PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Hunting....

serianna
08-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Would appreciate any advise in what to ask/seek in shopping for a used Spyder. I am wanting a used model 2008/2009 model due to my budget and ok with auto or manual shift, this is a switch for me from riding on two wheels all my life but seeking a trike due to leg issues. Thanks guys. :)

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
:welcome:
First; an idea of your budget would be nice... :shocked:
Can Am's current model line-up includes four models:
The RS... designed more as a "sporty" offering This is the one that got things started! :thumbup:
The ST... Sport Touring... introduced in the 2013; they are essentially an RS, with some comfort and distance-riding amenities added
The RT. The Touring model. Introduced in 2010; this one comes with the Bells and whistles that make a 600 mile day seem like a walk in the park.
The F-3... The cruiser. Feet forward in the typical cruiser seating position... Less cargo capacity than the others.
The RS and ST have always had the 998 V-Twin engine. The RT had the 998 in it until 2014, when it got the 1330 triple. The F-3 came out this year, and has the 1330.

Used Bikes?? :shocked:
This is a tough call... the RS models (originally called "GS"), can be had for down as low as about $8000. They have proven to be pretty darn reliable bikes.
The ST... First offered in 2013; a LOT of them had heat issues. There are protocols in place to deal with those issues now, so they are all pretty good bikes.
The RTs... This gets a bit sticky... The early RTs had lots of trouble with throttle body problems, and weak-kneed front suspensions (I had a 2010). By the 2012 model year; they were sorted out... Then 2013 happened...
A new chassis and suspension left the bikes with SERIOUS hearting issues. BRP has come out with a fix for them that seems to have made some magic happen. If you can find a "fixed" 2013; it may just be your best choice. Otherwise; look for a 2012.
The F-3s are so new to the market, that it may be tough to find them used right now...

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting!! :thumbup:

serianna
08-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Appreciate the feed back, My budget is stressed out at 9000.00 but I am hoping to find one in that range.

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 11:20 AM
At that price-point; you'd be able to find either a first year GS, or maybe the 2009 RS (The same bike actually!)
If it's a private sale; look for copies of service records. Get the V.I.N., and have a dealer plug it into their computers. That'll let you know if all of the updates have been tended to...
If it's a manual shift; take a peek at the clutch fluid... it should be changed regularly, and is often overlooked.
Tire condition: look for cupping and uneven wear up front. Ask if the bike has ever been laser-aligned.
Check the drive belt's condition. look for rocks lodged in it, busted teeth, and worn sprockets; front and rear.

Since you'll be riding double a lot; a passenger backrest is an absolute necessity.

Chupaca
08-07-2015, 11:26 AM
:agree: wow...Bob's got you covered all I will add is looj for low mileage...good luck..:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Sorry Gene... :shocked:
I didn't mean to eat ALL of the cookies on the plate! :opps:

AMTJIM
08-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Check Cycle Trader and Craigslist starting from your zip code and expanding from there. Many dealers are using them both as well now and some new 2014 RS were on there for about $9500...year end/model closeout sales.

ARtraveler
08-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Bob has this one covered pretty good.

Check out the vin with the dealer so you get a full picture of the service history. A check over by a dealer may also be advisable since you are new to the machine. You could miss something that is important.

Let us know how it goes. :yes:

AZ Spyder
08-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Seriana,

When I was looking to buy here in AZ, I kept "Googling 2008 Spyder for sale in AZ". When I found one for sale I liked at a dealer in Tucson (they have locations all over Phoenix Metro area, too), I called and offered them $10K on a 12K priced Silver 2008 SM5 with 9,400 miles on it. They laughed at me and I told them to take my number and call me when they wanted to sell the bike for $10K. They called me a week later and accepted the offer. I then asked for a 4 year Maintenance Plan and a 4 Year bumper to Bumper Plan. they balked at that and agreed to do a 2 X 2 plan. Bike, 2 Yr Maint., 2 Yr Warranty, Tax and Licence was just over $14,750. And they delivered it 150 miles away to Gilbert after I drove down to Tucson, test drove it and signed the papers.

Make an offer, they just might say yes to make room for the new bikes. Always buy at the end of the month, quarter, or year. Sales guys (I am one, too) are trying to hit their quota and will deal to get there.

Just over a year later, I have 13K miles on it and wish I had bought it new in 2008. I wouldn't go back to 2 wheels if you gave it to me for free.

I hope you join us soon. You won't be sorry.:yes:

JerryB
08-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Hi serianna,

Re: due to my budget and ok with auto or manual shift

You are at where I was 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had a budget of $10,000 to spend.

I found a '08 GS SE-5 ( really glad I made that decision ) with 4,000 miles on it; and in near perfect condition.

I probably could be happier with whatever else; but I am VERY happy with what I have.

It was about Oct '13 that I saw a Spyder going down the street. I followed it into a Safeway parking lot and began asking questions.

That put me onto the local chapter; where I met two guys who filled me in even more. And they were convinced I 'needed' an RT. Humph!!!!

One of the guys that I met with ( a month or so later ) got an email about someone wanting to sell their Spyder.

To keep it short, I bought that one in Mar '14 and had it shipped up from Southern California ( everyone on this site knows this story a number of times by now; but you haven't ).

I am not the most experienced bike rider; I've owned a few, along with a few motor scooters. The Spyder is the most fun of them all.

Good luck. There are good ( make that great ) buys to be had within your budget. And look for the thread on here about 'Do's & Don'ts of a Spyder' or something like that.

If you want some more of my personal thoughts, just email me and I will do my best to provide answers; as will just about everyone on here. This is a great site.

Jerry Baumchen