PDA

View Full Version : Trailering RT with full Cover Pros and Cons

Semperfi66
08-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I will be trailering my RT behind my 5th wheel when I head south for the winter. Worried about road damage uncovered and with full cover wind flapping rubbing on paint.
What to do?????

Bob Denman
08-10-2015, 05:02 PM
:shocked: We've had too many reports of paint damage... Trailer the bike uncovered, and just give it a good washing. :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-10-2015, 05:03 PM
I will be trailering my RT behind my 5th wheel when I head south for the winter. Worried about road damage uncovered and with full cover wind flapping rubbing on paint.
What to do?????
I take it's an open trailer. I think your best bet would be to put some sort of a trash guard or barrier at the front end of the trailer. Maybe even something like plywood along the sides for a few feet from the front. I don't think you'll suffer any significant debris damage even with no protection. If you're really concerned build a temporary box around it with 2 x 4s and tarps.

I'm sure others will come back saying absolutely do not use a cover for the exact reason you say.

Big Arm
08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
I trailer mine uncovered 1450 miles each way, each yr.

Semperfi66
08-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks Guys that is what I thought I will leave it uncovered

Motorcycledave
08-10-2015, 08:26 PM
If you trailer the Spyder covered plan on doing a paint job on it if you go very far...
the flapping of the cover and any dirt that blows under the cover while going down
the road will act like sandpaper on your paint....if you want it covered put it in a covered trailer.
learned the hard way many years ago with a GoldWing 700 miles later it was toast
almost no paint left on the entire front and sides.
Dave

Chupaca
08-10-2015, 11:55 PM
only other thing...if mounting the roadster backwards...remove the winshield to avoid damage...:thumbup:

Bfromla
08-11-2015, 12:10 AM
:shocked: We've had too many reports of paint damage... Trailer the bike uncovered, and just give it a good washing. :thumbup: enclosed trailer may best.