PDA

View Full Version : HUGGING THE CENTER LINE

Questions
08-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I've been riding various motorcycles for 11 years now and one thing that I see a lot is riders hugging the center line. All it takes is a gust of wind, a distracted driver from the opposite lane etc. to cause a huge accident. There has been a few times that I have had to dodge drivers that drift across the lane. Anybody else notice this? :lecturef_smilie:

Chupaca
08-07-2015, 10:09 AM
I on the other hand prefer the outter edge (unless there is a cliff or railing) so that in an emergency stop I am not part of a pressing situation....:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 10:10 AM
You've got to pick a spot somewhere... :dontknow:
The outer edges of the roadway often have pavement issues that you'll want to avoid...
The center will have the "Grease Patch"... putting a tire directly into it may not be your first choice either. :shocked:

wyliec
08-07-2015, 10:26 AM
On a 2 wheeler, it makes it easier to be seen by a car passing another car, when you're (a 2 wheeler) up in front, and close to the center line.

MisterP
08-07-2015, 11:26 AM
I would never hug either side of a lane. Staying toward the center line but not on it makes you more visible. Hugging the edge encourages impatient drivers to pass you using the lane. If they misjudge you have nowhere to go but off the road.

R FUN
08-07-2015, 11:34 AM
In Canada we have a lot of wildlife, dear, moose etc. If they dart out of the underbrush or deep grass on the shoulder you dont have much of a chance if you are riding the shoulder. I prefer to ride near the center line which gives you a cushon on both sides.
Roger

cuznjohn
08-07-2015, 11:38 AM
on two wheels i always rode to either side of the center of the lane due to oil in the centers, and never directly behind another bike. with my rt i now ride in the center just like a car with just the rear wheel making contact with the center of the lane

SpyderAnn01
08-07-2015, 11:55 AM
One of the lessons I learned as a 16 year old in Driver's Ed was to drive closer to the center line. Running off the road in a car or on a bike is never a good thing.

ARtraveler
08-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Here, sometimes the tire grooves (caused by studded snow tires) will dictate which side of the road to ride on. I try to avoid the grooves altogether because I do not want to be like I am on a track.

When not riding slightly off center, we give either lane border about a foot of so of room, so that we are not getting to cozy with the other lane or the edge of the road.

In heavy traffic, we ride staggered for a better view profile.

SPYD3R
08-07-2015, 12:52 PM
there are a few reasons for this;
1. you want to ride in the tracks of the 4 wheelers, less tire puncturing items lay there...
2. most seasoned bikers ride staggered: 1st guy on the left, 2nd on the right, 3rd left, 4th right... all riding in the 4 wheelers tracks per #1.
3. habit: per #1 & #2...
even tho i've bin ride'n a SPYD3R since '09, i still hug the left track when in the lead or an odd numbered rider, or right if i'm an even numbered rider....
keep in mind.... the SPYD3R has by far the lowest accident rate of any sports vehicle, aka; motorcycle out there since it's inception...
so ride carefully, and keep your eyes on the other guy/gal....
dp
SPYD3R F3-S

WEB-WVR
08-07-2015, 01:01 PM
on two wheels i always rode to either side of the center of the lane due to oil in the centers, and never directly behind another bike. with my rt i now ride in the center just like a car with just the rear wheel making contact with the center of the lane

I on 2 wheels tend to ride between the center of the lane and the inner-center road line. You tend to be in the cars mirror in front of you, as said above...out of the oil in the center and if you are on the outer part of the lane I tend to find that cagers feel they can pass you.....there is risk to be forced off the road and the pavement there slopes to the outer edge so sometimes you are fighting to stay off the shoulder.

With the Spyder I find I ride typically in the center or slightly to the left. I am still new to the Spyder so after 45 years on 2 wheels I have to watch myself that I dont get to far left :shocked:

Bensonoid
08-07-2015, 04:31 PM
I like to get my money's worth and use the whole lane depending on where the threat is coming from. If cars are coming at me I hug the white line, if no cars are present I hug the center line. I like the ones that flirt with death and ride side by side, I think everyone has witnessed some of the fun and games that go on behind the wheel, not to mention the self medicators. Hugging the centerline with oncoming traffic has no appeal to me.

flaggerphil
08-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Back in my two wheeled days I never hugged the center line...too many cars doing the same thing coming the other way. With my Spyder when I'm alone I drive in the center of the lane. When in a group I'm staggered just like a two wheeler...within bounds of reason.

Deer Slayer
08-07-2015, 08:43 PM
All the nails are in the center track.:yikes:

missouriboy
08-07-2015, 08:56 PM
On two-lane roads I ryde where oncoming drivers will see me as soon as possible, depending on the situation (I want to prevent potential oncoming passers from being unaware of my presence).
When close behind another car I stay to the left, so oncomers know I'm right behind the car they can see.

When I'm the lone occupant in a lane, I stay to the right so oncomers see me soonest, so as not to pull around the car they are following. In other words, I don't want to be in the "blind" spot of that oncoming driver who is right behind another car, potentially trying to pass it.

Here in Texas the majority of roads have a fully paved shoulder suitable for driving on, to allow faster traffic to pass without having to use the opposing lane... I use this a lot to aid vehicles passing in either direction.

On multi-lane divided highways I stay mostly in the center, adjusting for the situation in the case of line-crowders, etc., while staying in the rightmost lane when going slower than the limit, or when anybody wants to pass, regardless of the limit.

Bottom line, I want to keep my undersize vehicle visible to as many drivers as possible, while driving friendly by never hogging any lane that I don't need. :doorag:

wiredgeorge
08-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I would never hug either side of a lane. Staying toward the center line but not on it makes you more visible. Hugging the edge encourages impatient drivers to pass you using the lane. If they misjudge you have nowhere to go but off the road.

I don't know about where you live but here in Texs, the center of the road is where the oil-pan drips collect. I NEVER ride right in the strip of dark goo in the center of the road. Similarly, riding in the middle will work if there are no blind curves as the guy in the dump truck will claim middle of both lanes. Best to move over some to the right when going around blind curves and slow down some which may give you a bit more reaction time. I know there are a lot of macho canyon carvers out there but best make sure you are the only one on the road if you insist on owning the center. We also need to watch riding on the far right as we often have rock overhangs in the canyons where the right side of the road will sometimes be littered with rock debris.