PDA

View Full Version : Wider front tires

spyder114
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi y'all,

Has anyone put wider front tires on there Spyder ? If so how are they doing. A while back someone posted a thread concerning this, but I can't find it. HELP !!!:dontknow:

Spyder 114

steven888
01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Yes I have the wider tires. They are 185/60/14

bone crusher
01-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Why wider front tires? Better for dry weather traction, worse if wet/damp. In addition, more friction, worse mileage...

IMHO, the stock are good to go...

Latemarch
01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes I have the wider tires. They are 185/60/14

And made by who?

:nopic:

Spydyr
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Why wider front tires? Better for dry weather traction, worse if wet/damp. In addition, more friction, worse mileage...

As quoted by Lamonster
FACT

People who don't mod will never understand people who do.
People who don't want to go fast will never understand people who do.
People who debate this kind of thing on messages boards will never change anyone else mind so why bother?

Like the old saying goes
"If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand anyway"
http://asware.net/serendipity/uploads/mirror/BossHoss.jpg

mc2276
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Not to argue with you. I feel the front tires are fine. But I must ask, "WHY NOT?" Think about the guy who made that rear fender for his :spyder:. Nobody liked it, but he might. It is what makes it his and nobodys else.

LDFIREWORKS
01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
[ when i change mine i am going wider and a lower profile

IMRU3
01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I will be posting my wider tires/ fenders and other mods as soon as it is all done. I was reluctant in changing from stock to wider tires but I have decided to pursue the mods I have been thinking and wanting. If I'm happy then it's all good. It's how the Spyder will be uniquely differrent from the rest. Oh, the size of the tires will be 195/40/17.

WATER SPYDER
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM

IMHO, the stock are good to go... Yeah

bone crusher
01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Not a valid explanation...I see you're really original though...tell me what wider tires do for you...if anything?

As quoted by Lamonster
FACT

People who debate this kind of thing on messages boards will never change anyone else mind so why bother?

Like the old saying goes

StSpyder09
01-08-2009, 11:23 PM
As quoted by Lamonster
FACT

Like the old saying goes

:yikes::2thumbs: Man...A picture is worth a thousand words.:thumbup:

bone crusher
01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Not to argue with you. I feel the front tires are fine. But I must ask, "WHY NOT?" Think about the guy who made that rear fender for his :spyder:. Nobody liked it, but he might. It is what makes it his and nobodys else.

No arguing at all...it's all good...

First 'why', then 'why not'. What is the advantage gained on a Spyder by having wider tires?...if it's just for looks, so be it...if it's for performance, please detail. In regards to how it will work with the VSC system, please let me know.

Sure, mods are for looks, performance, etc...to each their own...I fully respect that each modification is a personal decision. The great thing about the Spyder is that there are more and more things that can be done with it each day...with that being said, the bike is made with certain tested configurations.

If BRP says it's fine to go from 165 to 185, then so be it...spend the extra money and go for it... IMHO, with all the goodies out there, why pay any additional money for tires when the factory ones work just fine, especially if you have 10,000+ miles left on them. I believe money could be better spent elsewhere...like on some NMN lights for better visibility...

StSpyder09
01-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Not a valid explanation...I see you're really original though...tell me what wider tires do for you...if anything?

They sure did put a smile on my face;), and I don't even have my :spyder: yet!:b2b:

BRPjunkie
01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
If someone wasn't willing to push outside what others consider functional or good looking, we would never have had the Spyder. The more others try new things, the more we all learn.

bone crusher
01-08-2009, 11:33 PM
They sure did put a smile on my face;), and I don't even have my :spyder: yet!:b2b:

Good enough! Now get out there and get your Spyder!! Spring is right around the corner...wait a sec...you're in Florida...you can ryde all year long...unlike us northerners...argh!

Spydyr
01-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Duh, I didn't think it was worth trying to explain. If you don't understand now, you never will, but for those of you who can relate, the handling is phenominal. The steering is so much mor precise and responsive. I've actually reduced the preload on the front springs. I think alot of the roll in turns was sidewall flex in the stock tires. I haven't noticed any difference in fuel mileage and as far as wet riding goes, I've alwasy said ride responsibly. Plus I like the way it makes my spyder look, even though the fenders aren't done yet.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/buckylaine/IMG_1330.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/buckylaine/IMG_1224.jpg
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

Spydyr
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
No arguing at all...it's all good...

First 'why', then 'why not'. What is the advantage gained on a Spyder by having wider tires?...if it's just for looks, so be it...if it's for performance, please detail. In regards to how it will work with the VSC system, please let me know.

Sure, mods are for looks, performance, etc...to each their own...I fully respect that each modification is a personal decision. The great thing about the Spyder is that there are more and more things that can be done with it each day...with that being said, the bike is made with certain tested configurations.

If BRP says it's fine to go from 165 to 185, then so be it...spend the extra money and go for it... IMHO, with all the goodies out there, why pay any additional money for tires when the factory ones work just fine, especially if you have 10,000+ miles left on them. I believe money could be better spent elsewhere...like on some NMN lights for better visibility...

How does the VSC system know there is a wider tire on the spyder?

If the bike is made with certain tested configurations why isn't the lighting adequate?
"I believe money could be better spent elsewhere...like on some NMN lights for better visibility"

Why do you have to spend "additional money" to buy new tires of a different size?

spyder114
01-11-2009, 01:57 PM
[quote=steven888;67501]Yes I have the wider tires. They are 185/60/14[/quote

would you please tell the make of you're wider tires.

Thanks

Spyder 114

steven888
01-11-2009, 02:49 PM
They are FALKEN ZE-512. You will love the difference. Let us know if you get them and what you think.

spyder114
01-11-2009, 03:48 PM

The stock tires suck. Side walls give to much.........:clap:

spyder114
01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
They are FALKEN ZE-512. You will love the difference. Let us know if you get them and what you think.

Thanks Steven, I'm getting them! I'll let you know when they are installed.

steven888
01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
COOL :2thumbs:

steven888
01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
After mounting the new sizes. I noticed the dfference in steering response and all around ride difference. The stock tires suck.

Blackwidow74
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
:agree:I have never heard of Kenda tires. I want something I can really trust. I am ordering some 17" rims and new fenders from Immortal. I am buying the tires for the rims 205/40/17R Falkens. I am Keep the same size back tire though, just a Falken like the front. I am told Falken is the third best tire company, by a guy that works for a tire and rim shop. He had never even heard of Kenda. Can't wait to get everything on.:clap::2thumbs::yes::yes::yes::yes:

steven888
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
What is the name of the website that you are getting the wheels from? What kind of wheels are they? You mentioned Immortal.

spyder3rdr
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Kenda has been in the offroad business for quite a few years ... dirt bike and atv tires and wheels ...

bone crusher
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
How does the VSC system know there is a wider tire on the spyder?

If the bike is made with certain tested configurations why isn't the lighting adequate?
"I believe money could be better spent elsewhere...like on some NMN lights for better visibility"

Why do you have to spend "additional money" to buy new tires of a different size?

1. The VSC is computer controlled and takes into effect the configuration of the tires...if you change, it could alter. This goes if you change to 20" rims as well (or whatever some people would change to)...

2. The lighting is adequate...brighter is safer though...lighting won't affect the handling and control of your vehicle...but it can make you more noticeable.

3. If you go out and buy new, fat tires when you have the stock tires, you're spending additional cash...it's your money...

Bottom line: If you like the tires, you like the tires...it's your ride and you should do whatever you want to enjoy it...I'm with ya on that...who knows, maybe when it's time to change mine out if there are enough out there who have done so without incident, then I'd consider...however, I would rather spend a few hundred dollars on more practical items at this time...that's just me...there are so many mods coming out, it's good we have choices!

One point for all to know is that wider tires are better for dry pavement...for slick pavement, they are more unsafe...it's the high heel/sneaker example of psi.

Roger
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
This is for spydyr i'am looking at your picture and i have not made up my mind yet but after you got the wider tires did you have the caster and camber reset maybe it's me but they seem to be off a little or it could be the picture it's self. :dontknow:

dogtired
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
What's the bolt pattern, hub center size, and and offset of the stock Spyder front wheel? BTW, nice set-up Spydyr!

jetskier
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
This is for spydyr i'am looking at your picture and i have not made up my mind yet but after you got the wider tires did you have the caster and camber reset maybe it's me but they seem to be off a little or it could be the picture it's self. :dontknow:

Looks fine to me. The camber, castor and toe shouldn't change anyway, as these adjustments are based at the hub, rods etc, not the wheels. If these adjustments are out in the first place however, a larger or wider wheel would show it up.

Spydyr
01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
That's just the picture. I haven't checked or changed the alignment.

redcarbon
01-12-2009, 07:13 PM
:agree:I have never heard of Kenda tires. I want something I can really trust. I am ordering some 17" rims and new fenders from Immortal. I am buying the tires for the rims 205/40/17R Falkens. I am Keep the same size back tire though, just a Falken like the front. I am told Falken is the third best tire company, by a guy that works for a tire and rim shop. He had never even heard of Kenda. Can't wait to get everything on.:clap::2thumbs::yes::yes::yes::yes:
KENDA TIRES ARE COOPER TIRES,SO I AM SURPRISED A TIRE GUY WOULDN'T KNOW THAT.I KNOW IT BECAUSE I SHIP THE TIRE MOLDS TO CHINA WHERE EVERY OTHER AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT IS MANUFACTURED.

Spydyr
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
What's the bolt pattern, hub center size, and and offset of the stock Spyder front wheel? BTW, nice set-up Spydyr!
The bolt pattern of the stock wheels is 3 on 3.537 inches. I don't remember the hub center size but the wheels are centered by the lugnuts, not the hub. I don't know the offset of the stock wheels but I think the backspacing is 4 1/4 inches but I'm not 100% sure. I'd had to measure them again.

NancysToy
01-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Traction in slick (wet) conditions has has way more to do with tread pattern, rubber compound, and tire pressure than it has to do with size. We're not talking about a big size increase here if it still fits in the stock fender.....
:agree:
-Scotty

bone crusher
01-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Traction in slick (wet) conditions has has way more to do with tread pattern, rubber compound, and tire pressure than it has to do with size. We're not talking about a big size increase here if it still fits in the stock fender.....

Agreed...but tire pressure is directly related to width of tire...how much rubber you have on the ground determines the distribution of the weight...

Wider is better on dry pavement...it will compromise wet traction, all other factors equal, of course...

bone crusher
01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
All factors aren't equal, the original poster indicated he was using a different brand tire, with different compounds and tread pattern.....

I believe we're speaking of different "tire pressures", I was referring to internal tire pressure, I think you're referencing load on the contact patch. If that's the case, I agree, a wider tire of the EXACT same brand and model will have less wet traction than a narrower one...:doorag:

Good to go...

I'd like to just get out and get some miles on the tires I have now! Too darn cold! :mad:

spyder114
04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
COOL :2thumbs: Steven, put on the wide tires. Holy Crap !! what a change. Thanks Dude.:clap::clap::clap:

Blackwidow74
04-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I should have my new 17" rims this week. I am using the tires I stated before. I will definately post pictures. I can't wait to ride spydie with the new rims and tires. You don't have to buy new fenders, I just found out I could have had my stock fenders cut and made wider to fit the 17" rims and tires and it would have been much cheaper and lighter. :clap::ani29::yes::yes:

AMTJIM
04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Steven, put on the wide tires. Holy Crap !! what a change. Thanks Dude.:clap::clap::clap:
They still fit under the fenders?