PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Perception of the Spyder in the MC Community

Fjrwillie
08-05-2015, 07:12 AM
I hail from NE and associate myself with the New England Riders (NER). Since they have gone FB it has really broadened the rider base. Someone posted up a picture of 4 or 5 Spyders parked in a row. It kind of looked like a BRP commercial shot. Nevertheless the comments flowed with many saying they don't consider the Spyder a motorcycle or it is for those that can not ride 2 wheels and similar comments. I posted up a couple of comments. The first one was I ride 2 wheels pretty good and I consider it a motorcycle. A couple more comments toward the negative side and I said, Having 175,000+ miles on a bike I don't see any difference from a Ural hack, Goldwing trike, HD trike, or even a Burgman scooter. Whether you ride a cruiser, sport tourer, a UJM they are all bikes, including the Spyder. It is my sense a lot of the negative comments came from those riders that maybe ride 1000 miles in a season. Interesting points of view. I now assume I won't get any waves back while on the road. :doorag::shocked:

Willie

Pirate looks at --
08-05-2015, 07:25 AM
I hail from NE and associate myself with the New England Riders (NER). Since they have gone FB it has really broadened the rider base. Someone posted up a picture of 4 or 5 Spyders parked in a row. It kind of looked like a BRP commercial shot. Nevertheless the comments flowed with many saying they don't consider the Spyder a motorcycle or it is for those that can not ride 2 wheels and similar comments. I posted up a couple of comments. The first one was I ride 2 wheels pretty good and I consider it a motorcycle. A couple more comments toward the negative side and I said, Having 175,000+ miles on a bike I don't see any difference from a Ural hack, Goldwing trike, HD trike, or even a Burgman scooter. Whether you ride a cruiser, sport tourer, a UJM they are all bikes, including the Spyder. It is my sense a lot of the negative comments came from those riders that maybe ride 1000 miles in a season. Interesting points of view. I now assume I won't get any waves back while on the road. :doorag::shocked:

Willie

The great thing is....it doesn't matter what they think!

Deer Slayer
08-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Who cares? Just ride. You no not have to prove anything.:cheers:

wiredgeorge
08-05-2015, 07:39 AM

Willie

Wille, Maybe it is important to Spyder owners to be seen as bikers but as for me, well I don't give a hoot nor do I FB or associate myself with ride groups that are comprised of a bunch of internet warriors. Next thread will be high wave vs low wave or the Harley guys won't wave at a Spyder at all bwhahaha

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 07:40 AM
I just call mine "Fun"! :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113005&stc=1

retread
08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
There are bikers and there are posers, bikers understand that it isn't what you ride, it's that you ride. Posers don't matter.

john

Oldmanzues
08-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Plus one for Retread.
I was at bike night and two guy were talking (loudly) about being real riders. One guy said, he could afford a Harley, but he still rode over a thousand miles.....last year. the other said, I do ride a Harley and I had over over fifteenth hundred.
Several of us looked at each other, then one guy walked said, I am not sure if I am a real rider/biker or not, but we rode to CA last month and plan to ride to Boston in couple weeks, want to come a long. both of the "rel biker" just left without a word.
I do not even think about the naysayers, just ride and enjoy.
Oldmanzues

Sluggo
08-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Willie
Most of the comments are from people who can't afford a spyder bro

wyliec
08-05-2015, 09:44 AM
It's not an interesting perception; it's old and tired, and it has been covered many times over, as have the negative Harley comments.

Chupaca
08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Jelousy, envy and fear.....but then I don't ryde for the reasons they do nor associate with them. I wave to all on the road and expect nothing back cause I don't wave for a return wave and Its nice when I get one back. But their attitute and actions speak volumes of the person....:thumbup:

Brettssunshine
08-05-2015, 10:19 AM
I love my Spyder and I am so thrilled that I have an option to be able to ride with my husband. I took the 2 wheel motorcycle safety course, passed the written and bombed :opps: the riding skills test. I have no confidence in myself on two wheels when it comes to shifting gears, front brakes, rear brakes, etc. (I drive a stick...what's up with that?).

I take the three wheel course in two weeks and am so excited! So, those naysayers can kiss my :yikes:. The Spyder has given me the ability to enjoy the excitement of riding a motorcycle....my way. That's all that matters to me.

JerryB
08-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Hi Brettssunshine,

Re: I have an option to be able to ride with my husband.

If Brett is your husband, tell him that I think he is a lucky guy. And if Brett is not your husband; well, then tell your actual husband.

Jerry Baumchen

ARtraveler
08-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Here is a picture of some real :spyder2: people. No one can call them posers. Most put on 10,000 miles for this trip. Here is the half way point.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111376&d=1436649946 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3932&attachmentid=111375)

ARtraveler
08-05-2015, 02:29 PM
One more...the only posing here is for the pictures.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112027&d=1437536545

AMTJIM
08-05-2015, 02:52 PM
I love to throw a stick in the spokes of some of those neg comments whenever Can Am FB's something...It's just riding folks, there's nothing bad arse about it. I ride, drive and operate many machines and just like doing so.

robmorg
08-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Willie
Good for you!! :thumbup: I especially like your last comment. But I agree with AMTJIM above.

What everyone says here about "It doesn't matter what anyone else says", etc. is all true. I especially like what retread said. But, IMHO, that doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to defend the Spyder on the NER FB page. Use positive statements and facts, not negative criticisms of other's posts. I'll bet if you do, you will soon find some comrades in that group who have like thoughts, and will also speak up. Their callow arguments just don't hold any water. Kill 'em with facts and common sense.

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 04:51 PM
It's not what you ride...
It's the fun that you have while sharing the road with your riding buddies! :thumbup:

kep-up
08-05-2015, 08:29 PM
I love my Spyder and I am so thrilled that I have an option to be able to ride with my husband. I took the 2 wheel motorcycle safety course, passed the written and bombed :opps: the riding skills test. I have no confidence in myself on two wheels when it comes to shifting gears, front brakes, rear brakes, etc. (I drive a stick...what's up with that?).

I take the three wheel course in two weeks and am so excited! So, those naysayers can kiss my :yikes:. The Spyder has given me the ability to enjoy the excitement of riding a motorcycle....my way. That's all that matters to me.

Ms. Sunshine,
I don't know Brett, but he is probably an alright guy, judging by the ladiy he hangs out with. Anyway, I want you to know I live in Mountville, and I think we should ride somewhere together sometime soon. Waddaya think?

CANUCK SPYDER
08-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Redundant for me too comment, but dudes I ride with like my SpYdeR and was mentioned here and one of my buds sais it "Not what you ride as long as your riding" Being my first bike or trike as I call it gets lots of attention and when I feel like joining in on the BS say they are quick and if they don't smoke some bikes they certainly keep right up with them ;)

Dubliner
08-10-2015, 04:52 AM
Whether they ride a thousand a year or fifteen is of no matter, they still ride! At one time I did about 25,000 plus miles a year on a Kawasaki 90cc. I went to rallies or camping on week ends. On the first engine I did 140,000 miles on the second one 250,000. Then I went on to 250's then sidecar outfits and most recently a Wing. There is no need to shame these guys or gals for that matter, they are riders. Maybe posers but still riders! Many of my miles have been in torrential rainfall and in brutal weather, in those days you wore the best gear you could afford and kept your visor down and put your shoulder to the wheel so to speak. As regards Harley riders not waving back I believe it's because they need to keep both hands on the bars to retain control of them especially in the twisties I have seen more than a few touch down at the slightest provocation at a dimple in the road or on the slightest curve. Could never understand that. A buddy of mine had a Triumph chopper, it just didn't handle but sure looked cool. But they too are riders and we share the same sun the same rain and the same ribbon of road just at different times :) I have yet to try a Spyder mainly because I have back and hip cramp issues and I need something special to take my lady and I to fun places without a fourth wheel in the other corner. So keep on waving some return the salute others are one shimmy away from falling off and may give you a nod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88reynard
08-10-2015, 05:35 AM
Wille, Maybe it is important to Spyder owners to be seen as bikers but as for me, well I don't give a hoot nor do I FB or associate myself with ride groups that are comprised of a bunch of internet warriors. Next thread will be high wave vs low wave or the Harley guys won't wave at a Spyder at all bwhahaha

:thumbup: Well said.

Here's a perspective from the owner of another brand (not yet a Spyder owner). Anyone who gets hung up on this topic from either viewpoint is missing out on the joys of the open road. Having owned many bikes you can get funny reactions for sure. At one point I owned a Nighthawk 700S and my Wing at the same time. One day I was out on the Hawk and came upon about 4-5 true blue GWRRA Wingers. I mean the vests, the pins, and the stuffed animals on the back. A nice little left handed motion of greeting was snubbed as if I was an alien. I just laughed to myself because if they knew I was a Wing owner I'm sure it would have been different.

Anyway the point I try to make George said so much better, that is Who Cares?

If any of you Pa. Spyder owners see a GL1500 Green Trike out there be sure to walk up and say hello or give us a wave because we will most likely engage or wave to you 1st.

Ride Safely everyone

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-10-2015, 08:58 AM
if i don't know you & you are not a hot babe i probably don't care what you think....er even if you are a hot babe i don't care
i enjoy riding my bike

Vt. Rider
08-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Motorcycles and Spyders.....They're different from each other, but are in the same general category (non 4 wheeled road vehicles).

Airplanes and helicopters....They're different from each other, but are in the same general category (aircraft).

No reason to look down on each other, just recognizing the differences, yet enjoying their commonalities.

sinner45
08-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Pretty much the hd riders I've seen all seem to be long haired bearded old & think they have to have loud pipes

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

AMTJIM
08-10-2015, 01:53 PM
have to have loud pipes

Couldn't agree more:thumbup:

I just think all the can't enjoy the curves or lean comments are ironic...when ever I come across them in the twisties they can hardly turn without stopping because of all the highway pegs and floor boards sparking and snagging if they lean slightly more than the kickstand...some don't even need a kickstand.

wyliec
08-10-2015, 03:56 PM
:thumbup: Well said.

Here's a perspective from the owner of another brand (not yet a Spyder owner). Anyone who gets hung up on this topic from either viewpoint is missing out on the joys of the open road.

Don't worry. This same topic will come up again, and again in the months ahead. What you've said is correct, and it to has been mentioned previously, every time this topic comes up.

Bob Denman
08-10-2015, 04:56 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113363&stc=1

PaladinLV
08-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Willie,
Having been RAISED in Lynn, I think it's just that YANKEE insensibilities :D

Now I became a Spyder rider after 50 years in the "biker" and HOG community. Never a problem here. Sure, I initially got the kidding, but those same people were all over the RT wanting to know all about it and the first few weeks I was "Demo'd" out.

On the rode, when I pull in to a "biker" spot, again no problems. I walk in converse with the crowd and on the way out - all the surprised looks and smiles when I walk over to and mount the RT.

I noticed that the ones that get the "cold shoulder" are the kevlar knights and their crotch rockets. But IMHO it's not their dress, it's not their bikes, it's their attitude and lack of experience.

AJ

Willie

Rockwall
08-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Harley riders discuss who gets to be in the "Biker Club" every 20 miles or so at the next bar and over the next couple of rounds.

PaladinLV
08-10-2015, 06:30 PM
HaHaHa!

Maybe you know the stupid ones :p

AJ

Harley riders discuss who gets to be in the "Biker Club" every 20 miles or so at the next bar and over the next couple of rounds.

redrt
08-10-2015, 07:36 PM
After 46 years of two wheels I went with a Spider F3S, not that I wanted to but the old bod has given out on long trips. Reality has set in I just can not go all day on two wheels anymore. We still have 12 bikes at home with two wheels but not for long trips. Most are vintage stuff to get out around town on nice days. We ride with some groups made up of all kinds most are older and don't care what you ride just that you can go and have fun. With the Spider I can ride all day and if my leg locks up, no big deal. All that maters is you like it and have fun, who cares what (they think). it's what you think. Enjoy the time you have to ride. Jim

Pampurrs
08-10-2015, 07:42 PM
After 46 years of two wheels I went with a Spider F3S, not that I wanted to but the old bod has given out on long trips. Reality has set in I just can not go all day on two wheels anymore. We still have 12 bikes at home with two wheels but not for long trips. Most are vintage stuff to get out around town on nice days. We ride with some groups made up of all kinds most are older and don't care what you ride just that you can go and have fun. With the Spider I can ride all day and if my leg locks up, no big deal. All that maters is you like it and have fun, who cares what (they think). it's what you think. Enjoy the time you have to ride. Jim

:agree:

dlby
08-10-2015, 08:37 PM
My God who gives a FF
How far you ride
Do you trailor
2or three wheels
How many ccs

Good grief Charlie Brown

Sissies iswhatit soundslike to me

Please---
Wave at me while you gripe about my comments

I have had nano bad experience while out and about

52 years riding & I know who I am

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

VegaSpyder
08-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I too took the 2 wheel course because at the time I thought NV required it for the Spyder. They have since changed. But 2 wheels and an engine scare the "s**t" out of me:yikes:.I bought my F3 because it has 3 wheels. I wanted the experience of a bike. I also aced the written but was miserable at riding skills for 2 wheels. I don't think anyone should be judged-just get out, ryde safe and have fun no matter what your wheel configuration is.

Bfromla
08-11-2015, 02:20 AM
The great thing is....it doesn't matter what they think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

missouriboy
08-11-2015, 10:08 AM
I also aced the written but was miserable at riding skills for 2 wheels.That's pretty close to my experience too. I just did well enough to pass the riding portion, but at 73 years I knew I was never going to ride 2 wheels in traffic again, so I didn't care... and told them so. :2thumbs:

sinner45
08-13-2015, 09:57 AM
I just took the nd abate 2 wheeler course to get reduced ins rate & when I went in to get lic they told me taking that course waived taking road test. Also hello from fargo nd don't have a lot of spyders up here either mine is 2015 f3s & it is a ball to ride have had it about 4 mo, take care &be safe out there & don't let the hd crowd bug uh they ain't as great as they think they are just sayn

RTDillon1960
08-13-2015, 07:03 PM
I try to wave at other riders as we pass. If they don't wave back I assume they are busy holding onto the bars. Changing lanes, cornering, etc. I know I can't always wave for these very reasons. If it is any other reason that is their issue, not mine. Ride and enjoy. :yes:

Robertsepolen
08-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Comparing three wheels to two wheels is kinda ridiculous anyway. Two wheels, trikes, reverse trikes, are all different creatures. You choose the equipment to achieve the goal. I find most two wheelers to be very friendly toward the spyder. Just not their preference. And when we do groups rides? Well, at the end of three hundred miles the Harleys often look at us and wish for a little more comfort. Choose the bike for what you want to accomplish at the end of the day. Not who you want to impress.

2015 RT-S

Pampurrs
08-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Comparing three wheels to two wheels is kinda ridiculous anyway. Two wheels, trikes, reverse trikes, are all different creatures. You choose the equipment to achieve the goal. I find most two wheelers to be very friendly toward the spyder. Just not their preference. And when we do groups rides? Well, at the end of three hundred miles the Harleys often look at us and wish for a little more comfort. Choose the bike for what you want to accomplish at the end of the day. Not who you want to impress.

2015 RT-S

Yesterday I went on a group ride. 18 Harleys, a Victory, and a Spyder. Nobody bitched that they had to ride with a Spyder, in fact I got many compliments and few envious comments. The only people who ever make a big deal out of it are the immature riders who haven't enough sense to realize that there are many different types of riders, and many different options to choose from. I don't care about what they think. This topic is hardly even worth discussing. :bdh:

Pam

blaqnaturalnappy
08-16-2015, 02:31 PM
I don't care what any other bike rider thinks of my spyder!....I ride with harleys,GXR's,R1's,you name it....and my GS 990 get mad respect so da hell with you if u don't consider my spyder a motorcycle. ....one thing for certain two things for sure..u sure can get killed on a spyder jus like you would on two wheels!...now can we jus ride along side each other and let the air get underneath your hair!....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

uralski
08-16-2015, 09:18 PM
"Harley riders discuss who gets to be in the "Biker Club" every 20 miles or so at the next bar and over the next couple of rounds. "
Not all Harley riders are posers. I have two: a 1942 Flathead, and a 1990 Flhtc with 97,000 mi I ride both regularly. I also have a Ural that I've ridden 15 years year round in Minnesota down to -18 If you think I'm a poser come ride with me this January! And no I wouldn't have you in my club because I don't care what you ride but apparently you do.

dlby
08-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Who are (those guys)
As seen on Butch Cassidy & Sundance

Newman & Redford

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

sandeejs
08-17-2015, 10:27 PM
....those naysayers can kiss my :yikes:..
Nuf said.
~Sandee~