PDA

View Full Version : Turning the Nanny off?

SailnDive
08-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Is there any way to turn the Nanny off? I hate the idea that there is a computer program that can take control of the bike! I am an experienced race car driver and feel that I can react better than the computer. I don't like anti-lock breaks for the same reason. Factory Cars are built to under-steer so that drivers will let off of the gas and safely make the corner. Not so on our race cars. Let me decide for myself what actions need to be taken.

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Nope... :shocked:
The engineers who designed the bike; would NEVER have completed the project, if Bosch had not come up with the VSS system for it.
The test riders said that they were just like Lawn Darts without it! :yikes:

Pirate looks at --
08-05-2015, 07:17 AM
What you have to do is find the sweet spot between driving like a Granny, and awaking the Nanny!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: She is the one that gives you the confidence to push the machine to the limits, yours and hers!

gkamer
08-05-2015, 07:54 AM
In one post you commented you didn't feel confident in the curves because you were concerned the Spyder would flip and now your asking how to turn off the system that keeps the Spyder from flipping. I'm confused.

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 07:57 AM
:agree: What gives? :dontknow:

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 08:04 AM
In one post you commented you didn't feel confident in the curves because you were concerned the Spyder would flip and now your asking how to turn off the system that keeps the Spyder from flipping. I'm confused.

:agree:x2

SailnDive
08-05-2015, 08:18 AM
:agree: What gives? :dontknow:

Because if I know how it handles...I don't need OR WANT the Nanny. If the computer was the best way to control an "on the edge" condition...then all race cars would use it...none do! Some very unstable aircraft use a computer just to make it possible to fly, The Spyder is not one of those.

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Because if I know how it handles...I don't need OR WANT the Nanny. If the computer was the best way to control an "on the edge" condition...then all race cars would use it...none do! Some very unstable aircraft use a computer just to make it possible to fly, The Spyder is not one of those.

Don't race cars have 4 wheels? :dontknow:

Pam

JayBros
08-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Hire an electrical engineer to figure out how to eliminate all the computer controls on a Spyder. Go push it as hard as you can. If you survive, good on ya. If you don't, R.I.P.

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 09:31 AM

This may sound trite; why did you buy it? At some point in the purchasing process; you had to have been made aware of it's existence? :dontknow:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113009&stc=1

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Someone posted a video awhile back of a Slingshot flipping over because they disabled the nanny. I wish I could find it.

Pam

Chupaca
08-05-2015, 09:39 AM
your on the wrong machine. There are others out there without these systems that you could ryde or you could gut the spyder and rebuild it witout the ABS, VSS, DPS, ECM, TCM etc and see how much fun and security you lose. Seems to me modern race cars have quite a bit of computer monitoring and controlling equipment, at least the formula cars. The ones without it...demolistion derby comes to mind, maybe dirt trakers. They don't need it, how hard is it to stay in a confined area in a vehicle with roll cages...:roflblack:

SailnDive
08-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Hire an electrical engineer to figure out how to eliminate all the computer controls on a Spyder. Go push it as hard as you can. If you survive, good on ya. If you don't, R.I.P.

Mountain climbers, skydivers, skin divers, race car drivers, Spelunkers, base jumpers, etc. all willing put their life at risk...and we need to allow them to do it. Each year some die doing these things...But that's OK...we know the risks. I guess I need to sell the Spyder and buy a Harley if I don't want a computer telling me what to do.

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Mountain climbers, skydivers, skin divers, race car drivers, Spelunkers, base jumpers, etc. all willing put their life at risk...and we need to allow them to do it. Each year some die doing these things...But that's OK...we know the risks. I guess I need to sell the Spyder and buy a Harley if I don't want a computer telling me what to do.

I'm curious as to how the nanny negatively affects your enjoyment of the Spyder. I ride rather aggressively, including through the twisties, and I haven't noticed any degradation of my riding experience due to the nanny. In fact, I don't even notice it's there :dontknow:

Pam

Pirate looks at --
08-05-2015, 09:55 AM

First of all, an RT is as far from a race car as you can get. If you were looking for a race car, then look at the Slingshot.......oops they have nannys too. You can go as fast as is safe through the turns on the Spyder, trust me, I have done it and lifted the wheel many a time, and that means I have hit the limits of the machine so that is as fast as it can go in that turn, with the information I have given it. So you still don't have enough experience with the machine to get it to that point yet. If you turned off the nanny now you would be toast. Oh, and last I checked Formula 1 cars are race cars...........and they are as computerized as the International Space Station!

Highwayman2013
08-05-2015, 10:02 AM
You can ride the spyder VERY aggressively without the nanny kicking in. Of course once you find her limits there are ways to get more aggressive. Bajaron's swaybar comes to mind, better tires, shocks, laser alignment all available to keep nanny a little more at bay. So when you get comfortable with the cornering, then explore other options. The last of which should be the VSS.

SailnDive
08-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I really don't plan to ride very aggressively. But I don't want to slow down excessively for these twisty W.Va. roads either. Just want to be comfortable. I'm 70, my racing and skydiving are a thing of the past. But a brisk jaunt thru the mountains can make you feel younger.

Highwayman2013
08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
So what makes you uncomfortable?

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 10:16 AM
I really don't plan to ride very aggressively. But I don't want to slow down excessively for these twisty W.Va. roads either. Just want to be comfortable. I'm 70, my racing and skydiving are a thing of the past. But a brisk jaunt thru the mountains can make you feel younger.

I'm able to keep up with all the other bikes on the best of twisties through the Arizona mountains. You should give it a try, the nanny won't slow you down as long as you ride sensibly.:thumbup:

Pam

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Someone posted a video awhile back of a Slingshot flipping over because they disabled the nanny. I wish I could find it.

Pam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCq-EuHXHE&feature=player_detailpage

garb55
08-05-2015, 11:30 AM

The Spyder is ridden on public roads and highways and on city streets
If you want to go jump off a cliff go ahead but don't grab someone and pull them over too
You would be risking the lives of other people if you could turn the nanny off
You are not the only person on the road
Turning off the nanny would be just as unsafe as driving drunk

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 11:47 AM
The Spyder is ridden on public roads and highways and on city streets
If you want to go jump off a cliff go ahead but don't grab someone and pull them over too
You would be risking the lives of other people if you could turn the nanny off
You are not the only person on the road
Turning off the nanny would be just as unsafe as driving drunk

:agree: nicely put!

Pam

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Sailn, are you a real Spyder owner or a troll trying to stir things up?

DrewNJ
08-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Ive ridden a modded aprilia powered spyder with no nanny functions as well as my own with everthing disabled (yes it can be done). The nanny really doesn't restrict riding the twisties hard as long as your smooth. It will be a nuisance when getting on it hard from a stop with the bars turned....like turning left out of a parking lot. But if you approach the turn already setup at an angle, it's "ok".
The nanny was a bit of a turd at the track when REALLY pushing it, but smoothness was really the key.
The nanny DOES restrict having some fun and showing off a bit for sure. "Riding a lawn dart"??....eh, that's really over the top on a stock powered machine. I didn't find that true at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Let's not flip that card on him just yet... :shocked:

DrewNJ
08-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Oh, why would you even consider that type of riding on an RT anyway? They aren't really known for performing well and are going to be a slug with or without a nanny.
Leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Oh, why would you even consider that type of riding on an RT anyway? They aren't really known for performing well and are going to be a slug with or without a nanny.
Leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

My RT's a slug? Well maybe it's not the scalded cat that my Victory was, but I would hardly call this a slug. Maybe a gas guzzler, but not a slug. :roflblack:

Pam

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 12:15 PM
My RT's a slug? Well maybe it's not the scalded cat that my Victory was, but I would hardly call this a slug. Maybe a gas guzzler, but not a slug. :roflblack:

Pam

Read Drew's Avatar... :shocked:

He takes it seriously!

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Read Drew's Avatar... :shocked:

He takes it seriously!

Yeah I noticed that. My kind of guy!:roflblack:

Pam

Motorcycledave
08-05-2015, 01:34 PM
When you find out how to do that please let me and the rest of the Spyder owners in the world
know... I would love to have all that gone from my machine
Dave

Is there any way to turn the Nanny off? I hate the idea that there is a computer program that can take control of the bike! I am an experienced race car driver and feel that I can react better than the computer. I don't like anti-lock breaks for the same reason. Factory Cars are built to under-steer so that drivers will let off of the gas and safely make the corner. Not so on our race cars. Let me decide for myself what actions need to be taken.

JayBros
08-05-2015, 02:26 PM
You've encountered a bunch of folks who are very partial to their Spyders and who have offered you suggestions in your two posts on how to find your limits within what Nanny will let you do. By your own admission you have not reached those limits because she has not shut you down. Pick the venue of your choosing to find out how the VSS reacts to your riding. Until you know what Nanny will and WILL NOT let you do you haven't reached the Spyder's limits.

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 02:32 PM
:agree: It sounds a bit as if the OP wants to run with the foxes, AND howl with the hounds! ;)

ARtraveler
08-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Lots of good advice above. The nanny is there for a purpose. Most people are going to go with the flow.

Those who are more daring--good for you. The advice to go to a safe place and force the nanny to kick in is good. I think you are going to find the limits to be very sufficient. If not--good for you.

To paraphrase from a commercial we occasionally hear...its your Spyder, its your life. Do be careful though. :yes:

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 02:45 PM
:agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MD-9eOWsp8o

Woodsrider
08-05-2015, 03:24 PM
This is fun. I have a non-abs sport bike and it's fun to get that challenge when the rear end starts to slip in a hard corner and you have to control it and suck the seat up your bung.....

But I wouldn't ride a spyder without nanny. It's a drive by wire machine, it's heavy, and it goes fast. If you are activating Nanny often, you're probably riding it wrong :).

Cruzr Joe
08-05-2015, 03:58 PM

Pam

Pam:

It is still laying on the side of the road. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 05:02 PM
:agree: It weighs too much to flip back over onto it's wheels... :yikes:

Roadster Renovations
08-05-2015, 06:16 PM
I have done several modifications that allow me to take twistys really hard. I have a pair of my spring stiffeners on each tire in the front and a pair on the rear. I also have a 14 lb. mesh plate that covers the underside from my bump/skid to just before the oil drain plugs. It is attached so that there is very little flex on the bike. I rarely have the nanny kick in at all. We have a State highway here with some pretty nice curves, some are posted down to 30 mph. It is a stretch about 20 miles long and I can set the cruise at 58, riding 2 up, and never slow down that whole 20 miles. The bike hangs that good.
With that being said, we were riding on a secondary road today and I took an unknown curve a little crispy and had to brake and corner at the same time. I could feel nanny right there with me through the brake pedal. She was waiting and did not interfere. I like it. It is the best of both worlds. Man and machine in perfect harmony. I know it makes me a better rider.
If you think the nanny will take so much away from your ride as to lose the excitement you are sadly mistaken. You want to get crazy enough on that RT, nanny or not, you can lose your life quickly.
Ride that bike 20k as it is and come back and tell us the same. I doubt if you will.......one way or another.

Bob Denman
08-05-2015, 06:29 PM
:clap: :agree:

flaggerphil
08-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Personally, I think you should spend a lot more time with the bike before you say what you're saying. I've raced cars, I've raced bikes, I'm still involved with car racing and I've been riding street bikes since 1968. I've got over 20,000 miles on my Spyder and there's no way I'd want the Nanny turned off.

Give it more time and learn your Spyder inside out before trying to turn off something that was designed into the bike.

IMHO.

Pampurrs
08-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Personally, I think you should spend a lot more time with the bike before you say what you're saying. I've raced cars, I've raced bikes, I'm still involved with car racing and I've been riding street bikes since 1968. I've got over 20,000 miles on my Spyder and there's no way I'd want the Nanny turned off.

Give it more time and learn your Spyder inside out before trying to turn off something that was designed into the bike.

IMHO.

:agree:

flaggerphil
08-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Mountain climbers, skydivers, skin divers, race car drivers, spelunkers, base jumpers, etc, don't do their thing on PUBLIC ROADS.

Are you selling your street car, too, because it has a computer telling you what to do? Do you think that fighter pilots should quit flying because they have computers telling them what to do? What about airline pilots?

Maybe you shouldn't have bought the Spyder, really.

PaladinLV
08-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Well, as an "experienced race car driver" you know the difference between running an oval track and the public highways and city streets. ;)

AJ

SailnDive
08-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Well, as an "experienced race car driver" you know the difference between running an oval track and the public highways and city streets. ;)

AJ

I Never ran an oval track. The tracks that I raced on had uphills/downhills, right and left corners, fast and slow corner, lots of braking and gear shifting...just like our highways in the hills of WV. I love these mountain roads. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

DC1
08-07-2015, 09:34 PM
You can ride the spyder VERY aggressively without the nanny kicking in. Of course once you find her limits there are ways to get more aggressive. Bajaron's swaybar comes to mind, better tires, shocks, laser alignment all available to keep nanny a little more at bay. So when you get comfortable with the cornering, then explore other options. The last of which should be the VSS.

I felt like nanny was holding me back in the twisties in the beginning and kinda felt I wished it could be "loosened up" as it kicked in several times in the Ozark twisties 2 up, but I was pulling front wheels up and likely nanny was saving my wife and I from some bad mojo...I can take the curves much better 1 up and have improved smoothness and speed 2 up and may go the aftermarket route eventually to increase cornering speed further........ But for now I just take the curves smooth as I can and run right up to where I know nanny is about ready to kick in....and she does every now and then and tells me to back it off a smidge...I didn' t like her much to start with but I appreciate her now...

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 07:24 AM
She IS an acquired taste... :D

rays hell
08-08-2015, 10:45 AM
You mentioned trading your Spyder for a Harley. Even the new Harleys have ABS and EFI. Me thinks computers are here to stay.

DrewNJ
08-08-2015, 11:03 AM
You mentioned trading your Spyder for a Harley. Even the new Harleys have ABS and EFI. Me thinks computers are here to stay.
Not all of them have abs. It's an option. EFI IMHO is the way to go for fueling. So much nicer tuning with a laptop or phone vs. Taking carbs apart to rejet. The EFI tuning ability for harley is WAY ahead of the antiquated add on tuning for the spyders.

jcthorne
08-08-2015, 11:14 AM

If that is the way you really want to drive the RT, you will never know nanny is there unless something really bad comes your way.

wiredgeorge
08-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Wow. Kind of surprising that we have so many folks who think they are going fast on a Spyder. If you want speed, why a Spyder? An RT? Really? And the alternative for the OP was what? An Electra Glide Rushmore? Bwhahahaha Get a sport bike if you want fast. They also have a bazillion electronic systems to help the rider from doing stupid... traction control, lean angle control, ABS, wheelie control, etc. The current Cycle World tests four or five of these bikes and all could get to 180 mph in about 16 seconds and most coiuld do the quarter mile in 10 seconds or less. And all cost a bunch less than a new RT hehe Did you folks go into a Can-Am dealer and say "whatcha got that is really fast"? and have the dealer point you to an RT? Well, this has been an amusing thread... should be labeled "internet bench racing for seniors". :clap:

Grandpot
08-08-2015, 11:25 AM
We are spending way too much time on this thread. If you aren't pushing the machine to where Nanny kicks in, what's the point?
If you need something more aggressive, get a F3 or a crotch rocket.

Pampurrs
08-08-2015, 11:28 AM
What exactly happens when the Nanny kicks in? I feel that I ride rather aggressively, but haven't noticed anything. :dontknow:

Pam

Country Joe
08-08-2015, 03:11 PM
As the husband of a new Spyder ryder, I am curious how many riders here have ever had the nanny cut power or apply the brakes. I seriously doubt my wife will ever get any VSS intervention. I just don't see it happening even at a half way spirited pace.

Joe

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-08-2015, 03:18 PM
What exactly happens when the Nanny kicks in? I feel that I ride rather aggressively, but haven't noticed anything. :dontknow:

Pam
I've had a couple of different situations, with different responses. One that I encounter fairly often is taking off from a stop sign or traffic light and hitting the throttle hard while making a sharp left or right turn. The motor acts like it's starving for fuel and doesn't want to wind up. As soon as I get going straight it breaks loose. At least I think it's Nanny holding me back. I just had the recall done which entailed an ECM upgrade, and I had new plugs and wires installed, so I don't think it's an engine acting up issue.

The other time was twice over the 4th of July going around hairpin turns signed at 15 mph. A front tire squawked loudly. Not sure if it slid sideways or if Nanny hit the brake hard, but what I felt was an instant deceleration and a bit of jerk on the handlebar. Similar thing happened a couple of times last year coming home from SITR on CA 3 going around 20 mph curves at something like 35 or 40 mph. A tire squealed and the bike quickly slowed down. The quick deceleration does affect steering momentarily.