PDA

View Full Version : Noobie's 1st test-ride report

dogtired
01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm new to this site and I'm going to guess that this has already been stated, but the Spyder brochure is absolutely correct: Operating a Spyder involves an "active riding style".

WHAT FREEKIN' A RUSH!!! :2thumbs:

I recently took a 20min test ride through a curvy undulating road that eventually straightened out in sections. Holy shiatsu!!! I was blown away by the amount of Gs you feel when negotiating a turn or a curve at high speeds. (Note #1 to self: Slide my butt and shift my body weight to the inside of the the turn to maintain speed and contact with the Spyder.)

This is not a car, this is not a motorcycle....this is a fun and fast three-wheeled machine with more than adequate acceleration and deceleration characteristics....and impresssive handling in the turns and curves once I learned how to ride it properly. (Note #2 to self: When going in hot and trail-braking into a turn, it is important to shift my weight toward the rear and to the inside of the turn to mitigate the sensation of being tossed forward and outward from the seat, and to maintain contact with the Spyder.)

I love the the power and torque of the Rotax 990. The Spyder is deceptively quick and fast. I like that the "assisted steering" is speed sensitive and weighted accordingly. I learned how twitchy the Spyder can be if I get stupid with steering inputs a high speeds. I learned how stable and quickly it stops from high speeds. Three of the first things I do when testing a performance-type machine are high speed acceleration, emergency braking, and emergency lane changes. Not abusive moves, just the things I'm apt to be exposed to when riding. (Note #3 to self: Its so damn easy to have mondo fun on this thing, don't be stupid on it, and get a radar/lidar detector.)

I'm leaning toward acquiring an SE5. Why? I already have several motorcycles with clutch/clutch levers. Riding the Spyder SE5 was an entirely different ball of fun. I really like the idea of the "semi-auto" trans application for the Spyder. Its unlike anything I've ever experienced with a wheeled vehicle. Make mine all stealth black with the Hindle, 6-spoke wheels, fog-lamps, and Corbin seats. That's the plan. In the meantime...

YOU FOLKS ARE HAVING ALL THE FUN!!!!.....DAMN YOU!!!!:cheers::2thumbs::clap::yes::congrats::bowd own::spyder::D

ataDude
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you already have it down! :agree:

welcome

I'm new to this site and I'm going to guess that this has already been stated, but the Spyder brochure is absolutely correct: Operating a Spyder involves an "active riding style".

WHAT FREEKIN' A RUSH!!! :2thumbs:

I recently took a 20min test ride through a curvy undulating road that eventually straightened out in sections. Holy shiatsu!!! I was blown away by the amount of Gs you feel when negotiating a turn or a curve at high speeds. (Note #1 to self: Slide my butt and shift my body weight to the inside of the the turn to maintain speed and contact with the Spyder.)

This is not a car, this is not a motorcycle....this is a fun and fast three-wheeled machine with more than adequate acceleration and deceleration characteristics....and impresssive handling in the curves and curves once I learned how to ride it properly. (Note #2 to self: When going in hot and trail-braking into a turn, it is important to shift my weight toward the rear and to the inside of the turn to mitigate the sensation of being tossed forward and outward from the seat, and to maintain contact with the Spyder.)

I love the the power and torque of the Rotax 990. The Spyder is deceptively quick and fast. I like that the "assisted steering" is speed sensitive and weighted accordingly. I learned how twitchy the Spyder can be I get stupid with steering inputs a high speeds. I learned how stable and quickly it stops from high speeds. Three of the first things I do when testing a performance-type machine are high speed acceleration, emergency braking, and emergency lane changes. Not abusive moves, just the things I'm apt to be exposed to when riding. (Note #3 to self: Its so damn easy to have mondo fun on this thing, don't be stupid on it, and get a radar/lidar detector.)

I'm leaning toward acquiring an SE5. Why? I already have several motorcycles with clutch/clutch levers. Riding the Spyder SE5 was an entirely different ball of fun. I really like the idea of the "semi-auto" trans application for the Spyder. Its unlike anything I've ever experienced with a wheeled vehicle. Make mine all stealth black with the Hindle, 6-spoke wheels, fog-lamps, and Corbin seats. That's the plan. In the meantime...

YOU FOLKS ARE HAVING ALL THE FUN!!!!.....DAMN YOU!!!!:cheers::2thumbs::clap::yes::congrats::bowd own::spyder::D

NancysToy
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
welcome Good notes to yourself. You are well on your way. Join us on the road for good real soon, and enjoy the Ryde!
-Scotty

Smylinacha
01-08-2009, 04:33 PM
welcome

retread
01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
welcome :2thumbs:

hawkiii
01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
welcome

Roaddog2
01-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Yep it was all over for me after the test ride went for several more at other dealers while I was waiting for mine.

kliff
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
YOU FOLKS ARE HAVING ALL THE FUN!!!!.....DAMN YOU

Not ALL of us are having all the fun...there are a few out here still planning, and dreaming....just like you....:2thumbs:

Roaddog2
01-08-2009, 07:47 PM
welcomeplanning is:2thumbs:
Not ALL of us are having all the fun...there are a few out here still planning, and dreaming....just like you....:2thumbs:

nancyemh
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Some of us are waiting anxiously for warmer weather to have more fun!
welcome

kliff
01-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Some of us are waiting anxiously for warmer weather to have more fun!
welcome

That's gotta hurt! So far we've had a "freaky" winter. Other than one week in November, and again today, I've been going around in Tee shirts, and riding in my vented summer jacket!

Today was cool, 55F high, low should get inbto the 30's tonight. If it weren't for other commitments, I'd still be riding! Usually only miss a week or 2 due to frigid temps every year, but family is a whole 'nudder ball o' wax...

LDFIREWORKS
01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
buy it buy it :2thumbs::2thumbs:welcome:nopic:

8LEGS
01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
welcome

Star Cruiser
01-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Welcome aboard - I think you are HOOKED
welcome

babyanlee
01-09-2009, 07:31 AM
welcome:spyder: