PDA

View Full Version : Engine Light

ericoa
08-06-2015, 07:51 PM
I am a new Spyder owner. I bought my 2014 RT about 4 months ago. I have recently had an engine light come on at start up. My dealer said I needed to put the bike in the neutral position before turning off the key. Well, I have found that sometimes it works but I still get the light sometimes? I love reading all your posts and you have made me a smarter owner..
Wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue. Would appreciate any advice...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
08-06-2015, 07:54 PM
If it is the oil pressure light, that would be normal until the engine starts up.

ericoa
08-06-2015, 07:56 PM
It comes on after it starts?

happyspyder2039
08-06-2015, 08:24 PM
I am a new Spyder owner. I bought my 2014 RT about 4 months ago. I have recently had an engine light come on at start up. My dealer said I needed to put the bike in the neutral position before turning off the key. Well, I have found that sometimes it works but I still get the light sometimes? I love reading all your posts and you have made me a smarter owner..
Wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue. Would appreciate any advice...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalkhas the :ani29: been sitting in the sun during the Day? if so the bike temp will reads 125 or higher. The engine light will come on. The is not normal other than if something else is wrong. low oil,Coolant. Any codes display?

ericoa
08-06-2015, 08:30 PM
No it does not sit in the sun.. I am not sure how to read codes yet.. lol. I thought my dealer would have done that if there were any??? So this putting the bike in neutral isn't something that everyone does?? I will check the fluids, I am not exactly the "handy-man" .. lol

happyspyder2039
08-06-2015, 08:36 PM
No it does not sit in the sun.. I am not sure how to read codes yet.. lol. I thought my dealer would have done that if there were any??? So this putting the bike in neutral isn't something that everyone does?? I will check the fluids, I am not exactly the "handy-man" .. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using TapatalkYou can leave any bike in gear & shut down with no problems. if SE5/SE6 stepping on the brake will automatically go to N on Startup

ericoa
08-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Mine is an SE6... Another thing I did not know.... Thank You!!!

JayBros
08-06-2015, 09:14 PM
When you say an engine light comes on do you mean the light outlined in yellow on the picture below. If not, which light do you mean?

You dealer is not correct telling you that you must put your engine in neutral before you turn it off. HappySpyder2039 explained what happens if you do leave it in gear. FWIW, if you put it in neutral before turning it off (use a light tap on the downshift lever) it is much easier to push the Spyder around, like rolling it backward or forward to conveniently check the rear tire pressure. Make sure you reset your parking brake.

The second picture below is from page 145 of your Operator's Guide and tells you what kind of condition will cause the engine light to come on after the engine is running. If it is not the engine light and is one of the other lights on page 144 or 145 the table will indicate the problem.

ericoa
08-06-2015, 09:21 PM
When you say an engine light comes on do you mean the light outlined in yellow on the picture below. If not, which light do you mean?

You dealer is not correct telling you that you must put your engine in neutral before you turn it off. HappySpyder2039 explained what happens if you do leave it in gear. FWIW, if you put it in neutral before turning it off (use a light tap on the downshift lever) it is much easier to push the Spyder around, like rolling it backward or forward to conveniently check the rear tire pressure. Make sure you reset your parking brake.

The second picture below is from page 145 of your Operator's Guide and tells you what kind of condition will cause the engine light to come on after the engine is running. If it is not the engine light and is one of the other lights on page 144 or 145 the table will indicate the problem.
You found it!!!! Nice job.. Yes, it is that light and the the "steering unit" flashes in the screen below..
Sounds like a dealer warranty issue??

JayBros
08-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a dealer warranty issue??

AbsoSpyderlutely!!!

JIM EVANS
08-07-2015, 12:34 PM
there is an update for your ecm and tcm for that unit.. just had it done the other week

JayBros
08-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Jim, just out of curiosity what is the assembly date on your Spyder? It's on the upper right corner of the VIN sticker on the swing arm. It is an RT too? Thanks.

JIM EVANS
08-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Will take a look tomorrow. Forgot to look when I changed the oil the tonight