PDA

View Full Version : Winter riding RT-S

Fjrwillie
08-06-2015, 03:36 PM
I am about to be a new owner of a RT-S. This will supplement my FJR (who knows maybe replace it) Live in the NE. Does anyone ride their Spyders during the winter months and what to look out for. I never took my bike out after there was the threat of freezing roads, just wasn't willing to risk the 2 wheel. So should I maintain the same caution or is it full snow ahead :helpsmilie:

Willie

JayBros
08-06-2015, 03:55 PM
I've ridden in weather well below freezing here during a cold snap last winter but up in your neck of the woods I would mothball for the winter any vehicle I didn't want exposed to the copious amounts of salt you folks slather on the roads. I understand too that Nanny doesn't play well in the snow.

Bob Denman
08-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Here in New York; they spread salt as if it was free! :gaah: I won't ride once the roads are covered with it.
But... If we do get a decent rain to clear the roads of it; I'll ride! :thumbup:
The upper body gets a snowmobile jacket, and the legs get stuffed into a set of bibs, if it's cold enough.
But if it's only in the twenties; I'll throw on my knee necks, and fire up the bike!
www.kneenecks.com (http://www.kneenecks.com)

ARtraveler
08-06-2015, 04:56 PM
The owners manual advises not to drive the :spyder2: in snow.

That said, some have done it anyway.

I am from Alaska.

Ice is not a good thing to drive on. You may be able to get going, but stopping is another question.

My main consideration is the other vehicles that are out there. I sure would not like to put myself in a place where I have any vehicle sliding out of control in my direction.

I drive my :ani29: both earlier and later than most around here. I put it away when black ice starts showing up and bring it out when its off the main road. Here, usually OCT - MAR are my lay up months.

Others will chime in with other opinions.

Sarge707
08-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Cold YES! Snow NO! Real salty roads NO! Get a First Gear Thermal Suit and your wearing your own comforter?

Pandy
08-06-2015, 06:22 PM
We ride in cold or what passes for it in South Carolina. We have however, done some rides to the Midwest and points further east in comfort. We use heated jackets and sheepskins on the seats. I put guards on the grips (think 4 wheeler) as well as around the heated grips back aft. A good pair of insulated armored pants (windproof) rounds it out. Have seen some ice but none of the white stuff. By all means Spyder on....
Patrick

Almost forgot, have wind deflectors uppers and lowers as well.

bmccaffrey
08-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Cold is fine.

Snow taboo. Time for the tender

NDSU78
08-06-2015, 06:31 PM
No on snow covered roads. But fun in a parking lot. :D
https://youtu.be/zZU-J1RwXjU

Orange Spyder Man
08-06-2015, 06:49 PM
I ride my 2014 RT 12 months a year !!!! :2thumbs:

osm

vtrider
08-06-2015, 07:01 PM
My Spyder goes into hibernation once I see icy roads and they start to salt brine the roads. But that's fine with me! That's usually about the time that the snow toys come out for me to enjoy.

Peter Aawen
08-06-2015, 07:52 PM
No on snow covered roads. But fun in a parking lot. :D
https://youtu.be/zZU-J1RwXjU

That vid doesn't show the warning messages (& error codes?!) that doing that must've thrown!! Every time I get the rear wheel turning at a different rate to the fronts for more than a couple of seconds, it throws a warning! Sure, as soon the wheel speeds match again, the warning goes away, but any codes must accumulate over time!?.... :sour:

Good thing we don't get too much snow in Aust, & what we do get isn't all that heavy nor does it hang around for a long time - so I ryde year round (when my decrepit body permits) rain or shine, & even when it snows.... I even made a bit of a special trip to ride in some snow the other day!! nojoke It's amazing the things you come to miss when you no longer get to experience them often, innit?! :ohyea:

bmccaffrey
08-06-2015, 08:42 PM
I ride my 2014 RT 12 months a year !!!! :2thumbs:

osm

Where the hell is 3rd rock from the sun.

Will not ride 12 months in upstate NY CAUSE were to far from the sun:shocked:

Chupaca
08-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Ya'll know why....http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113103&stc=1 going up or down its always around...:thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
08-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Can't let winter keep you from ryding! We Ryde all winter long, almost every weekend! But then I'm in California! Woo Hoo:yes::yes::yes:

Orange Spyder Man
08-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Where the hell is 3rd rock from the sun.

Will not ride 12 months in upstate NY CAUSE were to far from the sun:shocked:

Planet Earth is the 3rd rock from the sun... you can always move u know !! ;)

osm

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 10:14 AM
But then I'm in California! Woo Hoo:yes::yes::yes:

:shocked: Yeah... :shocked:

Woo-friggin-Hoo http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113137&stc=1

Our Winters (A.K.A. "The White Plague"...), are not as kind to us...:gaah:

CapNCrunch
08-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I am about to be a new owner of a RT-S. This will supplement my FJR (who knows maybe replace it) Live in the NE. Does anyone ride their Spyders during the winter months and what to look out for. I never took my bike out after there was the threat of freezing roads, just wasn't willing to risk the 2 wheel. So should I maintain the same caution or is it full snow ahead :helpsmilie:

Willie

CONGRATS! You'll love your Spyder. I made the switch from my FJR back in 2011, and have never regretted it.
Happy Trails,
CapNCrunch : =)

vondalyn
08-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Have heated grips if you can get them, heated gear helps if you can't. I've gotten a Powerlet power outlet installed on each of my Spyders, and in the winter I wear a heated jacket liner and heated glove liners so that I'm not committed to a single jacket or pair of gloves when it's cold. I wear heavy insulated armored overpants and heavy wool socks because the Spyder protects your lower body pretty well from the cold wind so I haven't found the need yet for heated gear for my lower body. Under Armor 4.0 is great stuff. Sometimes I can just put that on under some lined jeans and not have to wear the overpants... just depends on the day.

Drive on cold but dry days and try to avoid salt. Here the wind will blow snow off the side of the roads onto the road and the Spyder handles those small patches of snow/ice pretty well. I would also recommend only planning on going for rides in the winter rather than going to work. The weather can change drastically over a full day and while it might have been ok to go to work, it might be unsafe to go home. I typically just go out for a 1-2 hour ride after work in the winter because the temps drop so much after dark, I'd rather not be out then.