PDA

View Full Version : Fuse Problem

Questions
08-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Well, I have been a 2012 RTS SE5 owner for 4 months now. I have replaced all the reflectors with LED's, added third brake light & upgraded the anti sway bar & heim links. Everything looks & works great but I did have a situation that scared the heck out of me. Hopped on the Spyder last night, cranked it up & my marker lights began to strobe then went out completely along with all my other lights. The scary part was the bike would not go into gear & I got the Parking Brake, Check Transmission & Check Engine message. Went out this morning, checked all the fuses in the Frunk & can't believe that one little blown 15 amp fuse for the lights controlled all the other problems I was experiencing. Anyway, replaced the fuse, started the bike & everything was back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone who may encounter a similar problem in the future. K-I-S-S, before you begin to think about having the bike towed to the dealer like I was about to do because I did not think a blown fuse for lights would control the transmission also.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Which fuse was blown?

Chupaca
08-12-2015, 11:48 PM
if all your lights go (especially brakes) you will have issues as well if there are sensors on that circuit...:dontknow:

Dubliner
08-13-2015, 01:20 AM
You might consider fitting a secondary system in parallel with the standard wiring with it's own fuse(s) which could be attached to a secondary fuse panel and connected to the battery. In this way any sensitivity in the original wiring loom would be returned to the machine. Many electronics today are dependent on using resistance in their sensors to send information. Any alteration to the original loom will disturb this symbiotic relationship throwing up error codes, blown fuses and scratched foreheads.

Questions
08-13-2015, 01:44 PM
The fuse in question was the 15 amp one in the Frunk. When you take off the fuse panel cover, it will be the last one on the top left of the panel. I have & had considered rigging up a separate fuse panel for extra lights & such. I did this on my last motorcycle for extra highway driving lights. I did not think that 6 reflectors replaced with LED's would blow this circuit. I have been riding around with this set up for the last 3 months with no problem. Maybe it was just an old or faulty fuse. If it happens again I will be going to my local motorcycle salvage yard & picking up a fuse panel & adding it to the RT under it's own power. Like I said, I just find it hard to believe that this circuit also controls the transmission shifting. I would have thought that lights & transmission would have separate circuits.

Questions
08-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Went out for another ride over the weekend and the same fuse blew once again. Replaced the fuse & made it home. Did not have time until today to take a closer look & troubleshoot the situation. Thought about the last electrical modification I made which was the trailer wiring. Well, it turned out that the way I routed the trailer wiring was a mistake. The way I had routed the wire was very close to the rear brake rotor but I thought it would clear it. The rotor ate through the wire loom & two of the connections & was shorted out each time the wire touched the rotor. It appears the extra weight of a second passenger was just enough for the rotor to come in contact with the trailer wiring. Routed the wiring on the other side of the trailer hitch & hope the exhaust does not get hot enough to melt the wiring. I did strap the wires to the hitch so it should be OK. Anyway, you live & learn from mistakes.