PDA

View Full Version : 2nd thoughts on ATGATT

wyliec
08-03-2015, 05:27 PM
After hiking today, I thought about not gearing back up, and just wearing shorts, t-shirt, and low cut hiking shoes. Then I thought about the gentleman I worked with yesterday in rehab at the hospital.

A few Sundays ago he and his wife on his Harley, and two more bikers headed out for breakfast. He was leading and was hit by car coming from the opposite direction. He said that person had fallen asleep at the wheel. He (the Harley rider) sustained broken bones and a traumatic brain injury (TBI). The wife was hospitalized, and is now back at work. I busted on him a little about Harley and Spyders, and come to find out, he has ridden with one of our very own spyderlovers in the past. Oh yeah, he's even ridden with Slingshots, which was one of the other bikes (autocycle for Chupaca) that was with him that day.

In the end, I geared back up, and rode back home. I'm very lucky to work with all different types of patients, and trying to get them up and running again. I get to hear all kinds of stories.

Bob Denman
08-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Please give him our best, and let him know that we're hoping for a rapid and complete recovery for both he and his Wife. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Please give him our best, and let him know that we're hoping for a rapid and complete recovery for both he and his Wife. :thumbup:

:agree: x 2

Pirate looks at --
08-04-2015, 12:16 AM
:agree:X3. Interesting that you bring this up. I have been a pretty strict ATGATT proponent, but today I was home a thought I would run to the gym for a quick work out. I left wearing a Helmet, gloves, shorts, and running shoes! I have never felt so uncomfortable on a Motorcycle! It just didn't feel right, I kept saying that if I make it home alive, I will never do it again. Quite frankly I love getting all geared up!!:yes::yes::yes:

cptjam
08-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Rode to Alaska. Tired, gas station 200 yards. Rode over, gassed up. Back to hotel. I ride two wheels. Side stand down, dismount. Side stand penetrated parking lot, over I go! In Alaska, there are steel poles with outlets to plug in block heaters. Missed bashing my head in by one inch! I would have had a concussion at the least, dead at worst! ATGATT! ATGATT! No kidding!

Fjrwillie
08-04-2015, 08:10 AM
:agree:X3. Interesting that you bring this up. I have been a pretty strict ATGATT proponent, but today I was home a thought I would run to the gym for a quick work out. I left wearing a Helmet, gloves, shorts, and running shoes! I have never felt so uncomfortable on a Motorcycle! It just didn't feel right, I kept saying that if I make it home alive, I will never do it again. Quite frankly I love getting all geared up!!:yes::yes::yes:

Interesting how you felt and I know it. I was in Joisey chasing down some towns. We stopped and had some ice cream and before we got on the Garden State Parkway I took off my mesh jacket to ride in a TShirt. Got about 10 miles up and pulled into a state trooper spot and put my jacket back on. I couldn't stand the TShirt flapping all over the place.

Willie

Pirate looks at --
08-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Interesting how you felt and I know it. I was in Joisey chasing down some towns. We stopped and had some ice cream and before we got on the Garden State Parkway I took off my mesh jacket to ride in a TShirt. Got about 10 miles up and pulled into a state trooper spot and put my jacket back on. I couldn't stand the TShirt flapping all over the place.

Willie
That too, then there was the uncomfortable breeze up the leg of my shorts!:banghead: I felt like I was cheating on my wife!

Orange Spyder Man
08-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I am a proponent of ATGATT... never can be too pre-paired .. remember... STUPID HURTS !

osm

JayBros
08-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Racing motocross for a few of my wild young man years I've been down more ways than I can count (many probably because I wasn't that good), none of them pretty, all of 'em hurt. It's hotter than hell here and twice as humid this summer but I just cannot short change ATGATT. Wife kids me about all the effort to run a brief errand; I always reply, "It's my *ss, not yours."

ARtraveler
08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
ATGATT is good, and it works.

The one time you don't have it on is sometimes the time you may need it. To late when fate calls.

Beat Murphy's Law--be safe all the time. :yes::yes:

mxz600
08-04-2015, 01:08 PM
wyliec, hope your friends heal up and get back out there.

As far as ATGATT, not a fan and I never have been. I have to put on all the crap when I snowmobile just to stay warm. I enjoy just jumping on the bike and going without the ritual of getting geared up.

Road rash and broken bones heal, been there done that. And lets face it, I don't care what gear you wear, if you're caught in the big one good luck because you are going to need it. If you truly want to be safe, don't ride. That is the path my brother in-law takes. He just retired from being an xray tech at Bronson Hospital. Said he saw so many motorcycle patients come through he wanted noting to do with bikes.

SporterSpider
08-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I have been riding like a lot of you other people for years. Got involved in a head on car bike crash. I does not matter if you wear full gear or not if you tangle with a car you are going to get broken bones and road rash. I think that the extra gear might cut down on the injuries. It just was not my time yet. Someone was looking over me. The brain bucket that I had on has a big chunk out of it, that could have been my skull.