PDA

View Full Version : Hooking the Spyder up with some tunes...

SpyderGirl
01-11-2009, 02:00 AM
I am looking at the UNiQ low-profile speaker system to install on my :spyder:for our long cross-country trip from Cali to Indy and back. As far as I can tell there isn't a whole lot of room to mount clamps for the speakers on the clutch side. Has anyone had any luck mounting speakers on their handlebars of their Spyder? The hubby is considering getting the 3" NMN risers also, would that help or hurt the issue any? Any input would be helpful.

zzneonzz
01-11-2009, 03:59 AM
I am looking at the UNiQ low-profile speaker system to install on my :spyder:for our long cross-country trip from Cali to Indy and back. As far as I can tell there isn't a whole lot of room to mount clamps for the speakers on the clutch side. Has anyone had any luck mounting speakers on their handlebars of their Spyder? The hubby is considering getting the 3" NMN risers also, would that help or hurt the issue any? Any input would be helpful.

I went with Ipod and Bluetooth installed in helmet since I couldn't find a place i would like to mount speakers.

sleepman
01-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Here's one option.

http://www.motorcyclespeakers.net/shop/stereo-motorcycle-speakers-aw-102-prd1.htm

SpyderGirl
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Well I picked myself up a UNiQ Cycle sound system for $200 (couldn't pass up a good deal). So I am going to have to make it work for me. Might have to do some modding to make them fit. I'll post pictures once I get them installed. The helmet speaker system type set-up really wouldn't work as the hubby and I use a BlueAnt bluetooth intercom system which we really love.

I am still looking for input on what to do to make this all work, so keep posting your ideas.

:chat:

jimcrom
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I purchased the DWG waterproof 100 watt speakers and installed them on Sat. The amplifier is in the trunk on the opposite side from the tool bag. The speakers were mounted on the handle bars on either side of the center pipe on the plastic flange's. I finally got smart and put a fanny pack on the handle bars so that I have a place for the MP3 player. The sound has been adequate, they are not 901's but at least I have tunes and since the speakers were 50% off at $99 it is worth the price.

Here's one option.

http://www.motorcyclespeakers.net/shop/stereo-motorcycle-speakers-aw-102-prd1.htm

StSpyder09
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I went with Ipod and Bluetooth installed in helmet since I couldn't find a place i would like to mount speakers.

Hey zzneonzz,

What helmet, and how does that work? Is it actually attached to your helmet inside or wrapped around your ears?

NancysToy
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
We went the wired route on both road cycles. Starcom1 comm systems (suitable for intercom or bike-to-bike) and helmet speakers and mics. I ran the Starcom1 on the Spyder to a jack under the seat, which is then easily hooked to the helmet connector with a coiled extension cord. The mp3 player goes into the trunk. Music as we cruise, which mutes upon intercom or radio use. This system has worked well for us for a number of years. The wires to the helmet are really not a bother in any way.
-Scotty

effgjamis
01-12-2009, 01:44 AM
We went the wired route on both road cycles. Starcom1 comm systems (suitable for intercom or bike-to-bike) and helmet speakers and mics. I ran the Starcom1 on the Spyder to a jack under the seat, which is then easily hooked to the helmet connector with a coiled extension cord. The mp3 player goes into the trunk. Music as we cruise, which mutes upon intercom or radio use. This system has worked well for us for a number of years. The wires to the helmet are really not a bother in any way.
-Scotty

Can you hook up with either the full face or half helmet?
thanks.

NancysToy
01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Can you hook up with either the full face or half helmet?
thanks.
You can use an open helmet or a full face, but I am not sure about a half helmet. You need someplace to attach the ear speakers and mic boom. Details at http://www.starcom1.com/. Other manufacturers like Autocom and J&M offer similar intercoms. I'd be surprised if any fit half helmets, though. I urge you to consider full face helmets for your protection.
-Scotty

patches
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I went with the Scala Q2 duals. This uses bluetooth and has the headphones mounted in the helmets regardless what type of helmet you use. The battery lasted during a 10 hour trip so far but that was about it. It also has a radio and a connection if you don't have an mp3 player that does bluetooth like an ipod.

SpyderGirl
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
We tried the AutoCom system and could never get it to work right. It was overly complicated. I'll let you guys know how the speaker install goes. Should have them by this weekend.

GeminiJane
01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Love my Autocom system but it's like magic 'cause my husband sorts out all the "technical" stuff. I just know my GPS lady talks to me, MP3/shuffle work, bike to bike radios work and I can order stuff on my cell phone if I want while I ride!:doorag:
He wires my tank bag and then everything else just tucks neatly into it with only the cord for my helmet speakers and GPS coming out. Sometimes I'll put the shuffle in the map holder on the tank bag so I can start/stop and adjust volume so then it's little cord snakes out the side of the bag, too. Works great!
Only drawback for me is that I wear a lot of different helmets and the speakers for each them gets to be a bit of an expense but guess my husband thinks I'm worth it, 'cause he's always up for another install:thumbup:.

MetroAsian
01-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Hi SpyderGirl....congrats with going forward with the stereo speakers. I will try to post pics of my spyder of where I mounted my speakers tommorow. I owe another guy pics of my clean install :)

Also recently purchased a clifford alarm system with 2-way paging that also includes a proximity sensor and shock sensor. It will tell me what's up with my spyder for up to 2 miles unobstructed.

Those hood rich ghetto peeps in Oakland who jump on my bike while I'm grocery shopping and tell me it's their bike when I return really piss me off. Now they don't even come close to my bike and run away like little girls :)

aka1004
01-30-2009, 05:56 AM
my set up with $100 set from DWG and iphone