PDA

View Full Version : Mock antenna

Gerald755
08-12-2015, 07:21 PM
I need help/ideas on how to install a mock antenna on the left side of my 2015 RTS SE6.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 07:22 AM
:shocked: The asymmetry; has always bugged me too! :thumbup:
If you take a look at the parts listings for the mounting of the antenna; (or perhaps the optional CB antenna), it should show you what parts you need.
Without looking; I would guess that you'd need to remove that plug on the left side, install the rubber cover, and screw your antenna into whatever is under the Tupperware.
(I am assuming that the mounting hardware is already in place; I could very well be wrong... :shocked:)
Good luck with this project; we want to see the results! :yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-13-2015, 07:57 AM
:shocked: The asymmetry; has always bugged me too! [emoji106]
If you take a look at the parts listings for the mounting of the antenna; (or perhaps the optional CB antenna), it should show you what parts you need.
Without looking; I would guess that you'd need to remove that plug on the left side, install the rubber cover, and screw your antenna into whatever is under the Tupperware.
(I am assuming that the mounting hardware is already in place; I could very well be wrong... :shocked:)
Good luck with this project; we want to see the results! :yes:
Nope. The mounting block is part of the CB antenna kit.

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks for that piece of the puzzle! :thumbup:

eddieshep999
08-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Fitting a 2nd Aerial to a Spyder RT

To do this :-

Remove the speaker housing from the rear trunk, held by 3 screws on the inside

Disconnect the wires from the speakers - This will allow you to work with the speaker box

You now need to remove the outer painted cover from the inner cover - This is held by screws and some clips so once you remove the outer
cover you will need to pull out and slide the cover to split the speaker box

You will need the brass antenna holder in which the aerial will screw into
(This gives you the correct angle for the 2nd Antenna to match the other side)

The Antenna holder is held by a bolt and fits in the recess in the inner skin

Once you have fitted the Brass Antenna holder you need to put the Covers back together and reconnect the speaker wires
now just re-attach the speaker box to the rear trunk

The 2nd aerial is just screwed into the Brass Antenna holder and the job is done

These pictures may help

Brass Antenna holder (Copied from post by Happyspyder2039 - Hope he didn't mind)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112226&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1437830929

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112227&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1437830955

Recess for Brass antenna holder to fit into (This is showing the side where the original aerial is fitted)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113490&stc=1

You will not have the Aerial wires fitted although you could fit a washer and a nut to the threaded screw which also helps to locate the brass
Antenna holder in that recess

Picture shows the balance an aerial on each side looks like

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113491&stc=1

Hope this helps

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 08:39 AM
:clap: NOW; you've got something to work with! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Fitting a 2nd Aerial to a Spyder RT
Ahhhh, I remember a time about 60 years ago when we used to call them aerials in this country also. Don't know when antenna displaced that term! Probably with the widespread advent of television antennas in the early '50s.

bobgeorge
08-13-2015, 09:46 AM
what about removing the antenna? The antenna is only used for the radio correct? If so, I doubt if I will ever use it. If I take the antenna out is there something I can use to cover the hole?

Thanks!

eddieshep999
08-13-2015, 10:33 AM
what about removing the antenna? The antenna is only used for the radio correct? If so, I doubt if I will ever use it. If I take the antenna out is there something I can use to cover the hole?

Thanks!

On the speaker box without an antenna fitted BRP Places a push out cover painted the same colour as the Speaker box
you would just need to unscrew the antenna
They use Loctite So removal of the antenna may mean you have to remove the speaker box to remove the antenna by placing the brass antenna
holder in a vice to remove it

You would just need a new cover to place in the hole left where the OEM antenna was

happyspyder2039
08-14-2015, 03:04 PM
On the speaker box without an antenna fitted BRP Places a push out cover painted the same colour as the Speaker box
They use Loctite So removal of the antenna may mean you have to remove the speaker box to remove the antenna by placing the brass antenna

You would just need a new cover to place in the hole left where the OEM antenna was
You shouldn't need to remove the speaker box just to remove the antenna whip itself. I would warm up the lock tite with heat gun or sodering iron. Small open wrench or rubber tip pliers to unscrew should do the trick

bobgeorge
08-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Well...I was putting on my cover and the antenna broke near the base. So I have the hole covered with the rubber base for now.

Anyone know where to get small cover similar to the other side?

Gerald755
08-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the helpful insight.