PDA

View Full Version : Installing factory luggae rack/backrest - HELP

Spyderman62
01-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Ok - what did I do wrong? The cable routing from under the seat...it goes over the battery, and then down and under the rear frame section and through the large hole and out towards the rear of the Spyder? Wow - seems like tight radius for a cable. And then it is supposed to reach all the way to the end of the aluminum plate - yeah right. I am about 3/8 short. Thinking ( here comes the stupid part) that if I attach it to the release hook, it will be ok for now, I of course, broke the little plastic looped end that holds the cable barrel in place. So now I have to leave the lower plate off to manually release the latch mechanism until BRP can get a new part sent out. That in itself should be a challenge, but I have not even asked the parts dept yet. Another day. So on to the cable routing. Help!:yikes:

tatt2r
01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
didnt have a problem with cable routing it's been so long since i put it on i cant remember but i do know it was long enough whole installation went smooth ...

brutus450
01-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I did mine and the cable routing was th hardest part :shocked:

it really doesnt go OVER the battery - kind of behind it. You need to take the battery out. Then it curves to to the center of the bike to a big hole under the rectangle frame up INTO the frame and out the back wher the aluminum bracket slides into. I was trying to do it the way I THINK you are and it wont work. It took me about a half hour to figure it out. Take a REAL close look at the picture in the directions about the battery section and the directions ARE NOT CLEAR about going up and INTO the frame and out the back! Let me know if you get it to work. I really dont want to take mine apart for pictures but I will if you cant get it and need more help.

draboo
01-10-2009, 11:27 PM
So now I have to leave the lower plate off to manually release the latch mechanism until BRP can get a new part sent out.

:hun:

What is this lower plate you speak of?? I never recieved a lower plate with my rear rack or backrest. It has been open since day 1. I am very curious to what this lower plate looks like.

Thanks.

SpyderRider2492
01-11-2009, 12:50 AM
It's been a while but I had no real problems with the instalation, I remember I sat and read the instructions over and over a few times as to the correct route of the cable and looked long and hard at the machine before I took the plunge.

I know the instructions said to remove the battery, but I did not need to do this, however I did remove the Bottom and upper tail cover,(the new parts replace this anyway) then the rear side panel so I would have great access as per the instuctions.(I did not unplug the lights as I just 'rested' the rear panel up by the seat with a bungie cord).

When you lift up the seat the cable starts in line with where the rear grip handles are on the left hand side of the :spyder: and although it does allow small curves in the cable they are very minimal to say the lease, so I am thinking you may have the cable misrouted somewhat. The cable routing goes through a small channel in the framework.

I also remember it says to allow 1.5 hours for the intallation of the Rear sports rack and Backrest, I guess I took it easy and spent at least a couple of hours or more doing it. but thats just me.