PDA

View Full Version : vacation spot

wiredgeorge
08-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Like some advice. I can't take any extended trips this fall due my wife's lack of vacation time. Several times this past year, my wife was forced to use vacation for family reasons and she won't have enough to put together two week until the spring. We pretty much only take trips in the spring and fall due to temps anyway. I have work related traveled all over the world but have not seen all the US. I would like to see the Grand Canyon and perhaps Monument Park in the Navajo Nation or Branson and take in some shows. I am pretty familiar with the Arkansas area and have done Eureka Springs in the past but never Branson.

My wife mentioned the Dakotas and Montana. Never been there either. She also mentioned Pigeon Forge (yeah, I know DollyWorld!) I ain't going to any eastern states as we have toured all of them up to the Mississippi so more likely west or north. Looking for destination suggestions where there is good scenery, few critters (if possible) and some interesting things to see and do. I ain't much for cities / shopping but we do enjoy places like Nashville. Just want something new (about two weeks including travel time).... suggestion?

ARtraveler
08-17-2015, 07:15 PM
South Dakota--Rapid City, Black Hills, Devils Tower Wyoming, and Badlands.

When I lived in MN, I went there at least once a year. Went back in 2014 and was not disappointed.

This will outshine Montana because of the great sites in a smaller area. Get one of those South Dakota trip planners and you will see what I am talking about. Not to far from Texas.

The western section of North Dakota is also pretty nice. Teddy Roosevelt National Park, Buffalo, mini Badlands.

wyliec
08-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Yosemite and Bryce Canyon

Highwayman2013
08-17-2015, 09:49 PM
The Black Hills in SD are very nice. I only moved to Nevada a short time ago but have found some interesting riding around Las Vegas. Death Valley is very nice in the spring or fall. Lake Mead National Recreation Area has some great views. Hoover Dam and about 100 miles north is Southern Utah, grand Canyon to the south. Here is a place to stay away from town:http://www.mtcharlestonresort.com/113847Death Valley

GOZFST
08-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Well in the Rapid City area you have Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, The Badlands, Deadwood, Bear Country (drive through wildlife park), Reptile Gardens (largest collection of reptiles in the world),Mt. Moriah (resting place of Wild Bill and Calamity Jane), DC. Booth Historic Fish Hatchery in Spearfish, Jewel Cave (third longest cave in the world), Ellsworth AFB Air and Space Museum (free), Custer State Park, plus some of the most scenic roads in the country, Vanocker Canyon,Spearfish Canyon, Iron Mtn Road, Old Hill City Road, Nemo Road.

Bfromla
08-17-2015, 11:33 PM
:agree:Great spots but giving time restraints, g'luck. I suggest for beautiful nature spots that you can walk around alot natural bridge in Clinton (N central) AR & natural falls E OK. Been to both & are GREAT:thumbup: here is link to falls
http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.5293 bring a camera eitherway. If on road there is plenty to see & enjoy there too. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113848&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113849&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113850&stc=1 Loading pics is a :cus:trick:banghead: I have more in album fyi. Hope yall get to enjoy it all!:yes::yes:

Vt. Rider
08-18-2015, 05:53 AM
For scenery, it's hard to beat Yellowstone, Sequoia Nat'l. Forest, Lassen Volcanic Nat'l. Park and Crater Lake.
For riding, it's hard to beat the PCH from just north of San Fransisco all the way up to Oregon, and the Chief Joseph Highway going up towards Montana. I've done the Grand Canyon (north and south), Bryce Canyon and Zion. Did all around Utah, Arizona and Nevada (Death Valley)......all exceptionally beautiful.
The western part of South Dakota...Black Hills and Deadwood are super enjoyable, as is Wyoming. And let's not forget Colorado...take a ride up Pike's Peak and over to Durango, and all around Breckenridge....just gorgeous.

Almost anywhere you travel....there are great places to see. The only restraints are time and money. If you can get hold of both, even for a short while, go do it.

kngfsh27
08-18-2015, 06:21 AM
If you go to the Grand Canyon take in some of Route 66.

Bob Denman
08-18-2015, 06:55 AM
...Anyplace that you haven't yet crossed off of the maps... :thumbup:

ndspyderlover
08-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Like some advice. I can't take any extended trips this fall due my wife's lack of vacation time. Several times this past year, my wife was forced to use vacation for family reasons and she won't have enough to put together two week until the spring. We pretty much only take trips in the spring and fall due to temps anyway. I have work related traveled all over the world but have not seen all the US. I would like to see the Grand Canyon and perhaps Monument Park in the Navajo Nation or Branson and take in some shows. I am pretty familiar with the Arkansas area and have done Eureka Springs in the past but never Branson.

My wife mentioned the Dakotas and Montana. Never been there either. She also mentioned Pigeon Forge (yeah, I know DollyWorld!) I ain't going to any eastern states as we have toured all of them up to the Mississippi so more likely west or north. Looking for destination suggestions where there is good scenery, few critters (if possible) and some interesting things to see and do. I ain't much for cities / shopping but we do enjoy places like Nashville. Just want something new (about two weeks including travel time).... suggestion?try the Duluth area and the Boundry Waters Area. Absolutely gourgeous. Lots to due in Duluth Minnesota

redflasher
08-18-2015, 09:20 AM
South Dakota--Rapid City, Black Hills, Devils Tower Wyoming, and Badlands.

When I lived in MN, I went there at least once a year. Went back in 2014 and was not disappointed.

This will outshine Montana because of the great sites in a smaller area. Get one of those South Dakota trip planners and you will see what I am talking about. Not to far from Texas.

The western section of North Dakota is also pretty nice. Teddy Roosevelt National Park, Buffalo, mini Badlands.

We just returned from a week long trip to Rapid City, Mt Rushmore, Custer Natl Park, Sturgis, Deadwood, Badlands, etcetcetc. Ran out of time before we could see everything. Unfortunately, we were in the SUV rather than 3 wheels but still had a fantastic trip. Probably go back there next year.

wiredgeorge
08-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Just took a look at the weather in Rapid City SD... 56 degrees at 4:37 CST. Geesh, MID WINTER HAS HIT! We are having a cold spell here at home and it is 97F. I really need to ride somewhere where I don't need to figure out how to work those heated grips hehe

ARtraveler
08-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Just took a look at the weather in Rapid City SD... 56 degrees at 4:37 CST. Geesh, MID WINTER HAS HIT! We are having a cold spell here at home and it is 97F. I really need to ride somewhere where I don't need to figure out how to work those heated grips hehe

I was there in November once. It was 40 degrees in MN and 70 degrees in the Badlands. It is usually warm this time of year.

wiredgeorge
08-18-2015, 06:47 PM
:agree:Great spots but giving time restraints, g'luck. I suggest for beautiful nature spots that you can walk around alot natural bridge in Clinton (N central) AR & natural falls E OK. Been to both & are GREAT:thumbup: here is link to falls
http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.5293 bring a camera eitherway. If on road there is plenty to see & enjoy there too. Loading pics is a :cus:trick:banghead: I have more in album fyi. Hope yall get to enjoy it all!:yes::yes:

I am fairly familiar with Arkansas and E. Oklahoma. Have been all through the Ouchitas and Arkansas many times. Love the area and really never get tired of the great roads, friendly people and lack of gas stations when you need one!

samewok
08-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Branson is nice and is only hour from Pitbull.
there are several shows that are worth seeing.
The Six, Dixie stampede and several others.

oldgoat
08-18-2015, 07:29 PM
We're off to Monument Valley next week.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113904&stc=1