PDA

View Full Version : Shifting from reverse to first trick.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-08-2015, 03:42 PM
I didn't know until just a couple of weeks ago or so, when someone here said it works, that you can shift from reverse to first by just holding down the shift paddle. I thought it didn't work because I hadn't been holding the paddle down long enough. But, I can push the paddle down twice and shift from reverse to first faster than by holding the paddle.

But, here's what I found works neat. If you push down the shift paddle as you are backing up, when you apply the brake and come to stop the bike will shift into first very quickly. This maneuver saves a couple of seconds and saves pushing the paddle twice. It won't attempt to shift until you are stopped.

Not an earth shattering trick by any means, but one of those things that alleviates a smattering of frustration and enhances the enjoyment of ryding a Spyder. :yes:

pegasus1300
08-08-2015, 04:42 PM
thanks that is a good tip, BTW is it possible to adjust the paddle for tighter control. Mine seems to have a lot of throw to make anything happen.

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 04:54 PM
:D I'm gonna have to try that "hold back on the paddle, and tap the brakes", dance with mine! :thumbup: Thanks.

missouriboy
08-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a great trick for reversing directions much more quickly. Neat!

Now here's a little difference I've found in my New vs Old machines... it takes only ONE poke on the paddle to go all the way from 1st to reverse, and vice-versa, therefore I can NOT shift into Neutral at all.

So the only way I've found to get into neutral is to kill and restart the engine, then shut it off again without shifting out of neutral.

Do all SE6 models shift like this? :dontknow:

Pampurrs
08-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Nice! :clap: Thank you for the tip :thumbup:

Pam

tehrlich
08-09-2015, 09:13 AM

Now here's a little difference I've found in my New vs Old machines... it takes only ONE poke on the paddle to go all the way from 1st to reverse, and vice-versa, therefore I can NOT shift into Neutral at all.

So the only way I've found to get into neutral is to kill and restart the engine, then shut it off again without shifting out of neutral.

Yes! I would like to know the same thing!

3 Wheel Rider
08-09-2015, 09:15 AM

No!!! I dont have to turn off the engine or kill it on my 2014 RTL SE6. If I want to go into reverse from first or nuetral, I just hold the reverse button down and then simply downshift with the paddle shifter one time. To go from reverse to first, I just have to upshift with the paddle shifter one time; it automatically bypasses nuetral. To go from first to nuetral, simply downshift one time... nothing else has to be done

missouriboy
08-09-2015, 09:32 AM
No!!! I dont have to turn off the engine or kill it on my 2014 RTL SE6. If I want to go into reverse from first or nuetral, I just hold the reverse button down and then simply downshift with the paddle shifter one time. To go from reverse to first, I just have to upshift with the paddle shifter one time; it automatically bypasses neutral. To go from first to nuetral, simply downshift one time... nothing else has to be doneAfter I made the above post, I tried to think it out some more... maybe I was holding the reverse button while downshifting from 1st. I'll try again without touching the reverse button to see if that puts her in neutral. But I'm out of state right now and won't be home until Aug. 25th.

To go from reverse to first, I just have to upshift with the paddle shifter one time; it automatically bypasses neutral. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... on my OLD machine it took TWO paddle-pokes, the first of which would leave you in neutral. But now I don't get that choice. Which is perfectly OK as long as there is some way to get into neutral when desired.

tehrlich
08-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Is there a way to go to neutral while you're driving? SE6

3 Wheel Rider
08-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Not with an SE6 while moving. When stopped you should already be in first gear so all you have to do is downshift one time with the paddle shifter

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-09-2015, 10:01 AM

Surely you can't shift into reverse without holding down the R button, can you? So if you downshift from 1st it should go only into neutral. Right? If you can shift into reverse without holding down the R button there's something wrong.

On my '14 to shift from 1st to reverse I have to hold the paddle down for a second or two. A quick poke isn't enough. In fact often when I come to a stop I have to push the paddle twice to get into neutral. First one doesn't always take.

missouriboy
08-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Review posts 7 & 8.

billybovine
08-09-2015, 11:10 AM
On my '14 to shift from 1st to reverse I have to hold the paddle down for a second or two. A quick poke isn't enough. In fact often when I come to a stop I have to push the paddle twice to get into neutral. First one doesn't always take.

Did you get a new one???

JayBros
08-09-2015, 11:13 AM
On my Spyder to shift from first to Neutral I simply tap the downshift lever once. No need to kill the engine or push the Reverse button or do anything else.

billybovine
08-09-2015, 11:13 AM
When double shifting on my 09 it was very fast. Double shifting on my 13 is stupid slow and I agree with waswinger not worth the effort. Just a habit leftover from the 09 I need to break.

SpyderAnn01
08-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Surely you can't shift into reverse without holding down the R button, can you? So if you downshift from 1st it should go only into neutral. Right? If you can shift into reverse without holding down the R button there's something wrong.

Did you get a new one???

A new Spyder or a typo????

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-09-2015, 12:57 PM
A new Spyder or a typo????
Neither! Totally & completely a slip of the brain!

stillriding
08-09-2015, 01:25 PM
:agree:
No!!! I dont have to turn off the engine or kill it on my 2014 RTL SE6. If I want to go into reverse from first or nuetral, I just hold the reverse button down and then simply downshift with the paddle shifter one time. To go from reverse to first, I just have to upshift with the paddle shifter one time; it automatically bypasses nuetral. To go from first to nuetral, simply downshift one time... nothing else has to be done