PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a Stallion ?

skymed
08-13-2015, 07:16 AM
On a recent jaunt I saw one of theses in a local gas station. Never seen anything like it before, a bike/car/trike with a ford engine and a steering wheel. Very different, unique and HUGE. Not sure its my cuppa tea, but its definitely a head turner. I had my SPyder RT parked close by and I tell you not many people noticed it when they saw that beast.

http://www.motortrike.com/trikethoroughbredstallion.aspx

Steve

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113488&stc=1

scooterexpress
08-13-2015, 07:35 AM
yes I have I was in a car/motorcycle show and one of these came in theres no place to store anything on that so called trike owner said you have to have a trailer when traveling to me not worth it very high priced space odyssey looking bike has long front fork don't know how it handles in turns but i'm sure it can't do what the spyder can do.oh by the way I took second in the bike catergory the stallion didn't place at all.

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 07:43 AM
We saw one in Lake George, NY last year, at Americade. :thumbup: They ARE big... :shocked:

robtdonna
08-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Yes, there is one in Central Florida that I saw around, especially at Plant City Bikefest on Saturdays. Not my thing but interesting.

PrairieSpyder
08-13-2015, 08:17 AM
I saw one in Colorado last year. A lady driver and her husband was on an HD.

In my opinion, might as well drive a Miata! :dontknow:

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 08:33 AM
I believe that they've got Ford running gear underneath that tub... ;)

jtoro1
08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
That monster has aircondition not for me:roflblack:

MikeT
08-13-2015, 08:38 AM
The Stallion is made by MotorTrike. They also make a number of trike conversion kits for Gold Wings, H-Ds, and a few other MCs. This is a "from the ground up" trike. It is powered by an automotive 4-cylinder motor(Ford???) with an automatic tranny with other options available. My take on it is that it was a way for MotorTrike to differentiate themselves in the marketplace from the other trike kit manufacturers. As someone mentioned it is big. It's also difficult to get in and out of because of the high sides.

spydaman60
08-13-2015, 08:39 AM
there has been a bronze colored one at chatterbox "bike night" on thursdays lately! it is a tub bob d!!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 08:42 AM
I looked at them several years ago (something for the Missus...), but she caught wind of it, and shut down the process!
We have a MotorTrike Dealer about an hour from us...
You're right; she didn't want air-conditioning in an open-topped vehicle! :D

blacklightning
08-13-2015, 08:50 AM
I actually saw one last weekend. It has the same 2.3L that is in the ford Ranger pickup. It is definitely an attention getter. It is one of those things that I might would buy if I won a 100 million dollar lottery. Otherwise, I will pass.

bruiser
08-13-2015, 09:10 AM
I've seen two around here. One has a for sale sign on it. Bob, it does have a Ford drive train, just as the Slingshot has a GM drive train. Neither one is my cup of tea. I rather have...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQTySfrq4GPb-Q_hQE5PjvRfnGeOdoqzntp-crEdHNfidCXo55

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 09:15 AM
:agree: But minus the ugly impact-absorbing bumpers! :thumbup:

bruiser
08-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Yes. When I was in England, our Wing CO was a large man. We lovingly referred to him as "the elephant". He drove an MGB. We sometimes saw him driving on the flightline with his arm out the drivers window picking up FO (foreign objects). We always wondered how he fit himself in that MG. His was a '60
s model MGA.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoXIJlsJ08cUGArqDzZ9Wy8MpnW3pCv 2f27PaGG4RchqEJzgd2KQ

Oldmanzues
08-13-2015, 09:39 AM
The Stallion is horrible to drive. Getting and out has already been mentioned as hard. As I remember. you straddle a long seat, right foot works the gas, left foot the brake. Steering wheel. However you can only see a very small patch of anything in front of you and the rest disappears.I drove it around a empty parking lat just a little and said, no thanks. Vendor/Dealer said take it out on the highway. I said, no thanks again. Been several years ago at a Gold wing Rally in Ohio.
Did see a couple at at GWRRA rally in MS that same year and not much since

Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 09:50 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoXIJlsJ08cUGArqDzZ9Wy8MpnW3pCv 2f27PaGG4RchqEJzgd2KQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UbbFoEAE1I&feature=player_detailpage

SDM
08-13-2015, 09:50 AM
This was parked a couple of spaces from me at one of our monthly bike nights last year.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113499&stc=1 Not a fan. I'd much rather have this.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113500&stc=1 Probably be way too hot to drive in the summer but I like it!

wiredgeorge
08-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Yes. When I was in England, our Wing CO was a large man. We lovingly referred to him as "the elephant". He drove an MGB. We sometimes saw him driving on the flightline with his arm out the drivers window picking up FO (foreign objects). We always wondered how he fit himself in that MG. His was a '60
s model MGA.

I owned an MG Midget back in the early 70s... fire engine red, roll bar and wire wheels. It also had a Strebro exhaust which was as annoying a sound as can be imagined but I guess I liked such things back then.... Sporty? You filled the "boot" (trunk) with spare magnetos and fuel pumps. BTW: The fuel pump was up in one of the rear wheel wells and you had to crawl under the car (which is about 2 inches high) to change it when it died while on the road. The magneto (I guess alternator in American) was the other thing my little nightmare ate on a regular basis. I loved the car but learned far too much about mechanics than a kid should know hehe

coastrider
08-13-2015, 09:58 AM
I demoed one at Daytona when they first came out. I found it uncomfortable to sit in, unwieldy, and ugly in the bargain. I seldom see one, and I've seen no advertising for them in recent years. I'd assumed production had stopped. If not, the slingshot will surely kill it off.

rpatsh
08-13-2015, 10:24 AM
I saw several of them in Sturgis this year

Chupaca
08-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Bt only in your pictures posted. There are so many out there now its hard to keep track...:spyder:if I were go that route I would go for this one.....:thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113502&stc=1

PrairieSpyder
08-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Bt only in your pictures posted. There are so many out there now its hard to keep track...:spyder:if I were go that route I would go for this one.....:thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113502&stc=1

Is that VW?

PrairieSpyder
08-13-2015, 11:01 AM
This was parked a couple of spaces from me at one of our monthly bike nights last year. . . .http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113500&stc=1 Probably be way too hot to drive in the summer but I like it!

What is that? It looks like it has fire hoses in the back!

Chupaca
08-13-2015, 11:02 AM
And a nice one...from the number one selling car in america.....

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Is that VW?

:shocked: It appears to be... :shocked:

EDIT: The GX-3

http://www.tuvie.com/sport-volkswagen-gx3-reverse-trike-concept/

3-togo
08-13-2015, 11:59 AM
yes I have I was in a car/motorcycle show and one of these came in theres no place to store anything on that so called trike owner said you have to have a trailer when traveling to me not worth it very high priced space odyssey looking bike has long front fork don't know how it handles in turns but i'm sure it can't do what the spyder can do.oh by the way I took second in the bike catergory the stallion didn't place at all.

Not wishing to start a controversy, but if you engage a stallion in the swervies you better have your helmet on tight. Without a doubt the best handling trike I've ever driven. Not familiar with Hannigan or road smith. The women were quite taken with the stallion and chased me down for pictures ect. Unfortunately, no one asked for my phone number !! Yes, I own a 2015 rt and very nice trike. Sold my stallion ,because service network was spotty and only found one ford dealer in Oregon who would work on any warranty issues. I had few problems and the factory stood behind their warranty if you could find someone familiar with the trike.
Pete

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Do you remember how much the Stallions weighed? :dontknow:
(Just curious...)

ARtraveler
08-13-2015, 12:32 PM
What is that? It looks like it has fire hoses in the back!

Nice catch. It does look like a fire truck. Blue light on front.

ARtraveler
08-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks folks. Some great pictures to look at here. I like em all. :yes:

3-togo
08-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Do you remember how much the Stallions weighed? :dontknow:
(Just curious...)

Yes, the stallion weighed about 1700 PDs with options. Interesting, so many people are aware of the capabilities of the stallion but have not owned one or just drove around the parking lot. Many on this forum feel you need 500 to a thousand miles to unlock the potential of the Spyder. I won't go into all the development of the stallion, but it wasn't without engineering or racing background input. After visiting, the factory in Troup, Texas, the team was helpful and demostrated the capabilities of the stallion. Each to his own. Bob, I see where you are going with the power to weight issue. Have a good day.
Pete

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 12:59 PM
I was actually looking to compare it's weight; to the SlingShot's...
They appear to be similar. :thumbup:
Thanks! :D

3-togo
08-13-2015, 01:06 PM
I was actually looking to compare it's weight; to the SlingShot's...
They appear to be similar. :thumbup:
Thanks! :D

I've looked at the slingshot but did not demo. From appearances not sure how the trike handles . Longer wheel base would appear to improve road manners.

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't know if you saw it, but one of the magazines DID put one on it's back; after trying to run the slalom with the stability system disconnected. :yikes:

Big Dog
08-13-2015, 02:42 PM
I am on my second Stallion, and while I'm been looking at the Spyder, because the Stallion is no longer in production and service is very hard to find. I love it as a ride, with two hip replacements, bad knees I had to give up two wheels. Trikes didn't really interest me, I saw the Motor Trike transporter on the interstate, they had a Stallion graphic on the side, did some checking and bought one. They have a 2.3 ltr, Ford with auto and drivetrain. Yes it has a steering wheel, so the old school will say it's not a bike, I say I've been from Florida to Colorado to Maine with the wind in what hair I have left, on sunny days and in the rain. The biggest hassel is stopping for gas, everyone wants to ask questions about it. Once when a friend and I came out from a meal stop, a couple had let there kid get into Jeff's Stallion, so they could take little Bobby's picture behind the wheel! I bet that doesn't happen with a Spyder, and I know that I couldn't set the cruise, and enjoy my coffee going down the interstate as easy on a Spyder. But I think I will be on one, by next spring.

SDM
08-13-2015, 04:18 PM
I am on my second Stallion, and while I'm been looking at the Spyder, because the Stallion is no longer in production and service is very hard to find. I love it as a ride, with two hip replacements, bad knees I had to give up two wheels. Trikes didn't really interest me, I saw the Motor Trike transporter on the interstate, they had a Stallion graphic on the side, did some checking and bought one. They have a 2.3 ltr, Ford with auto and drivetrain. Yes it has a steering wheel, so the old school will say it's not a bike, I say I've been from Florida to Colorado to Maine with the wind in what hair I have left, on sunny days and in the rain. The biggest hassel is stopping for gas, everyone wants to ask questions about it. Once when a friend and I came out from a meal stop, a couple had let there kid get into Jeff's Stallion, so they could take little Bobby's picture behind the wheel! I bet that doesn't happen with a Spyder, and I know that I couldn't set the cruise, and enjoy my coffee going down the interstate as easy on a Spyder. But I think I will be on one, by next spring.

Big Dog, we have the same problem that you have with your Stallion. Some HD people say the Spyder is not a bike (it's not, it's a reverse trike), we drive our Spyders all over the place (the hubby (Tobor 9) and I don't have a car anymore), add 10-15 mins - or longer! - for a gas stop (people always ask questions about our Spyders) and many of us have come out of places to find kids or adults sitting or trying to sit on them. And yes, we do have cruise control so we can enjoy our coffee, water, soda or whatever your pleasure - hopefully not alcohol related!!!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Big Dog... :welcome: :2thumbs: