PDA

View Full Version : New Backrest Option

SSG Bean
01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
While wasting more time on ebay today, I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&item=120361428268&viewitem=

Looks like a great alternative for people like me that don't want to add the BRP luggage rack and mess up the looks of the stock rear end. I want to add the center tail light from NMN, but also wanted a backrest for my wife. I guess this makes both possible. Looks like I'll have to shell out more money for the Spyder!

SpyderRider2492
01-11-2009, 12:59 PM
$429.00 dollars, they must be joking...............:yikes:

jetskier
01-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Not only is it too expensive, it's ugly and looks badly made. Be careful you don't buy something that will break apart after a few hard accelerations, or worse hurt you in an accident.

brutus450
01-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I went with the BRP backrest. I got it 20% off on a sale but it was expensive. The one you list looks flimsey to me. I didnt really want to change the orignal look of the tail and didnt like the look at first but after staring at it for 2 weeks I now like it better than it was with the stock tail peice.:clap: Anyone want to buy a red stock tail peice?

Latemarch
01-11-2009, 01:51 PM
What needs to be built is a backrest that folds forward and is an instant monocover that covers the second seat......just an idea ;)

bjt
01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
What needs to be built is a backrest that folds forward and is an instant monocover that covers the second seat......just an idea ;)

That would be slick. :thumbup:

Spydr in KS
01-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Not only is it too expensive, it's ugly and looks badly made. Be careful you don't buy something that will break apart after a few hard accelerations, or worse hurt you in an accident.

Strength depends on the hardware they use. I am waiting for the first real world report by someone. Have to agree the price seems rather high.

BRPjunkie
01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
As I noted in the other thread on this item, it is cheaper than the BRP backrest, but it looks like it hits the passenger lower on the back, has no curve and can't be adjusted forward and backward. Granted the BRP adjustment is only 2 inches, but that can make a difference for a passenger.

brutus450
01-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Strength depends on the hardware they use.

I'd have to say by the looks off those skinney posts holding the rest, they better be made from titanium before I would trust them.:yikes:

brutus450
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
to each is own.....I guess I just get paraniod about things breaking:D

zzneonzz
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
My concern would be that to remove it you just do a quick upwards pull. To me that means its not seated very firmly.

Latemarch
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
My concern would be that to remove it you just do a quick upwards pull. To me that means its not seated very firmly.

Frankly it looks like a headrest from a car and might even have the notches on the bar that locks a headrest at a particular height.....who knows :dontknow:

SSG Bean
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Frankly it looks like a headrest from a car and might even have the notches on the bar that locks a headrest at a particular height.....who knows :dontknow:

That's what I thought. I didn't think the system looked that bad, but I appreciate all the opinions. :chat:

StSpyder09
01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
My dealer (future tense), suggests that I opt for a Corbin package with two back rests. He says it would be a much better purchase than the BRP back rest because of the need to purchase the sport rack in conjunction with the back rest. What do you guys think? Does anyone Ryde with two back rests when Ryding two-up? Viv hates bouncing in the car so I'll need to secure her until she can work on that grip:D

:nopic:

Jeff in Dallas
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I like the looks of that much better than the BRP option. Looks much more integrated into the Spyder. Also look like it might actually be comfortable. If it secures properly, could be a good option.

tatt2r
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
:rolleyes::barf:
the spyder logo on back rest looks like an ant.. who does there art work ????

GI Jane
01-12-2009, 07:19 AM
I purchased the Corbin package with the two backrests. IMO it's very comfortable for the passenger. I rode as a passenger with my son driving just to see what it felt like; very pleased. Little pricey but I think it's worth it.

LDFIREWORKS
01-13-2009, 03:30 PM
:agree: i have the same set-up and like it alot

Oklahoma Spyder
01-13-2009, 05:42 PM
My dealer (future tense), suggests that I opt for a Corbin package with two back rests. He says it would be a much better purchase than the BRP back rest because of the need to purchase the sport rack in conjunction with the back rest. What do you guys think? Does anyone Ryde with two back rests when Ryding two-up? Viv hates bouncing in the car so I'll need to secure her until she can work on that grip:D

:nopic:
I have the corbin and leave both back rests up all the time. Driver and ryder all like it and the seat adds two hours to my but time.

John in PA
01-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Seems to me BMW had an arrangement like that for their
R1200C Cruiser(??), a butt-stop for the driver that folded up and backward to become a backrest for a passenger.