PDA

View Full Version : First Belt Alignment--Lessons Learned

Gunner3773
08-09-2015, 08:26 PM
I couldn't wait any longer to get to the dealer to get my drive belt alignment set. I was getting a lot of rumbling, belt dust, and noticed that the belt was up against the rear flange.

I started off following the youtube example of putting the rear tire up in the air and adjusting the belt alignment. (I had checked tension with a Krikit and the Gates I-phone frequency app prior to the alignment 1068N) Went for a short test ride and found the 2mm adjustment in the air translated to the belt hanging off the left side of the sprocket. Adjusted the belt again with the rear wheel in the air. Still had troubles when taking a ride.

It took longer, but what I found worked the best for me was adjusting the belt with the wheel on the ground. First, 1/4 turn at a time and then 1/8 turns until it settled, after riding, to about 2.5mm. The other problem I had was that I was unable to get a socket and torque wrench on the right side nut to tighten it to the 166 lbs-ft torque setting. However, I noticed that the factory had "witness marks" on the axle nut and axle bolt end so that I could tighten the nut back to the same spot as factory. To use a torque wrench would have required me to move the muffler out of the way.

The upside is that the 71-77mph belt rumbling is now gone. I plan on having the wife ride with me later to see if I get any belt rumble with the added weight.

Gunner

Highwayman2013
08-09-2015, 08:39 PM
You could torque from the other side and hold the nut with a combination wrench. When I did the adjustment the wheel was off the ground but I put weight on the suspension by using a jack stand on one side of the swingarm.

Gunner3773
08-09-2015, 09:03 PM
I thought about torquing it from the other side, but looking at all the things that axle bolt goes through that could provide resistance to the torque, I just used the witness marks. Next time I might try to torque from the left side and see where I line up in relation to the witness marks.

Thanks for the ideas, I will try supporting the swing arm next time I adjust the alignment.

Gunner

Highwayman2013
08-09-2015, 10:21 PM
I thought about torquing it from the other side, but looking at all the things that axle bolt goes through that could provide resistance to the torque, I just used the witness marks. Next time I might try to torque from the left side and see where I line up in relation to the witness marks.

Thanks for the ideas, I will try supporting the swing arm next time I adjust the alignment.

Gunner I still think it's a pain to adjust the belt.

Roadster Renovations
08-09-2015, 10:27 PM
That is exactly how I adjust mine. I tried the up in the air You Tube video and couldn't make it work for me. It takes a while, and is a PITA, but it is worth it when done! Awesome job!

RUOUTHERE
08-10-2015, 06:29 AM
Well timed posting.

Just rode over 700 miles this past weekend all on the highway, the vibration between 3800/4200 rpm @ approx. 75 mph was enough for me to sell my '14 RTL.

I'm going to call my local dealer this morning to have them check my belt alignment and tension followed by a laser alignment.

Took a brand new '15 RTL for a test ride last week, only slight vibration noted up and down through the shake zone (3800/4200) rpm.