PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha think??

Madrebel
08-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Just curious, When BRP's patent expires on the Spyder do you think some of the other big names will jump in on this market? Honda won't even build their own trike despite hundreds of riders converting the Goldwing. And,exactly when does BRP's patent expire?

What do y'all think? ;)

ARtraveler
08-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Just curious, When BRP's patent expires on the Spyder do you think some of the other big names will jump in on this market? Honda won't even build their own trike despite hundreds of riders converting the Goldwing. And,exactly when does BRP's patent expire?

What do y'all think? ;)

Patents give the owner exclusive right to manufacture and sell a patented item or to use a process for 20 years. I don't know when the original patent was filed, but am thinking we are about half way through the time period.

Things change so quickly these days, I do not think that will be an issue. A slight change from the current patent and Honda or others could have a similar vehicle on the road tomorrow.

The Slingshot from Polaris is an example.

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that they've got YEARS left on them...
Are they allowed to renew them, in order to maintain their advantage in the market? :dontknow:
The other manufacturers would have to come up with a major "re-tweeking" of the basic design; in order to not be just as just another copycat wannabee... :D

ARtraveler
08-07-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that they've got YEARS left on them...
Are they allowed to renew them, in order to maintain their advantage in the market? :dontknow:
The other manufacturers would have to come up with a major "re-tweeking" of the basic design; in order to not be just as just another copycat wannabee... :D

Since Spyder started production in 2007 or so--I am guessing start time would be somewhere around then.

Not renewable that I am aware of. Usually a 20 year head start is sufficient.

Not much of a tweak is necessary to get a different patent.

Example: The Awl for All--hand stiching awl that used to be in the ads of every magazine. They cost about $2.00 in the day. They instantly had a competitor--the Speedy Stitcher. The difference--the spool that held the stitching thread was outside and above the handle on the Awl for All, the spool was in the handle on the Speedy Stitcher. Other than that, they were exactly the same. Both had separate patents.

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 12:22 PM
:shocked: Thanks, D; I didn't know that it was so easy to find a way around an existing design...

AMTJIM
08-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Trikes are not patented, Can-Am may have patented some of their designs/parts, but anyone can make a trike...like anyone can make a motorcycle, jet ski, quad, sidexside.

Madrebel
08-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Trikes are not patented, Can-Am may have patented some of their designs/parts, but anyone can make a trike...like anyone can make a motorcycle, jet ski, quad, sidexside.

Sure, but those designs have been around for years. I'm probably wrong but I was thinking it was about ten years.
I would think if they could somebody would have tried to give BRP a run for it. I really don't know. Maybe the other manufacturers don't think the market would justify all "their" R&D.

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 12:45 PM
I seem to recall that BRP sells perhaps 7,000 Spyders per yea r now...(that number may be WAY off...)
With such a small piece of the market; it's tough to justify jumping into it with a heavy capital investment. :shocked:

SPYD3R
08-07-2015, 01:03 PM
A PATTERN IS GOOD FOR 17 YEARS.... OR 15%, WHICHEVER COMES 1st.....
ANY/ALL OTHER COMPANIES, CAN TAKE A SPYD3R AND CHANGE IT BY 15% AND THE PATTERN OFFICE WILL SIGN THEM UP FOR A NEW PATTERN....
I'M SURE ALL THE OTHER RECREATIONAL MOTORIZED COMPANIES HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE SALES FIGURES FOR BRP's SPYD3RS.... POLARIS DIDN'T TAKE LONG TO FIGURE OUT THAT THEY NEEDED TO BE IN THE 3 WHEELED MARKET PLACE... AND RUMORS ARE ABOUND THAT OTHERS WILL BE COMING OUT WITH THEIR OWN VERSIONS OF A 3 WHEELED VEHICLE WITH 2 WHEELS UP FRONT....
KEEP WATCHING, IT'S COMING
dp
SPYD3R F3-S

Madrebel
08-07-2015, 01:25 PM
A PATTERN IS GOOD FOR 17 YEARS.... OR 15%, WHICHEVER COMES 1st.....
ANY/ALL OTHER COMPANIES, CAN TAKE A SPYD3R AND CHANGE IT BY 15% AND THE PATTERN OFFICE WILL SIGN THEM UP FOR A NEW PATTERN....
I'M SURE ALL THE OTHER RECREATIONAL MOTORIZED COMPANIES HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE SALES FIGURES FOR BRP's SPYD3RS.... POLARIS DIDN'T TAKE LONG TO FIGURE OUT THAT THEY NEEDED TO BE IN THE 3 WHEELED MARKET PLACE... AND RUMORS ARE ABOUND THAT OTHERS WILL BE COMING OUT WITH THEIR OWN VERSIONS OF A 3 WHEELED VEHICLE WITH 2 WHEELS UP FRONT....
KEEP WATCHING, IT'S COMING
dp
SPYD3R F3-S

Good info! Now, wonder how all that works since they are a Canadian Co? Getting into international law now??
This is too much thunkin for me, my head hurts....:)

JerryB
08-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: I didn't know that it was so easy to find a way around an existing design..

The law firm that assists you in getting your patent is the same law firm that will assist you in getting around some other patent.

It is what it is. Ask me how I know,

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 02:22 PM
It is what it is. Ask me how I know,

:shocked: Okay; I'll play... ;)
Jerry,
How DO you know this to be true? :D

AMTJIM
08-07-2015, 02:25 PM
A wider front and lowered CG via Honda Goldwing flat six would be an awesome platform for sport posture or built up to tour bike seating.

BajaRon
08-07-2015, 03:31 PM
I agree with those who say that Patent's aren't holding anyone up. You can't patent the basic design anymore than you can patent a 2 wheeled motorcycle.

Most of the components on a Spyder are also not patentable. Much of the Spyder is made from standard and widely used systems. A-Arms, Tie Rods, Swing Arm, etc. I am sure there are some patented aspects. But if Honda, etc., brought another reverse trike to market, they would naturally want to make it different. Otherwise, what would be the purpose?

JerryB
08-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: How DO you know this to be true?

By spending too much money on trying to get around a patent; unsuccessfully.

I probably could have eventually been successful but the cost/benefit ratio was simply not there.

So I simply developed something else that did the same thing; only better.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 05:52 PM
As you said; it forced you to come up with something that was both different, AND better... :congrats: :thumbup:

redrt
08-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Please go to Anamosa Iowa Motorcycle Museum, Two wheels in front is not new. I was just over there for a ride last month, Harley had one in 1913. They also had several other makes with two in front., So how can BRP hold a patent on the concept. How would the ATV market be so flooded with makes and not been around that long. Sure they have a nice trike but not a new concept just refined and marketed. Jim

Firefly
08-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Anyone can make a reverse trike like the Spyder with zero problems on patent. Morgan has had them out for what... 70 years?

Honda could do a goldwing reverse trike tomorrow and BRP couldn't do squat about it.

Madrebel
08-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Please go to Anamosa Iowa Motorcycle Museum, Two wheels in front is not new. I was just over there for a ride last month, Harley had one in 1913. They also had several other makes with two in front., So how can BRP hold a patent on the concept. How would the ATV market be so flooded with makes and not been around that long. Sure they have a nice trike but not a new concept just refined and marketed. Jim

Yes, I'm aware of that...😄
i was asking about it being marketed in its present configuration and why nobody has offered a version of it and also why Big Red or anyone else has not gone into the trike market with all the popularity of them. Honda disowns you if you convert a Goldwing into a trike.

Vt. Rider
08-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Honda won't make a trike. Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's before the advent of the 4wheel ATV's , Honda mass marketed a three wheeled ATV. So many people got hurt/killed riding them, that Honda signed an agreement with our government not to make a 3 wheeled vehicle.

Now with the advantage of technology..Nanny systems...ABS, etc., I wonder if Honda would even consider reneging on the contract or suing to void the original contract so that they could get back in the business. I'm sure that they have the ability to produce an amazing 3 wheeled vehicle. I'd love to see one !!

flaggerphil
08-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Aside from kits there already are other reverse trikes out there. The Taurus and Scorpion come to mind.

Madrebel
08-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Honda won't make a trike. Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's before the advent of the 4wheel ATV's , Honda mass marketed a three wheeled ATV. So many people got hurt/killed riding them, that Honda signed an agreement with our government not to make a 3 wheeled vehicle.

Now with the advantage of technology..Nanny systems...ABS, etc., I wonder if Honda would even consider reneging on the contract or suing to void the original contract so that they could get back in the business. I'm sure that they have the ability to produce an amazing 3 wheeled vehicle. I'd love to see one !!

Me too! 1800cc.:thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Here's a link to and a jpg copy of the first page of the earliest Spyder patent I found on the US Patent and Trademark Office site. It was filed Feb 24, 2003, and issued on Sep 27, 2005. It has an entirely different frame design than the current Spyders have.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113169&stc=1

Here's the complete patent.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178527008/Spyder%20patent.pdf

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 07:54 AM

I'm not sure if that agreement would be applicable in this situation.
All of that mess came out of the ATC market... Off-road usage of balloon-tired trikes, has VERY little in common with today's street bikes. :thumbup:

Madrebel
08-08-2015, 08:00 AM
Here's a link to and a jpg copy of the first page of the earliest Spyder patent I found on the US Patent and Trademark Office site. It was filed Feb 24, 2003, and issued on Sep 27, 2005. It has an entirely different frame design than the current Spyders have.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113169&stc=1

Here's the complete patent.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178527008/Spyder%20patent.pdf

There ya go..:thumbup:

AZF3S
08-08-2015, 10:33 AM
I doubt BRE holds any patent on the reverse trike concept, however, I'm betting they hold hundreds that cover integral assemblies, component parts and perhaps even the software that make the Spyder unique.

im sure other companies are monitoring Spyder sales figures while working development at the same time. Not since the ATV has a product been delivered to a niche group.....you can bet others are watching. Just my 2 cents

Kraut
08-08-2015, 10:39 AM
I seem to recall that BRP sells perhaps 7,000 Spyders per yea r now...(that number may be WAY off...)
With such a small piece of the market; it's tough to justify jumping into it with a heavy capital investment. :shocked:

RoadRunner Magazine reported that in May (I think) BRP sold their 100,000th Spyder. Of course I may have been experiencing another senior moment...

Madrebel
08-08-2015, 10:54 AM
I doubt BRE holds any patent on the reverse trike concept, however, I'm betting they hold hundreds that cover integral assemblies, component parts and perhaps even the software that make the Spyder unique.

im sure other companies are monitoring Spyder sales figures while working development at the same time. Not since the ATV has a product been delivered to a niche group.....you can bet others are watching. Just my 2 cents

I doubt anyone holds a patent on a concept...:thumbup:

Orange Spyder Man
08-08-2015, 12:22 PM
I think if any manufacturer wants to make a trike ... they could... how many different models of cars are made today ? dozens... so I don't think any patent right would impede someone from making a trike..

osm

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-08-2015, 12:28 PM
There ya go..[emoji106]
It was shown off and presented to the buyers @ Spyderfest!

RoadRunner Magazine reported that in May (I think) BRP sold their 100,000th Spyder. Of course I may have been experiencing another senior moment...

Flamewinger
08-09-2015, 08:22 PM
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/01/21/design/honda-developing-leaning-three-wheeler/

There is also the R18 which is a trike conversion but it looks a lot like a Spyder.

Susie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk