PDA

View Full Version : TPMS

lmadsen
08-11-2015, 09:20 AM
I would like to hear from those of you that have a tire pressure monitoring system on your spyders. I would like to know what brand you have and where you purchased them. Also, has it been somethig you have felt an important device to have?

Thanks
lmadsen

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-11-2015, 09:27 AM
I would like to hear from those of you that have a tire pressure monitoring system on your spyders. I would like to know what brand you have and where you purchased them. Also, has it been somethig you have felt an important device to have?

Thanks
lmadsen

IMHO, they are more important on a trailer as a warning device that you got a flat tire............because a flat on a trl. is usually not noticed until there is considerable damage..................Mike :thumbup:

Pampurrs
08-11-2015, 09:31 AM

Thanks
lmadsen

To answer the second part of your question: I had TPMS on my Goldwing, and found it to be more trouble than it's worth. I'm one of those people who is extremely judicious about maintaining proper pressure in the tires, so the TPMS was not a benefit to me. Then, after getting new tires mounted, the TPMS light would come on even when the tires were properly inflated. I kept having to go back to the dealer to get the thing adjusted. It took three trips before it started acting right.

My opinion about TPMS? You're better off with a decent tire inflater and pressure gauge in your garage.

Pam

Pampurrs
08-11-2015, 09:34 AM
IMHO, they are more important on a trailer as a warning device that you got a flat tire............because a flat on a trl. is usually not noticed until there is considerable damage..................Mike :thumbup:

:agree:Good point!

Chupaca
08-11-2015, 10:28 AM
works great for multi tired rigs, trailers and even cars for those who no nothing about them. My wife just drives till she gets home and quips " oh by the way there some little orange light on in the car"...I'll wait for the ones that maintain the pressure and don't just tell me what I know...;)

Grandpot
08-11-2015, 10:50 AM
I agree with Pampurrs. TPMs are not going to be of much help. You need to do a safety check before riding. If you get a blow-out, the TPM doesn't do you any good. If you have a slow leak, will you see the alert on the monitor before you get into trouble? If you have a slow leak, you would likely notice it in your pre-ride check.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-11-2015, 11:04 AM
I have been working with tpms for well over 20 years now starting with the 1986 porsche 928, i have seen them progress from
annoying crap into what they are today, almost annoying crap. they serve a very good purpose of notifying the driving of a
potential tire problem while driving.
the sensors made for m/c are called hi line because they give off tire pressure not just the idiot light on dash. properly maintained
i personally feel they are good to have.

jcspyder
08-11-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't have a TPMS yet, but I am considering these - http://www.fobobikesales.com/index.php?. A couple on SL have these and like them. I am also good about monitoring my tire pressure and doing a pre-ride safety check, but if these are accurate, how nice would it be not to have to get on your hands and knees to get to the rear tire valve stem to check the current pressure - instead you just walk up to your bike and check your phone to see the current temp and pressure of all three tires...again, if they are accurate.

They will also give you an audible alarm in your bluetooth helmet if you have that. Obviously that doesn't help with a blowout, but it has helped me with the built-in system on my car with a slow or moderate leak because of a nail or screw that I picked up during a drive.

pitzerwm
08-11-2015, 01:29 PM
I have the FOBO for my bike and for my van. They give you piece of mind that's it. If your tire is low or gets low it tells you. There is 3 alarm levels so if you have a big problem it tells you, it alarms at 10% low, my BMW only tells you at 23%. If I'm towing the bike, I take the unit off the front tires and put them on the trailer. I had bought new tires for the trailer and was coming back when the alarm went off, WTF the valve was leaking and I would have lost the tire if I hadn't of caught it. When I am pulling the bike's trailer, I can take 2 off my van and put them on the trailer.

To me they are worth it, check the pressure on my smart phone and take off, checking the pressure especially on the rear is a pain.

Dragonfly
08-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Do a search for TPMS / FOBO, here is my last comment http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?83842-Garmin-Zumo-590-and-TPMS-on-a-new-2015-RT-Limited-SE6&highlight=FOBO post #15

Works well with bluetooth on my RT

tigerdr
08-11-2015, 02:16 PM
FOBO TPMS for me. Easy to use. Apps is very friendly.

Bob Denman
08-11-2015, 02:37 PM
The PMS? :shocked:
I don't think that we can talk about that in here. :yikes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-11-2015, 05:40 PM
The PMS? :shocked:
I don't think that we can talk about that in here. :yikes:
Do you know why women suffer from PMS?
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Just because they do! That's why!

Bob Denman
08-11-2015, 05:43 PM
:lecturef_smilie: I'm not standing next to you :shocked:... somebody might just lob a grenade! :yikes: :roflblack:

Highwayman2013
08-11-2015, 06:14 PM
I think Finless did a video on this.

Pampurrs
08-11-2015, 06:16 PM
:lecturef_smilie: I'm not standing next to you :shocked:... somebody might just lob a grenade! :yikes: :roflblack:

Not me. You all know what a sweetheart I am :dg2:

Pam

Highwayman2013
08-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-41jcKzNuY

Bob Denman
08-11-2015, 06:19 PM
:D Whew!! :thumbup:

Wait a minute... I've seen the targets that you've pulled down on! :yikes:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113409&stc=1

Pampurrs
08-11-2015, 06:37 PM
:D Whew!! :thumbup:

Wait a minute... I've seen the targets that you've pulled down on! :yikes:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113409&stc=1

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

JimAlpha
08-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Have the Fobo setup and love it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Omcge
08-12-2015, 08:17 AM
I have a Hawkshead TPMS on both of my Spyders.
I cannot get down on my hands and knees and find them extremely helpful.
They are a little pricey but they come with their own little monitor which I keep in my glove box and are always easy to check. No cell phone needed.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-12-2015, 09:41 AM
for tpms to be truly effective it must have constant read out & low pressure warning

finless
08-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Have had the FOBO bike system for a quite a while now. Love it! No issues with it! Not annoying crap!

I was one of the first to put this on a Spyder and for me, it is piece of mind and a simple way to check your tire pressure before going for a ride rather than getting down there to check with a gauge especially the rear tire which is a pain!

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Have had the FOBO bike system for a quite a while now. Love it! No issues with it! Not annoying crap!

I was one of the first to put this on a Spyder and for me, it is piece of mind and a simple way to check your tire pressure before going for a ride rather than getting down there to check with a gauge especially the rear tire which is a pain!

Bob

Yeah its a pain, but while I'm down there I air it up to proper pressure. It's not so much of a pain that I would gamble that the tires are properly inflated and then go on a ride. I would rather rely on a pre-ride inspection than some technology that tells me the pressure is low long after I've left my house. To each his/her own I guess.

Pam

P.S. I move the Spyder so that the rear valve stem is in the 5:00 position. It's really easy to get the gauge and/or air hose on in this position. I use a large pad to kneel on to make it easier on my knees. Piece of cake :ohyea:

belowme29
08-12-2015, 11:48 AM
I have the Ride On TPMS LED Smart Cap - these are great. Look at your tires and if there is no "red" light on the Smart Cap - you are good to go.

If your initial pressure goes down by 4 psi, the cap starts blinking red.

Better price point then the monitor ones - and you can easily see the "status" of the back tire.

Bruce.

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 11:56 AM
I have the Ride On TPMS LED Smart Cap - these are great. Look at your tires and if there is no "red" light on the Smart Cap - you are good to go.

If your initial pressure goes down by 4 psi, the cap starts blinking red.

Better price point then the monitor ones - and you can easily see the "status" of the back tire.

Bruce.

That's a good idea. Are those adjustable so you can set it to turn red if the tire goes down by a smaller amount? 4 PSI is a significant loss of pressure on a 28 PSI tire. Almost 15%. Even worse on the front tires, 20%. :gaah:

Pam

finless
08-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Yeah its a pain, but while I'm down there I air it up to proper pressure. It's not so much of a pain that I would gamble that the tires are properly inflated and then go on a ride. I would rather rely on a pre-ride inspection than some technology that tells me the pressure is low long after I've left my house. To each his/her own I guess.

I don't think your getting how it works.
You do not have to start riding to check pressure with the FOBO app! You can check it anytime anywhere instantly! Even from inside your house before you even walk out to the garage.
So please understand how it works before discounting it.

I walk out to my Spyder, open the APP in my phone and it shows me right then and there the tire pressure. No getting on my knees to remove stem caps, put on a gauge, etc.

Then I turn on my Bluetooth helmet and it binds to my phone. Now if something happens while riding and I pick up a nail or something and pressure starts dropping, it tells me and I do not need to even be looking at my phone.

Did you watch the video on how it works???

But you are right..... to each his own... You want to get on your knees with a pressure gauge before every ride... feel free! I no longer need to unless I see a tire actually needs air!

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Does,the app tell you the exact pressure or just warn you that it's low? If it gives the exact pressure, then I would find it useful. Personally I don't like my tires to be even one PSI below recommended pressure, which is,why I always check.
I had TPMS on my Goldwing, but by the time the warning light came on it was already 10% under inflated. So I learned not to rely on it.
I'll check into the one you have.

Thanks
Pam

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

finless
08-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Does,the app tell you the exact pressure or just warn you that it's low? If it gives the exact pressure, then I would find it useful. Personally I don't like my tires to be even one PSI below recommended pressure, which is,why I always check.
I had TPMS on my Goldwing, but by the time the warning light came on it was already 10% under inflated. So I learned not to rely on it.
I'll check into the one you have.

Thanks
Pam

Yes it tells you exact pressure within .1 PSI.

Again did you watch the video I did on it which someone posted a few posts ago? It will answer all your questions.

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Yes it tells you exact pressure within .1 PSI.

Again did you watch the video I did on it which someone posted a few posts ago? It will answer all your questions.

Bob
I'll check it out. Thanks

finless
08-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Here it is again in case you missed it.

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Bob

Yeah, that's pretty cool. You're right, I didn't understand this product. My experience with TPMS has been that they only give you a warning when the tire is low, which in most cases is too late. I'll check into this product. As long as it gives me the exact pressure and is reliable, that's fine with me.

Thanks for the info!

Pam

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Bob

Bob, when you bought that, did you buy the FOBO Bike, and then an additional sensor? I don't see one for a trike on their website, so I'm guessing that's the way to do it.

Thanks

Pam

jcspyder
08-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Bob, when you bought that, did you buy the FOBO Bike, and then an additional sensor? I don't see one for a trike on their website, so I'm guessing that's the way to do it.

Thanks

Pam

Pam -

If you go to "Shop Now" you should see TriBike which gives you three (3) sensors instead of two (2) that come for a standard motorcycle. Comes in silver or black (see below pic from their site).
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113457&stc=1

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Pam -

If you go to "Shop Now" you should see TriBike which gives you three (3) sensors instead of two (2) that come for a standard motorcycle. Comes in silver or black (see below pic from their site).

Nope. This is what I see when I click on the Buy button.....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113459&stc=1

jcspyder
08-12-2015, 05:30 PM

Try this link - http://www.fobobikesales.com/index.php?id_category=12&controller=category

That should take you to all the bike options.

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Try this link - http://www.fobobikesales.com/index.php?id_category=12&controller=category

That should take you to all the bike options.

Yeah, that did it, thanks. Don't know why I wasn't able to get there from the main site :dontknow:

Pam

finless
08-12-2015, 05:55 PM
FYI one thing that is also very cool about this is to see how much the tire pressure increases based on temperature!
The rear tire gets a lot hotter than the front while riding. I assume that is due to the CAT, muffler, and engine heat coming back to the rear.

I even have nitrogen in the rear tire and due to it getting a lot hotter than the fronts I started getting warnings of too high a tire pressure on the rear. In fact it went as high as 35 PSI from 28!!! I had to increase the high temp warning threshold from 32 to 36 to stop the warnings because what you would call normal tire pressure changes due to temperature.

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 06:02 PM
FYI one thing that is also very cool about this is to see how much the tire pressure increases based on temperature!
The rear tire gets a lot hotter than the front while riding. I assume that is due to the CAT, muffler, and engine heat coming back to the rear.

I even have nitrogen in the rear tire and due to it getting a lot hotter than the fronts I started getting warnings of too high a tire pressure on the rear. In fact it went as high as 35 PSI from 28!!! I had to increase the high temp warning threshold from 32 to 36 to stop the warnings because what you would call normal tire pressure changes due to temperature.

Bob

Bob,

Do you know if there is any problem using the FOBO with Ride On? According to the Ride On technical info, as long as the sensors are hermetically sealed there shouldn't be a problem. I sent a message to FOBO asking them, and I got an email back saying they are investigating.

Thanks

Pam

finless
08-12-2015, 06:09 PM
I do not use ride-on myself but my bet is this: If you put the stuff in and wait a few days for it to spread around and do it's thing. Then add the sensors, I think you will be fine. The sensors are sealed but since it obviously has a pressure plate inside to sense pressure, if something gets in that it might keep the sensor from reading. But based on how I know ride-on works, if you do what I said about waiting, I bet it will be OK. I mean ride-on doesn't foul your stem valves so probably wont foul the sensors either.

I am in contact with Bob Much and will follow up with you on this.

FYI, I carry a tire repair kit with me that includes emergency air. I also carry a small compressor. If I get a nail or something I will plug the tire properly. I am just not a ride-on believer even though I know many are. I just have my way and have stuck to it.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/StreetTirePremiumRepairKit.aspx

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 06:13 PM
I do not use ride-on myself but my bet is this: If you put the stuff in and wait a few days for it to spread around and do it's thing. Then add the sensors, I think you will be fine. The sensors are sealed but since it obviously has a pressure plate inside to sense pressure, if something gets in that it might keep the sensor from reading. But based on how I know ride-on works, if you do what I said about waiting, I bet it will be OK. I mean ride-on doesn't foul your stem valves so probably wont foul the sensors either.

I am in contact with Bob Much and will follow up with you on this.

FYI, I carry a tire repair kit with me that includes emergency air. I also carry a small compressor. If I get a nail or something I will plug the tire properly. I am just not a ride-on believer even though I know many are. I just have my way and have stuck to it.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/StreetTirePremiumRepairKit.aspx

Bob

My purpose for Ride On is for the dynamic balancing aspect, not so much the puncture repair. I've had it in these tires for two months, so I'm sure it's settled in by now.

According to Ride On technical information on their website, a TPMS sensor will work fine as long as its hermetically sealed. I have asked this question of the
FOBO people and am awaiting a response.

Pam

finless
08-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Bob Much should get back to you on this but I also talked to him about it. I am sure he is asking the folks in Taiwan to be sure but I bet you will be fine. Takes a day or two to hear back from the manufacturer but they are really good at responding.

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Bob Much should get back to you on this but I also talked to him about it. I am sure he is asking the folks in Taiwan to be sure but I bet you will be fine. Takes a day or two to hear back from the manufacturer but they are really good at responding.

Bob

I've been emailing back and forth with someone named Sameer.

Pam

finless
08-12-2015, 06:30 PM
FYI to keep you entertained....

So you know a user here on Spyderlovers when I first did the video asked if they could update the APP to allow a sensor for the RT's air shock for monitoring etc. So after my video they did add a 4th sensor you can get for the airbag along with abother choice in the menus for a Spyder with air shock :)
It does work but because of the large pressure changes it will give warnings if you don't shut it off. But it is cool to see if your shock air bag is leaking or changing.

So if you also want that add a 4th sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5AMvq2vSXE

Bob

finless
08-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I've been emailing back and forth with someone named Sameer.

Pam

Through Fobo bike sales (which is Bob Much in FL) or directly with the manufacturer?

Bob

finless
08-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Another little follow up video I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMO-ZNf05sk

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Through Fobo bike sales (which is Bob Much in FL) or directly with the manufacturer?

Bob

sameer@salutica.com.my

He responded to my inquiry on the FOBO website. :dontknow:

Pam

tigerdr
08-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Fobo sensor are made in Malaysia. I buy my 3 TPMS sensors directly from the company in that country and I received them here in Quebec City 4 days later.

Very useful....

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 06:51 PM

Bob

In the video you mention that you set your front tires at 19 and "It's high for the spec". I don't get that. The spec for the front tires is 20 according to my manual. Unless maybe it's differnt from one model year to another? :dontknow:

finless
08-12-2015, 07:16 PM
In the video you mention that you set your front tires at 19 and "It's high for the spec". I don't get that. The spec for the front tires is 20 according to my manual. Unless maybe it's differnt from one model year to another? :dontknow:

I have a 14" rim due to mine being a 2011 RTS. They changed the tire size in 2013 with 15" rims. Nominal pressure is 17 as I recall for my 2011 model. I prefer to run 19.

Bob

Pampurrs
08-12-2015, 07:19 PM
I have a 14" rim due to mine being a 2011 RTS. They changed the tire size in 2013 with 15" rims. Nominal pressure is 17 as I recall for my 2011 model. I prefer to run 19.

Bob

:thumbup: That explains it. Thanks!

Pam

Dragonfly
08-12-2015, 08:29 PM
I have found that if you email the FOBO log file to yourself and open with a spreadsheet (excel / open office) you get a very detailed record of temperature and pressure for each sensor. Get a little creative and add two columns to convert the KPa and *C to PSI and *F.
Small sample attached.

Date & Time
TPU#
Kpa
PSI
*C
*F

2015-08-02 16:16

2015-08-02 16:59

2015-08-02 16:16

Peter Aawen
08-12-2015, 09:07 PM

Bob

You're right Bob, many people don't know what their tire pressures are doing as the tire heats up, but it is just a tad more confusing than you think!! And your advice towards the end of that link above will do exactly the OPPOSITE of what you intended! :opps: Sorry.

The more your tire pressure is too LOW for what you are doing/asking of it, the greater the heat increase & therefore the MORE the pressure increase as you go!! It all comes back to the flexing of the tire carcass & the way the air inside it gets heated & expands when that happens - more flexing (say from lower tire pressures) and the hotter things get, so the greater the pressure increase! So if you want to make sure your tire pressure doesn't go up too high, you hafta ADD air pressure, not start lower, that'll only make your tires hotter & more likely to blow!!

Tire pressures & temperatures are definitely not as simple a thing as many believe, but it is something that can impact on things like tire wear & longevity, traction, handling, ride, and just about anything else you can imagine. But leaving out all the complexities & confusing that discussion would bring, at its simplest, for the 'optimum' balance between all those, you really want your tire temperature to increase by about 4-5 Degrees C and no more from what it is when cold, before you start riding - and funnily enough, that works out at being a pressure increase of about 4 PSI once your tires are up to temp. So to get the 'best' from your tire, especially if you are running automotive tires, you want to aim at a 'cold start' pressure that will give you a 4 psi increase after an hours ride. Most manufacturers of cars & tires, as well as drivers and owners, racers, tire techs, etc, have used what's become known as 'The 4 psi Rule' to help with this - Cooper Tires even put out a guide explaining this 'rule of thumb' for 4Wheelers, the 'Cooper Tires 4WD Drivers Guide', altho they do suggest using it only on road, but it applies anywhere, on or off road, just as much as it applies to the tire pressures you use for your cage & your bike as well as their 4WD's.

There's a helluva lot of discussion around about this little 'rule of thumb', altho in recent years most of it has been generated by 4WD Forums, but it will help you & anyone else who wants to bother with it to try and get the best from your tires; and once you understand how it all works & applies to what is happening in & to your tires, you can get more from them and your TPMS too, as well as making better educated decisions about how to prioritise one aspect of your ride or tire use to suit you/your needs (just like you have by choosing 19 psi for your front tires for the handling, altho that might come at a little cost in terms of tire life or ride/traction) Just stick 'the 4psi rule' into google & start reading. I apologise in advance for the seemingly blatant advertising (you'll see) but all that info (& typing) is already out there so why not use it, & besides, I'm retired now! ;)

Sorry about out the epic read. :opps:

finless
08-13-2015, 08:08 AM

FYI I see why you could not find the trike option. Look at the bottom of the page in your image.
You are on a Malaysia web site called Salutica which is a seller in Malaysia. Seems they even copied Bob's site! Not good and no wonder it looked confusing to some of us.

That is not the fobobikesales.com site that is here in the USA and the USA distributor and his name is Bob Much.
If you don't get an answer from them for your ride-on question, I would check with Bob before you purchase.

Bob

robmorg
08-17-2015, 06:38 PM
I have the FOBO for my bike and for my van. They give you piece of mind that's it. If your tire is low or gets low it tells you. There is 3 alarm levels so if you have a big problem it tells you, it alarms at 10% low, my BMW only tells you at 23%. If I'm towing the bike, I take the unit off the front tires and put them on the trailer. I had bought new tires for the trailer and was coming back when the alarm went off, WTF the valve was leaking and I would have lost the tire if I hadn't of caught it. When I am pulling the bike's trailer, I can take 2 off my van and put them on the trailer.

To me they are worth it, check the pressure on my smart phone and take off, checking the pressure especially on the rear is a pain.

Bob Thanks, guys, for these posts, and also to Imadson for starting this thread. I've used a TPMS on my motorhome for years, and it has saved me a LOT of inconvenience and aggravation over the years. I've always wanted one for my RT, but didn't know they made them small and light enough to be used with rubber stems until I ran across this post and learned about the FOBO Bike system. You can see in the picture below how small the sensor really is - a lot smaller than other TPMS sending units I've used on other vehicles.

After reading the comments here, and reading Bob's thread here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?79194-FOBO-Bike-TPMS-system-on-a-Spyder) in the DIY forum (which includes another excellent Finless Video), I put in my order. It arrived today, in less than a week. Installation and syncing them up to my smartphone went flawlessly - and it's amazingly accurate. Now it will no longer be a pain (on my 70-year-old arthritic knees) to check the tire pressures on each tire before every ride, and even monitor the pressures on longer trips while riding. I'm lovin' this thing. I think it's going to be one of my favorite farkles before long. :thumbup:

Also I'm betting it'll pay for itself, maybe a few times, in longer tread wear over the life of the Spyder (because up until now, I have NOT been checking the pressures as often as I should).

Here is a screenshot of my smartphone with the app running, and a picture of the sensor installed on the tire....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113828&stc=1.....http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113868&stc=1

The three shaded fields are telling me that the readings shown are NOT in "real time" because I'm currently in the house and the Spyder is outside in the garage, out of range. If they were "real time" readings, the fields would be white. (I'm running the rear at 25 psi, since it is a Yokohama car tire.)

finless
08-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Glad your liking it Rob!

I like it so much for the reasons you state, I would never be without it on any motorcycle now.

It's amazing technology compared to other systems out there which are usually just warning systems and not real digital air pressure readings in the palm of your hand like FOBO is.

Bob