PDA

View Full Version : Iron Butt Dinner Friday March 6 - JAX

Stuart49
01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
The official announcement was just posted for the Iron Butt Annual Dinner Party in Jacksonville, FL for Friday March 6. I've not missed this dinner in 6 years, although it can be dicey riding down from PA in early March. The temp typically does not reach 40F until southern VA or the Carolinas.

This dinner is limited to Iron Butt certified members and their guests. Last March saw only two Spyders at this dinner.

Pending other issues (and the weather) I intend to ride down from Pittsburgh on Thursday afternoon 5th, making perhaps SC before stopping for the night. Continue to Jax early Friday.

If any non-IBA Spyder Riders would like to meet some serious motorcyclists contact me about bringing you as my guest(s).

Stuart Ostroff
IBA #11000

Attached - friendly chat on my route home from Jax

GeminiJane
01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Stuart,

I'm impressed that you made the trip on the Spyder with just a tank bag and a pack on the back. (But I'm forgetting the trunk..duh!) I haven't toured yet on the Spyder and am just starting to think about what set-up I want on it. I think I'm going for the Givi bags.
Question for you ....is that the BRP tank bag you are using. I purchased mine with the bike in Oct. and never put it on since I haven't needed my Autocom, etc. hooked up yet for just 200 mile day trips. Your tank bag looks bigger than I remember the BRP one being, but I like the way it fits the bike.

Thanks,
Jane

Director
01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Stuart,

I'm impressed that you made the trip on the Spyder with just a tank bag and a pack on the back. (But I'm forgetting the trunk..duh!) I haven't toured yet on the Spyder and am just starting to think about what set-up I want on it. I think I'm going for the Givi bags.
Question for you ....is that the BRP tank bag you are using. I purchased mine with the bike in Oct. and never put it on since I haven't needed my Autocom, etc. hooked up yet for just 200 mile day trips. Your tank bag looks bigger than I remember the BRP one being, but I like the way it fits the bike.

Thanks,
Jane

Jane, if I recall correctly from much earlier posts, Stuart went with the Held Scotty tank bag. I googled it, and here is a link to one vendor. I don't know anything about this particular seller, but there is a photo of the bag on this site as well:

http://www.ridesafer.com/Held_Scotty_Tank_Bag_p/4513-01.htm

Cheers,

Bruce

NancysToy
01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Stuart,

Thanks,
Jane
We used the bag once, and it left black marks on the tank after getting wet. They did polish off, with some effort. If you do use it, I would suggest fastening a piece of craft foam to the bottom.
-Scotty

smokster
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
The official announcement was just posted for the Iron Butt Annual Dinner Party in Jacksonville, FL for Friday March 6. I've not missed this dinner in 6 years, although it can be dicey riding down from PA in early March. The temp typically does not reach 40F until southern VA or the Carolinas.

This dinner is limited to Iron Butt certified members and their guests. Last March saw only two Spyders at this dinner.

Pending other issues (and the weather) I intend to ride down from Pittsburgh on Thursday afternoon 5th, making perhaps SC before stopping for the night. Continue to Jax early Friday.

If any non-IBA Spyder Riders would like to meet some serious motorcyclists contact me about bringing you as my guest(s).

Stuart Ostroff
IBA #11000

Attached - friendly chat on my route home from Jax
WOW, must be a good dinner...taste like chicken?

GeminiJane
01-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks Bruce and Scotty for the responses. I do remember reading that some did have problems with the BRP "staining" their tanks, especially if they got wet so I haven't been in any hurry to mount mine when I don't really need it for daily "local" rides. After checking out the Held, I guess it doesn't actually have much more capacity than the BRP but I like the design.

NancysToy
01-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks Bruce and Scotty for the responses. I do remember reading that some did have problems with the BRP "staining" their tanks, especially if they got wet so I haven't been in any hurry to mount mine when I don't really need it for daily "local" rides. After checking out the Held, I guess it doesn't actually have much more capacity than the BRP but I like the design.
I shouldn' hijack Stuart's thread again, but I wanted to provide a quick update. Nancy told me that she has actually used the bag a couple of more times since I provided a piece of craft foam for a pad. With the trunk, it is often unnecessary, since we ride very far together, I lead, and she needs no maps. She also has the rear seat bag, which she uses when commuting to school. She also doesn't need it to hold her iPod and such, since they go into the trunk to hook up to the comm system. If I steal the Spyder again for a journey, I will certainly take the bag for my maps, but it certainly is small, especially in the map case department, and the trunk is handy enough for the gloves and such.

Stuart, very generous offer. Wish I could attend. More so, wish I had earned the right to attend in my own right. Maybe someday. Hope your weather beats ours. Several inches more snow to shovel here this morning. Would make for a difficult ride to FLA. Hopefully March will be better.
-Scotty

docdoru
01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Stuart Ostroff
IBA #11000

I'll attend the dinner party also.
DT
IBA # 34711
SS1K