PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into the world of Spyders

CowlitzBrave
08-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone, I've done nothing but look at Spyders for the last week and I'm very nearly ready to make the leap. I would be getting rid of my car and making this my main form of transportation. Since I've never been on a 2-wheeler I know it's a big change. I just so badly want the open air and freedom this provides, as well as the performance.

I would qualify myself as more sport riding oriented and have been looking at the RS and ST. There are some 2014's available nearby as well as some older ones, with a price difference of approximately $5,000. I'm wondering what the depreciation is on a vehicle like this and if I changed my mind after a few months would I be better off having a used one or newer?

I have many sorts of questions but I would mostly love to hear the insight of those that own and love their Spyder!

Thanks everyone!

cuznjohn
08-16-2015, 03:41 PM
welcome and good luck. if you consider yourself a sport rider i would look at the f3 also. bigger and better motor and much sportier than the others. of course the decision is yours. also think of storage. if this is going to be the only way to travel you will need to carry a few things with you, one in particular a rain suit. so like i said good luck to you

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone, I've done nothing but look at Spyders for the last week and I'm very nearly ready to make the leap. I would be getting rid of my car and making this my main form of transportation. Since I've never been on a 2-wheeler I know it's a big change. I just so badly want the open air and freedom this provides, as well as the performance.

I would qualify myself as more sport riding oriented and have been looking at the RS and ST. There are some 2014's available nearby as well as some older ones, with a price difference of approximately $5,000. I'm wondering what the depreciation is on a vehicle like this and if I changed my mind after a few months would I be better off having a used one or newer?

I have many sorts of questions but I would mostly love to hear the insight of those that own and love their Spyder!

Thanks everyone!

If it's going to be your main transportation (As is the case with me) you would probably want the RT for the copious amounts of storage. Keep in mind, you will need to have somewhere to put your groceries etc. when you go shopping.

But if you just want to go sporty and aren't concerned about grocery shopping, the F3 might be your best bet.

Pam

P.S. A 30 pack of beer fits nicely in the Frunk :cheers::cheers:

Chupaca
08-16-2015, 04:01 PM
I find the RS/RSS the most fun and sportiest in the line up. Now for still sporty but roomier with more comforts you can go for the ST. Cruiser like with great loss of space but bigger engine 6 speed trans you can go for the F3. If replacing your car....the RT will give you more comfort with great storage space nice handling but you do lose a lot of the sportyness..test ryde them, rent them if you can and get a feel for the different models...good luck :thumbup: hunting here is a whole lot of fun

CowlitzBrave
08-16-2015, 04:10 PM
I guess I should clarify, I do have another car, a little old Saturn. That will be what I use to get groceries or other trips that "REQUIRE" a car, but my plan would be to use the spyder for absolutely everything else. The RT is cool, but not at all what I'm looking for. It will mostly be just myself, but I'll be doing some 2-up (I believe that's what it's called) riding as well with my girlfriend. Diving right into a brand new F3 is a pretty big financial commitment, especially since I've got some 2014 RS-S for SE-5 for $15,000 nearby. Thanks for the initial input, I'm open to any and all information!

Bob Denman
08-16-2015, 05:13 PM
:welcome: Take a closer look at the ST Limited... The Saddlebags are removable, for when you've got some fun on your mind... But they actually hold enough stuff for a week out on the road! :thumbup:

Ex Winger
08-16-2015, 06:14 PM
:welcome: Take a closer look at the ST Limited... The Saddlebags are removable, for when you've got some fun on your mind... But they actually hold enough stuff for a week out on the road! :thumbup:
I like the way you think lol

ARtraveler
08-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Test drives are all important to see which version of :ani29: you may like. Sounds like you have ruled out RT. All motorcycles depreciate quickly if bought new. Figure 25% when you drive off on a new one. A used one should take that into consideration. Do some KBB or similar test shopping in your area so you have a ball park price.

If you plan on keeping your :spyder2: for a few years, the depreciation is less of a sting on the pocketbook. The first year is always a killer but after that it slows down a bit.

flaggerphil
08-16-2015, 10:27 PM
I would test ride any type Spyder before buying, if I were you. Jumping in without any experience can go wrong pretty quick. Head down to a dealer and see what model suits you and your wallet best.

loisk
08-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Buy the one you like - but check into factory warranty (balance of...) and extended warranty - for peace of mind.

CowlitzBrave
08-17-2015, 12:33 AM
I plan to test ride tomorrow and figure out if it's what in hoping it will be. If I got a ready good deal on a new I think having warranty would be worth some of that depreciation, especially if the Spyder is almost $5,000 off MSRP. With that in mind, how much wiggle room is there when purchasing a Spyder. I know a lot more about buying a car...

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 06:53 AM
The process is about the same as buying a car... only the clothing is WAY cooler!! :D
Make the deal that you can best live with! Good Luck! :2thumbs:

iSpyder
08-17-2015, 07:04 AM
I use my RTS as my main mode of transportation and love it. Ended up giving my daughter my F150 truck instead of buying another vehicle. I agree it's nice having the extra storage.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-17-2015, 08:50 AM
best to check out valley of the spyders & arachnophobia & perhaps also big ass spyder

CowlitzBrave
08-17-2015, 07:29 PM
I went to a dealer today and got to drive around the parking lot (no endorsement so I'm glad they even let me). I got to ride two RT'S; one manual and one semi-auto. I love the connected feel if the manual, so that's settled. I was able to sit on all models except for an RS. The F3 is cool but it's not gonna work for me. Not much storage space and I don't like the seating position. Now it's RS or ST but I still need to sit on an RS. Also, the RT felt very very large and I'm hoping the other two feel much more nimble.