PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis camp grounds &can am service

kbwitt
08-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Friends invited us to come stay at their Sturgis camp ground. $45.00 a person a night, there was 5 of us on the site. I thought wow high guaging but wanted to get the Sturgis experience so wife and I went.Turns out friend paid $145. for a week bought way inadvance.
The camp grounds was very nice, lots of showers and never ran out of hot water . Big bar with alot of free entertainment , free ride mechanical bull, body painting, top less contest, very big out door stage with bands, a pay for zip line. SO I FELT LIKE ALL IN ALL $45 A NIGHT WAS OK ( it was Sturgis bike week).
Did not see very many can am, did see a a group of 49 sling shots go by that looked great such a big group.
STURGIS WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE SO GLAD we were ABLE TO ATTEND AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT.
Great trip so far started in Phoenix now in Upper Peninsula of Michigan only problem so far is one can am dealer would not squeeze me in for a back tire replacement. Thinking about Harley trike love my 2014 RT but want to travel and afraid of lack of service available. No independt cycle repairs will touch it.
Kenn

murphybrown
08-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Friends invited us to come stay at their Sturgis camp ground. $45.00 a person a night, there was 5 of us on the site. I thought wow high guaging but wanted to get the Sturgis experience so wife and I went.Turns out friend paid $145. for a week bought way inadvance.
The camp grounds was very nice, lots of showers and never ran out of hot water . Big bar with alot of free entertainment , free ride mechanical bull, body painting, top less contest, very big out door stage with bands, a pay for zip line. SO I FELT LIKE ALL IN ALL $45 A NIGHT WAS OK ( it was Sturgis bike week).
Did not see very many can am, did see a a group of 49 sling shots go by that looked great such a big group.
STURGIS WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE SO GLAD we were ABLE TO ATTEND AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT.
Great trip so far started in Phoenix now in Upper Peninsula of Michigan only problem so far is one can am dealer would not squeeze me in for a back tire replacement. Thinking about Harley trike love my 2014 RT but want to travel and afraid of lack of service available. No independt cycle repairs will touch it.
Kenn
I have now traveled close to 100k all over US and Canada on a Spyder and have had a couple issues. Never had a problem finding help when needed. Now sometimes a dealer just can not work me in...in cases where that has happened it is not a "desperate" situation, but one that I could have taken care of earlier or have time to get to another dealer (look where I'm headed and actually call and make an appointment). Yes, I guess it would be nice, if folks would change their world to accommodate my needs/wants but for me I need to pay attention to my machine and plan accordingly. And a back tire replacement is not a 15 min. project...just sayin'. Also disagree I have had twice independent cycle repair fix my Spyder. latest was a few days ago when the fender support broke in Kelowna BC...Can-Am dealer did not have part (take at least a week to get from Quebec) nor a welder...sent me next door to another motorcycle shop and in 1 hour I was back on road. For me attitude controls my altitude..:yes:

GOZFST
08-08-2015, 09:19 AM
It's the 75th Anniversary of the Sturgis Rally, they have predicted 1.3 MILLION people, hotels are going for $400 a night, my neighbors rented their house for $4,000 for 5 days. $45 a night for all you describe was THE bargain of the Rally.It sounds like you got your moneys worth. You could have camped for free most anywhere in the Nat'l Forest, of course no water, showers or titty show.As far as the dealer goes, I always figure great if they will "squeeze" me in, but don't expect them to bump someone else for my lack of planning.

Larry rt
08-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Sounds like a great trip!
Regarding service, the U.P is like being in the wilderness, surprised you even found a dealer. Drop down to the lower half,plenty of dealers, I think one of them could fit you in.Call around if you have the dealer listing on your phone.Make sure you tell them you are traveling from out of town . Some great riding down here, especially on the west side.Good luck and welcome to Michigan!
By the way ,I traveled around the country last year and had to get,oil changes,tire replacement and a gear shift link fixed,never had an issue getting in.

Chupaca
08-08-2015, 11:00 AM
download the corresponding app...my spyder for apple or spyder codes for android. There you will find dealers nationwide and members of spyders to the rescue who can help you along the way. Have never found a problem finding help and found harley's always needing more help anyway...:thumbup:

JkRbbt
08-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Glad you got the "Sturgis Experience"! :D As far as the Can-Am service, I sure wish they had a better network. My wife worked for a H/D dealer for about 5 years and their attitude was, if you are "on the road", you get priority. I believe that is a very prevalent attitude in the Harley network. I don't know if that comes from corporate, but it is much appreciated when you are out on the road. I know, if I am home in my easy chair and you, Mr/Ms Outoftowner, need service, I don't mind waiting a bit! YMMV! :)

kbwitt
08-08-2015, 11:41 AM
When I left I had 4,000 miles on bike now have 7,300. My fault thinking a tire would go for more miles than that. I do think its bad when one dealer has no tires, one I contacted had 3 tires. I did call days in advance and told them I could be there in a couple of days if they could get me in then or a day or two. No sorry just a booked for next two weeks, I figured she was having a bad day and just tolder thanks anyway.
Tried 3 independets said know nothing about them and did not want to tr|y working on one.
Kenn
Ps I agree with the camp ground I stayed at was very nice and reasonable.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-08-2015, 07:30 PM
:gaah:......I just made TWO custom BRAKE pedal mods for TWO people who I didn't know now from a " hole in the wall ", I made them for ..." FREE " ....and I even paid the shipping to them....................and you are Happy that your " FRIENDS " ONLY CHARGED YOU $ 45 PER NIGHT PER PERSON ........on something that they paid less than $21.00 per day for 7 or more people...............I'm glad they are your FRIENDS......................they sure as H*LL wouldn't be mine :gaah: :lecturef_smilie:........Mike

kbwitt
08-08-2015, 10:34 PM
:gaah:......I just made TWO custom BRAKE pedal mods for TWO people who I didn't know now from a " hole in the wall ", I made them for ..." FREE " ....and I even paid the shipping to them....................and you are Happy that your " FRIENDS " ONLY CHARGED YOU $ 45 PER NIGHT PER PERSON ........on something that they paid less than $21.00 per day for 7 or more people...............I'm glad they are your FRIENDS......................they sure as H*LL wouldn't be mine :gaah: :lecturef_smilie:........Mike

MY freinds did not charge me $45. The camp grounds did. I do not feel I was over charged by the camp grounds because of the facility and entertainment. Our freinds bought a newtent,two cots and two sleeping bags, brought them in their trailer and had it all set up for us.
Since you are so kind with your brake pedel extensions please email me for my address. I would like one of your brake pedals.
Thanks Kenn

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-08-2015, 11:48 PM
MY freinds did not charge me $45. The camp grounds did. I do not feel I was over charged by the camp grounds because of the facility and entertainment. Our freinds bought a newtent,two cots and two sleeping bags, brought them in their trailer and had it all set up for us.
Since you are so kind with your brake pedel extensions please email me for my address. I would like one of your brake pedals.
Thanks Kenn
Dear Kenn: I don't think I'm the only one who read the first version of your Post and got the same understanding that I did.......The explanation above sheds new light in areas that were dark before........I commented on the facts as written the first time.....Mike :thumbup:

kbwitt
08-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Dear Kenn: I don't think I'm the only one who read the fipaper version of your Post and got the same understanding that I did.......The explanation above sheds new light in areas that were dark before........I commented on the facts as written the first time.....Mike :thumbup:

Sorry I agrea I did a very poor job of writing, I do that alot. Never seam to put on paper what I mean.to get across.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Sorry I agrea I did a very poor job of writing, I do that alot. Never seam to put on paper what I mean.to get across.

I apologize also, I may have come across as Harsh in my post but that wasn't my intent either.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::th umbup:........Mike

pitzerwm
08-09-2015, 04:21 PM
I apologize also, I may have come across as Harsh in my post but that wasn't my intent either.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::th umbup:........Mike

Mike harsh, OMG who would have thought :roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Mike harsh, OMG who would have thought :roflblack:

Dammit Bill I'm trying to play NICE :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.......... ......Mike :roflblack:

pitzerwm
08-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Dammit Bill I'm trying to play NICE :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.......... ......Mike :roflblack:

You're always nice, people just miss the sweetheart in your tone. :clap: