PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that small...!!

Chupaca
08-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Looks so much bigger in the ads...:hun:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113188&stc=1

BikerDoc
08-08-2015, 12:29 PM
It doesn't exactly look like a 5 Star crash rating vehicle.....

wiredgeorge
08-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Since the ELIO has three wheels, it isn't subject to automotive safety regs. It will be registered as either a motorcycle, auto-cycle (like here in Texas) or a trike but NOT as a car. You will actually have to wear a helmet to drive one in some areas I think.

cuznjohn
08-08-2015, 12:55 PM
wow i thought you were talking about me

PrairieSpyder
08-08-2015, 01:04 PM
It looks like a peddle car!

coz
08-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Looks so much bigger in the ads...:hun:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113188&stc=1:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 04:55 PM
To be fair; that IS a full-sized Cadillac lurking behind it... :shocked:

Dragonfly
08-08-2015, 05:41 PM
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! nuff said.

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I suppose that this is proof that at least ONE of these mythical creatures exist! :2thumbs:

Now that I know this; I'm booking a Unicorn hunt! :roflblack:

AMTJIM
08-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Aren't they still concept and not production, many invested and are still waiting? Yet another Mission Motorcycles or Excelsior Henderson. Seen many FB peeps on the Can Am page say it's the Spyders biggest competition...ummmm riiiiiiight. Where is it?

grumpybob
08-08-2015, 07:32 PM
I suppose that this is proof that at least ONE of these mythical creatures exist! :2thumbs:

Now that I know this; I'm booking a Unicorn hunt! :roflblack: There are three in existence 2 are made of clay thou. I saw some unicorn back in '66 in Nam. There are some still there in the Central Highlands. Go ahead & look it up.

cptjam
08-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Saw the working car at SEMA last year.

jaherbst
08-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Saw the working car at SEMA last year.

It does exist I was in one at the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale AZ. I was in the front (tandem seating) and Camille was in the back. I thought it to be quite nice and would buy one over a slingshot any day.

Jack

Roadster Renovations
08-08-2015, 09:29 PM
It does exist I was in one at the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale AZ. I was in the front (tandem seating) and Camille was in the back. I thought it to be quite nice and would buy one over a slingshot any day.

Jack

That's exactly what I was thinking, Jack! We rode the Governor's Ride last week and had a few Slingshots in front of us. I was not impressed. Very long drive belt system (worse than ours), no protection from rocks (that will be an issue) The swing arm is only one sided (this will cause extreme stress on one bearing and will be a future issue). They are too low to the ground (poor visibility). Of course I really didn't look it over well or I could have found more. Oh, yeah, very minimal storage. The RT probably has more.

I would probably by an Elio except I have a Geo Tracker with a Suzuki engine and a manual trans. It should last a good long time. I plan on eventually servicing the Elio's if they hit well enough. I made my Spyder lift adaptors to easily lift a 3 wheeler like that.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-08-2015, 11:58 PM
The swing arm is only one sided (this will cause extreme stress on one bearing and will be a future issue).
I would say not necessarily. Goldwings have had one sided swing arms since 2001.

Roadster Renovations
08-09-2015, 06:25 AM
I would say not necessarily. Goldwings have had one sided swing arms since 2001.

That is true, but you are talking quite a bit more weight than a GW. You may be right, time will tell!

Bob Denman
08-09-2015, 07:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iE8CJwXSPRs

Bob Denman
08-09-2015, 07:11 AM
I saw some unicorn back in '66 in Nam. There are some still there in the Central Highlands. Go ahead & look it up.

:D I'll bet that BigFoot keeps them hitched to his Chariot! :roflblack:

Firefly
08-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Elio will just keep bilking peeps for doe payments and never deliver. That's their barely legal scam. They've said for years now that it will be in production 'next year'. I feel sorry for anyone that plunked money down on one of these. Many out here could build one of these themselves before Elio will ever deliver one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chupaca
08-09-2015, 10:12 AM
That is true, but you are talking quite a bit more weight than a GW. You may be right, time will tell!

Keep in mind that goldwing lean into the turns....:lecturef_smilie:much less pressure on those bearings...

bscrive
08-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Keep in mind that goldwing lean into the turns....:lecturef_smilie:much less pressure on those bearings...

Do any of you realize that cars are only bolted on one side and have been for over a hundred years????? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack: I don't see any problems.

Roadster Renovations
08-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Do any of you realize that cars are only bolted on one side and have been for over a hundred years????? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack: I don't see any problems.

Well, I replace hub bearings all the time. And the trend I am seeing in the auto repair industry is for everyone to buy junk metal bearings from China. This makes the cost less but the consumer is the one that gets burnt.

Want to bet whether that bearing is American steel or Chinese junk steel??

btw: I have owned my own auto repair business since 1999 so I have a pretty good idea about stuff like this.