PDA

View Full Version : Laser Alignment

wiredgeorge
08-11-2015, 08:48 AM
I know a lot has been said about laser alignment. I have a 2010 Spyder RT. The factory performed an alignment on this vehicle but as I learned, the method used in 2010 was not really satisfactory. I also learned that a laser alignment can show this easily and that the person doing the alignment must have a BUDS interface to correct the initial factory setting and zero it once the laser alignment is done. In other words, the factory alignment set my Spyder in the wrong orientation and this info is stored in the on-board computer and even if you get a laser alignment and all is squared up, the original on-board computer setting must be zeroed against the new orientation. Hope I got this right as I didn't understand much of this process.

I drove up to Harper Texas to Cliff Fargason's shop. He charges $120 IF the Spyder needs laser alignment and IF the job is done to your satisfaction. I compared this to the quote I got from Coyote in Boerne of $375. Based on forum comments, this seemed a tad high. In any case, my front left wheel was quite a bit out of alignment. You can see how much when the laser hits its carefully placed target. The right wheel was also out a bit but not as much. Cliff corrected this by adjusting the tie rods and centering the laser dots on their targets and resetting the on-board computer through the BUDS interface. I believe BUDS is similar to the interface most car dealerships use to access and change things in the car's on-board computer. Cliff told me what BUDS stands for but I have since forgotten.

I can now ride down the road and take my hands off the bars and they are neutral. The main problem I had noticed that was caused by the mis-alignment was that when a gust of wind hit me or a big truck passed or I went around a sharp high speed turn the front end sort of got squirrely. It was a bit unnerving and the addition of BajaRon's anti-sway bar and Heim links and Elka shocks with the proper springs and the proper inflation of the rear shock really helped but the laser alignment was the cherry on the sunday. BTW: If you are thinking about getting a laser alignment done, Cliff is super meticulous and is an easy ride (give the temps) from San Antonio, Austin or much of the Hill Country. He is right off 290 west of Fredericksburg and there is little traffic on 290 in that direction compared to east of Fredericksburg. I highly recommend his services.

I am pretty sure that BRP is aware of suspension and alignment issues. The tie rods on a 2010 are puny compared to a 2012 and I think the little skinny tie rods may be part of the looseness of the front end. I know the anti-sway bar is... hopefully BRP will continue to refine their Spyder product and improve its handling as they have made significant strides already but to be on the top of the heap need to lead the way in handling and performance.

Poppy1144
08-11-2015, 01:03 PM
How much time should it take a dealer to complete a laser alignment?

wiredgeorge
08-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Half an hour if they stick with it.

Cliff tells me it normally takes an hour if his wife is helping him. Since this current alignment is the only one I have observed, I can't make a general statement. Cliff did have a bit of trouble loosening the two locknuts on each tie rod as this must be done with a box wrench... There isn't much room for using a cheater bar on the wrench on the inside ones I think. If something like sticky fasteners bites you, then you can spend a lot more time although he only had issues with one side as I recall. He also had me go out and ride a good ways after alignment and then come back with my impression of how the Spyder handled and if you add that time in, well more than a 1/2 hour. Since he won't charge unless customer is happy, I think he does the ride thing every time.

JerryB
08-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Hi wiredgeorge,

Re: Cliff did have a bit of trouble loosening the two locknuts on each tie rod as this must be done with a box wrench... There isn't much room for using a cheater bar on the wrench on the inside ones I think.

Are you sure you do not mean open end wrench? The locknuts on my Spyder ( alignment by Cliff & his wife ) caused him most of the trouble; and a lot of time in getting them loose.

Re: Since he won't charge unless customer is happy, I think he does the ride thing every time.

He did not ride mine. He was behind schedule for his next city to go to; and I had to do something else. So I paid him and have been very satisfied with his work. And I got the veteran's discount.

:yes:

Jerry Baumchen

wiredgeorge
08-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Hi wiredgeorge,

Re: Cliff did have a bit of trouble loosening the two locknuts on each tie rod as this must be done with a box wrench... There isn't much room for using a cheater bar on the wrench on the inside ones I think.

Are you sure you do not mean open end wrench? The locknuts on my Spyder ( alignment by Cliff & his wife ) caused him most of the trouble; and a lot of time in getting them loose.

Re: Since he won't charge unless customer is happy, I think he does the ride thing every time.

He did not ride mine. He was behind schedule for his next city to go to; and I had to do something else. So I paid him and have been very satisfied with his work. And I got the veteran's discount.

:yes:

Jerry Baumchen

I meant an open wrench as the lock nuts are captive on the tie rod arm... and the "ride thing" means the customer rides before paying, not Cliff... guess I should have been more clear.