PDA

View Full Version : To gear or not to gear

Rogue Hawk
08-12-2015, 05:01 PM
...that is up to you.

I live in a state IL, that does not have helmet laws. Consequently, I encounter many riders who don't wear one. I also see some strange gear configurations; full face helmet and nothing else, all geared up on top and no gear below the waist line, semi-sorta gear that looks like gear but its really just for fashion, no gear period.

I wear full gear; Full faced helmet with motorcycle specific gloves, boots, jacket, and Kevlar lined pants. I don't criticize people who don't wear gear or wear it incorrectly. But they certainly criticize me. And that is what I don't understand. What is the mentality that leads to scoffing riders who wear proper gear?

Also, I think anyway, that motorcycle gear is cool. The jackets, helmets, boots and gloves are all high on the style meter. There is a Dianese store near my home and I go in there to look at all the stuff they have. The track suits are particularly cool. I look, but I really don't need a Valentine Rossi race suite. But perhaps some day I will think of a good reason to get one.:p

Bfromla
08-12-2015, 05:04 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113458&stc=1:firstplace::roflblack:

Pirate looks at --
08-12-2015, 05:11 PM
When the two of you get in a crash, you with the gear will survive much better than they will, if they do! Also if you buy that Valentino Rossi race suite, ask the sales person what the WLF on the front of the suite stands for!:roflblack::roflblack:

cuznjohn
08-12-2015, 05:18 PM
in this weather it's shirt, jeans, sneakers and sometimes gloves. same way i rode on two wheels. oh i forgot 3/4 helmet with flip shield, shield up most of the time

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 05:23 PM
You do what you've got to do, in order to protect that body parts that you'd hate to lose in a wreck! :2thumbs:
ATGATT here...

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 05:34 PM
37 years of riding without a crash. My focus is on riding safely and keeping the motorcycle radar on high alert. I wear a 3/4 helmet, jeans, sturdy shoes or boots, and long sleeve shirt. Every now and then if the blow torch of a sun isn't too intense, I wear a tank top. Arizona doesn't require helmets either, but I wear one by choice; I have been wearing one ever since I bought my first motorcycle in 1977 while still living in Chicago.

I would never make fun of anyone for over protecting themselves. It's your ride. As long as you ride safely it doesn't matter to me. Even the people who ride in shorts and flip flops, as ridiculous as that is, I just smile at them and hope they ride safely.

Pam

cmungen
08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
You live in the USA, you have freedom and rights. What the heck are you doing listening to some creeps who comment on your attire?

IN Illinois you do not have to wear a helmet which jndicates the intellegence level of the populace which elects felons for goveners and allows the state to get bankrupt.

You seem like a logical person. just use the common sense God gave you and stop over thinking about what some one else conjectures.
Pretty soon they will convince you not to ride a motorized vehicle with less tham 4 wheels.
Be safe
carl

ARtraveler
08-12-2015, 06:14 PM
I will not criticize others on their choices of rides or gear that they wear.

I am a believer in ATGATT and that is what I wear. Have not been criticized that I know of, but I would not let that affect me either.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 06:17 PM
:agree: Just ride your own ride; and let others ride theirs! :thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
If it's in the 90's I may not wear my jacket, otherwise I do full gear. We refer to the non-helmet wearers as "organ donors". I can't count how many bike crashes there have been this summer in our area of the state. Unbelievable......many have lost the battle of "head vs pavement" too. Unfortunate indeed, but as mentioned, it's our choice.

Pirate looks at --
08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
I hear people on this board say that "they concentrate on ryding safely, and keep the motorcycle radar on alert." I have great confidence in my ability to Ryde safe, on the other hand, I have no confidence in the general motoring public to do the same. The crash th.at will kill you is the one caused by so one else. There have been many such fatalities brought to our attention on the board. Better to be safe than sorry!

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 07:31 PM
I hear people on this board say that "they concentrate on ryding safely, and keep the motorcycle radar on alert." I have great confidence in my ability to Ryde safe, on the other hand, I have no confidence in the general motoring public to do the same. The crash th.at will kill you is the one caused by so one else. There have been many such fatalities brought to our attention on the board. Better to be safe than sorry!

Being alert and aware of your surroundings can give you an opportunity to react and steer clear of danger. Of course there are times when there is nothing you can do. Yes, there are inattentive drivers on the road with us. Yes, there are incompetent drivers on the road with us. Bad stuff can happen in an instant.

Protective clothing and a helmet may or may not save your life, depending on the nature of the incident. How each rider gears up boils down to the individual comfort zone as far as how much protection they want to wear. But I still say that being ultra alert and knowing what's going on ahead and beside you is paramount.

In any case, nobody should be criticized for their decision to gear up when they ride.

Peter Aawen
08-12-2015, 07:51 PM
........Snip
Protective clothing and a helmet may or may not save your life, depending on the nature of the incident. How each rider gears up boils down to the individual comfort zone as far as how much protection they want to wear. But I still say that being ultra alert and knowing what's going on ahead and beside you is paramount.

Also add 'behind you' into that 'what's going on ahead and besides you' bit just after 'ahead' but before the 'and', and that's pretty much got it all boiled down & stuffed into a nutshell! :thumbup:

Not that I ever appreciated picking up after something went wrong for a non ATGATT rider during my time as a paramedic; but hey, that could also be read as 'that's Darwinism at its harshest at work!!' :banghead:

But seriously, if you want to ride naked, then who am I or anyone else to pass judgement.....??! besides, there's probably a few people I wouldn't mind seeing ride naked! :ohyea:

jaherbst
08-12-2015, 07:55 PM
It's too hot here! If you really want to get noticed without all those loud colors, Helmut and Birkenstocks work well. (nothing else)

OK Bob there's your Que.

Jack

jwulf74
08-12-2015, 08:26 PM
I am a non-conformist/rebel... ATGATT, no tatoo's and I ride a Spyder.

If I wanted to be like everyone else I would be tatted up, wear no gear and ride a Harley...

Chupaca
08-12-2015, 11:42 PM
I do critisize the tank top shorts and toe sandal crowd cause they crossed the line...:roflblack: but they usually agree and go on their merry way. So why bother I dress accordingly with a good modular helmet. Full gloves, no half or rivets or snsps (don't ask)...:thumbup:

cptjam
08-13-2015, 01:29 AM
Gear up! This can be a full contact sport! Better to have it on and not need it......remember, you don't get to pick the day you crash! ATGATT!!

HIspyder
08-13-2015, 03:01 AM
Been riding 37 years now. Went down when I was 17 (A 17 year old with a Suzuki GT550?, bad idea) and if it weren't for the helmet, I wouldn't be writing this now. So it's ATGATT for me.

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 07:00 AM
It's too hot here! If you really want to get noticed without all those loud colors, Helmut and Birkenstocks work well. (nothing else)

OK Bob there's your Que.

Jack

Jack, If I am EVER fortunate enough to get to ride with you; I want to be at the front of the pack... :shocked:

skymed
08-13-2015, 07:41 AM
I am a firm believer of "it's your choice".....but, having been a paramedic for over 30 years and scraped far too many bike accidents from the tarmac, MY choice is ATGATT.

For all the reasons as noted in this and other threads, you can be as safe as you want to be, but you have no control over what others around are you doing, so I prefer safer than sorry. OH....and ATGATT is a good excuse to browse the local motorcycle shops and online stores and add some personal farkels to me and the missus for a change as opposed to the bike.

personal farkles......... =parkles? Persackles?

Steve

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 07:45 AM
personal farkles......... =parkles? Persackles?

"Gear"... :thumbup: :D

MEP
08-13-2015, 08:06 AM
You live in the USA, you have freedom and rights. What the heck are you doing listening to some creeps who comment on your attire?

IN Illinois you do not have to wear a helmet which jndicates the intellegence level of the populace which elects felons for goveners and allows the state to get bankrupt...
carl

You're absolutely right, Carl. I'm pretty sure that you would be critical of my riding attire, and I also happen to live in Illinois, but I'm not going to listen to you or comment on the contradictory nature of what you've posted.

jaherbst
08-13-2015, 08:22 AM
Jack, If I am EVER fortunate enough to get to ride with you; I want to be at the front of the pack... :shocked:

In that position the "view would be much better"!:joke:

Jack

jaherbst
08-13-2015, 08:24 AM

Jack

Vader
08-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Having survived being struck by a car when I was six, and nearly killed..and again while sitting in a parked car in 2001, I have decided ATGATT. Why? I like kissing my wife.

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 08:35 AM

Jack

:shocked: I'll be taking a baseball bat, to the mirrors first! :D

Who smears you up with all of that sunscreen; before each ride?

Pirate looks at --
08-13-2015, 09:01 AM
That's some additional Gear you need to wear on every Ryde.......SUNSCREEN!!:clap:

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Jack knows where you can get sunscreen in bulk containers, for a reasonable price! :roflblack:

Rogue Hawk
08-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Having survived being struck by a car when I was six, and nearly killed..and again while sitting in a parked car in 2001, I have decided ATGATT. Why? I like kissing my wife.

I was hit by a car while on my Honda interceptor. So I had to turn in my membership card to the 'Can't happened to me' club.

Bob Denman
08-13-2015, 12:32 PM
I was hit by a car while on my Honda interceptor. So I had to turn in my membership card to the 'Can't happened to me' club.
Yup! It certainly CAN happen... :opps:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113508&stc=1