PDA

View Full Version : Baja Ron Sway Bar Regrets

MRH
08-06-2015, 01:15 AM
I put the sway bar on my Spyder on Monday, and took it out for about 200 miles of mostly canyon riding on Tuesday, and am feeling really regretful THAT IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO GET ONE THESE DAMN THINGS!

I kept hearing from everybody here how great it was, and how it would add stability to your ride, especially in the curves, and I just didn't believe it enough to fork over the cash and pay to have it installed.

37,000 miles that would have been even better, and easily worth both bars I would have needed to install (two Spyders over the last three years).

Yes, it's worth it. Thanks, Ron.

Chupaca
08-06-2015, 01:21 AM
A happy die hard...glad you took the leap cause I can see the effect too...:yes::yes:yor a happy camper. Didn't take me as long but I was a bit of a skeptic myself...after that I went a couple of steps further and wow again....enjoy your new ryde...:2thumbs:

jcspyder
08-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Took me 7K to come to my senses, but just as you said, couldn't be happier that I finally did it. Significantly improved stability and cornering, even on a 2014 RT.

Pirate looks at --
08-06-2015, 07:17 AM
I put the sway bar on my Spyder on Monday, and took it out for about 200 miles of mostly canyon riding on Tuesday, and am feeling really regretful THAT IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO GET ONE THESE DAMN THINGS!

I kept hearing from everybody here how great it was, and how it would add stability to your ride, especially in the curves, and I just didn't believe it enough to fork over the cash and pay to have it installed.

37,000 miles that would have been even better, and easily worth both bars I would have needed to install (two Spyders over the last three years).

Yes, it's worth it. Thanks, Ron.

We told you so!

Pampurrs
08-06-2015, 09:21 AM
I love reading these stories where someone had an epiphany after installing the BajaRon Sway Bar.:yes:

I made the decision to install mine right after I picked up my new :spyder2: from the dealer, and rode it 140 miles home through the twisties. Best thing I have done to the :ani29:.

Pam

fjcady
08-06-2015, 03:15 PM
will the baja ron hemi links work on the f3? thanks:yes::yes:

mrb
08-06-2015, 05:05 PM

Yes they will.

Gonenuts
08-06-2015, 06:20 PM
After installing the bar I only had enough time for short night rides but on Sunday I went for a 5 hour round trip ride through a few canyons and highway speeds of 80 MPH. I'm a newbie with just over 1,300 miles on the bike but it just seem to click on Sunday and for the first time I smiled giving up the two wheels!:yes:

A new forum rule to signing up for this site should be; Change sway bar and send picture. Am I wrong?

BajaRon
08-06-2015, 08:35 PM

I've had my Anti-Sway Bar called a 'Swap' Bar, a 'Swat' Bar, etc.

Poor Mr. Heim gets similar treatment. I'm not giving you or anyone else a hard time. It's not a big deal and I know most do not encounter these components very often, if ever.

Here is a short history on Mr. Heim's joint ends, or spherical rod ends as they are also properly called.

History of the "Heim" Joint

The World War II era has been the product of many of inventions, which are still with us even today. When allied forces captured their first German planes, they discovered a strange and unique looking device pioneered by German aircraft designer, Messerschmitt… the now famous Spherical Rod End!

A single United States firm, the H.G. Heim company, was contracted the exclusive opportunity to duplicate this new joint, and was granted all U.S. patents to this device. Still to this day the Spherical Rod End retains the nickname, "Heim Joint". When the Korean War was finally over, the surplus aircraft parts market literally took to the sky and numerous variations of rod end sources became available at a faction of their original cost when produced by the H.G. Heim company.

While many of these rod ends were designed for aircraft, they simply were not up to the much more demanding task of handling the forces of the suspension links that race cars required. Economical, high quality rod ends did not appear until the late 1970's where they were produced by a Japanese company, called N.M.B., which the U.S. government caught selling their rod ends below cost into the U.S. market. N.M.B. bought a U.S. company, N.H.B.B. (New Hampshire Ball Bearing) in order to continue selling in the U.S. They continue to make aircraft-quality rod ends today.

A U.S. company, Superior Industries, began to mass produce economical rod ends for the power transmission industry as the Heim patents ran out. Over the course of a few years people from Superior formed Aurora, National, and numerous other individual rod end companies. Today there are countless American companies producing rod ends in the U.S. These products cover all the bases from super-low cost stamped steel bodies used in control links for lawn tractors, to jet aircraft, land speed record cars, the space shuttle and nuclear submarines.

kbwitt
08-07-2015, 09:13 PM
This an Item that BRP should be doing, probally would sell more cycles

wiredgeorge
08-08-2015, 10:51 AM
This an Item that BRP should be doing, probally would sell more cycles

BRP/Can-Am already has installed an anti-sway bar and Heim (Hemi does sound better!) links. The anti-sway bar is inadequate as it is too thin and the Heim links are plastic (or something similar). What they could have done was to put a thicker anti-sway bar and metal Heim links from the factory AND used some quality front shocks. Instead they saved a few bucks and made their early RTs handle like a drunken pig. Oh yeah, align the Spyder properly before leaving the factory would help as well. The bright side is that all the Spyder handling deficiencies can be fixed rather easily with a dose of customer bucks.

Hey Can-Am... suggestion! Have a SPORT model for every model in the line up (except maybe the F3 which already has upgraded components and maybe the new ST... not sure). An RT Sport... charge $1000 more and put top grade shocks, front and rear, an adequate anti-sway bar and a laser alignment from the factory. Folks who are buying their second machine would eat this option up. I won't mention an upgrade tire option.... Kumho and Kenda tires on a motorcycle are considered junk by many experienced riders. I think the term low-bidder comes to mind.

Pampurrs
08-08-2015, 11:22 AM
BRP/Can-Am already has installed an anti-sway bar and Heim (Hemi does sound better!) links. The anti-sway bar is inadequate as it is too thin and the Heim links are plastic (or something similar). What they could have done was to put a thicker anti-sway bar and metal Heim links from the factory AND used some quality front shocks. Instead they saved a few bucks and made their early RTs handle like a drunken pig. Oh yeah, align the Spyder properly before leaving the factory would help as well. The bright side is that all the Spyder handling deficiencies can be fixed rather easily with a does of customer bucks.

Hey Can-Am... suggestion! Have a SPORT model for every model in the line up (except maybe the F3 which already has upgraded components and maybe the new ST... not sure). An RT Sport... charge $1000 more and put top grade shocks, front and rear, an adequate anto-sway bar and a laser alignment from the factory. Folks who are buying their second machine wouild eat this option up. I won't mention an upgrade tire option.... Kumho and Kenda tires on a motorcycle are considered junk by many experienced riders. I think the term low-bidder comes to mind.

I agree with most of the above, with the exception of the part about aligning the Spyders at the factory. If I'm not mistaken, the alignment is performed by the dealer when they assemble the machines out of the crate. I would be in favor of BRP requiring the dealers to do a better job of aligning.

Pam

wiredgeorge
08-08-2015, 12:49 PM
If alignment is dealer prep, it should be done properly at a dealer's... no argument there.

BajaRon
08-08-2015, 03:49 PM
If alignment is dealer prep, it should be done properly at a dealer's... no argument there.

Alignments are done at the factory during assembly.

3-togo
08-08-2015, 04:42 PM

Just curious, does installing the Bajaron Ron sway bar effect warranty if installed by dealer ? How about DIY ?
Pete

OJ UK
08-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Just curious, does installing the Bajaron Ron sway bar effect warranty if installed by dealer ? How about DIY ?
Pete

No...it won't, assuming it's fitted correctly. Thousands have been fitted and if the there had been any warranty issues we would have known
by now.

BajaRon
08-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Pete

Never had an issue either way.

dhawker
08-30-2016, 04:23 PM
We told you so!

Hey, I noticed in your signature line that your 2016 F3 Limited doesn't have the baja ron sway bar listed as installed. Are they not necessary on this model? I just purchased a 2016 F3 Limited myself that I plan on using 2 up to travel on, so I am curious if these are needed or not. I know the F3 T and Limited have the "Sachs big bore shocks" so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Dalan

Bob Denman
08-30-2016, 04:56 PM
:welcome:
The answer is: it depends on what YOU decide the bike might need... :thumbup:

Sam Mac
08-30-2016, 06:04 PM

The factory alignment is a total joke. Someone needs to explain to me how something that is aligned properly can have as much toe out as it does form the factory. Took me about 5 miles to figure out that my 2014 RTL was aligned by someone doing drugs. Get your ride properly aligned and put the Baja Ron sway bar on it. I also recommend the Baja Ron shock adjusters. Just my 2 cents but I consider this to be a safety issue.

Lastchance
08-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Hey, I noticed in your signature line that your 2016 F3 Limited doesn't have the baja ron sway bar listed as installed. Are they not necessary on this model? I just purchased a 2016 F3 Limited myself that I plan on using 2 up to travel on, so I am curious if these are needed or not. I know the F3 T and Limited have the "Sachs big bore shocks" so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Dalan

(http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/p/can_am/706202018/sway-bar) All F3 models have the same sway bar part # 706202018 it's up to you if you think you need it or not, I thought my F3S did so I put one on.

Pirate looks at --
08-30-2016, 06:29 PM

Dalan
Glad you are paying attention! You are correct, I have not put the Baja Ron Bar on the F3L. Lower center of gravity less body roll and better shocks. But that doesn't mean that I am not going to add one. I am still in the ryde it and see stage (just over 2000 miles). Honestly out of the box it does not need much! At the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally I am going to get it Squared Away with the laser alignment and see how that effects the handling. But even as hard as I ryde I am really happy with the ryde!

SteveLaoyster
08-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Hi Guys! Eventually I would like to get a BajaRon sway bar on my RT-S that is getting delivered this week. I was told that it would have to be installed by a shop so as to not void the warranty. I'm wondering if this is correct or am I able to install it myself without any warranty issues? Thanks.

Peter Aawen
08-30-2016, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that as long as it's fitted correctly (& I reckon it'd be bloody hard NOT to be fitted correctly by anyone!!) then it won't void your warranty!! :thumbup:

But hey, for whoever came up with that one, good attempt at sucking you in to spending money with them... :rolleyes:

bcer960
08-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Hi Guys! Eventually I would like to get a BajaRon sway bar on my RT-S that is getting delivered this week. I was told that it would have to be installed by a shop so as to not void the warranty. I'm wondering if this is correct or am I able to install it myself without any warranty issues? Thanks.

I specifically asked my "Platinum BRP Dealer" if the sway bar, or me installing it would affect the warranty, and was told no.

TheCajun1957
08-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Ok, so can I install a BajaRon sway bar on my spyder at home? Does the spyder need a alignment after the sway bar has been installed?

Peter Aawen
08-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Yes, most people who can spin a spanner &/or operate a floor jack can install a sway bar at home - in the driveway or shed is probably recommended, but I have seen a couple done in the living room (you really need a doorway that's wide enough to get the Spyder in tho!!) :D

..... Does the spyder need a alignment after the sway bar has been installed?

Only if it needed an alignment before you installed the sway bar!! :thumbup:

Have you had it properly aligned by anyone apart from the selling dealer?? If not, then it would probably benefit from a 'proper' alignment - try a 'Squared Away' alignment, those you see here on SpyderLovers; or at least a laser/ROLO alignment that aligns the front wheels with the rear wheel rather than vaguely working off the frame! ;)

JP58
08-30-2016, 08:14 PM
The Anti sway bar was the first thing I got after I bought my RT-S. Couldn't stand the twitchiness of it. Then the bump skid. Love the bar. My buddy and I both bought 15 RT-S a week apart. I got the bar and we rode the twisties. He couldn't believe I was on his tail the whole time. We switched bikes and he was way ahead of me. I cost him another 300.00 bucks for a bar. Get the Laser Alignment to.

TheCajun1957
08-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Yes, most people who can spin a spanner &/or operate a floor jack can install a sway bar at home - in the driveway or shed is probably recommended, but I have seen a couple done in the living room (you really need a doorway that's wide enough to get the Spyder in tho!!) :D

Only if it needed an alignment before you installed the sway bar!! :thumbup:

Have you you had it properly aligned by anyone apart from the selling dealer?? If not, then it would probably benefit from a 'proper' alignment - try a 'Squared Away' alignment, those you see here on SpyderLovers, or at least a laser/ROLO alignment that aligns the front wheels with the rear wheel rather than the frame! ;)

Am still a newbie on the spyder, I have only put about 400 miles on the bike and still a little sloppy on turns. I have a cycle license but had not ridden for about 20 years prior to getting the spyder. I love the bike and have a few more things to do to it, I am 6'2", need to work on seat and maybe 3 way handle bars but without squishing my lady behind me. I am trying to find out what will help me with having a smoother ride in turns besides just practice.

SteveLaoyster
08-30-2016, 08:58 PM
I specifically asked my "Platinum BRP Dealer" if the sway bar, or me installing it would affect the warranty, and was told no.

Thanks for the input. It'll save me some money for other farkles.:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

BajaRon
08-30-2016, 09:35 PM

This is not true... Putting it on yourself will not cause any issues at all. The F3 is by far the easiest bar install of any Spyder (once you get it lifted to the proper height). It would be pretty difficult to install a bar kit wrong. I've not had anyone who has gotten it wrong yet. And believe me. It it is possible, someone will do it.

Ok, so can I install a BajaRon sway bar on my spyder at home? Does the spyder need a alignment after the sway bar has been installed?

The Bar Kit will not affect alignment. If your alignment is bad before you install the bar. It will be just as bad after you install the bar. And Vise-Versa!

Am still a newbie on the spyder, I have only put about 400 miles on the bike and still a little sloppy on turns. I have a cycle license but had not ridden for about 20 years prior to getting the spyder. I love the bike and have a few more things to do to it, I am 6'2", need to work on seat and maybe 3 way handle bars but without squishing my lady behind me. I am trying to find out what will help me with having a smoother ride in turns besides just practice.

Practicing good turn procedure will certainly help. But there are some inherent suspension issues that make going through turns more difficult than it should be. Especially 2-Up. A great deal of this added difficulty centers around too much lean. Too much lean causes a number of negative things to happen. Control the lean and you control the machine.

The bar kit does a lot of things. But one way you can tell if it will help you is if you are always having to 'RE-Adjust' in your turns. In other words. You notice that when you go into a turn you have to adjust your steering angle to stay where you want in your lane. Te technical term is 'Over-Steer' ~ 'Under-Steer'. The stock sway bar is too weak creating a decending oscillation between these 2 conditions. With a correctly set up suspension. You go into a turn or curve and that's it. No adjustments to the handlebar angle needed unless the radius or the camber of the turn changes. But with the stock setup. The initial turn-in causes the Spyder to lean excessively which changes the front tire alignment giving you 'Over-Steer'. So you have to adjust the handlebar angle to compensate. This adjustment reduces centrifugal force reducing the lean angle. This changes the front wheel alignment giving you an 'Under-Steer' condition requiring another handle bar angle adjustment to compensate.

Depending on the speed, severity of the turn or curve and other variables. You may have to make 3 or 4 adjustments before everything settle in.

Do you get worn out when riding your Spyder in the twisties? Well, multiply steering input by 3 or 4 times for each turn and you can see. It will add up to fatigue quickly. The sway bar upgrade goes a long way towards correcting this and other suspension related issues.

With the sway bar installed, when you go into the turn correctly, you should not need any further adjustment of the steering angle unless the radius or camber of the turn changes. It's a real joy when compared to an OEM suspension.

trikerbiker645
08-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Actually this question is for Bob Denman.....how long have you been retired? With your amount of posts which since you joined is 33+ per day if you are on here and posting everyday I have to assume your retired? Congrats , I'll call on you when I can't find it via search! safe riding:clap:

irvin48
08-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Actually this question is for Bob Denman.....how long have you been retired? With your amount of posts which since you joined is 33+ per day if you are on here and posting everyday I have to assume your retired? Congrats , I'll call on you when I can't find it via search! safe riding:clap:

:2thumbs::2thumbs: irv

wengerda
08-31-2016, 09:04 AM

Yes it will work, I installed a Bajaron Sway Bar with hemi links on F3 Limited. It works great.

dhawker
08-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Glad you are paying attention! You are correct, I have not put the Baja Ron Bar on the F3L. Lower center of gravity less body roll and better shocks. But that doesn't mean that I am not going to add one. I am still in the ryde it and see stage (just over 2000 miles). Honestly out of the box it does not need much! At the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally I am going to get it Squared Away with the laser alignment and see how that effects the handling. But even as hard as I ryde I am really happy with the ryde!

Thanks for the reply. My sentiments exactly, wait a bit and see how it rides. This is my first CanAm Spyder so I don't really have anything to compare it to, so I rely heavily on this forums wealth of knowledge. Even though I won't be selling my Triumph motorcycle anytime soon, I sure am having a lot of fun with the F3. It's like a whole new way to experience riding, and puts a big stupid grin on my face.

Wildrice
08-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Yes, most people who can spin a spanner &/or operate a floor jack can install a sway bar at home - in the driveway or shed is probably recommended, but I have seen a couple done in the living room (you really need a doorway that's wide enough to get the Spyder in tho!!) :D ....

I think working on a bike in the living room is disgusting---that's what a front office is for:yes:136817
Darrell:clap:

Myron Ah
08-31-2016, 07:24 PM
So glad to see this post. I'm scheduled to get one put on at Spyderquest and laser alinement next Wednesday morning. Riding from Maine Tuesday. Three rides during the week and back to Maine on Sunday should tell me if I like it.;)

gcoyne9825
10-16-2018, 06:13 AM
We had heard about the handling improvement after installing the BAJA RON anti-sway bar, and let me just say, it's a very noticeable and much appreciated improvement. Gone is the aggressive lean angle in curves and the sway often experienced due to the curvature of the road has been eliminated as well. The bike feels planted. Also, sway caused by cross winds has been eliminated as well. So glad we had it installed by Netzley Tire at the Maggie Valley Spyder Rally, October 2018.

SpyderLinder
08-11-2021, 06:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtZkQlcWt8&t=2s - Pierre loves the BajaRon Swaybars!!! Best quote of the video, when asked why you should install them: "It's like going from a Toyota Corolla to a BMW" Great job, @BajaRon!

pegasus1300
08-11-2021, 08:37 AM
This thread started 2 months after I bought my Spyder and was a great help in understanding why I needed to add this to my Spyder. It needs to be a sticky in the required reading for new owners section. Thank you Ron for coming up with this addition and making our routine maintenance cheaper and easier.

SpyderLinder
08-11-2021, 08:48 AM
This thread started 2 months after I bought my Spyder and was a great help in understanding why I needed to add this to my Spyder. It needs to be a sticky in the required reading for new owners section. Thank you Ron for coming up with this addition and making our routine maintenance cheaper and easier.

#BajaRon has been AMAZING to work with! I am going to add this to my 'to do' list for my Spyder - but first I need to find a place in Maine where I can get that awesome laser alignment. (will have to search the threads when I'm ready)