PDA

View Full Version : RT vent kit on 2014 RT

Doc - Riverside
08-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Weekend project complete. Looks sharp and reduces the heat during the hot days of southern summer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113792&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113793&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113794&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113795&stc=1

Roadster Renovations
08-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Looks nice! Good job!

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 07:34 AM
:congrats: They DO look pretty nice! :clap: :thumbup:

larryd
08-17-2015, 07:50 AM
They look GREAT!!!

acinpcola
08-17-2015, 10:03 AM
They look great. So are they from BRP or aftermarket?

Highwayman2013
08-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Waiting for my scoops to come in at the dealer. Yours look great.

PMK
08-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Guessing this was more plug and play since the bodywork on the 14 / 15 already has a grille in the scoop location. Possibly no cutting was even needed???

The scoops look nice and no doubt cool the cowled areas.

The question I have, is with the scoops blocking the airflow around the bodywork, it seems the riders would have less airflow. This assumes you had the adjustable BRP deflectors. If you ran the stock wind deflectors it is probably the same.

With the adjustable deflectors, it can force air into the upper oem grille, and also aim the airflow towards the riders.

Curious what you found is the best setup.

PK

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Hi Al,
Those are from BRP. They developed them as a solution to the 2013 RT's overheating problems.

Brogers57
08-17-2015, 11:06 AM
What kind of advantages are you seeing with this?

finless
08-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Guessing this was more plug and play since the bodywork on the 14 / 15 already has a grille in the scoop location. Possibly no cutting was even needed???

PK

Same grill vents as on all RT's and yes you have to do the same cutting to the panel.

Bob

PMK
08-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Same grill vents as on all RT's and yes you have to do the same cutting to the panel.

Bob

Good info.

PK

cuznjohn
08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
may i ask how much were they and how did you cut the tupperware, did the temp-let come with them and how do they mount. i like the way they look

fireplug98
08-17-2015, 12:56 PM
LOOKS GREAT !!

Where does the air coming in through the vents, vent to ?? Out the lower vents on the sides ??

Just wondering cause on my new 15 RTS, I am having excessive heat issues (coming out the lower vents on each side and venting big time between my seat & glove box area).
:-) I know there will be some heat (heck your sitting almost on top of the motor), but I'm getting WAY more heat than my 2011 RTS did.
Think I'm gonna post this as a question in the forums. I'm rambling here !! Sorry !!

Tommy J.

ARtraveler
08-17-2015, 01:23 PM
The new vents look great. :yes:

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 01:57 PM
;) Gee... Do you think that they'd ever offer them in the popular body colors? :dontknow:
...Maybe just leave the front end of them Black... :thumbup:

finless
08-17-2015, 05:25 PM
;) Gee... Do you think that they'd ever offer them in the popular body colors? :dontknow:

Maybe just not cognac ;)

Bob

Bensonoid
08-17-2015, 06:08 PM
LOOKS GREAT !!

Where does the air coming in through the vents, vent to ?? Out the lower vents on the sides ??

Just wondering cause on my new 15 RTS, I am having excessive heat issues (coming out the lower vents on each side and venting big time between my seat & glove box area).
:-) I know there will be some heat (heck your sitting almost on top of the motor), but I'm getting WAY more heat than my 2011 RTS did.
Think I'm gonna post this as a question in the forums. I'm rambling here !! Sorry !!

Tommy J.

I don't know for sure where it exits, but on my 2013 where the heat would build and come out around the seat and glovebox area, it now seems to pull air in from there. It seems like the airflow is so good that there is a little vacuum action going on and outside air is being pulled in where heat used to escape. I'm thinkin' it's going down and out the back. I'd love to see the wind tunnel test that I'm sure was done.

acinpcola
08-17-2015, 10:21 PM
Hi Al,
Those are from BRP. They developed them as a solution to the 2013 RT's overheating problems.

Thanks Bob, I will keep an eye on this string would like to know the info others are seeking about the cutting and such.

Al

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-18-2015, 12:31 AM
The question I have, is with the scoops blocking the airflow around the bodywork, it seems the riders would have less airflow. This assumes you had the adjustable BRP deflectors. If you ran the stock wind deflectors it is probably the same.

With the adjustable deflectors, it can force air into the upper oem grille, and also aim the airflow towards the riders.

You're right, the combination of adding the scoops and taking away the deflectors, including the Baker Built Inner Panels, cut the air flow way back for me. Here is what I did to resolve the situation.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?84563-Baker-Air-Wing-mod-for-new-air-scoops

eddieshep999
08-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Weekend project complete. Looks sharp and reduces the heat during the hot days of southern summer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113792&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113793&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113794&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113795&stc=1

Doc
Have you removed the acoustic Panels orjust left them on?

Bob Denman
08-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Maybe just not cognac ;)

Bob

:gaah: Who do I have to sue over this? :roflblack:

Doc - Riverside
08-18-2015, 09:04 AM
You can order any color as long as it is BLACK. If you want matching colors you will have to get them painted yourself.

They are the BRP Scoops. Part number 219800388. As mentioned in other threads they are $67.00 plus tax. The vents are a great accessory at an unbelievable price from BRP.

The upper body panel design has remained unchanged. Same design 2010 thru 2015.

The scoops look nice and no doubt cool the cowled areas.

I had the adjustable air deflectors and I am not impressed with there operation. Yes they allow air to flow back to the rider lower body but because of the venturi effect it draws hot air up thru the vent located there. To prove this just put you hand in the area of the vent and you will feel the hot air coming out thru the vent directed back to the rider. Here in South Georgia in 95 plus temps and a heat index of over 110 all you need is more heat from the engine compartment.

My thoughts are I want to cram as much air under the tupperware as possible to move the hot air out. I have the vented windshield to put air on the upper body. Don't need it for the lower body because of the new design of radiators on the 2014-2015 RT.

PK

What kind of advantages are you seeing with this?

Cooler glove box and seat area

may i ask how much were they and how did you cut the tupperware, did the temp-let come with them and how do they mount. i like the way they look

Price above. You don't need the template. Send me a PM with your E-mail address and I'll send you a PDF file on how I did the install.

LOOKS GREAT !!

Out thru the sides and bottom.

Tommy J.

As explained above. Plus one of the very first mods I did was the CAT Bypass.

If anyone wants the instructions on how I installed them without the template send me a PM with your E-Mail address.

Brogers57
08-18-2015, 11:16 AM
PM sent

fireplug98
08-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks Dave for the instructions !!! Nice job on them by the way !! :-)

Tommy J.

NM Wrench
08-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Doc,
Just received the instructions. Thanks again. Will let you know if I have any questions when I get around to doing this!

DriftersWay
08-19-2015, 04:41 AM
Thanks Doc. Got my instructions

junior
08-19-2015, 05:45 AM
PM sent.

SPYDER Mike
08-19-2015, 11:28 AM
PM sent

SpyderChief
08-19-2015, 04:28 PM
You can order any color as long as it is BLACK. If you want matching colors you will have to get them painted yourself.

They are the BRP Scoops. Part number 219800388. As mentioned in other threads they are $67.00 plus tax. The vents are a great accessory at an unbelievable price from BRP.

Price above. You don't need the template. Send me a PM with your E-mail address and I'll send you a PDF file on how I did the install.

If anyone wants the instructions on how I installed them without the template send me a PM with your E-Mail address.

I just ordered my vents and can't wait to get them installed. I would appreciate a set of the installation instructions sent to snoopy44@cox.net. Thanks :thumbup:

jaimekinkle
08-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Does the 2012 RT need them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc - Riverside
08-19-2015, 09:46 PM

My opinion is the Air Vent Kit is the best Mod that can done on any RT (2010-2015). Yes you should do it and it is only$67+tax but you should get BRP to install them for free.

finless
08-19-2015, 11:04 PM
My opinion is the Air Vent Kit is the best Mod that can done on any RT (2010-2015). Yes you should do it and it is only$67+tax but you should get BRP to install them for free.

+100!

Bob

Illinois Boy
08-20-2015, 06:32 AM
BRP agreed to provide them and have them installed for free for me after a call to my dealer about excessive heat.

ZERO charge to me. They were installed yesterday and work beautifully... I had them installed on my '11 RTS.

No one with a pre-2014 RT should be paying for these or their installation.

Push the heat issue with your dealer to get these for free from BRP. The dealer is getting them for free and is being paid to install them; so you should not have to pay.

Commander
08-20-2015, 06:41 AM

"if you pull up the 13 recall it comes with the temp-let"

jcthorne
08-20-2015, 06:43 AM
BRP agreed to provide them and have them installed for free for me after a call to my dealer about excessive heat.

ZERO charge to me. They were installed yesterday and work beautifully... I had them installed on my '11 RTS.

No one with a pre-2014 RT should be paying for these or their installation.

Push the heat issue with your dealer to get these for free from BRP. The dealer is getting them for free and is being paid to install them; so you should not have to pay.

Not sure why this is true. All the 10 thru 12 owners told us 13 owners repeatedly for years they did not have heat issues. Told the NHTSA the same thing and were dropped from the investigation for that reason.

Its interesting to see 2014 and newer bike owners wanting the cool ride the 2013 bikes provide.....

Doc - Riverside
08-20-2015, 07:53 AM
"if you pull up the 13 recall it comes with the temp-let"

The dealer receives a set of the templates so they can do multiple installations for the 2013 RT's. The templates are a time management thing for the dealers to quickly do the 2013 Recall. If you buy just the Vent kit you can use the vent as a template to make the cutout.

Highwayman2013
08-20-2015, 09:50 AM

That's how I'm getting mine done.

2RTsGV
08-20-2015, 11:05 AM

Yes ... also if you still have warranty (ie: Best extended) BRP are covering the costs. My wife had the scoops installed on her 2012 2 weeks ago and BRP picked up the tab!

Doc - Riverside
08-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Not sure why this is true. All the 10 thru 12 owners told us 13 owners repeatedly for years they did not have heat issues. Told the NHTSA the same thing and were dropped from the investigation for that reason.

As has been reported here in another thread there is a TST # 112333 that addresses the installation of the vent kit on the 2010-2012 model RT's. It is available to those owners thru BRP as stated.

Its interesting to see 2014 and newer bike owners wanting the cool ride the 2013 bikes provide.....

Yes I have a 2014 RT and installed the Vent Kit. Why did I do it? There is still heat from the engine compartment though not like the 998 engines configuration because of the way the 1330 engine exhaust has been moved to the from of the engine and the radiators have been moved way forward of the engine. The fact remains there is a engine that is enclosed in plastic and the top of the engine is covered in a ton of plastic called a air box that prevents good air circulation at the top of the engine. The bottom line is there is heat in the seat and glove box area as has been reported by other members of the 2014-2015 model. The temps here in Southeast Georgia have been in the high 90's for the past month and a half. Adding the vents has helped. The next best thing to get rid if the heat is to get rid of all the plastic on the top of the engine (air box and resonator/filter assembly). Benefit of this would allow access to the top of the engine without having to spend the time removing the air box and resonator just to get to the spark plugs.

DR Buck
08-20-2015, 04:31 PM
So my dealer tells me my 2012 RT Ltd is not covered by the recall. That's fine, because for the results others have reported I am willing to fork over the nominal cost. Besides I really don't want to leave the bike in the shop for "who knows how many days" while they do something I can do myself in a few hours.

The questions I have are:

1 - Is the $67 for a pair (both sides) or just one?

2 - Do I order through BRP online or the dealers parts desk?

3 - Just reference the 219800388 part number?

Doc - Riverside
08-20-2015, 04:40 PM
So my dealer tells me my 2012 RT Ltd is not covered by the recall. That's fine, because for the results others have reported I am willing to fork over the nominal cost. Besides I really don't want to leave the bike in the shop for "who knows how many days" while they do something I can do myself in a few hours.

The questions I have are:

1 - Is the $67 for a pair (both sides) or just one? Both

2 - Do I order through BRP online or the dealers parts desk? Dealer parts desk.

3 - Just reference the 219800388 part number? Correct

As it was mentioned on another thread the 2010 - 2012 RT's are covered under TST # 112333 but then again some dealers are saying it isn't covered because if they do the mod BRP only pays them a fixed fee.

captblack
08-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Looks good, Doc. We need to take a ride.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Maybe just not cognac ;)

Bob

As stated above and leaving the grill face black would be a nice touch ...............Mike :thumbup:

Sarge707
08-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Yes I have a 2014 RT and installed the Vent Kit. Why did I do it? There is still heat from the engine compartment though not like the 998 engines configuration because of the way the 1330 engine exhaust has been moved to the from of the engine and the radiators have been moved way forward of the engine. The fact remains there is a engine that is enclosed in plastic and the top of the engine is covered in a ton of plastic called a air box that prevents good air circulation at the top of the engine. The bottom line is there is heat in the seat and glove box area as has been reported by other members of the 2014-2015 model. The temps here in Southeast Georgia have been in the high 90's for the past month and a half. Adding the vents has helped. The next best thing to get rid if the heat is to get rid of all the plastic on the top of the engine (air box and resonator/filter assembly). Benefit of this would allow access to the top of the engine without having to spend the time removing the air box and resonator just to get to the spark plugs.

Do You Realize MORE People will read your Post IF you post in regular Black Print like everyone else?
When You post in RED it is as If your a Child "Screaming?" at someone!!
Think About It?nojokenojokenojokenojokenojoke

trikermutha
08-23-2015, 10:07 PM
I have no problem with heat in the 1330 I feel some warm air around the glove box/ seat area but no way do I need to add more vents/scopes or air conditioning in or around my Tupperware..:gaah:

The 1330 is one fine bike..Now if you want to feel heat go jump on a HARLEY on a hot day.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Do You Realize MORE People will read your Post IF you post in regular Black Print like everyone else?

HEY SARGE ...GET A LIFE ........Mike.......And if you really think this is of major concern , I suggest you contact the administrator and have Him eliminate ALL the colors except BLACK.............:clap:

Bob Denman
08-24-2015, 07:09 AM
:dontknow: What is more important? :shocked:
The message?
or
How it is delivered? :dontknow:

Doc - Riverside
08-24-2015, 08:42 AM

If you you used a little logic and figured out the the reason I change the color it was to make my reply to various questions or thoughts from other members that I replied to using the Quote function. It differentiates there quote from my reply. I will change to Blue so as to up set you.

Highwayman2013
08-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Correct

As it was mentioned on another thread the 2010 - 2012 RT's are covered under TST # 112333 but then again some dealers are saying it isn't covered because if they do the mod BRP only pays them a fixed fee.

Here's another source:http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/parts?aribrand=BRP#/s/BRP//219800388/1

PMK
08-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Doc, I don't oppose your vent installation. However the plastic on the top of the 1330 is not the airbox. The plastic atop the engine is the intake manifold. The concept of replacing it similar to the V twin may not have the same merits.

The two airboxes sit left and right of center and have little effect on blocking airflow.

The 1330 throttle body is forward facing. The still airbox is forward forward of that. The duct that couple the 1 airbox to the still airbox its over the steering unit. Airbox #1 is on the left side.

The airboxes could be removed, not sure you would gain much. The intake manifold would be more difficult, but someone with enough skills, time and money could design a new one. Lot of work though.

PK

Doc - Riverside
08-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Doc, I don't oppose your vent installation. However the plastic on the top of the 1330 is not the airbox. The plastic atop the engine is the intake manifold. The concept of replacing it similar to the V twin may not have the same merits.

The two airboxes sit left and right of center and have little effect on blocking airflow.

The 1330 throttle body is forward facing. The still airbox is forward forward of that. The duct that couple the 1 airbox to the still airbox its over the steering unit. Airbox #1 is on the left side.

The airboxes could be removed, not sure you would gain much. The intake manifold would be more difficult, but someone with enough skills, time and money could design a new one. Lot of work though.

PK

You didn't comprehend what I wrote. The 1330 suffers the same problem that the 998's have in that you can't get to the spark plugs easily. The 1330 is worse. As you so illustrated in the second picture showing the 2 airboxes that cover the top of the 1330 engine thus making it impossible to get to the spake plugs. Read the shop manual for changing the plugs. So removing the airboxes has merit if one wants to easily work on the top of the engine are with out removing a bunch of interference just to do the job.Why would one want to remove the air intake and throttle body. The design as it stands makes it easy to come up with a new air filter design like the one for the 998 engines.

PMK
08-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Doc, you are correct, every 28,000 miles I need to remove one airbox to replace spark plugs.

Sorry I did not comprehend everything you posted about removing heat or how involved replacing spark plugs might be.

But now the real question about keeping the rider cooler. If you install the scoops, there is no means to run the BRP air deflectors. How does the rider aim airflow onto themselves with the scoop in the way and blocking the flow to the rider?

All the best.

PK

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-24-2015, 02:55 PM
But now the real question about keeping the rider cooler. If you install the scoops, there is no means to run the BRP air deflectors. How does the rider aim airflow onto themselves with the scoop in the way and blocking the flow to the rider?
This is my solution.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?84563-Baker-Air-Wing-mod-for-new-air-scoops&p=1026648#post1026648

Doc - Riverside
08-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Doc, you are correct, every 28,000 miles I need to remove one airbox to replace spark plugs.

Sorry I did not comprehend everything you posted about removing heat or how involved replacing spark plugs might be.

All the best.

PK

I had the BRP air deflectors and was not impressed with there performance riding in the high 90 degree weather here for the last month and a half. I have the windshield that has the vent in it that in the summer I open except if it is raining. It provides air where it is needed (upper body). If you feel the air stream of the open air deflectors it is pulling hot air out of the engine compartment and directing it back to the rider.

Sarge707
08-24-2015, 08:32 PM
HEY SARGE ...GET A LIFE ........Mike.......And if you really think this is of major concern , I suggest you contact the administrator and have Him eliminate ALL the colors except BLACK.............:clap:
OR you could simply Post in Black letters like everyone else? What you say is Important and you Do Not need to Post in Red? :dontknow:

pitzerwm
08-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Called the dealer today to get the scoops. Lucky I had the part # and the price. He started out at $150 each until I insisted that everyone was getting them for $67, finally he agreed and after I went over there and paid for them, ordered them. Not allowed to take a CC# over the phone, WTF.

Thanks Doc for providing the correct info.

pitzerwm
08-31-2015, 01:10 AM
Thanks Doc, I installed the scoops today, your help with the blind holes is appreciated. Somewhere it said that when you installed the main scoop you should take the grill off and then install it again. I did that on the first one, but it isn't necessary, so didn't on the 2nd one. Someone else had an issue reinstalling the air wings and had to re-engineer them. I have the Baker ones and I could re-install the top ones, but their movement is limited but still useful.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114979&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114980&stc=1

TexasTom
09-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Just registered on this site and sent you a pm for the template. Please let me know if my pm made it through to you. Thanks!

Highwayman2013
09-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Got the scoops put on my 2012 by the dealer for zero cost on Saturday. They seemed good on the way home. I will give them a better test on Tuesday.[someATTACH]115440[/ATTACH]115441115442115443

RTL1330
10-21-2015, 10:40 PM
I ordered scoops and dealer will install next week when in for my 20k service. Wow only 8 months and 20k on my 2014 RTL.
Anyway thanks for info but dealer cut me some slack and tech has put on several on 2013 retro so I'll let him do it.
FYI, Canadian dealer here was $74.00 for kit and max $150.00 to install.
CMS in Courtenay installed them. Craig did good job!http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119008&stc=1

Wilson Mc Guire
02-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Finally found your post again. could you please send me the info on your install of the scoops.:bowdown:

AH-NO-1
03-08-2016, 10:55 PM

I received the material that you sent. The picture of the heat recall looks the same on my spyder. No vents were installed so when I go back to thew dealer I am going to see if he would supply the scoops and I will install them. Thanks for all the material that you sent. Dave in MI.

lou49
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM
:agree::agree::agree:! I have them on my bike, and as soon as I have a chance I'm going to have them painted or cover with carbon fiber!

Yol Bolsun
05-25-2016, 09:10 AM
My thanks to y'all and specially Doc-Riverside! BRP will be Good-Will comping me the air vents on my 2011 RT.:thumbup:

Richard Budden
05-28-2016, 08:38 AM
I have the exact same 2014 and I would like to get those on mine. Where did you get them?

Richard

M109Dreamer
05-29-2016, 02:09 PM
I have the exact same 2014 and I would like to get those on mine. Where did you get them?

Richard
Just call around to dealers near you with the part number posted above. I got mine from a local dealer that had them in stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sam Mac
05-29-2016, 04:15 PM
This looks like a worth while mod, anytime you can reduce temps in the engine compartment is a good thing. Just my 2 cents.

pitzerwm
05-29-2016, 06:14 PM
It is smart and don't let the dealer try to charge more than the $67 List price.

jthornton
05-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Looking good Doc.

JT

JP58
07-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Doc can you send me instructions for 15 RT-S or post them.

viperryder
07-13-2016, 11:41 AM
I recieved instructions from Dave and put these on my 2014 RTS and they preform great. My glove box is no longer hot, have cool air moving over it, and the Spyder is much lighter, as you remove two panels under the Tupperware. I cut my plastic with a dremel type tool. Good luck to all who try.

Bob Denman
07-13-2016, 02:00 PM
:congrats:
But I have a question: what sort of riding conditions do you normally encounter?
City traffic (Stop & Go)
Suburban
Rural
Interstate riding

I ride rural two-lanes about 90% of the time, with virtually no traffic around me. nojoke
My bike never heats up, and I just wonder if it's the "sitting in traffic"; that makes folks feel the heat.

Thanks! :thumbup:

shooter
07-13-2016, 03:28 PM
The scoops look great and anything to remove the heat around the glove box area is a must. Now i'll do the same.

Thanks Doc for posting!

Devious56
07-13-2016, 06:35 PM
:congrats:
But I have a question: what sort of riding conditions do you normally encounter?
City traffic (Stop & Go)
Suburban
Rural
Interstate riding

I ride rural two-lanes about 90% of the time, with virtually no traffic around me. nojoke
My bike never heats up, and I just wonder if it's the "sitting in traffic"; that makes folks feel the heat.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hey Bob, It is much more noticeable when getting stuck in traffic, but at this time of year down here in Florida, the temps have been around 100 or more, so it doesn't make much differernce where whether you are in town, or out on the road, if you are in the sun, it's HOT. The vent kit really makes a difference in the rider seating area, and glove box.

David

noboot
07-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Through our (Australian) summer I had no heat problems with the 1330 motor heating up any body panels.

So to give a little extra cooling I did the following as I don't find the need for additional scoops.

obiwan57
07-18-2016, 09:02 PM

I have a 2013 RT Limited, BRP installed those scoops and other panels as part of the factory recall, the retrofit made a BIG difference in how cool the Spyder now runs and fuel vapor odors were also reduced; BRP a new evap cannister was part of the retrofit. I'm definitely happier with my Spyder now!

The Bee!!
08-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Hello,
Am trying to get this Heat vent from my dealer. BRP is stating that these are already on the 2014's. NOT on mine. I have a 2014- RT-S. What should part should i tell the dealer that i need???

pitzerwm
08-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Hello,
Am trying to get this Heat vent from my dealer. BRP is stating that these are already on the 2014's. NOT on mine. I have a 2014- RT-S. What should part should i tell the dealer that i need???

Your dealer is a moron, IMO never take your bike in there. I don't remember the part #, but don't let anyone charge you more than $67, that is BRP's MSRP. You get the 2 vents, some insulating pieces and 2 bars to replace the acoustical panels and you NEED to do that too.

The Bee!!
08-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Do you have a dealer around you or the Spokane area. The Kalispell dealer (Jesco) is no longer going to service the Spyder after 2 years. They have discontinued selling them as they weren't selling enough of them. Now i need to find a new dealer... Live in NW Montana.

Your dealer is a moron, IMO never take your bike in there. I don't remember the part #, but don't let anyone charge you more than $67, that is BRP's MSRP. You get the 2 vents, some insulating pieces and 2 bars to replace the acoustical panels and you NEED to do that too.

pitzerwm
08-02-2016, 03:55 PM
There is Ride Now, here but I don't take my bike there. If is something big, I'll trailer it to Vancouver. There is a dealer in Coeur d'Alene that is suppose to be decent.

M109Dreamer
08-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Hello,
The BRP Part number is....
219800388 they run around $67 for the kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The Bee!!
08-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Thank you, Teri

There is Ride Now, here but I don't take my bike there. If is something big, I'll trailer it to Vancouver. There is a dealer in Coeur d'Alene that is suppose to be decent.

SteveLaoyster
09-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Sounds like I might be putting this on my 2016 RTS. First ryde out I noticed that the glove box got very warm along with my butt & crotch. Hope this helps. Would putting on the cat bypass on help too?? Thanks.

jaherbst
09-10-2016, 09:40 PM
-= Hidden Content =-

My My, look at all the "gullibles". We've been had! That was a great "gotcha". :joke:

​Jack

jaherbst
09-10-2016, 10:15 PM
My own self prefers the adjustable vents to direct air "all over my body". The add on vents take away this

advantage. (2014 RTL)

One mis conception here is the original vent was never meant to have air blow in but to have excess heat rise up through the vent with the wings directing airflow past and not into the engine compartment thus helping hot air to escape. (2013) I was a test dummy for all the experimental things that was developed for the heat problem on the 2013 and volunteered as a few others did for the factory to try to work this problem out. One of the dumbest things they did was to drill 50 3/8 inch holes under the seat toward the back of the seat only to allow more hot air to rise.

As some here are not aware, the 2013 was supposed to have the 1330 engine. The frame and suspension in the 2013 was new and developed for the 1330 engine but at crunch time the engine was not ready and they put the old 990 engine in the new frame with some after thought welded engine mounts. This placed the 990 much higher and coupled with the left cross over exhaust pipe that came within 1 1/2 inches of the gas tank caused excess heat to the rider/riders and the boiling gas in the tank. This created extreme gas vapors resulting in a high risk of fire and explosion.

I am happy with my 2014 as is here in Tucson where the heat on occasion hits 120*. My solution for this and all my other bikes is not to ride or ride at daybreak and back to the garage or Hanger by 9-10 o'clock.

It is my understanding that the new scoops on the 2013 RT's are working well. Some interior baffling is removed when mounting the scoops so the air goes directly into the engine and fuel tank area.

Jack

Bob Denman
09-11-2016, 11:13 AM
:shocked: Jack, What the heck did you do??? :dontknow:

borrec
02-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Thanks to all that provided information on this. Called dealer yesterday and gave them information about TST112333 and Part # 219800388. Asked for goodwill install on my wife's 2012 RT-S. By the end of the day they had approval and will install Friday! :ohyea:

oldguyinTX
02-01-2017, 02:40 PM
I painted mine myself. It took some time, what with removing Tupperware in order to get the scoops off, then paint, reinstall the scoops, then the Tupperware. But I am pleased with the result.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-01-2017, 03:09 PM
-= Hidden Content =-

-= Hidden Content =-
What's with the need to click thanks to see the content of these posts? There's nothing that secret in them. Next time I'll just read them on my tablet. Don't need to click thanks there!

Peter Aawen
02-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Someone's gone & done it again!! :mad:

There's now a string of 6 posts above this (at time of posting) that no-one can see UNLESS they click both Thanks & Like!

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who just won't bother to do that, so if you actually want your posts to be read, you might want to go back & edit them in the advanced edits to un-check those boxes in Additional Options under Miscellaneous!!

It seems that once someone does it, either on purpose or inadvertently, then every post thereafter defaults to include those options until someone turns it off again!! With any luck, this post will have turned it off for all the following posts, but all the posts above this & after SteveLaoysters post will remain hidden to most until their original poster edits them..... :rolleyes:

oldguyinTX
02-01-2017, 08:17 PM
You can either like me or hate me, I really don't care much which you choose. But to have to "like" a post in order to read it? Come on, If you have something to say, then say it. By that very definition of "like", I don't "like" you. If you don't have the courage to post openly, then stay off of this forum. I'm sure that there are other forums that you can be "liked" on. JMHO.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-02-2017, 12:12 AM
You can either like me or hate me, I really don't care much which you choose. But to have to "like" a post in order to read it? Come on, If you have something to say, then say it. By that very definition of "like", I don't "like" you. If you don't have the courage to post openly, then stay off of this forum. I'm sure that there are other forums that you can be "liked" on. JMHO.
Your comment is mystifying. Your post above is one of them that requires a thanks to read it! :banghead:

davev1pa
03-24-2020, 08:46 PM
Hi Doc, I was hoping to get pdf instructions on the RT venting information. I sent a friend request as I haven't been able to PM you with my email and a request for your write up on the RT vent information. My email is dvuch1@msn.com Thanks Dave

Revalden
03-25-2020, 09:26 PM
"click: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=219800388&i=gift-cards&ref=nb_sb_noss This is where I got mine.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-26-2020, 12:06 AM
Hi Doc, I was hoping to get pdf instructions on the RT venting information. I sent a friend request as I haven't been able to PM you with my email and a request for your write up on the RT vent information. My email is dvuch1@msn.com Thanks Dave
I have a copy. Sent you an email.

P.W.
04-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Will these work on a 2019 RTL?? Just want to make sure before I order a set.

Thanks for your time and help!!
P.W.

sduskin
05-15-2020, 06:25 PM
From Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder-Vent-Kit-219800388/dp/B079S6B78J

All install files available here:
https://drag0n.mine.nu/index.php/s/snLSMtN3dkdXHzT

ghostrdr
06-13-2020, 05:37 PM
Hi all, new member here. Just bought a 2012 RT-S. Went to the local dealer and checked on the vent kit and it is available, price as listed above - $67 and change. Would appreciate if someone could email me a copy of the instructions. TIA. Splat1520@juno.com

Eckhard
06-13-2020, 08:23 PM
Done!

ghostrdr
06-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Eckhard
Did not recieve

Eckhard
06-14-2020, 08:33 PM
There is a space in your email address???? I removed it and resent it. I hope it works this time. Let me know pls.

Eckhard
06-14-2020, 09:53 PM
Your email service has a file size limit of 20 meg it seems. I managed to compress the file, please check your mail box. sent to the no space email address. Pls let me know if it is OK.

ghostrdr
06-15-2020, 07:48 AM
Got it......Thanks so much

Bangorbob
10-25-2020, 10:57 AM
Went riding yesterday to death valley. Temp not bad, but glovebox really hot. Had to take my phone out. Anyway, I am going to get the vent kit and would like install PDF.
On a side note. I also want to remove the bottom splash panels to aid in air movement. Can't find any good instructions on that.

Thanks, Bob

Eckhard
10-25-2020, 03:58 PM
Pm me your email and Ill send them out to you.

spyder01
10-25-2020, 07:57 PM
I put the kit on my 17 rtl 2 months ago. I found the instructions to be only useful as a guide and the template no use at all. I didn’t cut openings at all bc there is a huge amount of air flowing through even if you don’t cut the holes bigger.Glove box cool and crotch cool and temp gauge slightly lower than before.