PDA

View Full Version : How well do the Spyders take to paint?

Dubliner
08-14-2015, 01:00 AM
I am considering a 2008 Spyder RS dressed in black and silver with some useful goodies but the original plastic might look better in red and black!
How well does the plastic accept paint? Any preferred flavours, water based Krylon perhaps?

loisk
08-14-2015, 01:19 AM
Don't know about paint, but someone on spyderlovers was selling some red panels - just swap them out for the silver ones and bob's your uncle. Just a thought...

Chupaca
08-14-2015, 01:50 AM
How good is your painter. :hun: now-a-days the paints are formulated to work on plastics. Look how much plasti in in your cars. Good painter can make that 08 pop in a red and black..pictures will be needed for proof...:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
08-14-2015, 07:04 AM
:agree: The right person handling the gun, will make ALL of the difference! :thumbup:
And we WILL need pictures! :D
Good Luck!

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-14-2015, 07:33 AM
This can be tricky..........The paint used by BRP is water-based, which doesn't mean you must also use water-based paint. But I advise you to check compatibility by first test spraying something with a petroleum based PRIMER to check the adhesion.......or seek the advice of a competent auto painter................I painted the Dash Surrounds of Dee's and my RT's with excellent results. The paint I used was for METAL .....I was painting PLASTIC so I used a plastic primer first.......some others here also tried this but forgot to PRIME first and the Paint " crazed " during the drying process. ........., Mike :thumbup: