PDA

View Full Version : looks like will be riding in rain any pointers

kbwitt
08-17-2015, 07:01 AM
Does not look like i can drive around it. How well are the rt on wet roads. I have a brand new factory tire on back.
Any pointers besides be careful appreciated.

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 07:23 AM
:shocked: SLOW DOWN... nojoke

That's the short story. :D
:lecturef_smilie: But it's also the most important one.
Beyond that; it comes down to maximizing your ability to see, and minimize the discomfort of a wet bottom!
I like to look over the windshield when I'm in the slop; less rain to have to look through. :thumbup:
Tip your head to the side, and the wind currents will usually blow your visor clear in a snap.
Treat your visor with anti-fog juice... it's not fun looking out through your personal fogbank.

blacklightning
08-17-2015, 07:43 AM
I got caught in rain Saturday on our ride back from Boone. A hood on your rain jacket is a must to keep it from running off your helmet and down your back. It wasn't too bad once I was geared up. Found a small leak on my glove protectors that allowed a trickle to run up my arm. I faired way better than my buddy following me on his M109.

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Does not look like i can drive around it. How well are the rt on wet roads. I have a brand new factory tire on back.

I rode through 100 miles of rain on my way home from Dallas, and the Spyder handled it quite well. There's not as much you need to do in the rain on a three wheeler as there is on two wheels. Mainly just take the same precations as you would with a car as far as keeping your distance, taking it easy on curves, etc.

Hopefully,you have a taller windshield than I do. I have the shorty that came with the Special Series, and I got beat in the face with rain drops. A decent rainsuit helps too.

Good riding!

Pam

Pennyrick
08-17-2015, 09:59 AM
We've been riding in rain for the past 45 years but for the past six we've been on Spyders and that is a whole lot easier and more comfortable.

I've found that if the rain is hard and driving that moving the windshield fully up on the RT offers more protection although you then have to look through it but the since we use half helmets we have no visor to look through or fog up and vision is not usually a problem. (My prescription glasses are transitions with safety lenses).

Lower your cruising speed by about ten MPH and do not use cruise control in the rain. If you do lose traction the cruise control will continue to drive the rear wheel.

Unless it is really cold I put the gloves away and ride barehanded in the rain for better feel.

Frog Toggs are the best we've found for rain gear with the hood up under the helmet. I have boards on my RT that tend to keep the water away from my footwear but my wife has pegs and she had to put the Frog Togg covers on her feet.

Highwayman2013
08-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Easy on the throttle, no cruise.

Spyda98
08-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Invest in a rain suit that you can take off and put on easily.

SpyderAnn01
08-17-2015, 12:22 PM
If you are in AZ you know to watch for high water running across roads. Be careful and you should be fine it isn't nearly as bad as you may think it will be.

Rogue Hawk
08-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Bring an umbrella ;)

ARtraveler
08-17-2015, 01:21 PM
The above posters have you covered pretty well.

Slow down on the speed a bit.

No cruise control.

Don't drive through standing water--an invitation to hydroplane.

oldguyinTX
08-17-2015, 03:23 PM
I apply Rain-X for plastic on my windshield & visor. The water sheets away, improving visibility. Good rainsuit & waterproof gloves are a must.

wiredgeorge
08-17-2015, 04:03 PM
If you are in AZ you know to watch for high water running across roads. Be careful and you should be fine it isn't nearly as bad as you may think it will be.

In Texas, these are called LOW WATER CROSSINGS.... go figger.

oldguyinTX
08-17-2015, 07:15 PM
In Texas, these are called LOW WATER CROSSINGS.... go figger.

There is a "low water crossing" out in Bear Creek, and I do mean low! The flood gauge on either side of the crossing goes to 12 feet. Wouldn't want to try and cross that.