PDA

View Full Version : Results bike wouldn't move update

Larry rt
08-12-2015, 06:00 AM
As stated previously, my brother's bike, 2012Rt .Would not move in 1st or reverse. Dealer discovered the basket that holds the clutch broke in half. Parts ordered. He stated it could of been caused by towing a to heavy of a trailer. My brother has not used his trailer for a year,my thoughts are that he rides a lot in 5th gear, even at slow speeds.bike has 30,000mi on it.

Eagle1
08-12-2015, 06:09 AM
It is definitely not good to ride in 5th gear, especially at low speed. The 998 likes the higher rpms. I never go to 5th until at least 65mph.

loisk
08-12-2015, 06:32 AM
I agree, low revs will cause the clutch plate to "go". Saw one being fixed at a dealership when I first had my spyder, and learnt a valuable lesson that day ...

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 07:01 AM
A clutch basket breaking, due to heavy loads?? :shocked:
That's a new one!
The only part of the clutches that should take it on the chin: the plates. :banghead:

DrewNJ
08-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Could be damage from yanking around a heavy trailer, but not likely. However, its more common from Drag race type starts, revving it up and dumping the clutch. Lugging around in 5th at low rpms I can't see causing a clutch basket failure. Low rpms on the SM is a non-issue vs. the SE.
I'd bet its just one of those "[emoji90] happens" type things.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 07:20 AM
:shocked: Damn... :agree:

Chupaca
08-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Did they actually see this..?? Seems there would have been some serious sounds eminating from behind the clutch cover more worrysome that the fact that it wouldn't move in 1st or reverse...:yikes: broken plates, burnt clutch plates I can see, and you can usually smell, but they would have been slipping more and more. If it happened all of a sudden it would be strange....but then not knowing much I speculate....:dontknow:

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 09:34 AM
:agree: That's why I'm ready to toss the Bull:cus: card on their explanation...