PDA

View Full Version : First Time Without a Helmet

SpyderWalter
08-16-2015, 09:48 AM
From the first time I went on two wheels I have been ATGATT follower, full face helmet, riding jacket with Kevlar panels.

Bought a 2014 RT S SE6 about a month ago in New Jersey and breaking it in as I prepare for an epic long ride this fall. Really having a good time. Already I have shed the riding jacket in this summer heat. In my wanderings yesterday I drifted into Connecticut.

Decided to take advantage of their no helmet law as an experiment. Stopped at a gas station as I realized I need some eye protection without my Shoei helmet. Rode down Route 7, which is a fine road in any mode.

At first it was disorienting and felt strange but I quickly got used to it and it was grand. Discovered the rear speakers for the first time as they are not evident with the helmet on. Surround sound, cool. Really enjoyed the experience and loved the ride. Had no problem putting back on the helmet as I pulled back into New York State.

On my epic trip I may do it again on scenic routes but will keep the helmet on Highways. A few years ago I had a low side that broke my shoulder blade. My full face helmet had three scrapes in three different directions which meant it likely saved me from more serious issues. Luckily I healed from the shoulder blade and didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage.

I know many here are religiously ATGATT and I've observed several local riders who ride in shorts, but I highly recommend a lovely ride without the lid once in a while, as long as your local laws allow.
SpyderWalter

SpyderAnn01
08-16-2015, 09:52 AM
You don't get to pick the day you crash.

Bob Denman
08-16-2015, 09:52 AM
The first time CAN be an eye opener. :D
I tried it several years ago, and quickly dismissed the option...
...But that's just me!

cuznjohn
08-16-2015, 09:56 AM
i wend down at 10 mph and broke my left scapular, 4 ribs and totaled out my helmet. so since then if i am riding i am wearing a brain bucket. it is called that for a very good reason

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 09:59 AM
I take off my helmet when riding in parades with the American Legion Riders, or when we do short hops. But for the most part, I keep it on when riding at speed. I don't preoccupy my mind with thoughts of crashing, but rather to protect my noggin from those giant bugs, flying debris, and birds**t.:yikes:

Pam

Chupaca
08-16-2015, 10:01 AM
It was nice back when and though I may fail with the ATGATT...the helmet has become the last thing I would skimp on. Glad you got to expierience it but hope you got it out of your system...:pray:

Oldmanzues
08-16-2015, 10:21 AM
A long time ago, I was told dress for the crash, not the ride. or as one lady said, I would rather sweat then bled.
Personal choice. Racing crashes proved safety gear for me works.
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
08-16-2015, 11:44 AM
I take off my helmet when riding in parades with the American Legion Riders, or when we do short hops. But for the most part, I keep it on when riding at speed. I don't preoccupy my mind with thoughts of crashing, but rather to protect my noggin from those giant bugs, flying debris, and birds**t.:yikes:

Pam

Now you've done it! :shocked:
I just HAVE to post this video again!
Your fault!! :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg52C-no-C4&feature=player_detailpage

MouthPiece
08-16-2015, 11:52 AM
:shocked::shocked:

DrewNJ
08-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Im a full face helmet guy 99% of the time. However, When doing a short local ride down in Delaware I'll lose the lid once in awhile too. Is it less safe? Sure.
Personally, I dont try to tell anyone what or how to ride. We are all grown adults, and we all know the risks we take.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pirate looks at --
08-16-2015, 12:12 PM
From the first time I went on two wheels I have been ATGATT follower, full face helmet, riding jacket with Kevlar panels.

Bought a 2014 RT S SE6 about a month ago in New Jersey and breaking it in as I prepare for an epic long ride this fall. Really having a good time. Already I have shed the riding jacket in this summer heat. In my wanderings yesterday I drifted into Connecticut.

Decided to take advantage of their no helmet law as an experiment. Stopped at a gas station as I realized I need some eye protection without my Shoei helmet. Rode down Route 7, which is a fine road in any mode.

At first it was disorienting and felt strange but I quickly got used to it and it was grand. Discovered the rear speakers for the first time as they are not evident with the helmet on. Surround sound, cool. Really enjoyed the experience and loved the ride. Had no problem putting back on the helmet as I pulled back into New York State.

On my epic trip I may do it again on scenic routes but will keep the helmet on Highways. A few years ago I had a low side that broke my shoulder blade. My full face helmet had three scrapes in three different directions which meant it likely saved me from more serious issues. Luckily I healed from the shoulder blade and didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage didn't experience brain damage.

I know many here are religiously ATGATT and I've observed several local riders who ride in shorts, but I highly recommend a lovely ride without the lid once in a while, as long as your local laws allow.
SpyderWalter

RIP

Bob Denman
08-16-2015, 12:20 PM
As far as I can tell; we're all adults in here. (except for ME!), and we're all capable of making the decisions that guide our lives... even the wrong ones.
Just because the rider next to you is just bound to end up getting killed for the lack of a helmet; would you feel comfortable having them judge each and every one of YOUR decisions? :shocked:

Ride your own ride; let others do the same! :2thumbs:

Brian Kay
08-16-2015, 01:42 PM

And, you have done it again... Can't help to laugh every time I see that! :roflblack:

Bfromla
08-16-2015, 02:43 PM
You don't get to pick the day you crash.
Or what will fly @ you to make you crash! Is too simple a thing to risk SO much. But again having suffered a TBI(Traumatic Brain Injury)in 2012 as a Pedestrian! Nurses confused thought I was with other bikers who had spills. If i had been on a bike I would have been better off atleast with helmet! As it was howeverhttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113741&stc=1pic of my 33b-day during my 9month recovery fyi (I was WORSE OFF THAN THIS!)where I lost use of my entire Left side 7times, had to learn, walk, talk, eat, EVERYTHING! ALLOVER againnojoke. Docters didnt offer percentage on my chance to live & dont know how im foing as well as I am. Mom litteraly raised me twice. But if u feel the need to risk it all. Consider what "ALL" really is! To you & yours. Yes my opnion may be biased,FOR GOOD REASON!(&then some= will walk across a parkinglot in gear fyi) more to explaine pm me for proper chat on story, or meet @ rally.

BajaRon
08-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Not to be a Kill-Joy. But that crow would have taken him off his bike at that speed. I hit a sparrow on my Valkyrie at 70 mph. It hit me in my right shoulder and just about took me off. Just a little sparrow! #1, you're not ready for it and #2. By the time you react you are turned sideways, laid back and still having to deal with traveling down the road.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Wear your stuff.... :ohyea: Let the other guy find out what happens when you don't!

jerpinoy
08-16-2015, 03:16 PM
We must show a good example to all that wearing proper riding attire is a must. Like it or not new riders are looking and watching us.

Bob Denman
08-16-2015, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=BajaRon;1022858]Not to be a Kill-Joy. But that crow would have taken him off his bike at that speed. I hit a sparrow on my Valkyrie at 70 mph. It hit me in my right shoulder and just about took me off. Just a little sparrow! #1, you're not ready for it and #2. By the time you react you are turned sideways, laid back and still having to deal with traveling down the road.QUOTE]
Ron,
:D C'mon...
It's John Travolta! :shocked:
If that's not tough enough; it's John Travolta playing a LAWYER! :yikes: :bowdown::bowdown:

900Dave
08-16-2015, 05:39 PM
RIP

This is the second time I have personally read a post from you tell a member on this board to RIP!!!

There are only TWO kinds of people you say that to. Someone who just recently passed away or someone you would like to see DEAD!!! At least that is the way see it.

I would never tell that to another member on this board!

Bob Denman
08-16-2015, 05:40 PM
:shocked: Before this becomes a major pissing match; let's all back away from the table, and put down the cabbages... :D

ARtraveler
08-16-2015, 07:03 PM
A great subject for a pissing match as one can see above.

I do ATGATT. Others can do what ever they desire. It is a free country.

My only objection is the scare tactics that sometimes pop up in these kinds of threads. Not sure, but don't think they help a lot.

Over and out. :thumbup:

900Dave
08-16-2015, 07:16 PM
:shocked: Before this becomes a major pissing match; let's all back away from the table, and put down the cabbages... :D

No Pissing match Bob! To each there own. I will ride with you if you wear all the gear or You choose shorts & no helmet, it is your choice. This one comment by this individual just got under my skin AGAIN.

The last time I walked away from the keyboard. This time I had to say it.

wyliec
08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Who cares if there's a pissing contest. Every one is entitled to their opinion. If you don't agree with some one, piss away or piss off.

fratzba
08-16-2015, 08:30 PM
It's your choice, but how many times have you heard/felt something bounce off your helmet when riding?

Now imagine it bouncing off your face instead...

I'm guessing that if you're not going to wear a helmet, then you're probably not going to wear any other sort of protective gear either? No real point, IMO.

-Fratz

clinard
08-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Everyone is free to choose. However, I keep this around as a reminder of why I do what I do. My $.02

flaggerphil
08-16-2015, 10:04 PM
When I rode two wheels (I started in 1968) I NEVER rode without a helmet, even in parades. Never.

On the Spyder the only time I ride without a helmet is in some parades. Not group rides...a parade. Even then I'll usually wear at least a half helmet, but there have been some (usually veterans parades) when I only wear a hat. That way I can return salutes to other veterans along the route. As soon as the parade is over, out comes my Shoei RF 1100 and back on my head it goes.

In 1980 a full face helmet literally saved my life when I was hit from the side by a drunk driver. That's a good enough reason for me to wear one. I'm 64 years old and have no desire to go before I'm supposed to.

YMMV.

BTW, this is a pic of that helmet from 1980. It sits on a shelf of honor in my music room. It's a Simpson.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu294/flaggerphil/Riding/1980helmet4_zps6eccc9f3.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/flaggerphil/media/Riding/1980helmet4_zps6eccc9f3.jpg.html)

jScotD
08-16-2015, 10:20 PM
I see people wearing helmets with shorts and flip flops on... HeLLo .. I don't get it

Mtdew57
08-16-2015, 10:28 PM
I saw something for the first time last week, a guy riding barefoot.

Pirate looks at --
08-17-2015, 09:13 AM
This is the second time I have personally read a post from you tell a member on this board to RIP!!!

There are only TWO kinds of people you say that to. Someone who just recently passed away or someone you would like to see DEAD!!! At least that is the way see it.

I would never tell that to another member on this board!
:chill: ....and on the same subject, at least I am consistent!

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 09:28 AM
I see people wearing helmets with shorts and flip flops on... HeLLo .. I don't get it

I see that often here in Arizona. I just shake my head and move on. Nothing you can do about other people's stupidity.

Pam

jcasey
08-17-2015, 09:37 AM
Riding without a helmet is like skinny dipping. Feels good but you know you shouldn't do it! :yes::yes::yes:

Rockwall
08-17-2015, 09:54 AM
My area is very heavy in Harley's and no helmets. I respect everyone's right to do what they want. Isn't this what being a biker and riding out in the wind is all about? We all accept a very inherent danger when we climb on a two or three wheeler and go. Sure it will increase your chances of survival and lesser injury if you are as protected as possible. But we all ride for fun and the freedom of the open road. I have ridden without helmets for a long time. I ride with a club that has members with and without them. On a ride last year one member went down immediately in front of me and rolled at over 50mph. He was wearing leather and an open face. He was very sore and scratched up, but nothing more serious luckily. His helmet had a major scuff on it. That made me change my personal habit and I always now wear a Daytona half helmet. Sure it is not anywhere near as safe as others, but it is my compromise for now. I accept my risks out there and don't ride with the hope of complete safety.

Please remember the fellowship of the world of bikers and respect what others choose to do. It is what is so great about the hobby and also about this site. After all I don't want to die---but I want to live while I am here.

Rawhide kid
08-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Very well said Rockwall.

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 10:03 AM
My area is very heavy in Harley's and no helmets. I respect everyone's right to do what they want. Isn't this what being a biker and riding out in the wind is all about? We all accept a very inherent danger when we climb on a two or three wheeler and go. Sure it will increase your chances of survival and lesser injury if you are as protected as possible. But we all ride for fun and the freedom of the open road. I have ridden without helmets for a long time. I ride with a club that has members with and without them. On a ride last year one member went down immediately in front of me and rolled at over 50mph. He was wearing leather and an open face. He was very sore and scratched up, but nothing more serious luckily. His helmet had a major scuff on it. That made me change my personal habit and I always now wear a Daytona half helmet. Sure it is not anywhere near as safe as others, but it is my compromise for now. I accept my risks out there and don't ride with the hope of complete safety.

Please remember the fellowship of the world of bikers and respect what others choose to do. It is what is so great about the hobby and also about this site. After all I don't want to die---but I want to live while I am here.

:agree:

bug's zedi
08-17-2015, 10:24 AM
would you feel comfortable having them judge each and every one of YOUR decisions? :shocked:

Well yes I would be comfortable having people judge all my decisions, after all it was I who made them. nojoke
If my decision was a stupid one, then they would be telling the truth in calling me out, If it was not, then if they said it was stupid, then it would be a lie, and who cares? I only ask that I would have a chance to debate openly the merits or stupidity of my decisions.

Mikel53
08-17-2015, 10:40 AM
This sounds like"deja vu " all over again!

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 10:49 AM
:agree: :bdh:

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 10:54 AM
:agree: :bdh:

:agree:x2 :bdh:

The world is flat.
No, the world is round.
Let's just ride.

Pam

missouriboy
08-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Riding without a helmet is like skinny dipping. Feels good but you know you shouldn't do it! :yes::yes::yes:HUH??? Why should a person not skinny dip? :hun:

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 01:01 PM
:shocked: Because it frightens the neighbor's pigs...

jcasey
08-17-2015, 01:02 PM
:popcorn:

Mcubed45
08-17-2015, 01:07 PM
But, if you are going to do that, please sign the organ donor permission on your driver's license.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::2thumbs:

Rogue Hawk
08-17-2015, 01:08 PM

SpyderWalter

It certainly is nicer without a helmet. Just about anything is nicer without a helmet ;)

What I do is wear MC specific sun glasses and keep the visor up.Just a suggestion, if you still want some protection, try wearing a 1/4 or 1/2 helmet.

Rogue Hawk
08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
I see that often here in Arizona. I just shake my head and move on. Nothing you can do about other people's stupidity.

Pam

Arizona is a blow torch in the summer. I can understand why people don't want to wear gear. If I lived there, I would only ride at night so I can wear protection.

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Arizona is a blow torch in the summer. I can understand why people don't want to wear gear. If I lived there, I would only ride at night so I can wear protection.

Believe it or not, I am actually cooler under the blow torch of a sun with my body covered up. I wear jeans and long sleeve shirt to protect my skin. I have tried going outside in shorts and tank top and its miserable. Feels like my skin is going to burn off. In July and August I run my errands early in the morning or in the evening. Most rides this time of year are early breakfast rides, or evening rides. It's worth it for a couple of months of misery as a trade off for our wonderful winters.

..... and riding with bare legs next to hot exhaust pipes and hot engine??? It hurts just to look at those people :yikes:

Pam

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 01:46 PM
:agree: Get yourself underneath some mesh gear, and THEN tell us that you're cooler without it! :thumbup:

TEHelms
08-17-2015, 02:06 PM
My adjacent state has no helmet law so when I ride there I sometimes shed mine. I'll say this, having ridden two wheels for years always with the bucket on...riding without a helmet is a totally different sound experience on the Spyder. With a helmet I get all exhaust noise and without it's mostly engine sounds...very mechanical..you can really hear the cams and clatter from the valves.

I wouldn't ride on an interstate without but it's my thought that if you crash a Spyder, unless you're at a low speed, it's not going to be pretty because there's no siding this thing...you're likely coming off and as the Blood Rock song went, "we were flying along and hit something in the air."

Has anyone here come off one and walked away?

PaladinLV
08-17-2015, 02:25 PM

He must have been from Las Vegas! :roflblack:

AJ

PaladinLV
08-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Taking your "Qs" from the Bedouins.
They've been living under the desert sun for over a 1000 years. ;)

AJ

Believe it or not, I am actually cooler under the blow torch of a sun with my body covered up. I wear jeans and long sleeve shirt to protect my skin. I have tried going outside in shorts and tank top and its miserable. Feels like my skin is going to burn off. In July and August I run my errands early in the morning or in the evening. Most rides this time of year are early breakfast rides, or evening rides. It's worth it for a couple of months of misery as a trade off for our wonderful winters.

..... and riding with bare legs next to hot exhaust pipes and hot engine??? It hurts just to look at those people :yikes:

Pam

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Taking your "Qs" from the Bedouins.
They've been living under the desert sun for over a 1000 years. ;)

AJ

:thumbup:

Firefly
08-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Michigan recently recalled our helmet law. I've ridden a few times without... and yes.. it feels GREAT. But.. it really isn't a smart thing to do. Seems we have more fatalities this summer for sure.

I still do it here and there... interesting to hear the various noises the Spyder makes to make sure all is good.

As far as the idea of wearing one on the highway but not in town... that's really backwards thinking. With high speed highway accident a helmet might not make much difference. In town at lower speeds (where most accidents happen), that is the exact place you want a helmet.

Here's a blast from the past.... didn't know TN had helmet law back at one of the SITS.. and we were all riding a group ride.. and I got pulled over by a MC cop. Someone was kind enough to take a photo of it....

He wouldn't even settle for a warning... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113810&stc=1

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 03:23 PM
<snip>As far as the idea of wearing one on the highway but not in town... that's really backwards thinking. With high speed highway accident a helmet might not make much difference. In town at lower speeds (where most accidents happen), that is the exact place you want a helmet.

Ever been hit in the head with a piece of gravel or other debris while riding 75 MPH? I haven't, but my helmet has quite a few times, and it gave me quite a jolt each time. I can't even imagine what would have happened to my head had I not been wearing a helmet. :yikes: That's why I always wear one when riding; parades excluded.

Pam

wiredgeorge
08-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Well, I think I have heard from all the helmet police. "I do this, I do that". And the best one.... "you will die a grissley death and be all yucky!" Geesh, this is the land of the free and home of the little ol' lady/politically correct! As the great 21st century philosopher, Mr. Bobby Knight once quipped:

When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my a..! (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/bobbyknigh359550.html)
Bobby Knight (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/bobbyknigh359550.html)

Or, as our forefathers once opined: DON'T TREAD ON ME!

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Well, I think I have heard from all the helmet police. "I do this, I do that". And the best one.... "you will die a grissley death and be all yucky!" Geesh, this is the land of the free and home of the little ol' lady/politically correct! As the great 21st century philosopher, Mr. Bobby Knight once quipped:

When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my a..! (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/bobbyknigh359550.html)
Bobby Knight (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/bobbyknigh359550.html)

Or, as our forefathers once opined: DON'T TREAD ON ME!

Yup, you are free to wear whatever you want, and enjoy your ride. I'm with you all the way on that. I will ride side by side with you anytime you want, as long as you ride safely I don't care whether or not you wear a helmet. It's a personal choice that we all make on our own.

Pam

Rawhide kid
08-17-2015, 05:02 PM
But, if you are going to do that, please sign the organ donor permission on your driver's license.

even if you ride with a helmet, please be an organ donor. Do something wonderful for someone you don't know. That, is true giving.

robmorg
08-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Walter,

:welcome: I see you've only been on the forum just a month, so you may not have expected the response you got on this one. ;)

But now you've been indoctrinated, INCLUDING being told to "rest in peace". :cheers: There are only two subjects that get this sort of reaction here. You've just hit upon one of them, as you can see. The other, well... I'll just say that if you're lucky, and you stick around a while, you'll likely avoid that one altogether. :sour:

I hope you do stick around, and that you feel free to join in all the various conversations, whenever you have something to say. Also, enjoy that new RT of yours - it's a beauty. :thumbup: And seriously, please do continue to share both your experiences and your questions, here on the forum. We really are a friendly bunch, and you will learn a lot - I know I did. ;)

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Yup, you are free to wear whatever you want, and enjoy your ride. I'm with you all the way on that. I will ride side by side with you anytime you want, as long as you ride safely I don't care whether or not you wear a helmet. It's a personal choice that we all make on our own.

Pam

Hey Pam! :D
But would you ride with ME?? :roflblack:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113814&stc=1

SpyderWalter
08-17-2015, 05:33 PM
But now you've been indoctrinated, INCLUDING being told to "rest in peace". :cheers: There are only two subjects that get this sort of reaction here. You've just hit upon one of them, as you can see. The other, well... I'll just say that I hope you don't stumble upon that one unaware. :shocked:

Actually I won a bet. When I shared my note before publishing to another person with, shall we say, experience on the site warned me that I was entering a buzz saw and that the militant ATGATT folk would descend upon me without mercy. I countered that the short time I was on here there would be others who would at least understand if not rise in defense. That is exactly what happened. I like the folk on this forum.

As I noted in my initial note, I am still ATGATT on two wheels (which I also have) but I will indeed relax from time to time on the Spyder. Never on an expressway, never for very long. I once drove a friend's 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible with V-8 engine on twisty North Carolina mountain roads. Lots of fun and no protection, just a lap strap and no safety in case of a roll over (yes, had that baby on two wheels several occasions, I took it too fast, but I was younger then). Also an accident where a BMW SUV went airborne and crossed lanes, crushed a couple of cars on the Taconic Parkway Saturday which I also rode but not near the accident. Several killed in a terrible crash where a helmet would not have helped me (which I was of course wearing in New York State). I am not cavalier and have no plans to go soon but I will go sooner or later. I figured that out. And yes, I am an organ donor, thanks.

So chatter away, be respectful, I respect all of you and appreciate your advise. Won't follow it all but I will always listen.

Now about my upcoming oil change...

;)

Thanks...
SpyderWalter

Pampurrs
08-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Hey Pam! :D
But would you ride with ME?? :roflblack:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113814&stc=1

Uncle Bob? Is that you? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 05:36 PM
"Now about my upcoming oil change..."
:lecturef_smilie: Only use Canola; it'll make your fries lighter and tastier! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Uncle Bob? Is that you? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Nope! It's just my Stunt Double! :2thumbs:

"No idiots were harmed, during the taking of that picture..." :D

Pirate looks at --
08-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Walter,

So you know I personally respect your right to wear a helmet or not. The "RIP", was in jest! I can't imagine why anyone would want to not wear a helmet just to protect the old between the ears computer! My brother was just running down to the parts store to pick up a part when he was hit head on by someone in a VW bug, no helmet, big hole in his skull, and he was lucky, several weeks in the Hospital, and a lot of prayers and he survived, and he has worn that "Brain Bucket" ever since, and so do I. I would Ryde with you anytime helmet or not! I also respect your right to wear what you see fit to wear!

Peace

900Dave
08-17-2015, 06:43 PM
:agree: Get yourself underneath some mesh gear, and THEN tell us that you're cooler without it! :thumbup:

We wore our mesh gear on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Saturday afternoon we said this is enough. Stripped it off and we were both far cooler and more comfortable in T shirts. We wear it when we can but when it gets too hot!!!! It comes off.

900Dave
08-17-2015, 07:21 PM
Walter,

So you know I personally respect your right to wear a helmet or not. The "RIP", was in jest! I can't imagine why anyone would want to not wear a helmet just to protect the old between the ears computer! My brother was just running down to the parts store to pick up a part when he was hit head on by someone in a VW bug, no helmet, big hole in his skull, and he was lucky, several weeks in the Hospital, and a lot of prayers and he survived, and he has worn that "Brain Bucket" ever since, and so do I. I would Ryde with you anytime helmet or not! I also respect your right to wear what you see fit to wear!

Peace

I am Ok with this. I just believe your other comment is out of line IMO.

900Dave
08-17-2015, 07:24 PM
But now you've been indoctrinated, INCLUDING being told to "rest in peace". :cheers: There are only two subjects that get this sort of reaction here. You've just hit upon one of them, as you can see. The other, well... I'll just say that I hope you don't stumble upon that one unaware. :shocked:

Actually I won a bet. When I shared my note before publishing to another person with, shall we say, experience on the site warned me that I was entering a buzz saw and that the militant ATGATT folk would descend upon me without mercy. I countered that the short time I was on here there would be others who would at least understand if not rise in defense. That is exactly what happened. I like the folk on this forum.

As I noted in my initial note, I am still ATGATT on two wheels (which I also have) but I will indeed relax from time to time on the Spyder. Never on an expressway, never for very long. I once drove a friend's 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible with V-8 engine on twisty North Carolina mountain roads. Lots of fun and no protection, just a lap strap and no safety in case of a roll over (yes, had that baby on two wheels several occasions, I took it too fast, but I was younger then). Also an accident where a BMW SUV went airborne and crossed lanes, crushed a couple of cars on the Taconic Parkway Saturday which I also rode but not near the accident. Several killed in a terrible crash where a helmet would not have helped me (which I was of course wearing in New York State). I am not cavalier and have no plans to go soon but I will go sooner or later. I figured that out. And yes, I am an organ donor, thanks.

So chatter away, be respectful, I respect all of you and appreciate your advise. Won't follow it all but I will always listen.

Now about my upcoming oil change...

;)

Thanks...
SpyderWalter

And what brand of tire are you considering?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

wyliec
08-17-2015, 08:06 PM
And what brand of tire are you considering?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

kenda, kenda, kenda

MrBones
08-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Your not to old Phil I started riding 2 wheels in 1945 on a Cushman. Had to get to work! Was 12 and we were building track houses for the returning Vets. I have had 3 major mishaps in the riding time. And do have to wear a helmet. But the other gear people have to wear is in my mind a negitive mind set that they are going to crash this time. I wear the helmet because I was racing a car with no helmet and a corner came up and had to lay it down Took off both sides of my face and broke my skull from the right eye socket to my upper jaw bone. But I was so drunk I got up and rode the bike home! Also scraped off my knee down to the joint. This was in 1965 and haven't rode drinking since then. But still see no need for body armor as I like the feeling of freedom I get from the wind. So those that do and those that don't enjoy it your own way.

sandeejs
08-17-2015, 10:41 PM
...I highly recommend a lovely ride without the lid once in a while, as long as your local laws allow.
SpyderWalter

My local laws allow it, but my hair blowing around drives me crazy. It's such a habit by now, it feels weird without the lid.
~Sandee~

flaggerphil
08-17-2015, 11:29 PM
My adjacent state has no helmet law so when I ride there I sometimes shed mine. I'll say this, having ridden two wheels for years always with the bucket on...riding without a helmet is a totally different sound experience on the Spyder. With a helmet I get all exhaust noise and without it's mostly engine sounds...very mechanical..you can really hear the cams and clatter from the valves.

I wouldn't ride on an interstate without but it's my thought that if you crash a Spyder, unless you're at a low speed, it's not going to be pretty because there's no siding this thing...you're likely coming off and as the Blood Rock song went, "we were flying along and hit something in the air."

Has anyone here come off one and walked away?

I'll relate an incident I witnessed two years ago.

I was riding my Spyder near my home and going past a local strip mall. A man (at least my age...maybe older...I was 62 at the time) was on a Spyder RT wearing t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, and sun glasses when he pulled out of the shopping center in front of a car going down the road. The car swerved away from him, but he still hit the car going less than 20 mph...the car was going about the same speed. His Spyder was knocked into a ditch and he went flying...in his sun glasses, t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. He hit the road and tumbled into the grass next to the road.

He did not walk away.

I got off my Spyder (and took off my helmet) and stayed with with him until the police and ambulance got there...less then 10 minutes. He was badly scraped up and was bleeding from a couple of places on his scalp. The woman who'd been driving the car was distraught, though she had done nothing wrong. When the police got there he kept telling them he had a helmet on but didn't know what happened to it. Which was not true. They took him away in an ambulance and I have no idea what happened to him after that. I do know if he'd had a helmet on he would have avoided the visible head injuries, and the EMTs there thought he had other closed head injuries.

At 20 miles an hour.

I always ride with a helmet.

If someone wants to ride without a helmet and it's legal, more power to them. But I think it's stupid.

GunDoctor
08-19-2015, 04:51 PM
3 days in a coma and a Moto3 split in half has kept my helmet on since.

Robertsepolen
08-19-2015, 05:29 PM
After 30years working ER, I will ask you to wear it. We are vulnerable enough as it is. Protective gear works quite frequently. 114033

2015 RT-S

Bob Denman
08-19-2015, 05:33 PM
:D This is a REALLY fun topic! nojoke
But nothing that any of us says; is going to change the minds of anyone else... :shocked:
DEAL WITH IT! :roflblack:

Robertsepolen
08-19-2015, 05:34 PM
True Bob true.

2015 RT-S

wyliec
08-19-2015, 06:35 PM
:D This is a REALLY fun topic! nojoke
But nothing that any of us says; is going to change the minds of anyone else... :shocked:
DEAL WITH IT! :roflblack:

Yeah, like getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick, or hung with a new rope.

Peter Aawen
08-19-2015, 07:05 PM
HUH??? Why should a person not skinny dip? :hun:

:shocked: Because it frightens the neighbor's pigs...

For those of us who don't get to see the post titles, this ^^ is just too much!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Does everyone else reading on their phone see the post titles all the time? Or is it just my phone that doesn't show them? :rolleyes:

As as for the helmet thing, for my 2 cents worth, it comes down to $5 brain, $5 bucket - your choice, you wear the consequences. :sour:

missouriboy
08-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Does everyone else reading on their phone see the post titles all the time? Or is it just my phone that doesn't show them? :rolleyes: :sour:When you "Reply With Quote" the quote does not include the title, so starting a sentence in the title, and concluding it in the body, results in an oxymoron. Or at least an incomplete statement.

Let titles be titles and posts be posts, and ne'er the twain shall meet!

sandeejs
08-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Every time I look at the clip, I have to laugh out loud.
Thanks, Bob. It's the only exercise I got all day!
~Sandee~

pegasus1300
08-19-2015, 09:50 PM

SpyderWalter

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Utah doesn't have a helmet law either and sometimes it is nice ride around with the helmet off.

kngfsh27
08-19-2015, 09:57 PM
I live on the west side of Missouri about 15 miles from Kansas and about 120 miles from Iowa. I ride in both of states often. Missouri has a helmet law. People have asked me many times what I do with my helmet when I cross the state line. Since I don't like to just carry my helmet on the bike, I have certain spots that I cross the state lines. There are crosses where someone has been killed just across the line. I set my helmet on or at the cross so I don't have to carry it. Good story isn't it. Truth is, I keep it on my head. :roflblack:I don't care what anyone else does. Whether you wear or not that is your choice. Have fun riding.

Ben Burped
08-19-2015, 10:19 PM
HUH??? Why should a person not skinny dip? :hun:

Shrinkage.:yikes:

Peter Aawen
08-19-2015, 11:09 PM
When you "Reply With Quote" the quote does not include the title, .....

That might be so missouriboy, but even before you get to the quoting stage, I've just checked a few other phone type devices, and NONE of those we had handy even displayed the titles of posts when we simply viewed the the thread & posts!! :yikes:

So for those people who think they are conveying a message to everyone by starting a sentence in the title & then continuing in the text - I'd guess that there's a fairly significant portion of your potential reading population who will never get to see the first bit!! (unless they go to a PC or iPad etc later like I've just done?!) :(

That means that a lot of the posters who do that 'title continued in text' thing tend to look more than just a bit.... hmmm, is 'silly' too harsh a word? The others here who've looked at it used far harsher comments, but they aren't Spyder riders or members on the Forum, so I'm not sure their opinion counts for much!! ;) But you are right missouriboy, everyone should leave the title right out of anything they want to convey to all their readers! :thumbup:

Of course, that's all got nothing at all to do with wearing helmets or not, so I apologise for that bit of a thread hijack - but you should be able to see how it can make many threads read as being either silly, annoying, funny, or a combination of all those - the last of those earlier posts I linked & quoted was one of the more 'entertaining' incidences! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
08-20-2015, 06:55 AM
:shocked::hun:

wyliec
08-20-2015, 07:48 AM
;) But you are right missouriboy, everyone should leave the title right out of anything they want to convey to all their readers! :thumbup:

I finally understood what you were trying to convey, when I read this sentence.

Dan McNally
08-20-2015, 11:39 AM
I don't care what someone else does or doesn't wear - that is between them and their loved ones. For me, though, I'll never ride without a helmet, again. Many years ago, in Arkansas, I didn't even have a helmet when I got my first bike, and, therefore, couldn't ride it on base. Eventually, I saved enough to get one.

Several months later, while doing stupid :cus:, which young men in their late teens are prone to do, especially when copious amounts of alcohol are involved, I took a spill on my bike. It wasn't a bad one, and I wasn't hurt. I got up, feeling embarrassed, brushed myself off, and, as I was picking up my bike, saw my buddy, staring at me with his mouth hanging open. When I asked him what was wrong, he kept asking if I was OK - then told me to look at my helmet. on the right side, embedded in my helmet, was a jagged, golf ball sized rock - and it would have been my right temple it was sticking out of, if I hadn't had that helmet on.

I've never ridden without a helmet, since that day.

WA5VHU
05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130342&stc=1

robmorg
05-18-2016, 12:59 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130342&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1463590233

So..., picking up where we left off 7 months ago...

Can't help but wonder.... Did you just post that picture, with no text in the message, as a silent warning to folks who sometimes don't wear a helmet, or as a jibe to the folks above who pointed out that you shouldn't put your message in the title line because many folks will never see the title line, depending on what media they are using to read the forum. ;)

oldguyinTX
05-18-2016, 01:30 PM
I agree that it is fun to sometimes ride without a helmet, and that it is a personal decision for each of us to make on our own, without being judged by others. I've done it myself. Having said that, since I had a bad crash in 1976 (An elderly lady ran a red light & I had nowhere to go except the side of her car) Since that day I have chosen to always ride with a helmet, even if I'm just riding the 3 miles into town on rural roads. The doctor who treated me told me that had I not been wearing a helmet when I had that crash, the outcome would have been very different. Oh, and he told me that two days later when I woke up.

SteveP
05-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Rode a couple times in my teen years on my CB350 Honda without a skid lid , once I took a small stone ( felt like a curling stone) off my forehead to leave a little lump . Last time was in Jamaica on a rented 250 XL Honda .... I ducked under a truck mirror that was sticking out after meeting on a tight corner and said ok that's my last near miss . I actually had such a bad sunburn on my forehead from riding all day there that years later I had to have a patch above my left eye cut out and grafted because it was cancerous . Have a conversation with Gary Busy if you have the chance .... Not sure he knows how he feels about helmets now . All said I agree to each their own but I look at it from my wife's point of view , would I like to see her riding without one ? Uuuuh no ....

BajaRon
05-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Very tempting to ride without a helmet. Don't do it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEcwAWi6dk

Peter Aawen
05-18-2016, 08:36 PM

Can't help but wonder.... Did you just post that picture, with no text in the message, as a silent warning to folks who sometimes don't wear a helmet, or as a jibe to the folks above who pointed out that you shouldn't put your message in the title line because many folks will never see the title line, depending on what media they are using to read the forum. ;)

:hun: So now I've just gotta ask, WAS there some message in the title line of the pic from WA5VHU?? :shocked: If so, anyone care to pass it on?? :sour: :banghead:

Just askin' :rolleyes:

WA5VHU
05-18-2016, 08:53 PM
:hun: So now I've just gotta ask, WAS there some message in the title line of the pic from WA5VHU?? :shocked: If so, anyone care to pass it on?? :sour: :banghead:

Just askin' :rolleyes:

And this, kids, is why you wear a frickin helmet.

Bob Denman
05-19-2016, 07:22 AM
:D It's a personal choice thing... :thumbup:
I've tried riding the street without a helmet, on just to occasions. Both were in Ohio, and both were while returning from SpyderFest. Each trip was less than a mile in length, so my experience is quite limited.
It was... different! :D
Mildly unsettling; kind of neat, and something that I wouldn't want to repeat out on the interstates! :shocked:

Peter Aawen
05-19-2016, 07:26 AM
And this, kids, is why you wear a frickin helmet.

Ahh. Thanks, that does add a little to the message! :thumbup:

2Paw
05-19-2016, 07:39 AM

If I might ask the "stupid" question, Why do some people not see the title line? Is it because they are using a device other than a computer to read the forum? If that's the case why have the title line?

robmorg
05-19-2016, 07:51 AM
:D It's a personal choice thing... :thumbup:
I've tried riding the street without a helmet, on just to occasions. Both were in Ohio, and both were while returning from SpyderFest. Each trip was less than a mile in length, so my experience is quite limited.
It was... different! :D
Mildly unsettling; kind of neat, and something that I wouldn't want to repeat out on the interstates! :shocked:
:agree: I've had the same experiences and reactions. And I live in a state where helmets are not mandatory. I used to ride a lot with a half-helmet, but even that doesn't "feel right" to me anymore. But as you said - it's a personal choice - especially in a no-helmet state. I would never try to tell anyone what they must or should do (unless I was paying their salary). And the last time I remember telling someone that they were making a "wrong choice" is when I still had kids at home. (Well, I HAVE said that to my wife in the past, but when I did, it NEVER worked out well.)

robmorg
05-19-2016, 08:16 AM
If I might ask the "stupid" question, Why do some people not see the title line? Is it because they are using a device other than a computer to read the forum? If that's the case why have the title line? My guess is that some forum reading software, like Tapatalk, do not display it. Cannot say for sure because I don't use that app, but a lot of folks do. Maybe one of them will comment.

I think the original purpose of the title line was to bring attention to your post, or when making a "side point", etc. It is useful for that purpose, and can often make a thread a little easier to follow. I have to admit, though, that I find it a little "disorienting" when some members use the title line to begin the actual text of a message, and then begin the message itself in the middle of a sentence. (That probably makes me somewhat "anal" ;).) I would guess that folks who cannot see the title line find that downright confusing at times. This was mentioned by a few posters on the previous page of this thread last year. I was picking up on those posts when I made the [probably ill-conceived] comment I did above.

Bob Denman
05-19-2016, 08:24 AM
:agree: If you keep your message in the message box: all is well and good! :thumbup:
The Title Line is best used to emphasize what the meat of your message will be about; it's not actually necessary to use it all of the time...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-19-2016, 08:34 AM
As far as I can tell; we're all adults in here. (except for ME!), and we're all capable of making the decisions that guide our lives... even the wrong ones.
Just because the rider next to you is just bound to end up getting killed for the lack of a helmet; would you feel comfortable having them judge each and every one of YOUR decisions? :shocked:

i very much agree as long as i don't pay for your mistake

ruralgirl
05-19-2016, 08:36 AM
It's all about the govt thinking it can control us, and it's very upsetting to see young people happily submit to laws that strip us of freedoms that I was born with but which they've never experienced. I always tell people that it boils down to this:

The government has the right to protect other people from me, and, with my permission, it has the right to protect me from other people, but it does not, never did have, and never will have the right to protect me from myself.

Educate me without twisting or withholding the facts, but do NOT dictate to me.

BajaRon
05-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Since we are going so far astray I felt this would be appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhOKhJaM1QE

ruralgirl
05-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Well, shoot! Anyone know why the links to "thank" or "like" my posts disappeared as soon as I added a pic to my signature? I've gone through all my settings and don't see anything relating to them.

Or maybe the cyber gods simply know that I won't need them anymore after my last post!

robmorg
05-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Ron, I hardly ever know what condition my condition is in. :shocked: However, in those instances when it is useful to have that information, my wife is always quick to help.

AY4B
05-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Ryde safe everyone how ever you do it but the most important thing is to have Jesus in your heart first. Then whatever may happen, you are covered. :pray:

BajaRon
05-19-2016, 08:58 AM
It's all about the govt thinking it can control us, and it's very upsetting to see young people happily submit to laws that strip us of freedoms that I was born with but which they've never experienced. I always tell people that it boils down to this:

The government has the right to protect other people from me, and, with my permission, it has the right to protect me from other people, but it does not, never did have, and never will have the right to protect me from myself.

Educate me without twisting or withholding the facts, but do NOT dictate to me.

You're just looking at one side of the coin. The real problem is that people want the government to take care of them. Food Stamps, Government Housing, Social Security, Medicare, School Meal Programs, Minimum Wage, Subsidies of all kinds, College Loans, Business Loans, O'Bama Phones. The Give-A-Way list is endless and some politicians are working as hard as they can to add more items.

For instance. If you smack your head on the pavement and you can't afford treatment, what happens anyway? That's right, you get treated. Who pays the bill? The government, (which is you and me, the tax payer).

So, if the government is going to be on the hook for the consequences of your choice of safety gear (or lack thereof), then you have given them the right to tell you to wear a helmet.

Personal freedom requires personal responsibility. And that went away a long time ago.

robmorg
05-19-2016, 09:01 AM
Well, shoot! Anyone know why the links to "thank" or "like" my posts disappeared as soon as I added a pic to my signature? I've gone through all my settings and don't see anything relating to them.Have to say that I've never seen that happen. I have a picture in my signature and do not loose those links. You DO have to be logged in in order to see them, though. Those options are not available to "guests". And, of course, you do not see them in your own posts.

Bob Denman
05-19-2016, 09:04 AM
"Well, shoot! Anyone know why the links to "thank" or "like" my posts disappeared as soon as I added a pic to my signature? I've gone through all my settings and don't see anything relating to them.

Or maybe the cyber gods simply know that I won't need them anymore after my last post!"

I don't think that you can see them underneath your own posts... :shocked:
But I saw them!

ruralgirl
05-19-2016, 09:09 AM
YIKES, they're back! And Bob has "liked" me ... connection?? I always suspected you were all-powerful in here, Bob!

Bob Denman
05-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Thanks, but I'm just the Court Jester: nothing else! :D

ruralgirl
05-19-2016, 09:14 AM
This is crazy. They're gone again and I haven't done anything.

BajaRon
05-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Ron, I hardly ever know what condition my condition is in. :shocked: However, in those instances when it is useful to have that information, my wife is always quick to help.

Sounds normal to me! :thumbup:

ruralgirl
05-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Have to say that I've never seen that happen. I have a picture in my signature and do not loose those links. You DO have to be logged in in order to see them, though. Those options are not available to "guests". And, of course, you do not see them in your own posts.

I'm logged in and still not seeing them, and I've always seen them beneath my own posts. Weird.

robmorg
05-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Ruralgirl, you should be able to see who else has thanked you or liked your posts. But you will NOT have the ability to thank or like yourself - at least not in the forum. ;)

ruralgirl
05-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Ruralgirl, you should be able to see who has thanked you or liked your posts. But you will NOT have the ability to thank or like yourself - at least not in the forum. ;)

That obviously makes sense, so I guess I'm just remembering wrong (wouldn't be my first Senior Moment), but this morning, things have definitely been coming and going beneath my posts. Other than adding my pic, I did add an avatar last night, but removed it this morning, and that's when things went goofy. I'm going to blame it on Windows 10. They've taken more control of my computer than the govt ever has. :D

ruralgirl
05-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Personal freedom requires personal responsibility. And that went away a long time ago.

Very true. And THAT boils down to overpopulation, just as my Population prof said eons ago at Cornell. The larger the population, the more the confronting opinions, so the more the laws, and the less the freedoms.

But, anyway, back on topic; the snow and hail from earlier this week has morphed into sun and warmth, so I'm out the door to RIDE my newly decaled Spyke. I may or may not wear a helmet! :D

Bob Denman
05-19-2016, 10:32 AM
I'm normally an ATGATT kind of a guy...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130519&stc=1

oldguyinTX
05-19-2016, 10:50 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130520&stc=1

Bob Denman
05-19-2016, 11:06 AM
:clap:

But this one is my favorite... for now! :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130521&stc=1

Kwalsh
05-19-2016, 11:46 AM
that dead horse just helped me pass my lunch hour, however you ride be safe and have fun!!!!:spyder2::spyder2:

ingramwc
05-19-2016, 01:18 PM
I know the horse died so this is short...
A Shock Trauma Nurse told me that in their unit they call helmetless motorcycle riders, Organ Donors!!!!!! Just a thought.:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

WA5VHU
05-19-2016, 01:28 PM
The head ER nurse at a local hospital told me they call the folks that ride motorcycles and don't wear a helmet "bug eating kidney donors".

Brogers57
05-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Thought about a half helm with shield? I use it for protection of some sort and also I'm able to hear the radio. It's better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
05-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Is it?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130529&stc=1

Check where most of the hits happen... :shocked:

But as I've said before:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130530&stc=1

WA5VHU
05-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Thought about a half helm with shield? I use it for protection of some sort and also I'm able to hear the radio. It's better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A half-helmet with shield is indeed protection of some sort.

Most shields are only wind deflectors and will easily come off in an accident.

Google "motorcycle half helmet injury" and select "Images" to see what sort of protection it will give you.

Sam Mac
05-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Your head and your choice. Me I use a Bell Star full coverage helmet along with all the gear.

SpyderWalter
05-20-2016, 07:27 AM
I'm the unfortunate soul who started this thread last season. I have a variety of helmets, including two fine Shoei toppers. I never ride without a helmet on two wheels but on some occasions enjoy the sensation of helmet free riding on three wheels. Yeah, I know I'm not perfectly safe in those cases, but I sure enjoy with care. One unexpected hazard last time I road helmet free in Connecticut, the closest helmet free state to me, was a mild sunburn on my bald pate. Oops. Forgot about that!

Incidentally, the day I first went helmet free, there was an accident on the Taconic Parkway near NYC where I live. A SUV northbound lost control, went airborne on the median, flipped over and landed upside down on a sedan traveling southbound, killing the driver of the SUV and the entire family in the sedan. No helmet would help that. I'm not trying to say one should be careless. When my time comes it will come. I'll be sad to go, but I've had a great time in this life including the use of a terrific Can-Am Spyder RT SE-6. Freedom machine.

One more thing. I read somewhere that each serving of bacon I consume shortens my life by one day. All things considered, I will take that deal. One serving of bacon is worth one less day on this good earth. That is how good bacon is. You'll have to excuse me, I'm getting hungry and need to go and find some bacon!
SpyderWalter AKA ThreeWheeler

3-togo
05-20-2016, 08:55 PM
You're just looking at one side of the coin. The real problem is that people want the government to take care of them. Food Stamps, Government Housing, Social Security, Medicare, School Meal Programs, Minimum Wage, Subsidies of all kinds, College Loans, Business Loans, O'Bama Phones. The Give-A-Way list is endless and some politicians are working as hard as they can to add more items.

For instance. If you smack your head on the pavement and you can't afford treatment, what happens anyway? That's right, you get treated. Who pays the bill? The government, (which is you and me, the tax payer).

So, if the government is going to be on the hook for the consequences of your choice of safety gear (or lack thereof), then you have given them the right to tell you to wear a helmet.

Hello Ron,
By the way, I had squared away install your bar and adjusters. Makes a would of difference when riding two up. However, I must take exception to your comments on Social Security. I paid in to SS fund for years and so did my employers. If we left all the money in the SS fund instead of allowing government to use for other purposes, the people would not need to worry about further financing to keep fund solvent. What I would dearly love for you and others would be check the facts. You are 100% correct who pays for irresponsible people without helmets with inadequate insurance. Furthermore, my wife who is a retired RN,was appalled by the cost of people who use emergency rooms because of no insurance. Also,please check what the sagebrush bandits would like to do with our public lands. The thought of Donald Trump developing more land at our expense is nauseating. So have a good day. The world is hardly black and white.
Pete

Synthetic
05-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Amen

Ryde safe everyone how ever you do it but the most important thing is to have Jesus in your heart first. Then whatever may happen, you are covered. :pray:

BajaRon
05-20-2016, 11:40 PM
Hello Ron,
By the way, I had squared away install your bar and adjusters. Makes a would of difference when riding two up. However, I must take exception to your comments on Social Security. I paid in to SS fund for years and so did my employers. If we left all the money in the SS fund instead of allowing government to use for other purposes, the people would not need to worry about further financing to keep fund solvent. What I would dearly love for you and others would be check the facts. You are 100% correct who pays for irresponsible people without helmets with inadequate insurance. Furthermore, my wife who is a retired RN,was appalled by the cost of people who use emergency rooms because of no insurance. Also,please check what the sagebrush bandits would like to do with our public lands. The thought of Donald Trump developing more land at our expense is nauseating. So have a good day. The world is hardly black and white.
Pete

This really isn't the best place to discuss this. But my point about SS is that it is forced upon us by government. It is a Ponzi scheme that if any of us attempted it we would find ourselves in prison post haste. The government wastes the money we send and is constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul to cover their commitments. It's a bad system and a bad idea.

Most people take out many times what they paid in, which compounds the problem. Like any Ponzi scheme, it can't last. Someone is going to get caught holding an empty bag. Government should NOT be in the finance business. The only reason they haven't failed yet is because they can print money. Every time the government prints a dollar. The dollar you have in your wallet loses value.

I try to check my facts. But if you find an error I'm more than happy to hear about it. There is only 1 who is perfect. And I am not HIM! :ohyea:

I believe the world is much more black and white than most people would like to admit. But that's just one man's opinion.

PS: Very glad you're happy with my products. I just love stuff that actually works! :thumbup:

BajaRon
05-20-2016, 11:45 PM
I'm the unfortunate soul who started this thread last season. I have a variety of helmets, including two fine Shoei toppers. I never ride without a helmet on two wheels but on some occasions enjoy the sensation of helmet free riding on three wheels. Yeah, I know I'm not perfectly safe in those cases, but I sure enjoy with care. One unexpected hazard last time I road helmet free in Connecticut, the closest helmet free state to me, was a mild sunburn on my bald pate. Oops. Forgot about that!

Incidentally, the day I first went helmet free, there was an accident on the Taconic Parkway near NYC where I live. A SUV northbound lost control, went airborne on the median, flipped over and landed upside down on a sedan traveling southbound, killing the driver of the SUV and the entire family in the sedan. No helmet would help that. I'm not trying to say one should be careless. When my time comes it will come. I'll be sad to go, but I've had a great time in this life including the use of a terrific Can-Am Spyder RT SE-6. Freedom machine.

One more thing. I read somewhere that each serving of bacon I consume shortens my life by one day. All things considered, I will take that deal. One serving of bacon is worth one less day on this good earth. That is how good bacon is. You'll have to excuse me, I'm getting hungry and need to go and find some bacon!
SpyderWalter AKA ThreeWheeler

No reason to make any apologies (if that is what you intended). This is a good subject to discuss. Better than discussing it in the ER for sure! It never hurts to remind each other of the realities of our choices. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-21-2016, 06:57 AM
:agree: No matter what your opinion is about this important subject: it's always good to be able to keep the communication lines open.

Besides: would you rather talk about tires again? :yikes: