PDA

View Full Version : Dead STS: No Electronic Display & No Electrical Power

NH-rider
08-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Out for a ride on Friday and all is OK. Saturday AM, I tried to start my new 2014 STS (500 miles) and there was no response: No console display, no anything. Took off battery cover and hooked up my charger and there was not even a quiver on the charger's meter (unusual). Charged the batt overnight @10 amps = same results on Sunday AM—absolutely brain dead. I am thinking the culprits might be: A bad computer module, a bad battery, a bad ignition switch and/or a combination of all 3. Have called my dealer who has not seen it yet, but is also in the dark regarding the cause.

Have any Spyderlovers run into this or have any clues about a fix?

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Bad Battery would be my guess... but once you get one that's got some juice in it; double-check your connections, and fuses. :thumbup:

GearHd
08-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Did you just buy it? We bought a leftover ST Limited and the dealer had to replace the battery because it was stalling when the fan kicked on and doing some other strange things. Everything has been fine since.

finless
08-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Bad Battery would be my guess... but once you get one that's got some juice in it; double-check your connections, and fuses. :thumbup:

If it was a decent charger and as he said showed it wasn't charging anything (no quiver), I doubt it's the battery. But some cheap chargers just wont tell you that.

A volt meter will at least tell you if the battery has any kind of voltage output.

Bob

billybovine
08-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Put a voltmeter on the jumper terminals, because they are easier to get to, and check the voltage. 12.8 V or higher is a good place to start. Turn the key on. If the battery voltage is still 12.8 V or higher and the display is still blank. It's not the battery.

Check your fuses and press in all the relays. Still nothing, call your dealer, it's still under warranty I assume.

P.S. Depending on the type of charger you used a 10 amp setting may have cooked your battery.

wiredgeorge
08-17-2015, 06:37 PM
The multimeter is the right answer. Also, if you charge a motorcycle battery, 1/2 amp trickle charge for at least 8 hours. Not sure what you meant by @10A so I am stressing the correct way to charge the battery.

If you are not getting anything on your dash display or the starter solenoid doesn't click, bad battery is most likely but first check your main fuse. If it is blown, your battery and charging system may be OK but the fuse blew. If that is the case, tighten your battery cables... in fact that would be a good idea regardless.

bmccaffrey
08-17-2015, 06:50 PM
I agree with Bob.

Battery. New means nothing

pwm
08-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Check the main fuse panel. I had the same issue and the fuse panel was corroded.