PDA

View Full Version : farewell

enigmatic biker
08-07-2015, 12:14 PM
I belong to 3 motorcycle forums (including this one) and have participated in thread discussions for over six years. Of all of the forums I belong to, I must say that the that interactions with several (ok, just four) of the "senior" members of this one have been some of the least pleasant I have ever encountered. One of the most enjoyable aspects of riding is the camaraderie and fellowship between riders, but it seems that just about anytime I try to contribute something to a discussion, I am made to feel foolish and insignificant by some old dog who has been riding better and longer, or has seen and done everything worth mentioning about motorcycling and no one could ever contribute more than they can.

I don't feel the need to constantly justify my abilities and experiences to self-appointed judges, so for that reason I am editing my profile and taking a hiatus from the forum. I would rather spend more time riding and enjoy my bikes than sitting around on the front porch in a rocking chair talking about the good old days like the grumpy old neighbor man who is always chasing kids off his lawn.

Someone once said here to a newbie trying to decide whether to buy a Spyder or not, to not judge the machine to harshly by what they read in the posts because most the time all anyone wants to do here is complain and that those complaining represent a very small cross-section of happy Spyder owners. True that!

So I will lurk and glean but I will refrain from further comment.

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 12:32 PM
:shocked: Nothing best wishes for you! I hope that we meet out there on the highway! :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
08-07-2015, 01:23 PM
sorry to see you go, but chasing the neighbors kids is a lot of fun

wyliec
08-07-2015, 03:44 PM
I must be slipping. This is the first post of yours that I've seen, unless you've changed your screen name. Good luck to you.

Pennyrick
08-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Four is a pretty small sample size from which to decide to be a non-participant. You've averaged about a post a month since joining and I guess I've missed them all.

This is a very knowledgable group and sometimes all that knowledge just can't be contained.

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Of all of the forums I belong to, I must say that the that interactions with several (ok, just four) of the "senior" members of this one have been some of the least pleasant I have ever encountered. One of the most enjoyable aspects of riding is the camaraderie and fellowship between riders, but it seems that just about anytime I try to contribute something to a discussion, I am made to feel foolish and insignificant by some old dog who has been riding better and longer, or has seen and done everything worth mentioning about motorcycling and no one could ever contribute more than they can.

I don't feel the need to constantly justify my abilities and experiences to self-appointed judges, so for that reason I am editing my profile and taking a hiatus from the forum. .

;) I decided to go back, and do some homework...
After all; we're only talking about the 17 previous posts of yours...
Other than some discussions about the need for quarter-mile times; I just didn't see where anyone tried to make you feel "foolish and insignificant"... :dontknow:
I'm sorry that you feel this way... it's obvious that nobody will be able to change your mind...

mowin
08-07-2015, 07:51 PM
;) I decided to go back, and do some homework...
After all; we're only talking about the 17 previous posts of yours...
Other than some discussions about the need for quarter-mile times; I just didn't see where anyone tried to make you feel "foolish and insignificant"... :dontknow:
I'm sorry that you feel this way... it's obvious that nobody will be able to change your mind...

I guess he never heard of the "block" feature.:dontknow:

Dudley
08-07-2015, 09:03 PM
I have been on SL since our first Spyder in 2008. Never saw any of your posts and I look at SL 7 days a week. I could have missed one, who knows. Your posts were so few you must have read a LOT! But, no matter, I wish you the best. Wouldn't want to ask you to stick around and miss out on riding all your bikes (note plural). Dang I am happy to have ONE! lol Happy Trails to you, sir. Life is short, spend it being happy.

IMHO, I might add, your input today sounds just like the ones you mention as the reason for leaving the forum. I little sarcastic and "in your face" to us all.

Chupaca
08-07-2015, 11:13 PM
sorry your dropping back to lurking. This is a tough place if you don't understand it. I myself have stepped aside a time ir two but found that this is still the best place in the world for all things spyders and more. The more part may be your problem but you will see that it is all that regardless of the odd nut....:thumbup:

kep-up
08-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Lord, have mercy.
I am saddened some folks skin is so thin that a total of 4 sarcastic comments/posts would make them go away.
After all, this IS a public internet forum, for pete's sake!

vided
08-08-2015, 06:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFKT82HZxM

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Lord, have mercy.
I am saddened some folks skin is so thin that a total of 4 sarcastic comments/posts would make them go away.
After all, this IS a public internet forum, for pete's sake!

:agree: Wearing your heart "so close to your hide", usually ends up like this... :banghead:

vided
08-08-2015, 08:01 AM
:agree: Wearing your heart "so close to your hide", usually ends up like this... :banghead:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113178&stc=1

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 09:17 AM
...I even went back through all 10 threads in which he posted...
Other than one mildly dismissive comment when he asked about quarter-mile times of the RT, and an admonishment for asking a completely unrelated question, in a thread about belt vibrations; I see nothing that should have been remotely able to upset anyone.
Shoot; I get worse than that on a daily basis! :D

PrairieSpyder
08-08-2015, 12:53 PM
I hope you'll enjoy the show as a lurker. Good luck and good ryding!

PrairieSpyder
08-08-2015, 12:55 PM
...I even went back through all 10 threads in which he posted...
Other than one mildly dismissive comment when he asked about quarter-mile times of the RT, and an admonishment for asking a completely unrelated question, in a thread about belt vibrations; I see nothing that should have been remotely able to upset anyone.

You have numbers working for you there, Bob!

pitzerwm
08-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Enigmatic, I live in the Tri-Cities if you are on this side and want to get together, email me. pitzer@williampitzer.com

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Yeah, but you deserve it!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 05:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5mD6c3k_-h0

vided
08-09-2015, 05:17 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113254&stc=1

Bob Denman
08-09-2015, 06:52 AM
I was concerned about what he posted, because I didn't honestly remember if I might have been one of those, who dissed him... :shocked:
(I didn't)

kep-up
08-09-2015, 11:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFKT82HZxM
I do thoroughly enjoy the old DooWoop music. (no matter why it's posted) :clap:

:2thumbs: :D:ohyea::thumbup::yes::bowdown::cheers::)

Cruzr Joe
08-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Four is a pretty small sample size from which to decide to be a non-participant. You've averaged about a post a month since joining and I guess I've missed them all.

This is a very knowledgable group and sometimes all that knowledge just can't be contained.

:agree:

Cruzr Joe

ARtraveler
08-10-2015, 01:00 PM
The first thing I did when this was posted was to go back and look at all the OP's posts. I saw no instance where any of the members went on any kind of attack.

Sorry to see any one go over perceived "attacks." IMO--there were not any in this situation.

SpyderAnn01
08-10-2015, 01:11 PM
He said farewell and obviously he meant it.

enigmatic biker
08-11-2015, 06:53 PM
PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER". Groucho Marks

To all you posting counters, the issues that prompted my decision were in the form of private message replies to comments I made in public forums. They were malicious and hateful and an obvious attempt to "bully" the new guy. I am also fully aware that there are those lacking in manners or courage who will say things in a blog/forum that they would never dare saying face to face in person. I am not one of those, so cast aspersions in my direction if it makes you feel better, but I have been a member of this forum for over a year, and I simply do not feel welcomed here.

My guess is that there are a very large percentage of forum members who are relatively silent and prefer to lurk and not participate because of similar incidences. All I am saying is it doesn't feel good to me here, so if that offends the 99.8% of you who are not jerks, I apologize to you. My retreat should be of no great matter one way or another. I just simply wanted to speak my peace and say why. Again, peace out.

Pampurrs
08-11-2015, 06:57 PM
PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER". Groucho Marks

Sorry you feel that way. Best wishes to you, whatever you decide to do. I hope you find your place in the universe. :thumbup:

Pam

JerryB
08-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Hi biker,

Re: peace out.

And peace to you, sir.

There is simply no reason for any nasty PM's; they are uncalled for.

Take care wherever the road/future takes you,

Jerry Baumchen

pitzerwm
08-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Any stupid PMs are uncalled for, but based on what you have posted and the posted responses, it doesn't make any sense that anyone would jump on you for it. From what I have seen on here is that from time to time everyone is nailed for something.

I was new in Nov. and I posted a few controversial threads and while people disagreed with my view, no one jumped on me. Check out "Seatbelts on a Spyder"

Whether its here or any place in life, when someone that isn't putting money in your pocket or you are not sleeping with, gives you their opinion that isn't solicited, either think it or tell them, "your opinion don't mean crap".

MRH
08-12-2015, 12:15 AM
This reads to me as trolling.

It isn't really meaningful to say goodbye if you haven't posted enough for anybody to know who you are.

Pirate looks at --
08-12-2015, 12:20 AM
See ya!

http://youtu.be/hwYcsMiB2UM

ThreeWheels
08-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Isn't this an example of what the Original Poster is complaining about ?
He feels the need to leave because his posts were beat on, and now we have people reviewing all his posts and telling him he's wrong for feeling that way.
Who knows what may have happened in Private Messages, or what the OP's sensitivity level is. Harassment is in the eye of the receiver.
I understand, I only post about once a week now for similar reasons.
One small point...............It's only a forum. If posts get you that upset, then the OP has the right solution. Better to stay away from these posts and live in the real world. It's way too much work to get into an argument in cyber space.
After all, if your post count is higher than your mileage, then even with the best of intentions, some of your posts are bound to insult someone or other.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Hi biker,

Re: peace out.
And peace to you, sir.
There is simply no reason for any nasty PM's; they are uncalled for.
Take care wherever the road/future takes you,
Jerry Baumchen
:agree: :2thumbs:

Pirate looks at --
08-12-2015, 07:33 AM
He feels the need to leave because his posts were beat on, and now we have people reviewing all his posts and telling him he's wrong for feeling that way.
Who knows what may have happened in Private Messages, or what the OP's sensitivity level is. Harassment is in the eye of the receiver.
One small point...............It's only a forum. If posts get you that upset, then the OP has the right solution. Better to stay away from these posts and live in the real world. It's way too much work to get into an argument in cyber space.
After all, if your post count is higher than your mileage, then even with the best of intentions, some of your posts are bound to insult someone or other.

I think most people are expressing their regret, and wish him well.

DrewNJ
08-12-2015, 07:44 AM

Pirate looks at --
08-12-2015, 09:31 AM

To all you posting counters, the issues that prompted my decision were in the form of private message replies to comments I made in public forums. They were malicious and hateful and an obvious attempt to "bully" the new guy. I am also fully aware that there are those lacking in manners or courage who will say things in a blog/forum that they would never dare saying face to face in person. I am not one of those, so cast aspersions in my direction if it makes you feel better, but I have been a member of this forum for over a year, and I simply do not feel welcomed here.

My guess is that there are a very large percentage of forum members who are relatively silent and prefer to lurk and not participate because of similar incidences. All I am saying is it doesn't feel good to me here, so if that offends the 99.8% of you who are not jerks, I apologize to you. My retreat should be of no great matter one way or another. I just simply wanted to speak my peace and say why. Again, peace out.

i have been a member of this forum for two years. Any PMs I have received have been very nice and considerate. There is no excuse for people sending malicious, and hateful PMs, and you should out them for it. I can guess who a couple of them might be. I have those people on "ignore" as they never have anything to say that is worth reading. They just like to hear themselves type:roflblack:. I am sure that won't stop PMs from the nasty ones, but because I have them on ignore, I don't read their junk, I don't respond to their junk and they forget I am on here. Wish you well.

MRH
08-12-2015, 09:32 AM

The OP started this thread, and doing so invites the opinions of others. If you really want to walk away, then you walk away. There was a clear and reasonable expectation that this post would incite strong reactions, and it has.

Yes, feelings are important, but our feelings don't necessarily make a situation true. Harassment is not in the eye of the receiver, it has a slightly more objective definition:

1.to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.

Here is another definition, this time of a personality type:

1.denoting or pertaining to a personality type or behavior marked by the expression of negative emotions in passive, indirect ways, asthrough manipulation or noncooperation:

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Any PMs I have received have been very nice and considerate. There is no excuse for people sending malicious, and hateful PMs, and you should out them for it. .
Private Messages: They are very useful for several reasons:
1. You wish to exchange information with someone, and it doesn't need to be publicly broadcast.
2. You're telling a REALLY funny joke, and it would surely get you banned! (Right, Cuzn?)
3. You have a question that perhaps doesn't fit into an existing thread easily.
4. You're a real chicken-:cus: :cus:-hole, who doesn't want folks to see how poorly you can behave...

I normally try to avoid #4... :D

wyliec
08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Private Messages: They are very useful for several reasons:
1. You wish to exchange information with someone, and it doesn't need to be publicly broadcast.
2. You're telling a REALLY funny joke, and it would surely get you banned! (Right, Cuzn?)
3. You have a question that perhaps doesn't fit into an existing thread easily.
4. You're a real chicken-:cus: :cus:-hole, who doesn't want folks to see how poorly you can behave...

I normally try to avoid #4... :D

I hesitate to tell you this; but, I received a P.M. a while ago from someone who's been placed on a pedestal here. One of his friends interceded, and told him he was wrong. There was no apology, and I now consider this person a number 4; but, everyone here still has him on that pedestal. In case you're wondering, he doesn't live south of NYS.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 10:05 AM
PM me some more details... :thumbup:

wyliec
08-12-2015, 10:17 AM
PM me some more details... :thumbup:

I'm going somewhere now. When I get back.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 10:20 AM
:thumbup: :bbq::bbq::bbq:

Pirate looks at --
08-12-2015, 10:30 AM
I hesitate to tell you this; but, I received a P.M. a while ago from someone who's been placed on a pedestal here. One of his friends interceded, and told him he was wrong. There was no apology, and I now consider this person a number 4; but, everyone here still has him on that pedestal. In case you're wondering, he doesn't live south of NYS.

I don't think anyone here is on a pedestal? If you put them there you can knock them off!

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 10:36 AM
:agree: There's only room for Lamont on the pedestal. nojoke

wyliec
08-12-2015, 12:25 PM
P.M. sent.

So, do you still stick to what you said in #4? It's rhetorical, and you don't need to respond.

wyliec
08-12-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't think anyone here is on a pedestal? If you put them there you can knock them off!

Believe me when I say that I've never put anyone on a pedestal.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 12:44 PM
:D So Don Quixote; you enjoy a good episode of "Windmill Toppling"? :D

Thanks for the PM; I think that you caught him on an "off-day".

spydaman60
08-12-2015, 01:25 PM
After all, if your post count is higher than your mileage, then even with the best of intentions, some of your posts are bound to insult someone or other.steve, i agree to some point, but if this is the case, and he's that sensitive, why not just walk away and not post something that's going to stir up the beehive?
just saying!!

wyliec
08-12-2015, 02:26 PM
steve, i agree to some point, but if this is the case, and he's that sensitive, why not just walk away and not post something that's going to stir up the beehive?
just saying!!

If something is bothering you, don't you like to get it out?

wyliec
08-12-2015, 02:29 PM
:D So Don Quixote; you enjoy a good episode of "Windmill Toppling"? :D

Thanks for the PM; I think that you caught him on an "off-day".

Bob,

I'm going to let this go because I know that there are times when you and I will never agree; plus, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Bob Denman
08-12-2015, 02:44 PM
I understand... :thumbup:
We may not agree ALL of the time; but there's still a fair amount of common ground! :D

Magdave
08-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Hmmm considering some of the heated threads I have been a part of I have never received what I considered a hateful PM. A caution here or there but most were positive support or request for info. You would think I would have gotten more hate mail than "0" . I think we can put a fork in this thread the poster never contributed much and seems like a

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/6/12/1339518379773/TROLLS---1992-008.jpg

To me