PDA

View Full Version : Excessive heat

fireplug98
08-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Hey All !!

Just wondering, On my new 15 RTS, I am having excessive heat issues (coming out the lower vents on each side and venting big time between my seat & glove box area).
:-) I know there will be some heat (heck your sitting almost on top of the motor), but I'm getting WAY more heat than my 2011 RTS did and it seems, everyone on the forums is saying that there are no heats issues with the 2014-15's RT's.

Any ideas ?? I have cat delete and Two Brothers exhaust.

Also, can you remove the two bottom plates, towards the front, like you could on the 2010-13 RT's ??

Thanks,
Tommy J.

cuznjohn
08-17-2015, 01:16 PM
i have a 14 rt with the cat delete and i have no problems like you are talking about. find someone that has a digital temp reader and take readings for us and so you can know what others have

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 01:48 PM
:shocked: It's August, and you're on a motorcycle... Are your SURE that it's not just the Summer heat and sunshine?

Sorry; I HAD to ask!

fireplug98
08-17-2015, 06:27 PM
:shocked: It's August, and you're on a motorcycle... Are your SURE that it's not just the Summer heat and sunshine?

Sorry; I HAD to ask!

LOL HiYa Bob !!!

I wish it were just summer heat.
The area between my seat and glove box feels like there is a small fan underneath pushing the hot air up and out that area.
Both side vents feel like my 2011 RTS before I put the right side block off plates on.

I'm not getting it !! I know there will always be a little heat but was not expecting this much.
There has to be something causing this. Just can't figure out what. :dontknow:

RBS66
08-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Before my recall on my 2013. I Experienced a lot of heat coming out by the glove box on the left side. Now it is cool air coming from that spot.

fireplug98
08-17-2015, 06:40 PM
i have a 14 rt with the cat delete and i have no problems like you are talking about. find someone that has a digital temp reader and take readings for us and so you can know what others have

I will. Prob won't be able to till next week sometime

fireplug98
08-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Before my recall on my 2013. I Experienced a lot of heat coming out by the glove box on the left side. Now it is cool air coming from that spot.

I might have to spend the $$ and do that update to my 15. But I still can't figure out why there is all this heat. There shouldn't be this much !!

ARtraveler
08-17-2015, 06:47 PM
I might have to spend the $$ and do that update to my 15. But I still can't figure out why there is all this heat. There shouldn't be this much !!

You have me a bit baffled also. I do not recall many posting about excessive heat on either 14 or 15 RT's. Please keep us informed on what you discover. Obviously, something is amiss. :bbq::bbq:

xBobbyx
08-17-2015, 07:46 PM
I have a 2015 RT SE6. I've had it a few weeks and put 300 miles on it. I ride pretty hard cause I'm use to shifting on my Harley and CBR. I have NO heat at all. That was one of my concerns because my 09 would fry an egg on my legs. I have not felt any heat and its triple digits here in Texas. I hate to say it but I wear shorts when I ride most of the time and still do feel anything but the harsh sun. I hope you get it figured out. I wonder if you have an exhaust leak or something. Hope it's nothing bad. Good luck.

fireplug98
08-17-2015, 10:11 PM
I have a 2015 RT SE6. I've had it a few weeks and put 300 miles on it. I ride pretty hard cause I'm use to shifting on my Harley and CBR. I have NO heat at all. That was one of my concerns because my 09 would fry an egg on my legs. I have not felt any heat and its triple digits here in Texas. I hate to say it but I wear shorts when I ride most of the time and still do feel anything but the harsh sun. I hope you get it figured out. I wonder if you have an exhaust leak or something. Hope it's nothing bad. Good luck.

Thats at the top of my list !!!

Bob Denman
08-18-2015, 07:04 AM
Tommy,
Has the bike always been like this, or is it a new "thing"?
The exhaust headers run underneath the engine; could you have caught something up under there, that is re-directing some of the airflow? :dontknow:

fireplug98
08-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Has been this way since day one.
Checked the exhaust, no issues.
Doesn't seem to be running lean.
I have the cat delete. I'm going to wrap the pipe and see if that helps.

Tommy J.

Orange Spyder Man
08-28-2015, 07:35 AM
is it possible you could use some foam weather stripping inside the glove box/seat area to stop any heat rising thru there ?

osm

trekguy
08-28-2015, 07:45 AM
On my 2015 RT, I keep my phone in the small compartment directly in front of the seat, and that compartment, and its contents (phone, energy bar, wallet) do get hot. I hope nothing is wrong, but I don't feel excessive heat pouring out of any vents.

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 07:52 AM
That has never been the best place to store anything that is sensitive to heat...
Give it the "Chocolate Bar" test:
throw a Hershey Bar into a plastic bag, and give it a ride in there...
If it melts... :shocked:
Put your cellphone someplace else.
If it doesn't... :D
:congrats: You've earned a snack! :yes:

Highwayman2013
08-28-2015, 08:20 AM
You could always put the scoops from the 2013 recall on your 2015.

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Good point... :clap: :agree:
Question: is this a case of these bikes not liking to be in stop & go traffic, and traffic jams? :dontknow:
I guess that I've been luck; we don't seem to ever get caught in traffic like that up here... :thumbup:

fireplug98
08-28-2015, 08:39 AM
You could always put the scoops from the 2013 recall on your 2015.

:-) I forgot to say, I just did the scoops and removed the two bottom panels under the bike.

100% took care of the heat between the seat & glove box. :-) plus they look great on the bike !!
Other than wrapping my exhaust pipe, I'm thinking of putting block off plates (SpyderPops) on the lower vents.
Hoping that the scoops would push the hot air down and out the bottom of bike. My concern is, with the block off plates installed, would it be too warm inside
the engine housing for the computer.

Tommy J.

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Hey Tommy...
Glad to hear that you're a cool dude, with a cool ride! :clap:
And I'm sorry that I EVER doubted you! nojoke

fireplug98
08-28-2015, 09:21 AM
HiYa Bob !!!
All I can do is smile and say, Thank You sir !!!!:cheers:

Tommy J.

Upper heat issue is done. Just need to figure out lower heat issue !! :-)

Cruzr Joe
08-28-2015, 11:12 AM
You have me a bit baffled also. I do not recall many posting about excessive heat on either 14 or 15 RT's. Please keep us informed on what you discover. Obviously, something is amiss. :bbq::bbq:

:agree::agree::agree:, something is not working properly.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Upper heat issue is done. Just need to figure out lower heat issue !! :-)

:shocked: Don't get rid of that! You'll need that on your lower extremities, when you go riding in February... :yikes:

fireplug98
08-28-2015, 10:04 PM
:shocked: Don't get rid of that! You'll need that on your lower extremities, when you go riding in February... :yikes:

Nothing like GOOD snowmobile gear !!!! :ohyea:

JayBros
08-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Excuse me, but I find something amiss. We have 23 posts including Tommy's initial question on a 2015 RTS. Where is the dealer's response to the question that is obviously, IMO, a warranty issue. I personally wouldn't spend a :cus: dime on this problem other than the gas to leave it at the dealer and tell him I'll return the loaner when he has my Spyder fixed.