PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an extended warranty?

NDSU78
08-06-2015, 03:19 PM
I just purchased a 2012 RT-S SE5 with less than 5000 miles on it at a Can-Am dealer. Of course they recommended a 3 year extended warranty at $1250. He said that there are a lot of electronics on these and that one repair visit could cost that much.
Since I have no history with one of these, should I consider getting the extended warranty?

SpyderAnn01
08-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Is the Spyder out of factory warranty? That price seems a bit high but if you are out of factory warranty your choices are probably limited. The BEST warranty, a BRP product, is only available if your Spyder is still under the factory warranty.

I have had it on my Spyders and it has paid for itself. Just be sure that the warranty you are purchasing is likely to be accepted at dealers anywhere.

JayBros
08-06-2015, 03:31 PM
How long is the original warranty period? You can purchase the BRP B.E.S.T. extended warranty anytime before the original warranty expires. You do not have to buy it from the dealer who sold you the Spyder so you should shop around for best price. OP say Bert's Mega Mall has very good prices. I got mine from Pitbull Powersports for $300 less than my sale dealer wanted.

jtoro1
08-06-2015, 03:32 PM
I just purchased a 2012 RT-S SE5 with less than 5000 miles on it at a Can-Am dealer. Of course they recommended a 3 year extended warranty at $1250. He said that there are a lot of electronics on these and that one repair visit could cost that much.
Since I have no history with one of these, should I consider getting the extended warranty?

Yes but shop around that is not the best deal, this toy is expensive to maintain. I got mine with Zurich direct 5 extra years $850 no deductable,+ I am mechanicly handy but electronic parts are 1k +

NDSU78
08-06-2015, 04:05 PM
The factory warranty is expired. I will do some shopping around.
Thanks for the replies.

Bob Denman
08-06-2015, 05:11 PM
What is Peace of Mind worth to you? :dontknow:
I'd take it... nojoke

jtoro1
08-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

If your warranty has expired you might want to take their offer

Pennyrick
08-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I would negotiate with the dealer. This is a very, very negotiable item that can run from as low as $750 through Bert's Mega Mall (even if the factory warranty has expired) up to as high as $2,500 from some dealers for a three year term. Given the low mileage and (hopefully) a very clean service record (if it isn't the dealer needs to explain why).... you should be able to grind that price down somewhat. I would offer them $800 and see where it goes from there. Anything around $1,000 should be a good deal.

NorCalBud
08-06-2015, 06:34 PM
I LOVE my Spyder!!! That said, there is nothing cheap when it comes to parts or labor for these machines. If you can whittle that price down (given the warranty's expired) it would more than likely pay for itself after a shop visit or 2. I've only had a couple of minor issues, but the "Peace of Mind" is almost priceless.

gkamer
08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
I have had it on my Spyders and it has paid for itself. Just be sure that the warranty you are purchasing is likely to be accepted at dealers anywhere.

How would you know if dealers around the county would accept the warranty? You can't really trust the salesperson. They want to make a sale so would be inclined to pretty much tell you anything you want to hear in order to make that happen?

gkamer
08-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering where in the Spokane Valley you're buying your Spyder?

NDSU78
08-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Just wondering where in the Spokane Valley you're buying your Spyder?
I bought it from Nick Cooper at Allsport. The guy doing the paperwork offered the warranty.
Nick said that he worked at the place that sold Can-Am on the north side before it closed. Nice young man and seemed knowledgeable on the Spyder.

BikerDoc
08-06-2015, 08:23 PM
I might price shop but I would never own a spyder out of warranty. Repair costs can be astronomical if anything goes wrong

Tdugas
08-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Yes I would get the extended warrant I have a 2012 RT SE5 and I changed oil and found cravings all in engine from a clutch bolt backing out and rubbing on cover, engine has to come completely down ..

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 06:55 AM
I might price shop but I would never own a spyder out of warranty. Repair costs can be astronomical if anything goes wrong

:agree:

bronzeflex42
08-07-2015, 07:43 AM
:agree: with all the comments. It is best to get that warranty, just to have a piece of mind for the next few years of ownership. Rather pay a small deductible than a large repair bill if something does go wrong with your :spyder:.

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 08:18 AM
But here's to hoping that you NEVER have to use it!! :cheers: :2thumbs:

MRH
08-08-2015, 12:51 AM
I would find the best deal from a very reputable company and get the longest warranty you possibly can. I has a Western warranty that wasn't bad on my first Spyder, and my current one is the factory BRP warranty that came with it for four years. I will buy the fifth year they offer.

murphybrown
08-08-2015, 11:12 AM

I always buy the extended warranty...Spyders are very costly to work on....but it is an insurance....which is always just that; you vs. the seller....On my '10 I payed for the extended warranty cost at least a couple times and when I traded it in had a year left and that helped with the trade in value. My '14 is still under warranty, but I have the extended in the "wings".:yes:

DrewNJ
08-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Only you can answer that question. For some people that aren't so mechanically inclined it's a necessity. For some of us who know our way around a tool box and a service manual, they are a total waste.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk