIN range or all units are potential candidates but their response is for the customer to find out the hard way if theirs is one of them. Add to that some repaired units have failed more than once and you have this. :dontknow:

RSFX2
08-31-2015, 05:59 PM
Picked it up from dealer Aug 27 took it back to dealer Aug 31 early and picked up that afternoon. Same symptoms, R - N flashing, hard to get into gear and finally no reverse the morning of the 32st. Told them about the service document in the first post. They drained and flushed the system and replaced the sensor. Problem solved thanks to this thread. Had less than 100 miles when problem occurred, now have over 500, and it runs great.

RSFX2
09-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Got my dates wrong, looked at the wrong calendar. But, the facts are correct.

RosieriderKY
09-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Yes it is real recall. I picked up my new RTS SE6 2 Fridays ago and the following Wednesday with @220 miles it did the dreaded E-code thing and would die, not shift or die in about 3 minutes when it did start.
When I got it to the dealer they said they had not seen any issues like that, they read codes and said they were all shift codes likely operator error. I called CanAM and after I gave them my VIN they told me mine was 1 affected by the recall for the shift sensor. I called the dealer then and they them agreed it must be a recall issue. They got is done in 2 days so I am very happy with the dealer service here in Cinci. Got it back last night and so far after 90 miles no issues. Loving my new ride. Wish I had gotten it sooner. good luck w yours.:clap:

bobgeorge
09-01-2015, 08:58 AM

I got stuck in 4th gear on Sunday. I couldn't move to I had to get towed to the dealer. They checked & told me there were to recalls or bulletins out. I have a 2015 RT. I've had it for 1 month and have 1,134 miles.

djh
09-05-2015, 03:38 PM
I work in sales at a Can_Am Dealership, it's only on certain Vin#. From what my service Dept told me some has a bad shift sensor.... We have/had 48 new models in and so far NONE has the recall

Bob Denman
09-05-2015, 05:26 PM
I work in sales at a Can_Am Dealership, it's only on certain Vin#. From what my service Dept told me some has a bad shift sensor.... We have/had 48 new models in and so far NONE has the recall
Since this appears to be an "in-exact science"; could you please let us know if any of your unaffected bikes, end up affected?
hanks! :thumbup: