PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Arizona roads, views, out of the way places

Rawhide kid
08-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Ok Arizonans, what are your favorite off the beaten (but decent) roads you'd recommend? I've done the obvious Sedona rates, but drove my truck on 73 south of pinetop a few weeks ago and it was beautiful. Nasty rain storm hit, with hail and wind too, but what a beautiful area.

Any two lane recommendations? Got my spyder almost ready for a longish ride and I'm itching to go. Prefer trees but a nice desert ride may be ok too. Lakes, streams, vistas, etc.

dont mind driving several hours from Phoenix, but let's keep this mostly in state or along the state fringes. I might post in Utah or Colorado a similar request.

Thanks all! Oh, and love wineries and beer places too! Let's start a list!

Pampurrs
08-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Ok Arizonans, what are your favorite off the beaten (but decent) roads you'd recommend? I've done the obvious Sedona rates, but drove my truck on 73 south of pinetop a few weeks ago and it was beautiful. Nasty rain storm hit, with hail and wind too, but what a beautiful area.

Any two lane recommendations? Got my spyder almost ready for a longish ride and I'm itching to go. Prefer trees but a nice desert ride may be ok too. Lakes, streams, vistas, etc.

dont mind driving several hours from Phoenix, but let's keep this mostly in state or along the state fringes. I might post in Utah or Colorado a similar request.

Have you done the Salt River Canyon? That's one of my favorites. How about the 89a from Prescott to Jerorme? Another one of my favorites with 158 curves in 12 miles.

There're lots more, those are the ones that pop into my head.

Pam

robr32
08-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Have you done the Salt River Canyon? That's one of my favorites. How about the 89a from Prescott to Jerorme? Another one of my favorites with 158 curves in 12 miles.

Pam

SRC !! :agree:

Phoenix \ Payson \ Strawberry_ Pine \ Camp Verde \ Jerome \ Prescott \ Yarnell \ Phoenix Loop :2thumbs:

Devil's Highway ( Can be done in one day but a overnighter is funner as a group )

Yarnell and/or Skull Valley for breakfast is a fun morning ride out of the valley

Places to go
1) Titan Missile Museum
2) Pima Air & Space Museum
3) Various Indian Ruins around the state
4) Tombstone, Az
5) Mount Lemmon near Tucson :thumbup:
6) Various Mining Towns around the state
Etc..

I have a bunch of rides written down which I will add to our Facebook page once it is created :clap:

Pampurrs
08-06-2015, 01:24 PM
SRC !! :agree:

Phoenix \ Payson \ Strawberry_ Pine \ Camp Verde \ Jerome \ Prescott \ Yarnell \ Phoenix Loop :2thumbs:

Devil's Highway ( Can be done in one day but a overnighter is funner as a group )

Yarnell and/or Skull Valley for breakfast is a fun morning ride out of the valley

Places to go
1) Titan Missile Museum
2) Pima Air & Space Museum
3) Various Indian Ruins around the state
4) Tombstone, Az
5) Mount Lemmon near Tucson :thumbup:
6) Various Mining Towns around the state
Etc..

I have a bunch of rides written down which I will add to our Facebook page once it is created :clap:

Lunch at the Iron Door Restaurant atop Mount Lemmon!:yes:

Pam

AMTJIM
08-06-2015, 01:45 PM
A loop you might like is I-10 From GoodYear to Park Link Rd near Picacho and take that back to Oracle, Mammoth and Globe then home. The Ride out to Aravaca and Patagonia is nice, there's a popular coffee house called Arabac and places to eat closer to patagonia. The Tombstone/Bisbee run is fun, Screaming Banshee pizza and other hidden food locations. Of Course, 191 is great fun once you it Morenci...not sure anymore, but was unpatrolled unlike the Dragon tail. Lots of car clubs and motorcycles roll thru there, many choices for camping and cabins in the Alpine, Greer areas.

GRNLANTERN_00
08-15-2015, 05:53 PM

Pam

Yes!!! The Prescott to Jerome ride is awesome. Don't forget to stop and eat at the Haunted Hamburger when you are there!

GRNLANTERN_00
08-15-2015, 06:04 PM

If you come from Apache Junction take the 60 to the 79 into Florence stay on the 79 it will bring you to the 77 which will bring you into Catalina, the backside of Tucson. Then Jump on I-10 East for I want to say about 30 miles to get around Tucson. Then take HWY 83 south to Sonoita. There are a few wineries there and in Elgin just a few miles away. Patagonia is another 15 Miles west of Sonoita where the Velvet Elvis a very popular restaurant. Keep in mind these are all small towns with a gas station and a couple small Inn's if you want to stay the night. Sierra Vista and Bisbee are a short ride away as well.

Pampurrs
08-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Any of you Zonies recognize the location in this photo? It was taken today on a ride with 18 Harleys, a Victory, and 1 Spyder. (Guess who was on the Spyder)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113722&stc=1

GRNLANTERN_00
08-15-2015, 06:21 PM
The Bisbee Tunnel?

Pampurrs
08-15-2015, 06:23 PM
The Bisbee Tunnel?

Nope :)

Pampurrs
08-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Any of you Zonies recognize the location in this photo? It was taken today on a ride with 19 Harleys and 1 Spyder. (Guess who was on the Spyder)

Hint: It's on the US 60:popcorn:

M109Dreamer
08-15-2015, 10:39 PM
Any of you Zonies recognize the location in this photo? It was taken today on a ride with 19 Harleys and 1 Spyder. (Guess who was on the Spyder)

Thats the tunnel from superior to globe.

Another ride I like is Superior to Winkelman back into Globe, you go through the copper mine there. Nice fairly short ride and Superior has some good Bfast places.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

M109Dreamer
08-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Wife and I rode 666 (devils hwy) a couple years ago from Alpine all the way down to the border. We took 3 days to ride it. We really neat.

Pampurrs
08-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Thats the tunnel from superior to globe.

Another ride I like is Superior to Winkelman back into Globe, you go through the copper mine there. Nice fairly short ride and Superior has some good Bfast places.

Yup. Queen Creek tunnel ☺

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

GOZFST
08-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Butler Maps has a really good M/C roads map for AZ.

kbwitt
08-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Salt river canon in my opinion is number one. Keep going to pie town NM have greenchilie pork srew and piece of pie. Great day

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Salt river canon in my opinion is number one. Keep going to pie town NM have greenchilie pork srew and piece of pie. Great day

:agree: SRC is one of my favories

kngfsh27
08-16-2015, 10:17 AM
I have been through the tunnel and the Salt River Canyon several times. Gotta watch the twisties in the canyon early in the morning with frost on the road. Rolled out of Mesa at 0530 and it was 85 deg. Not far up the road I saw a sign and it was below 50. The town Miami is pretty neat also. Are there still wrecked vehicles in the canyon? I haven't been out that way for a few years. I also enjoyed Holbrook to Mesa via 377-260-87.

AMTJIM
08-16-2015, 01:17 PM
We did a large sloppy figure 8 last night that included the lizard tail(old sonoita highway). Looked like all the racetracks in Vail were busy.

robr32
08-17-2015, 12:49 PM
:agree: SRC is one of my favories

There is / was a cop that always hung out at " Top Of The World " & would pull people over all the time...I go extra slow thru there now just to be on the safe side
He pulled over like ( 10 ) of us at one time on our sportbikes once, you should have seen his face when we took off out helmets and we were a bunch of older farts...Haha :roflblack: