PDA

View Full Version : Riding with arthritis

spyderjo333
08-13-2015, 07:53 AM
I am in my 50s and have arthritis. I have carpal tunnel and I've had 3 surgeries. So far, this hasn't been an issue with my hands because they
are held straight when I ride as a passenger. I don't drive the bike. I have noticed achy knees and had my husband move the foot rests. It has helped some.
I have arthritis in my toes and doubt that much can be done to the bike or me to change that. My question is how do you deal with it if you have those or other
issues? Thanks. We will be doing an overnight trip soon so I will be on the bike for several hours.

PrairieSpyder
08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
I am in my 50s and have arthritis. I have carpal tunnel and I've had 3 surgeries. So far, this hasn't been an issue with my hands because they
are held straight when I ride as a passenger. I don't drive the bike. I have noticed achy knees and had my husband move the foot rests. It has helped some.
I have arthritis in my toes and doubt that much can be done to the bike or me to change that. My question is how do you deal with it if you have those or other
issues? Thanks. We will be doing an overnight trip soon so I will be on the bike for several hours.

What has your doctor said about how to deal with it? (Not being sarcastic, just wanting to know.) If he said to flex your joints frequently you can do that while riding. Do ankle exercises, flex/release your toes if your shoes permit room, same with fingers, etc.

I think I'm getting some arthritis in my fingers and find it helps to use my cruise control and flex my fingers frequently.

spydaman60
08-13-2015, 08:41 AM
are you a passenger on an rs, rt or f3? do you have floor boards? these details might help some of us help you!

Mick N
08-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Sorry to hear of your aches and aggravations.

I'll be 69 in a few days and have arthritis in my hands, feet, shoulders, and some new places this year, as well as D.I.S.H... I'll save you time in wondering what that is... Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH, also known as Forestier's disease, senile ankylosing spondylosis, and ankylosing hyperostosis) is a non-inflammatory spondyloarthropathy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondyloarthropathy) of the spine. It is characterized by spiny ankylosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosis) and enthesopathy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthesopathy) (ossification of the ligaments and entheses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheses)). It most commonly affects the thoracic and thoraco-lumbar spine, but involvement is variable and can include the entire spine.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_idiopathic_skeletal_hyperostosis#cite_note-:0-1) The disc spaces, facet and sacroiliac joints remain unaffected. Diagnosis requires confluent ossification of at least 4 contiguous vertebral bodies.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_idiopathic_skeletal_hyperostosis#cite_note-:0-1) Classically, advanced disease may have "melted candle wax" appearance along the spine on radiographic studies.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_idiopathic_skeletal_hyperostosis#cite_note-2)

I usually tell people that I'm getting a rigid frame, can't easily do simple things like bending over to pick up things, put on my shoes, etc. Not complaining, just trying help you relate.

You can ride more comfortably, but it may take some trial and error, and money, to find out how. I ride a 2012 RT... I replaced the following with all Can-Am parts: seat - gave me another few inches of wiggle room; handlebars - adjustable handlebars, gives me some options for arm position; front footpegs - front floorboards - gives me room to move my feet to different positions. And a non-Can-Am strap-on air cushion.

All contribute to my overall degree of comfort, but none are the solution. I still start squirming on the seat/floorboards after an hour+ into a ride, but did manage a two hour ride earlier this summer. But I was squirming a lot by the end of the ride. Far cry from the days of riding straight through to Daytona on two wheels.

But, I'm still riding. Year round. And I will continue until when... Some ride is better than no ride.

Talk to other riders for ideas, see what worked for them... that might work for you. Dress for comfort as well as function.

Be prepared to spend time, and some money, to find out works for you. I'm kind of stubborn and don't take any aspirin, etc... but as a co-rider, a few aspirin may help your discomfort tolerance ;>)

Ride safe and enjoy.

MikeT
08-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Coming for H-D motorcycles and GoldWing trikes, I'm surprised that a Kuryakn style Transformer floor board hasn't been made for the Spyder passenger floor boards. The ability for my wife to change her foot position during the ride was an enormous help to her. When we would head out on a long trip she would take her PTC pain reliever of choice to help too. At our age, we make it a point to get off the bike/trike every couple of hours just to stretch/flex and empty our bladders.

ARtraveler
08-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Some suggestions from someone who has to deal with severe pain issues and riding sometimes.

Floorboards do help to make it easier to adjust your foot position. If you have an RT this should be no problem for you as a passenger.

I have two seat pads which can be used separately or in combination if I need to get a stretch on my legs to change position. Sheepskin/gel pad and a Airhawk pad. This give me three different riding positions as well as the ability to move the legs and hip joints.

On bad days, I need to take a rest every 40 to 50 miles. Getting off the seat and stretching the legs helps.

I am not ready to give up riding yet, so my arsenal of helps is with me all the time.

spyderjo333
08-13-2015, 02:05 PM
are you a passenger on an rs, rt or f3? do you have floor boards? these details might help some of us help you! I am a passenger on a RT and up until we bought it almost 3 months ago I had never even sat on a motorcycle of any kind!

spyderjo333
08-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Some suggestions from someone who has to deal with severe pain issues and riding sometimes.

Floorboards do help to make it easier to adjust your foot position. If you have an RT this should be no problem for you as a passenger.

I have two seat pads which can be used separately or in combination if I need to get a stretch on my legs to change position. Sheepskin/gel pad and a Airhawk pad. This give me three different riding positions as well as the ability to move the legs and hip joints.

On bad days, I need to take a rest every 40 to 50 miles. Getting off the seat and stretching the legs helps.

I am not ready to give up riding yet, so my arsenal of helps is with me all the time.

Thanks for input. I had my second child almost 29 years ago and when I had the epidural they hit the sciatic nerve. I haven't had any pain until today on that side, had a cramp. We
got to a red light so I readjusted my sitting position which seamed to help. I had minor pain a couple of weeks ago on the left sciatic nerve and I hadn't felt that since my daughter was about 2 or 3.

spyderjo333
08-13-2015, 02:12 PM
What has your doctor said about how to deal with it? (Not being sarcastic, just wanting to know.) If he said to flex your joints frequently you can do that while riding. Do ankle exercises, flex/release your toes if your shoes permit room, same with fingers, etc.

I think I'm getting some arthritis in my fingers and find it helps to use my cruise control and flex my fingers frequently.

My doctor is great, but he is moving so we have to find another one. He has discussed all my issues: carpal tunnel, Achilles tendonitis (which started up for the first time summer 2014)
and as far as the foot tendons go he did say to stretch them. I have been on Naporsyn (naproxen) for over 15 years for the carpal tunnel. I do flex my feet and point them during a ride.
I guess getting off and moving around helps. My question to you and any of you reading this, how often do you get off for a break and how long of a break do you take? We will be
taking an overnight trip soon and it will be over 300 miles long. Hubby seams to think we can do it in one day.

spyderjo333
08-13-2015, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=Mick N;1021345]Sorry to hear of your aches and aggravations.

I'll be 69 in a few days and have arthritis in my hands, feet, shoulders, and some new places this year, as well as D.I.S.H... I'll save you time in wondering what that is... Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH, also known as Forestier's disease, senile ankylosing spondylosis, and ankylosing hyperostosis) is a non-inflammatory spondyloarthropathy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondyloarthropathy) of the spine. It is characterized by spiny ankylosis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosis) and enthesopathy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthesopathy) (ossification of the ligaments and entheses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheses)). It most commonly affects the thoracic and thoraco-lumbar spine, but involvement is variable and can include the entire spine.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_idiopathic_skeletal_hyperostosis#cite_note-:0-1) The disc spaces, facet and sacroiliac joints remain unaffected. Diagnosis requires confluent ossification of at least 4 contiguous vertebral bodies.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_idiopathic_skeletal_hyperostosis#cite_note-:0-1) Classically, advanced disease may have "melted candle wax" appearance along the spine on radiographic studies.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_idiopathic_skeletal_hyperostosis#cite_note-2)

I usually tell people that I'm getting a rigid frame, can't easily do simple things like bending over to pick up things, put on my shoes, etc. Not complaining, just trying help you relate.

You can ride more comfortably, but it may take some trial and error, and money, to find out how. I ride a 2012 RT... I replaced the following with all Can-Am parts: seat - gave me another few inches of wiggle room; handlebars - adjustable handlebars, gives me some options for arm position; front footpegs - front floorboards - gives me room to move my feet to different positions. And a non-Can-Am strap-on air cushion.

All contribute to my overall degree of comfort, but none are the solution. I still start squirming on the seat/floorboards after an hour+ into a ride, but did manage a two hour ride earlier this summer. But I was squirming a lot by the end of the ride. Far cry from the days of riding straight through to Daytona on two wheels.

But, I'm still riding. Year round. And I will continue until when... Some ride is better than no ride.

Talk to other riders for ideas, see what worked for them... that might work for you. Dress for comfort as well as function.

Be prepared to spend time, and some money, to find out works for you. I'm kind of stubborn and don't take any aspirin, etc... but as a co-rider, a few aspirin may help your discomfort tolerance ;>)

Ride safe and enjoy.[/QUO

Thanks for the info. I am a passenger on the RT. I had never been on a motorcycle before. We will have ours for 3 months in a couple of days. These are all ongoing problems, but now I have to apply my doctor's suggestions to the use of the bike.

MikeT
08-13-2015, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=spyderjo333;1021529 We will be taking an overnight trip soon and it will be over 300 miles long. Hubby seams to think we can do it in one day.[/QUOTE]
300 miles is very doable in one day. Even if you get off the bike every 100 miles for 10-15 minutes for a rest stop, and/or gas. may need to be adjusted due to weather conditions. We're going to go on a similar length trip in early Sept. Our usual freeway route is a mess, so we're going to go the scenic route.

ARtraveler
08-13-2015, 04:44 PM
My doctor is great, but he is moving so we have to find another one. He has discussed all my issues: carpal tunnel, Achilles tendonitis (which started up for the first time summer 2014)
and as far as the foot tendons go he did say to stretch them. I have been on Naporsyn (naproxen) for over 15 years for the carpal tunnel. I do flex my feet and point them during a ride.
I guess getting off and moving around helps. My question to you and any of you reading this, how often do you get off for a break and how long of a break do you take? We will be
taking an overnight trip soon and it will be over 300 miles long. Hubby seams to think we can do it in one day.

Three hundred miles in a day seems to be doable for you folks. My earlier suggestion of every 50 miles or so--or--stop and smell the roses as opportunity presents itself--and--gas every 100 miles or so. Peace of mind, pit stop, snackies. You should be good to go.

spyderjo333
08-13-2015, 06:20 PM
300 miles is very doable in one day. Even if you get off the bike every 100 miles for 10-15 minutes for a rest stop, and/or gas. may need to be adjusted due to weather conditions. We're going to go on a similar length trip in early Sept. Our usual freeway route is a mess, so we're going to go the scenic route.

Mike, my husband says he doesn't want to do all highway, but he doesn't want to take 3 days to get there either. I am still getting used to tractor trailers when they pass us when we
are going about 60-65 mph. I just hope we have a good trip. We are retired, so time isn't an issue. Thanks for the advice.

MikeT
08-13-2015, 08:09 PM
You're welcome. Usually the scenic/curvy road route only adds 1-2 hours to a trip. Mostly because you're not going 70-80 MPH. We're retired also .Hopeyouhave a good trip too.

Mike, my husband says he doesn't want to do all highway, but he doesn't want to take 3 days to get there either. I am still getting used to tractor trailers when they pass us when we
are going about 60-65 mph. I just hope we have a good trip. We are retired, so time isn't an issue. Thanks for the advice.

bmccaffrey
08-13-2015, 08:31 PM
ADVIL :thumbup:

loisk
08-13-2015, 09:24 PM
I know it's your summer there, but when cooler days or evenings arrive, I'd suggest heat - eg heated vest (I LOVE mine) and they even make heated insoles for your boots which may help - except on hot days I guess... haha. Whatever the weather I wear merino (wool) or bamboo socks (and boots of course) - lovely and soft and help my toes enormously.

spyderjo333
08-14-2015, 06:50 AM
[QUOTE=MikeT;1021368]Coming for H-D motorcycles and GoldWing trikes, I'm surprised that a Kuryakn style Transformer floor board hasn't been made for the Spyder passenger floor boards. The ability for my wife to change her foot position during the ride was an enormous help to her. When we would head out on a long trip she would take her PTC pain reliever of choice to help too. At our age, we make it a point to get off the bike/trike every couple of hours just to stretch/flex and empty our bladders.[/QUOTE

Mike, thanks for the input. I think we will probably stop every 45 minutes to 1 hour at the very least

spyderjo333
08-14-2015, 06:52 AM
ADVIL :thumbup:

bmc, I am on prescription naporsyn for carpal tunnel.

lesa
09-15-2015, 02:42 PM
issues? Thanks. We will be doing an overnight trip soon so I will be on the bike for several hours. have u tried curcumin for ur arthritis pain?--did wonders for me!

sandeejs
12-26-2015, 12:19 AM
My question to you and any of you reading this, how often do you get off for a break and how long of a break do you take? We will be
I take a lot of long trips, how often I stop depends on how I feel. Generally I have to stop for gas every 130 miles, so that's a convenient stopping time. It matches my bladder capacity, too!
To increase comfort and reduce pain and stiffening up, I have several different leg positions I use. (Sounds dirty, but I ride fully clothed.) I also march in place, kick out my legs, stand on the pegs sometimes, dance a bit etc. Since I usually ride solo, I have highway pegs, standard pegs and passenger pegs to move around on.
Have you tried or thought about having a second pair of boots & socks to change to midway thru the 300 mile ride? Perhaps the change will provide relief for your sore toes. Walking around at the gas stops helps me with stiffness, and I sometimes do some stretches on the way to the ladies room.

Hope you find some of the ideas in this thread useful and enjoy your big trip!

~Sandee`

Bob Denman
12-28-2015, 06:51 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121861&stc=1
Arthritis, carpal tunnel, AND diabetic neuropathy here...
Take some pills, and grit your way through it! :thumbup:
Don't EVER give up! nojoke

pegasus1300
12-28-2015, 08:46 PM
bmc, I am on prescription naporsyn for carpal tunnel.

Since you are already on something how is it working for you in your normal day to day activities? Does it give you any relief in your other arthritic areas. Have you asked your doctor about other medicinal options?

I deal with arthritis and diabetic neuropathy. I find Aleve works for me,2 every twelve hours. I also stop every 130 to 150 miles as that is fuel up time for my 2012. I don't know what year yours is or what motor but if you get better mileage then I do your tank may not need a stop at those mileages.I find if I ride longer then 2 /2.5 hours without a break I can't recover as soon as I would like to so any time I gained by pushing on I loose by having to take longer to be ready for the next leg. I would suggest that before you take your trip take several shot trips to see what works for you. Your husband needs to be wel aware of your limitations. I assume that you bought Spyder so you both could enjoy it, so ride it in such a fashion that you both do.

I have learned that I don't ride freeways with my wife,I find the backroads 2 or 4 lane where the speeds are lowe,r traffic lighter, and fewer on no 18 wheelers. I can do 300 to 400 miles a day that way and my wife is happy. I have also learned that sometimes it is better to trailer the Spyder to the main riding area,unload and then ride there.

The best advice here is move around alot,get options to change your position,Add padding to your seat( check out motorcycledave for gel pads you can add) add heated clothing. do anything you can to make yourself more comfortable and lengthen the time before it's time to move around.

Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling.There is a freedom and wealth of sensations that are not experienced in any other mode of travel. I've been riding 50+ years. My wife just since we got married 5 years ago,she never rode before and wrecked her 4 wheeler when she rode that.

Mick N
12-28-2015, 08:52 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121867&stc=1
NEVER SAY NO... JUST GO!

spyderjo333
02-01-2016, 08:16 AM
I now think I have peripheral neuropathy. I have swelling in my toes and still have pain in my fingertips. We've changed doctors because ours moved
to another city. I will have questions for my new doctor later this month. I'm still on naporsyn and probably will be for life. I am going out walking every day
which seems to help my feet a little. I'm starting to watch what I eat more so I hope that helps too. I'll let all of you know how it goes.

Mick N
02-01-2016, 10:55 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123515&stc=1

Have arthritis in several flavors in too many places... fingers, shoulders, neck, toes, knees and probably some lesser places... throw in gout in the feet just for fun, but my best buddy is Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH): a bony hardening (calcification) of ligaments in areas where they attach to your spine(mine is concentrated in my neck - makes turning my head side to side or bending it backwards very limited, and in my lower spine- can't bend over to pick things up... can get down on my hands and knees... but getting up by myself is most difficult, like to have something to grab onto to pull on/steady myself. I'm sure I amuse my wife (an RN, thank goodness!) sometimes when she watches my fun. Guess I could put a hoist in the garage for the day when I can't get a leg over the Spyder.... ;)

Until then I ride when I can for as long as I can... usually a 30 minute ride to the VFW, reward myself with a brew, and a 30 minute ride home. Once in a while. :sour:

Not bitchin'... just sharing. Do what you can do while you can do it and enjoy.

Deer Slayer
02-18-2016, 07:11 AM
I have hand pain at 72 years. Life long mechanics using my hands to force things in place. Duh! Now. Look it up on the net . Drunken Raisins. I take about ten or so every morning. :cheers:

spyderjo333
03-23-2016, 06:39 PM
Deer Slayer, not sure I can take that with my prescriptions.

TuckMiddle
03-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Well, I had to go to three wheels due to my right hip with "spastic" arthritis. Out of nowhere the darn thing will go balistic and my handy dandy right hand brake I paid $1400 for years ago from the great guys in Montgomery, saves the day!! Normally, i just have arthritis that hurts "everywhere" and use what ever my fellow rider and Pain Dr says is the best thing going that month. But at 78, life is good, just bend over a little to walk, use Voltaren gel in the big tube and press on. The hand brake is superb, but it took months of right hand exercises and thpusands of brake applications before i became reqally comfortable with it - it has a very long throw and they finally produced an adjustable lever that helps a lot. I had heated and bent some levers, probably not a good idea, but ya do what ya have to do sometimes! I ride with a bunch of HD guys still and seldom have a problen keeping up. I still ride my Helix locally and it is still superb, 3rd one I've had. Neck is a problem, but electric jacket liner does pretty well in cold wx, use a hoodie sometimes and most always a neck and head thingy, have 5 or 6 of varying weight. My back has been a problem, with 2 big ops and 2 small. The answer is a back rest with a recessed part in the middle so the "bump" where the welded stuff in my back ends and the top "original" vertebrae begin fits right in the recess. Ride all day and then have a problem with the chairs in restaurants all the time. Use heated everything when temp is low enough. I love the colder wx days here in the South, Mr Gerbing has done a heck of a service to our hobby with great stuff, as have several others. I do not wear the electric socks. only have one toe that curls up, but with ankle problems, I'll bet they would help.
Time to finish more Turbo Tax. Todays hint: "DON'T LOSE ANY 1099'S FROM THE MILITARY or SOCIAL SECURITY.
Tuck from N. GA with 2011 RTSM5 with 62,000. Runs better than ever, but I'm too sleepy to get into that :cheers:

View from behind
03-27-2016, 05:12 PM
I now think I have peripheral neuropathy. I have swelling in my toes and still have pain in my fingertips. We've changed doctors because ours moved
to another city. I will have questions for my new doctor later this month. I'm still on naporsyn and probably will be for life. I am going out walking every day
which seems to help my feet a little. I'm starting to watch what I eat more so I hope that helps too. I'll let all of you know how it goes.

Good luck with your new doctor, maybe he or she will have some new thoughts on what might help you enjoy your riding more.:ohyea:

ingramwc
03-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Spyderjo333, one of my Doctors prescribed MetaNX for my peripheral neuropathy, I had it in my feet, legs and hands. It is a vitamin compound specifically for healing the nerves in the extremities affected by neuropathy, it is only available by Rx. I have been taking it for several years and the pain and swelling are just about non existent. I will occasionally still get an electric shock feeling in a foot or leg, but this is not an everyday all the time issue. The feeling is mostly back in my hands and off and on in my feet. Oh, it will take maybe a month for the medicine to start showing results, could be sooner though.
Good luck.

spyderjo333
09-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Update on me. I saw my new doctor who prescribed Gabapentin for my PAD. I have had about 40-50% improvement in my feet. Sadly, my hands are the same.

TuckMiddle
09-08-2016, 02:59 PM
I have hand pain at 72 years. Life long mechanics using my hands to force things in place. Duh! Now. Look it up on the net . Drunken Raisins. I take about ten or so every morning. :cheers:

Tried the raisins in whatever they were marinated, no joy here. Arthritis wvweywhere, 2 big back ops. Ibuprofen, Voltaren Gel for the back, hips and neck and knees, shots once a month and ride like nothin hurts. Works pretty well for 250 0r 300 a day. My Utopia back rest has a dished out pad and my "universal joint" in the middle of the back fits in the indentation perfectly - it is a good 1/2 inch bump where the metal on the bottom meets the bone in the top of the back. Can't walf a lot or jog like I did for 40 years, but it works. Did the Rock City walking tour last Sat and it hurt, but nothin too bad. Experiment and see what works. I love to ride in the N. GA cool wx due to Mr Gerbing's jacket liner keeping the back warm and hurts a lot less than in summer. Yea, figure that one out. The heated grips keep the hands from hurting. A pair of those fishing gloves many like keeps my hand from cramping up in heavy rain, regardless of the temp, wind chill brings that on quickly.
i ride some with my pain DR, so far no shots enroute anywhere. He does understand the occasional unannounced stop for stretching and cursing. Have the hand brake kit due to right hip going ape now and then. Other than that minor stuff, almost everything is perfect. Big 80 looms as my next target, Lord willing. :bowdown: Don't forget to VOTE.

Tuck:cheers:

TicketBait
09-08-2016, 03:25 PM

I use to play a racquet sport for 6-8 hours a day. I kept making the grips larger so I would not have to squeeze as hard with my hands. Went to see the doctor and he said change sports.:(

That was when I was 35yrs old, No problem after giving up sport.

Then I became addicted to computer games and got carpel tunnel before that was a known ailment. Stopped playing games:(

Then I started playing a lot of xbox with the controller causing me arthritis in the hands again after hours of playing. The next morning when I would wake up, it was like my hands were painful to open up. I gave up playing :(

Then I watched a movie called "May I be Frank" 5 years ago, and it changed my life. Without going into all the details, I became vegetarian out of choice in eating healthier. I also drank 2 oz of wheat grass every morning. Then about 4 years ago I started playing Xbox and Xbox1 Call of duty games, I was addicted and afraid that the pain would come back, and guess what. It did not, checked with my doctor and he said that the red meat has acidic acid that worsens arthritis, So now I can play 1-2 hours a day without any problem. Hope this info helps, but for some they won't want to give up meat. For myself I don't miss it ,but still love the smell of barbecues.:bbq:

Buckeye Bleau
09-08-2016, 03:44 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121861&stc=1
Arthritis, carpal tunnel, AND diabetic neuropathy here...
Take some pills, and grit your way through it! :thumbup:
Don't EVER give up! nojoke

Bob, you never fail to amaze me with your imagination or entertain me with the same. You must drive your wife crazy.

Joe

Butterbutz
11-27-2016, 11:04 PM
:dg1:Hi everyone,
I am a brand new rider with scoliosis and arthritis. I have been on opiates for some years. We bought the RTL touring bike because my husband wanted me to be as comfortable as possible. ( I am a passenger) . So far,I have found the bike to be very comfortable! Surprisingly comfortable! We also have floorboards instead of pegs. I don't think I could stand to ride if I just had pegs. Have not been on a long trip yet but am excited to plan one. Just checking in here! Happy Trails!