PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Smoak Oil Change Video

Trbayth
08-16-2015, 09:32 AM
https://youtu.be/ZPeb1YqV4Gw

Shawn did a video on changing the oil on the 2015 RTS. Towards the end he gets on a rant about how you should never use anything but genuine BRP XPS Summer Blend oil.

Not trying to reignite the oil wars here, just passing on some information since a number of people here are partial to Amsoil or Rotella.

SpyderAnn01
08-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Shawn is a mechanic for a BRP dealer so he generally sings the company song.

robtdonna
08-16-2015, 09:40 AM

:agree:

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 09:41 AM

What dealership does he work at? The guy seems to really know his stuff. May be worth a trip.

Pam

Trbayth
08-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Understood. But what I found more interesting were his reasons why XPS was so much better. He threw out numbers I hadn't seen quoted in any of the 100's of oil posts here over the years.

Chupaca
08-16-2015, 09:51 AM
nice video showing the oil change process on the 1330. Don't know how hard it is to remove the bottom panels on the RT but like to remove them and ckean out the road debris and stuff while doing the oil change. RS is proabably a whole lot easier but don't have to worry about those after oil change drips that do occur...:2thumbs:

finless
08-16-2015, 10:10 AM
What dealership does he work at? The guy seems to really know his stuff. May be worth a trip.

Pam

Pro Caliber up in Washington.

Bob

nakerr
08-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Pro Caliber up in Washington.

Bob

I think that he moved from the Vancouver, WA location to the Portland store.

finless
08-16-2015, 10:53 AM
FYI that 36mm socket for the oil filter is the same size you need for the rear axel!
I have one.

You can get them cheap if you shop around (got it on Ebay for like $13). Same socket needed for the fan nut on a Ford or Chevy as I recall when I was looking for one.

Bob

finless
08-16-2015, 10:54 AM
I think that he moved from the Vancouver, WA location to the Portland store.

His personal Web Site says Longview Washington.

http://www.spydertechnician.com/

Bob

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 11:12 AM
This is the first bike I've ever owned on which I have to remove the mirrors just to do an oil change :banghead:

Pam

Trbayth
08-16-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm convinced you can't work on any vehicle without cursing a few times. It's required.

Bob Denman
08-16-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm convinced you can't work on any vehicle without cursing a few times. It's required.

Thanks for the video! :clap:
I'm one of those who has to see it, in order to understand it! :opps:
I have a "special" drawer in my toolbox where I keep my left-handed metric cusswords... :D

cuznjohn
08-16-2015, 12:27 PM
what i like about him is that he takes the time to explain everything he is doing.

JayBros
08-16-2015, 01:09 PM
I was most impressed with his two step tapping process to remove the mirror. Once you've seen him do it, it makes perfect sense. A perfect day; learned something new!

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 01:49 PM
It's a very good video, and he is a good teacher. I've been watching as many of these as I can so that I can become proficient at wrenching my own :spyder2:

Pam

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Shawn makes mention of the O rings that are needed, but didn't specify exactly what they are.

I had made the mistake awhile back of going to the parts department one of the local Spyder dealers and asking to purchase the oil change kit. He didn't have any in stock, but said he could individually sell me everything I need for an oil change for less money. What I ended up with was 5 quarts of oil and an oil filter. No O rings, and no crush washer for the drain plug.

Can someone tell me what all I need to go purchase in addition to the oil and the filter that I already have?

The saga of the incompetent dealers in the Phoenix area goes on :banghead:

SpyderAnn01
08-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Shawn makes mention of the O rings that are needed, but didn't specify exactly what they are.

I had made the mistake awhile back of going to the parts department one of the local Spyder dealers and asking to purchase the oil change kit. He didn't have any in stock, but said he could individually sell me everything I need for an oil change for less money. What I ended up with was 5 quarts of oil and an oil filter. No O rings, and no crush washer for the drain plug.

Can someone tell me what all I need to go purchase in addition to the oil and the filter that I already have?

The saga of the incompetent dealers in the Phoenix area goes on :banghead:

There are 5 or 7 o rings and 2 crush washers on the 14 RT. BajaRon sells the kit.

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 02:49 PM
There are 5 or 7 o rings and 2 crush washers on the 14 RT. BajaRon sells the kit.

Thanks, I'll ask Ron if he'll sell me the kit minus the filter and oil.

Pam

DJFaninTN
08-16-2015, 03:23 PM
i think what he is saying is ... as far as blends go, your better choice is BRP Summer Blend. never really talked about full synthetic

sidecars
08-16-2015, 06:18 PM
I just bought my Spyder at Pro Caliber Vancouver (WA) a few weeks ago. Met Shawn while I was there, letting him know I bought the Spyder there, more than three hours from my house, because of him. He is not in Portland.

Tango
08-16-2015, 09:58 PM
So, BRP XPS is 70% Synthetic. Who'd have thought. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 10:02 PM
I just bought my Spyder at Pro Caliber Vancouver (WA) a few weeks ago. Met Shawn while I was there, letting him know I bought the Spyder there, more than three hours from my house, because of him. He is not in Portland.

Portland / Vancouver..... what's the difference? They're right across the river from each other, just in a different state.:dontknow:

(Well, except there's no sales tax in Oregon :clap:)

Pam

Whitelightning
08-17-2015, 03:49 AM
Pro Caliber Moved their entire Spyder sales and service to the Vancouver Store (Closer to the Portland Metro). I must say Shawn is and Excellent Tech. Worth the drive.

billybovine
08-17-2015, 08:13 AM
So, BRP XPS is 70% Synthetic. Who'd have thought. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

According to an email I got from XPS Lubricants. Their blended oil is approximately 95% synthetic.

MikeT
08-17-2015, 09:29 AM
According to an email I got from WPS Lubricants. Their blended oil is approximately 95% synthetic.
70%, 95%. The question is why not use 100% synthetic????You can choose which brand(XPS, Amsoil, Spectro, Bel-Ray, Redline, Mobil1 4T, RotellaT6, Castrol RS4T, Valvoline 4T)

Pampurrs
08-18-2015, 02:45 PM
I posted this question on Shawn's YouTube video, but haven't gotten an answer......

In the video, he first loosens a drain plug on the left side and the oil begins to seep out. Then he goes over to the right side and does the same thing. I have never had a motorcycle with two oil drain plugs. Is this for real? :yikes:

Pam

Highwayman2013
08-18-2015, 03:12 PM
I've got two drain plugs on my 2010 Vulcan and two on my 2012 RT.

JayBros
08-18-2015, 03:13 PM

Here are the parts one needs for a 1330 ACE engine oil change. Ron's prices for the filter, O-rings and washers are a great bargain compared to BRP.
Oil Filter - BRP #420956743 - $15.99
• Large Oil filter O-Ring - BRP #420850482 - $9.99
• Small Oil filter O-Ring - BRP #420950812 - $9.99
• Small Oil filter O-Ring - BRP #420650927 - $9.99
• Engine Gasket Ring - BRP #420430623 - $1.49
• Engine O-Ring - BRP #420250460 - $5.99
• Engine O-Ring - BRP #420430115 - $5.99
• Copper Washer for Gearbox Drain Plug - BRP #420250640 - $0.99
Total Cost of Parts - $60.42 + Cost of Oil

FWIW, the threads on the oil sump drain plug, the one with two O-rings and aluminum washer, are very sharp. In addition to putting on the O-ring closest to the threads first as Shawn recommends I wrap the threads with painters tape to protect the rings while rolling them on.

Also FWIW, the parts are found on the Engine Lubrication and Clutch Cover pages at the parts manual web site: http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.aspx?s1=pm497on0qgm7566vl0i7v3cdl0&catalog_id=0&language_id=1&siteid=1. Just drill down until you get to your Spyder.

ulflyer
08-18-2015, 03:47 PM
I posted this question on Shawn's YouTube video, but haven't gotten an answer......

In the video, he first loosens a drain plug on the left side and the oil begins to seep out. Then he goes over to the right side and does the same thing. I have never had a motorcycle with two oil drain plugs. Is this for real? :yikes:

Pam

Pam, right side plug is the gear box, left side is the motor.

I do all my oil/filter changes but that left side, with its O rings doesn't just easily unscrew and drop out; its a long plug and begins to drain almost as soon as you loosen it and by the time I get the plug out I've got oil all over my hands, and often on the floor. I do wear rubber gloves and have vinyl flooring in my shed so wiping up excess oil in not too much trouble. I have now installed Dimple plugs which will give a better surface for removing by hand, once the plug is loosened.

Right side unscrews quicker so I let it drop in the pan. Not quite as messy.

Pampurrs
08-18-2015, 04:04 PM

I do all my oil/filter changes but that left side, with its O rings doesn't just easily unscrew and drop out; its a long plug and begins to drain almost as soon as you loosen it and by the time I get the plug out I've got oil all over my hands, and often on the floor. I do wear rubber gloves and have vinyl flooring in my shed so wiping up excess oil in not too much trouble. I have now installed Dimple plugs which will give a better surface for removing by hand, once the plug is loosened.

Right side unscrews quicker so I let it drop in the pan. Not quite as messy.

Gear box, as in tranny?

I have a SE6, does that make a difference?

Thanks

Pam

finless
08-18-2015, 04:32 PM

I am not sure that is correct but I have a 998. One plug is the engine (and tranny) drain and the other is the oil tank (sump)?

Bob

Doc - Riverside
08-18-2015, 04:54 PM
I am not sure that is correct but I have a 998. One plug is the engine (and tranny) drain and the other is the oil tank (sump)?

Bob

He is correct. 1330 engine doesn't have a oil tank external to the engine like the 998 does.

Pampurrs
08-18-2015, 04:55 PM
He is correct. 1330 engine doesn't have a oil tank external to the engine like the 998 does.

So you are saying that I have to drain both sides? Both plugs on every oil change?

Thanks

Pam

Doc - Riverside
08-18-2015, 05:27 PM
So you are saying that I have to drain both sides? Both plugs on every oil change?

Thanks

Pam

That would be a YES. Engine and transmission share the same oil.

Pampurrs
08-18-2015, 05:31 PM
That would be a YES. Engine and transmission share the same oil.

Pam

finless
08-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Good to know! Thanks.

Bob