PDA

View Full Version : New Member

88reynard
08-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Unless I am way off base I did not see a section for intros. I am from Pa. and have ridden bikes for almost 50 years.

I joined this and another Spyder forum to get as much info as possible on switching from a Honda GL1500 trike to a Spyder RT.

My wife and I are serious touring folks and have logged many miles on our 2 Goldwings (currently a trike). We just recently finished a 17day 6,985 mile trip.

While in Phoenix in Feb I rented a RT (as a surprise) for a day and we put 500 miles on it. She loved the Can Am and now I am contemplating a switch. I will be doing some searching of the website and most likely asking many questions as I already have a few.

So that is a bit of info. I'll update my profile shortly and try to fit into your community. Thanks for having me.

Motorcycledave
08-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Welcome To the bunch here.
I am guessing you will get all kinds of
input from this forum .
Enjoy, Ride Safe
Dave

Deanna777
08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
:welcome: to this site, ask questions and we are here to help

I had been on 2 wheeled motorcycles for 16 years as a passenger, then I took the Motorcycle Coarse, had a HD, traded it and got my first Spyder it was a 2012RTS-SE5 ( it had the 998 engine).

Had that for 2 years, then took a demo ride on a 2014RTS-SE6 in May ( Spyderfest, in Springfield, MO) I was thinking to my self " I got to have one," then in July I bought a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac.

The 14RTS-SE6 has a quiter engine, smoother ride, less fill-ups, Rotax 1330 Ace high-torque engine is configured with three in-line cylinders, 6 speed transmission,1200-W alternator, ECO mode smart assist., less trips to the dealership, maintance free.

You have a lot of power even if you ride 2-up, and if you pull a trailer. Good luck, keep us posted on what you get/and color.

Let the farkling, and smiles begin!

You will get a lot of people where ever you go, asking you questions about the spyder.
Deanna

Chupaca
08-09-2015, 11:02 AM
to both the spyder world and this know all see all spyder site..!! :2thumbs: with 500miles under your belt your a pro and have found the fun level....hope to see you soon out there...:ohyea::ohyea:

sidecars
08-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Welcome. I am just about a month in, and just about 2000 miles. I think I am just about over any fears in high speed bouncy corners and the like. You'll see that everyone here recommends the BajaRon Sway Bar and I just ordered mine the other day.

I am really enjoying my Spyder. I hope you find it as good a fit as I did/do.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113269&stc=1

GloryRyders
08-09-2015, 03:33 PM
:welcome: to the PARTY!!:yes:! ​!

bodymanpainter
08-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the forum, ask away with your questions and I'm sure you will
get plenty of answers.
The RT is a great ride and very safe and tons of fun to ride and tour the country
with. I am currently on my 3rd Spyder and loving it!
Toby

hdlongrod
08-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Welcome and congrats!

jcasey
08-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the zoo!!:yes::yes::yes:

Mick N
08-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Welcome!

I've also got c. 50 years of riding under my belt, started in 1970 with a BSA Thunderbolt and numerous other 2-wheelers over the years. Had 3 GoldWings... starting with the first one, the 1975 GL 1000 first year bare-bones ride... used to amaze people by putting the bike on the center-stand with the engine running and then stand a quarter on edge on the gas tank and rev the engine... and the quarter just stood there. Next was a 1980 GL 1100 Interstate (my fav!) and then a 1986 GL 1200 DX (all the bells and whistles). My pick of the litter would be the 1980, it fit me. Checked earlier this year, and the guy I sold it to may still have it... tempted to find out if he's still riding it or not. The new models are too tall and heavy for my short legs!

I got out of riding c 1997... rode for a leisurely four hours, on the way home pulled up to a stop, told my leg to take my left foot off the footpeg and put my foot on the ground... refused... again please... refused... third try was the charm, got'er down! I think it was my arthritis telling me that maybe it was time to stop riding. So I did.

Married in 1999. A surgical nurse of 30+ years. Told my history. She said she'd never ride with me. Ok.

But, I couldn't stay out the bike shops... in 2006, I saw something, asked about it... it's a Honda Big Ruckus 250cc automatic scooter. Test drove it, bought it... low profile and interstate capable. I could safely ride again, yeah! My wife wouldn't ride with me. Too bad. All the fun is mine!

I retired, she retired a few years later. Then one day she says she will ride. Shock! So she got acquainted with two-wheeling on the back of the BR... short trips around the neighborhood on lesser traveled streets at slow speed... next trip, upped it notch with more speed on wider neighborhood streets... next trip, real traffic on a 4-lane artery and 40-45 mph. She's liking it! So, the graduation ride... 15 miles/ 30+ minutes to Iron Pony on a variety of city streets, no problem. Did some aisle walking. Told her we were riding home on the OuterBelt. We did. On the off-ramp, she leaned forward and asked me if I knew it only took us 18 minutes. I asked her if she knew we were doing 80mph. Sold American. Now you know my story.

To answer the question. I prefer the GoldWing more than the Spyder... ride quality, handling, fuel/trunk capacity, etc. But they keep getting BIGGER and my riding buddy, Arthur, rules. So, the Spyder was a concession for me to be able to ride and to have my wife be comfortable when we rode together. But she can't ride anymore. It was fun for us for maybe 2 years. So, I can ride the Spyder comfortably for maybe 60-90 minutes before Arthur starts kicking my butt to the ground and then it's just me and the BR. But I don't think either of us are up to doing Daytona. But I'll quit when they pull my cold, dead hands off the grips.

Ah, for the days of riding straight through to Daytona for Bike Week.

Ride hard.

88reynard
08-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks a bunch folks. As I said to someone in a PM, I am just trying to learn all I can to make a decision. My wife and I have some long term plans that don't include taking on unnecessary debt. We will do our best to make it a fairly even swap with a bit of cash outlay or we won't do it.

Please don't misunderstand me I won't waste your time with maybes and silly questions. I just would like to learn the most I can.

Thanks Again for the Welcomes

RBS66
08-09-2015, 06:47 PM
:welcome:

Bob Denman
08-09-2015, 08:53 PM
:welcome: :nopic: Of your 'Wing? :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
08-09-2015, 09:33 PM

This is definitely the place to get some answers . . . or at least a lot of opinions!

Highwayman2013
08-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Ask away!

Buggy
08-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Welcome....you will love it!

Cruzr Joe
08-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the zoo!!:yes::yes::yes:

When i read the OP's title i thought he had some kind of surgery. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::(

Cruzr Joe

88reynard
08-10-2015, 04:33 AM
:welcome: :nopic: Of your 'Wing? :2thumbs:

Here's a photo of our Wing.

ARtraveler
08-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Purple Guy
08-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Welcome aboard!

This is a great place for all your inquires!