PDA

View Full Version : Captain's Mods

captainryder
01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Never really have started a thread to keep up with my mods. So I will start it now.:)

You can see below in my profile an updated list. But tonight I'm reporting on one of three major modifications I will complete by summer '09. Have planned a 2500 mile trip to Black Hills-Wyoming-Yellowstone-Tetons-Utah and back home to Kansas City via Steamboat Spgs-Rocky Mtn Park-Kansas. 2 weeks

I just installed my 4" Neon Magic Man risers. They fit perfectly !!! Thanks Neon and all on this site for great hints and instructions. :clap::clap::clap:

Mind you I am not a mechanic..... The install only took 2hrs 30 min this afternoon. That was with only instructions and hints from everyone here. Only had to cut one tie around the wire bundle to pull enough of the cable up and out for the SE5 clutch wiring. The right side already was ample. I haven't torqued the bolts as I am awaiting my Russel Day Long Saddle build date (Feb 17th) . (Will lock down the bolts for a final fit when that is accomplished).

Got finished so early, that when my wife came home we took a ride. I had already removed the hinge bolts on the seat, so I just placed it back on without re-connecting the sensor using our body weight to keep it on..

If you want to know what fault the bike registers... well the traction control warning light comes on and the digital scrolls "Seat sensor failed". But the bike starts and runs fine. Got a quick bite to eat and then we took some final pictures for Russell Day Long of both of us sitting on the bike with the new risers and back into the garage before the snow flurries expected tonight.

Already I don't know why I've waited so long for this modification. This has got to be the best modification of the Year 2008. Neon Magic Man is Man of the Year for sure!

Will report on Russel Day Long when it gets back, and then it's time for the trailer hitch and trailer. Guess the Bushtec hitch is for sure, but still looking at trailers. Don't plan or want to pull one all the time. So the quick disconnect of Bushtec's design of hitch is a must.... we'll see about the trailer. I would really like to know if Bushtec would be visiting closer to Kansas City before July, perhaps I would then be tempted to drive to their show site and let them bring a hitch and trailer and install it at the show site. Waiting to see if their schedule will get them further West of their home in Tennessee.

P.S. I put Kuyakyn Isogrips on the new bars.... sweet... Love the larger diameter, think this will be more comfortable, even if my fingers seem to just tickle the SE5 semi-auto switch. But that thing is so sensitive on my bike that all I ever need to do is just brush my finger across the front of the switch and it shifts so smooth.

bjt
01-09-2009, 11:05 PM
:2thumbs:

8LEGS
01-10-2009, 11:25 PM
:clap::2thumbs:

babyanlee
01-11-2009, 08:25 AM
:congrats::clap::2thumbs:

captainryder
05-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Just completed installation of the last ( never say final! ) modifications as we get :f_spider: ready for touring this summer.

Adding to the list:

Bushtec Trailer Hitch - which by the way was very easy to install. Only wish that there were more diagrams and pictures with instructions. I'm a visual guy. Description of bolts and nuts and other parts / wiring harness, isolator, etc. had me reading twice if not more. But Bushtec has the greatest customer service. The BEST !!!! :ohyea: and when I called them about anything, they didn't think I was a nut or stupid.
The Alumna MCT Trailer - about 160 lbs, aluminum, torsion bar suspension and about 14 cu. ft. space.
See all of this and my custom Russell Day Long Seat, solution for listening to Garmin Zumo 550 and XM Radio below at this link to YouTube Video.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

docdoru
05-03-2009, 10:07 AM
:2thumbs:

pphantom538
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Well done

DynamoBT
05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Lookin' Good!!

bjt
05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Looking good bro. :thumbup: Looks like you're "loaded for bear". (Just what you need for a trip to Yellowstone.) :D

SpyderMonkei
06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey, how did you find that location of the GPX (Garmin XM) antenna worked out for you with a passenger in the seat. It would appear that you might have a lot of loss of signal errors if heading in the wrong direction?