PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got "doughboy" hands from ryding?

Roadster Renovations
08-03-2015, 05:46 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112898&stc=1

Bob Denman
08-03-2015, 05:48 PM
:shocked: Let go of the bars once in a while, and give each of those catcher's mitts a good shaking! :thumbup:

kngfsh27
08-03-2015, 05:49 PM
I would get from riding my Harley. I don't seem to get it anymore with the Spyder. Cruise control really helps though.

ARtraveler
08-03-2015, 05:55 PM
:agree: x 2. The cruise seems to help a lot.

bmccaffrey
08-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Take the gloves off for a bit and get some vitamin D on them hands :shocked:

Roadster Renovations
08-03-2015, 06:48 PM
:shocked: Let go of the bars once in a while, and give each of those catcher's mitts a good shaking! :thumbup:

That is sun tan on the arms! I wear my gel gloves all the time when riding. And, yeah, cruise control for sure. In fact, I use it in town so I won't get stopped exceeding their expectations!!

ByronM
08-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Take the gloves off for a bit and get some vitamin D on them hands :shocked:
:cus:

Bingo a winner.

Tazzel
08-03-2015, 08:31 PM
same issue with my hands. I use self tanning lotion on the back of my hands to even things up.

AY4B
08-03-2015, 08:43 PM
I quit wearing gloves for short rides. I like the direct contact with the grips.

Chupaca
08-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Water retension comes to mind. Are you over hydrating..?? You can drown from excess water/fluids especially if your body does not release any...just a thought. :thumbup:

jaherbst
08-03-2015, 08:56 PM
If your getting that much sun on your arms you are risking skin cancer. Seriously! It is a cumulative thing and can appear anywhere on your body. I am a surviver. You should be riding with a light long sleeve shirt with a PDF rating. Most sporting goods stores have them. Plus you will be cooler with out the direct sun on your arms believe it or not.

I spent many years as a farm kid on a tractor with no shirt or at least a T-shirt. Skin cancer of the melanoma type has a high fatality rate. Please consider this and cover up when in direct sunlight.

Mother Jack

missouriboy
08-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Cruise control works best for me.

Mike (Blue-Knight) gave a good one, and it works for me too... release your grip with just your fingers, but not your thumbs, for a little while. Point those fingers straight ahead: this makes you relax your death-grip, which in turn relaxes your hands, while retaining good steering control, and "good enough" throttle control. It's the best position for being instantly ready to just close your fingers again to restore total control.
Thanks for that one, Mike! :yes:

wyliec
08-03-2015, 09:25 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112898&stc=1

Is the swelling only after riding? Or, do you have swelling at other times?

Roadster Renovations
08-03-2015, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=wyliec;1016862]Is the swelling only after riding? Or, do you have swelling at other times?[/QUOTE

No swelling. That's from 40 plus years working as an auto mechanic. No water retention.....

On longer rides I do wear a long sleeve denim shirt. Probably should start doing that on the short rides, too....

wyliec
08-03-2015, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=wyliec;1016862]Is the swelling only after riding? Or, do you have swelling at other times?[/QUOTE

No swelling. That's from 40 plus years working as an auto mechanic. No water retention.....

On longer rides I do wear a long sleeve denim shirt. Probably should start doing that on the short rides, too....

I'm confused, which is easy to do. Are you saying what we see in the picture is not swelling, and your hands are like that all the time? If that's the case, there is no problem, other than maybe too much tanning on your arms.

Roadster Renovations
08-04-2015, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=Doc Humphreys;1016882]

I'm confused, which is easy to do. Are you saying what we see in the picture is not swelling, and your hands are like that all the time? If that's the case, there is no problem, other than maybe too much tanning on your arms.

Yeah, was talking about the tan line!

Bob Denman
08-04-2015, 06:32 AM
:D I saw the typical "Farmer's Suntan", and discounted it... :D
You must have some powerful paws... :shocked: :bowdown:

AY4B
08-04-2015, 07:04 AM
The swelling could be from weight gain, venous disease, or just getting old. I have all those problems. You get old, fat, and the valves on your arms and legs quit working. You ride, mow, weed eat, and your hands feel like they are vibrating, long after your done. My feet, ankles also swell. My hip occasionally locks up and starts cramping. My neck starts hurting. Go on a low carb diet and exercise. Drink plenty of water. and like everyone says protect your skin, head, ears, eyes...

Bob Denman
08-04-2015, 07:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biPXh-4nXSY&feature=player_detailpage

AY4B
08-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Also I have noticed getting older, Your hands and feet keep growing. I had my wedding ring resized, and have gone from a 12 to a 14 shoe over the years.

Bob Denman
08-04-2015, 07:56 AM
:D That's because you're finally "puddling" down into your shoes... :D

AY4B
08-04-2015, 08:02 AM
:D That's because you're finally "puddling" down into your shoes... :D

You got that right, Did I also include getting shorter also?

Bob Denman
08-04-2015, 08:17 AM
:shocked: I'm in the same boat...

What shouldn't be getting bigger; is...
And what could be bigger; isn't! :yikes:

And all that dang nose and ear hair!! :gaah:

AY4B
08-04-2015, 08:22 AM
:shocked: I'm in the same boat...

What shouldn't be getting bigger; is...
And what could be bigger; isn't! :yikes:

And all that dang nose and ear hair!! :gaah:

I was trying my best not to go there. :yes:

Bob Denman
08-04-2015, 08:29 AM
:D I know!! :roflblack:

AY4B
08-04-2015, 09:03 AM
:D I know!! :roflblack:

You could have said something nice like,
" you know what woman say about the size of a mans hands."
,wait a minute, that was feet, oh never mind.

Bob Denman
08-04-2015, 09:48 AM
:shocked: Unfortunately; The Missus hasn't found that to be true... :gaah:

cuznjohn
08-04-2015, 10:15 AM
you know what they say, big feet big socks,,,, now my hands go numb on me but never swell up.

wyliec
08-04-2015, 10:30 AM
The swelling could be from weight gain, venous disease, or just getting old. I have all those problems. You get old, fat, and the valves on your arms and legs quit working. You ride, mow, weed eat, and your hands feel like they are vibrating, long after your done. My feet, ankles also swell. My hip occasionally locks up and starts cramping. My neck starts hurting. Go on a low carb diet and exercise. Drink plenty of water. and like everyone says protect your skin, head, ears, eyes...

Altho what you said may be true, that doesn't explain why his hands only swell when he rides. I think the word 'old' is used too much. What I find is that some people use the word 'old' as an excuse not to do some form of exercise.

The only reason I asked (in another post) if the swelling was all the time was that if it is, go see a dr. Sorry to say; but, SL's is not the place for medical advice.

Doc,

What I find funny is that when someone says they have one problem, pretty soon you hear about all the problems that you may not have. I'm only expressing my opinion as everyone else has, which is probably worth less than the going rate of 2 cents.

AY4B,

I'm not picking on you. I do agree with this:
"Drink plenty of water. and like everyone says protect your skin, head, ears, eyes"

spydaman60
08-04-2015, 10:43 AM
i even got doughboy ankles and feet from wearing shorts on vacation and riding the spyder. i know, you're not supposed to wear shorts on the spyder! oh well, at least i wore boots and not croks!!:roflblack:

PrairieSpyder
08-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Altho what you said may be true, that doesn't explain why his hands only swell when he rides. I think the word 'old' is used too much. What I find is that some people use the word 'old' as an excuse not to do some form of exercise.

The only reason I asked (in another post) if the swelling was all the time was that if it is, go see a dr. Sorry to say; but, SL's is not the place for medical advice.

Doc,

What I find funny is that when someone says they have one problem, pretty soon you hear about all the problems that you may not have. I'm only expressing my opinion as everyone else has, which is probably worth less than the going rate of 2 cents.

AY4B,

I'm not picking on you. I do agree with this:
"Drink plenty of water. and like everyone says protect your skin, head, ears, eyes"

:agree: It's probably about hydration, over-use, etc. But you should ask your doctor and let him/her speculate.

mxz600
08-04-2015, 01:45 PM
No, but I have doughboy legs, they're not getting much sun this year.