PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing auto tires for use on st

KevinE
08-12-2015, 12:59 PM
I've got a 2013 STS and the rear tire has almost 11K on it. The dealer says the replacement tire will cost $119 and that's not counting mounting it on the rim I figure. Some posts talked about the OEM tires wearing out easily. Can you use auto tires?, and if so where do you get them and do you know the exact name and or type I should use?

jcasey
08-12-2015, 01:10 PM
search car tires:thumbup:

billybovine
08-12-2015, 01:12 PM
I've got a 2013 STS and the rear tire has almost 11K on it. The dealer says the replacement tire will cost $119 and that's not counting mounting it on the rim I figure. Some posts talked about the OEM tires wearing out easily. Can you use auto tires?, and if so where do you get them and do you know the exact name and or type I should use?

If you do a search there are a lot of threads on this topic. The first replacement tire I tried on my STL was a Kuhmo. An extremely popular replacement tire with a lot of rave reviews. with what i would expect is a very long thread life. I hated it and I took it off when it was only half worn out. It was too hard for my liking and just would not stick to the pavement. I am now running a Yokohama S Drive 205 55R15. A slightly different size than the original but with a similar circumference. So far I like it, but I have not really driven it in the wet.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 01:13 PM
:welcome:
:shocked: You have just asked the most-asked question on the internet... :clap: :D
Yes; you CAN use automotive tires. The Spyder has automotive style wheels.
As much as I'd like to be able to say: "use this tire in that size, and everything will be perfect"; I can't. :shocked:
My reason: Some of the automotive tires get just as negative reviews for handling issues, and the OEM tire does for it's perceived short life.
As for me: I'm using a Kumho Ecsta AST, in the OEM sizing. I've had no trouble with it, and I suspect that the mileage that I get out of it, will be significantly better than the OEM Kenda.

But that's just me! :D

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-12-2015, 01:14 PM
The search box is your friend. You'll find hundreds of comments about using car tires on the rear of a Spyder.

wyliec
08-12-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm curious about the $119 for the rear tire; unless it's different than the GS/RS, that seems low as Kendas go, from the dealer.

Chupaca
08-12-2015, 02:34 PM
from your question you have not been here long...:roflblack: there is not a day goes by there is not some refeence to tires here. If you search a bit you may find more information than you bargined for. I still use the kendas and they have worked well for me, from what you see here, apparently only me . The hard part is picking the one best for you. Many out there many users and many opinions....:banghead:

KevinE
08-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm new at the site so hopefully I'll get the hang of searching the forum

Highwayman2013
08-12-2015, 04:34 PM
There are many opinions on car tires for spyders. I use a 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy on the rear of my RT. I have 13,000 miles on it currently and it has plenty of tread left. Many choices are available in this size so do your homework and make sure the shop you use will mount a car tire on your spyder.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm new at the site so hopefully I'll get the hang of searching the forum
Hi Kevin!
Don't be afraid to ask; it's what we're here for! :D nojoke :2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-13-2015, 09:57 PM
If you want better Traction from a car tire on your Spyder in either wet or dry conditions ............LOWER the tire pressures............because car tires have much higher load capabilities, the sidewalls are stiffer............ie , if 4 tires can hold up 4000 lbs. and 3 tires only have to hold up 1000 lbs...........Why would you put the same pressure in the tires in both these examples..............Answer ...you wouldn't ...............BRP gives you air pressures for the KENDA tires .....NOT CAR tires....................I run about 21 lbs on the rear in my Michelin and it's not a bit loose...........I run 16 lbs in the fronts ( Toyo's ) and they stick like glue.............Let the " Flaming begin " :gaah: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.......................Mike :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
08-13-2015, 10:15 PM
^^ No flaming from me Mike, you hit the nail on the head!! :thumbup:

Similarly with almost all the hydroplaning issues people report... a lot of those issues are caused by running tire pressures that are simply too high for the conditions & that tire under that load!! A tire that's too hard can't flex so it's like running a water ski over the wet road, when just by dropping your pressures a little (but not too low) you will allow the tire to flex, increase the footprint a little & expose more tread to the road so it can pump the water between it & traction out of the way and actually increase traction in almost all cases, especially if you've still got any tread left on the tire! Adjusting your tire pressures away from the 'compromise' recommendation published by the manufacturer to suit your particular needs & use is not only acceptable but expected in most other areas of motor transport & tire use, but it seems many Spyder riders either don't know or understand that they can (& quite frankly, probably should!) :shocked:

I too run auto tires under my RT, a slightly larger size than the OE tires but far better performing in every way, & I run 24psi in the rear & 17 psi up front without any ride, handling, traction, or wear issues - and look like getting waaaay better than twice the mileage out of the Kumho's along with significant improvements in all those aspects too! ;)

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-14-2015, 12:11 PM
:congrats:......Peter you get it.............spread the word :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:....................... Mike :yes: