PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Heard From MurphyBrown?

JKMSPYDER
08-17-2015, 09:03 PM
I was watching the national news tonight and it was reported that a bunch of homes were destroyed today in Chelan, WA by the out-of-control forest fires. Has anyone heard from MurphyBrown? I pray that she and her home are OK.

Peter Aawen
08-17-2015, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure the other thread asking after her said she was off on a trip somewhere... :sour:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?84773-Wild-Fires

cyclekid58
08-17-2015, 10:09 PM
I was watching the national news tonight and it was reported that a bunch of homes were destroyed today in Chelan, WA by the out-of-control forest fires. Has anyone heard from MurphyBrown? I pray that she and her home are OK.

As of this evening the fire had come to within 100 feet of her house, but with the powerful efforts of the firefighters her house was spared, she will be without power for a bit yet as poles were burnt. The area is still burning but the area around her property has already burnt so she should be ok.

Fred-WA
08-18-2015, 12:05 AM
She should be home on or before 08/23.

retired1
08-18-2015, 06:17 AM
As of this evening the fire had come to within 100 feet of her house, but with the powerful efforts of the firefighters her house was spared, she will be without power for a bit yet as poles were burnt. The area is still burning but the area around her property has already burnt so she should be ok.

That is really great to hear!!

Bob Denman
08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
While that is certainly too close for comfort... :shocked:
It sounds like some pretty good news! :thumbup:
(I hope that there's no smoke damage inside!)

PrairieSpyder
08-18-2015, 07:46 AM
She's on her way home from a wedding in Nebraska. She's planning to hold a reception for the newly-weds soon after she gets home. I hope her house and surrounding area is in a state that she can do so.

Fred-WA
08-20-2015, 03:57 AM
Her home is safe. DC 10 dropped fire retardant in her neighborhood. Still many level 3 evacuations taking place in surrounding towns.

PrairieSpyder
08-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Her home is safe. DC 10 dropped fire retardant in her neighborhood. Still many level 3 evacuations taking place in surrounding towns.

Fred, how about your place? Have you and Cathy been affected by the fires? :pray:

murphybrown
08-20-2015, 09:51 AM

The fire actually started on the hill (Butte) right across from me...fire came to within 100 ft of my property..but thanks to God, family, friends and firefighters all was OK...there is still alot of fuel around me.. and last night the winds kicked up and a hot spot 'exploded' but a helicopter dumped a load and took care of that. Saddest is the 3 firefighters that were lost yesterday about 20 minutes (as the crow flies from me). We have alot of fires in this area, but I can say that this has been the worst...many folks have lost everything. Right now my focus is seeing how I can help out the community ... lots of volunteers wanted/needed and stepping forward. Thanks so much for asking...makes me feel very humble and loved. This morning still smokey, my eyes don't like, but no wind .. resources are limited so that makes all these fires even harder to get contained. Yesterday I went to Safeway when they opened (6:00 a.m.) and the shelves looked like Mother Hubbard's cupboard and all employees were stocking like mad. I was without power for close to 50 hours...I loaned my generator to someone with a greater need...so that was the worst...ugh rotten meat smells sooooo bad!!! :yikes: But got all cleaned and spiffed up and left some coin with Safeway...yep all is good in my world. Coffee is abundant and that's where I'm headed now for my big cup!! Again thanks.

murphybrown
08-20-2015, 09:53 AM
She's on her way home from a wedding in Nebraska. She's planning to hold a reception for the newly-weds soon after she gets home. I hope her house and surrounding area is in a state that she can do so.

Heck 300 people that are from this area...makes no diff what the condition of my place is...they will have a party in the middle of a cow pasture and think it is wonderful. Gotta luv country folk!!!

murphybrown
08-20-2015, 09:57 AM
She should be home on or before 08/23.

Had an awesome wedding in NE, but because of the fire I beat a hasty trail to home. Rode a total of about 24 hours...covered 1600 miles. As most know I avoid freeways...love the backroads..not this time it was freeways all the way...gotta admit 80 speed limit is mighty sweeeeet...but it does kill the mpg..:yikes:. But the Spyder ran like the champ that "he" is...:bowdown:

cognaccruiser
08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the update Karyl. The fire maps showed it was close to your place and happy it was just close, not on top.

Yes, very sad about the 3 firefighters lost near Twisp/Winthrop. Also 4 injured, 1 critical. Have ridden there many times.

We are experiencing the same conditions as you and it is stacking up to be one of the worst seasons ever. The border between Washington and southern BC doesn't stop much. Have had several fires close by and numerous homes lost and sadly livestock but no folks thankfully. All still active and more popping up daily. The weather is staying hot and dry and the winds are not cooperating much.

Twice we have had suppression suspended on 2 separate fires because some fool thought it would be cool to fly a remote control drone into the fire area interfering with aircraft and hence all activity. There are laws but you still have to catch them. One of our fires just east of Osoyoos that destroyed numerous homes and livestock was in all probability caused by a discarded cigarette.

Stay safe.

Gary